• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

rekameohs

Banned
I still have not subjected myself to ASM. Thankfully have a friend that will let me borrow it so I can see the clusterfuck.
It's not that it's a clusterfuck that makes it so bad; it's the fact that there's nothing close to a clusterfuck! Spider Man 3 was hilarious because of its ridiculousness. But ASM was so utterly boring that it was offensive.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
So what I'm getting out of all this shit is maybe I should check out John Carter?

I love MOS and John Carter.

I'm a rare breed it seems. Check it out though, plus it's OST is so damn good.

It's not that it's a clusterfuck that makes it so bad; it's the fact that there's nothing close to a clusterfuck! Spider Man 3 was hilarious because of its ridiculousness. But ASM was so utterly boring that it was offensive.

I think I once came up with an apt description.

Watching SM3 is like watching a ever-accelerating train full of dynamite race along a bridge whose tracks end a few hundred meters up, where below a massive oil refinery lies waiting. It's an exciting kind of train-wreck.

ASM is like a Disneyland choo-choo train going at 2mph that toddlers and their mothers hop on so they don't have to walk around the park, that wavers slightly every once in a while, before the engine dies and everybody just gets off and keeps going about their day.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Noble with a shaved head would be cool. I still would love to see Clancy Brown as a live action Luthor, because his voice work for the cartoons is fantastic.

Either one would be awesome, but I don't see it happening. I'm really curious if they're gonna go with a younger Lex closer to Supes age in any sequel.

So what I'm getting out of all this shit is maybe I should check out John Carter?

Yeah, it's really great if you like generic fantasy action/adventure movies with absolutely no passion, charisma, excitement, or fun. Fantastic in that regard. Especially the scenes where Taylor Kitsch is out-charisma'd by the rocks surrounding him. Just amazing. And the cookie cutter sci-fi aesthetics with absolutely no effort or inventiveness put into them at all. Breathtaking.

Make sure you see it on 3D blu-ray so you get the full experience of dullness that only a movie that took nearly a century to make can deliver.

Maybe I just saw the movie when I was in a bad mood. All I know is that I understand the love for Speed Racer, even if I don't particularly feel the same about it. I don't get the love for John Carter at all.

Dredd is awesome though.

jett

D-Member
Speed Racer is better than MOS, ASM, John Carter, Dredd and Returns

combined

i6RWnmv6zWg9n.gif

despite the much better lead in speed racer....scott pilgrim is a better film.

if michael birdface wasn't in scott pilgrim everyone would agree. i hate how all these films bomba though :(

Dead

well not really...yet
Speed Racer > Scott Pilgrim >>> MOS > John Carter >> ASM >>>>>>>>>>> Returns.

Still haven't seen Dredd

Raptor

despite the much better lead in speed racer....scott pilgrim is a better film.

if michael birdface wasn't in scott pilgrim everyone would agree. i hate how all these films bomba though :(

Speed Racer notebook race Little Speed made in his classroom is better than Scott Pilgrim.

jett

D-Member
You think John Carter is on the same level as ASM?

You were my brother, jett!

You know I never thought much about John Carter. They're both middle of the road blockbusters, competently made and neither is awful. JC is better but eh. Just like Raimi's Spider-man did everything ASM did and did it better, the same is true for Avatar and JC.

jett

D-Member
WRONG

and this isn't even the best battle in the film

also the opening credits were amazing. felt like blur's song 2 music video on crack.

The only good fight scene in Scat Pilgrim is the last one.

And that movie really has got to have one of the worst miscast main characters of all-time.

The only good fight scene in Scat Pilgrim is the last one.

And that movie really has got to have one of the worst miscast main characters of all-time.

scott pilgrim fight scenes only rivalled by smallville battle in here and the comic book films pre-batman begins.

edgar wright will save us all with ant man. believe. future contender for GOAT comic book movie.

I'll give you guys this, Scott Pilgrim was one of the very unique movies I have seen. And I googled the chick who played Ramona in it for days.

Raptor

scott pilgrim fight scenes only rivalled by smallville battle in here and the comic book films pre-batman begins.

edgar wright will save us all with ant man. believe. future contender for GOAT comic book movie.

Everyone was awesome and funny but Cera.

God damn what the fuck was Edgar thinking?

Zabka

I don't think all of the blame for Scott Pilgrim lies with Cera, even though he's pretty painful to watch. The whole relationship he has with Ramona was cut down to be utterly bland and she looked like she couldn't stand being around him. The original ending made way more sense with the way the movie played out.

Zod's no Loki or Joker, but he's well above the comic book movie average.

Lizard
Sandman
Venom
Doctor Octopus
Green Goblin
Doctor Doom
Hector Hammond
Red Skull
Iron Monger
Whiplash
Justin Hammer
Luthor (Spacey version)
Kingpin
Abomination
Absorbing Dad
Striker
Any of the Brotherhood of Mutants that aren't Magneto
Sebastian Shaw
Bane
Talia

Did I miss any? Zod's better than all of those.

Above Zod?

Joker
Magneto
Loki
maaaaaaaaybe Ras Al Ghul. (Charming, and a good actor, but not much of a character)
Maybe Two-Face. He wasn't a villain for long enough to really rank

Disagree with Zod being above the comic book villain average. He felt much like a Red Skull or a Whiplash to me. Faora felt like a better villain to me.

Out of your list I would only have the following above the average:

Joker
Magneto
Loki
Ras Al Ghul
Doctor Octopus
Lex Luthor

Matrix

This thread confuses the shit out of me.

Dead

well not really...yet
why would I buy a movie on amazon lol.

Looks like I can get it locally for about $20. Now to decide if I should go and buy it and watch it tonight...

Shaanyboi

Banned
Disagree with Zod being above the comic book villain average. He felt much like a Red Skull or a Whiplash to me. Faora felt like a better villain to me.

Faora is a great minion. But as a stand-alone villain, I'm not so sure how interesting she'd be to follow.

It's like if Deathstroke or Deadshot were in a movie. They can be awesome and can lead to some cool fights, but I wouldn't want to see them playing lead villain.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Oh yeah? Well, Speed Racer hates you!

I know it does. I paid $5 for my blu-ray of Speed Racer and I feel like I got robbed every time I look at it on the shelf. And it laughs at me mockingly, because the NeoGAF Speed Racer 2008 Defense Force is the reason why I paid those $5 in the first place. Because I thought that maybe I missed some hidden beauty in it when I saw it in the theater, maybe GAF was right, and I was wrong. So I bought it, and hated it even more the second time around.

It's laughing at me right now.....

Oh yeah, and Superman Returns > Man of Steel. :D

Top Bottom