• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

rekameohs

Banned
I don't think there's ever been a good Superman movie: Donner films, Returns, and MoS included. My opinion, of course. I'm not a fan of the character, but I know that it's possible to make a good one.

The Iron Giant is one of my favorite films and Chronicle was one of the biggest surprises last year, and they had similar themes to Superman's.

inm8num2

Chronicle was great. I got a little tired of all the
anguished screaming
in the last act, but the movie was quite solid.

Log4Girlz

I just got done watching Superboy Returns. I actually watched it over three days because honestly I kept falling asleep. :lol It's just as boring, dull and bland as I remembered. Truly does nothing of interest with the character(or any character), unless making Superman creepily obsessed with Lois is an exciting proposition to you. Making a sequel to the Donner movie was just a monumentally stupid notion, SR truly is a complete and total waste of time and money. Singer, you idiot.

And I still don't fucking like the ugly ass turquoise color palette that pervades the movie, never did, and never will. Sure, there are some tryhard "iconic" shots of Superman lifting mountains and cars. Who gives a FUCK.

Man of Steel may have its problems, but it is an infinitely more exciting and entertaining movie, and at least allows room for an improved sequel that isn't tethered to a goddamn 30 year-old movie.

Man that deleted scene with Superman going to Krypton in that Crystal ship was a complete fucking snooze.

What are the chances of WB introducing the next Batman in a Justice League movie as opposed to a stand off film? Henry Cavill is 30 years old. He isn't young anymore. A sequel to Man of Steel will likely happen after 3-4 years. Should they even go for a sequel? Why not just jump to Justice League?

What are the chances of WB introducing the next Batman in a Justice League movie as opposed to a stand off film? Henry Cavill is 30 years old. He isn't young anymore. A sequel to Man of Steel will likely happen after 3-4 years. Should they even go for a sequel? Why not just jump to Justice League?

A sequel to MoS will probably be out no later than 2015. 2016 max.

In any case, I'd much rather watch a sequel to this than a JLA film at this point.

Mediocre and incredibly disappointing.

Would love to know if you think another reboot is necessary. Cuz I mostly loved the cast, but where to go from now in a sequel, after all this destruction & death in MoS? The ending didn't even touch on the fact that most buildings around the Daily Planet shouldn't be standing anymore.

DerZuhälter;67425381 said:
Would love to know if you think another reboot is necessary. Cuz I mostly loved the cast, but where to go from now in a sequel, after all this destruction & death in MoS? The ending didn't even touch on the fact that most buildings around the Daily Planet shouldn't be standing anymore.

A reboot after Returns wasn't even necessary. Why would another reboot be required? The problem isn't the property or the portrayal of the film but rather script and editing decisions. If anything needs to be changed, it is the filmmaker and his writer and frankly I hope Warner Bros takes note of the feedback

M8dUzse.jpg

So the trailer is the best thing about the movie?

@Reboot

I personally think Clark's character and origin path has been damaged to a degree that there is no coming back from it. Not to mention that starting with this scale of destruction in the first movie leaves no room to "improve" upon.
Scaling down to Lex Luthor real estate schemes won't really work in a sequel and scaling up to Darkseid or Doomsday... well I personally think the amount of action and destruction was already to senselessly big so that wouldn't improve anything either.

DerZuhälter;67271716 said:
Both are non-existant. He stumbles into this adventure, he is not earth's protector or anything. Minor spoilers
After having the truth about him revealed by Jor-El he gets a speech of doing wonders being a shining example. What does he do? He goes back home and chills with mommy. Shouldn't he be doing something heroic now that he got the suit? Would he still have operated in secret or would have revealed himself? We don't know. If it weren't for Zod's ultimatum, who knows what he would have done.

If he did anything *but* go tell his mom that he found out his origins, it would be suspect.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
DerZuhälter;67432946 said:
So the trailer is the best thing about the movie?

I presume you're talking about Returns teaser trailer as well.

ReiGun

A reboot after Returns wasn't even necessary. Why would another reboot be required? The problem isn't the property or the portrayal of the film but rather script and editing decisions. If anything needs to be changed, it is the filmmaker and his writer and frankly I hope Warner Bros takes note of the feedback

I can bet the only feedback they take note of is the destruction because that's the camp that's been the loudest. :/

Raptor

I just got done watching Superboy Returns. I actually watched it over three days because honestly I kept falling asleep. :lol It's just as boring, dull and bland as I remembered. Truly does nothing of interest with the character(or any character), unless making Superman creepily obsessed with Lois is an exciting proposition to you. Making a sequel to the Donner movie was just a monumentally stupid notion, SR truly is a complete and total waste of time and money. Singer, you idiot.

And I still don't fucking like the ugly ass turquoise color palette that pervades the movie, never did, and never will. Sure, there are some tryhard "iconic" shots of Superman lifting mountains and cars. Who gives a FUCK.

Man of Steel may have its problems, but it is an infinitely more exciting and entertaining movie, and at least allows room for an improved sequel that isn't tethered to a goddamn 30 year-old movie.

This is 100% right.

:)

artist

Banned
I actually like the whole dark Nolan feel.

We had it with the dark knight trilogy and now superman. It could be like a DC signature and a great way to stand out from the avengers.

We get the fun comic book type of movie with marvel and this darker more realistic tone with DC. Best of bit worlds!

If this carries all the way to Justice League that would be sick!
This felt nothing like a Nolan movie.

vio

Totally missed it. This is perfect post.

3168534_o.gif

vio

I`ve seen your stuff also on other websites. I think it was Breaking Bad art and one of the TDKR pieces.

Eidan

So true. So goddamn true. Especially the bolded.

My god I fucking hate Superman Returns.

Pachinko

I'd still like to see this movie but literally everyone I know has been scared off by critics or watched it opening night.

Is it still as pathetic as I think it is to see a movie solo ? I did that once as a kid and hated it (summer of '96 , independence day) , movies should be a social experience.

Thing is though , I live literally across the street from the theater so it's nothing to go watch it in an hour....

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'd still like to see this movie but literally everyone I know has been scared off by critics or watched it opening night.

Is it still as pathetic as I think it is to see a movie solo ? I did that once as a kid and hated it (summer of '96 , independence day) , movies should be a social experience.

Thing is though , I live literally across the street from the theater so it's nothing to go watch it in an hour....

If you typically like Superman, then go see it. You might be disappointed or you might love the hell out of it, but it's worth seeing for the action scenes alone.

kehs

Banned

Movies are a social thing? I love watching movies alone. No dickhead friend interrupting me while superman kills Lois lane.

Action side, what was better in Man of Steel [than in Returns]? Let's state the categories. Which of the two films come out on top in each area?

• Cinematography
  • Script
  • Characters
  • Score

I've done it. There is nothing wrong with it.

can someone explain to me why the general after he takes off his mask starts becoming like superman when he already knows that he has super human strength? i don't get that whole mask thing. why do they have to wear a mask?

Cinematography: Superman Returns. It's simply a prettier movie. Not to say what Snyder chose to do visually didn't work for what his approach was, but the photography in Returns is just more impressive.

Script: Gonna give it to Goyer, honestly. Although we're basically deciding between two C-grade papers, here. Returns' script is borked from jump with a premise that never makes sense, and the film never makes it make sense, so everything that's happening seems like a weird, uncomfortable dream. Goyer's script is full of expository dialog, and the structure of it is a little too complicated for its own good, but the ideas at least chain together and support themselves - even if the execution of those ideas is a little lacking.

Characters: Man of Steel. They didn't talk like normal people half the time, but there were moments of legitimate emotion that shone through almost entirely because of the actors work in fleshing out characterizations. Again - this isn't a situation where either movie is an example of great characterization, period. They both have flaws (almost everyone in Superman Returns is the same shade of dour, for example) but if I had to pick between the two, I'd say Man of Steel handles it a little better.

Score: This one's tough, because while Ottman comes up with his own variation on a romance theme for Lois & Superman, and it evokes its own sense of melancholy and longing all on its own, much of Ottman's score really does rely on Williams' pre-existing music to provide oomph. Zimmer's score doesn't use any of Williams' compositions, but the way the score was used in the film can become a little oppressive. I feel it'd be unfair to allow Williams' compositions to be used in the comparison. So Zimmer's original work gets the nod over Ottman's original work.

Saw this on Friday... loved it. Really, really good. It had some pacing issues (after the opening bit), but it was quite awesome and it was great seeing Superman kick some ass and actually do something more than just standing around and trying to look good. Very exciting.

Definitely one of the better superhero films in my opinion because it actually felt like a real superhero film.

Action side, what was better in Man of Steel [than in Returns]? Let's state the categories. Which of the two films come out on top in each area?

• Cinematography
  • Script
  • Characters
  • Score

Cinematography: superman returns
Script: man of steel
Characters: man of steel
Score: man of steel

Supereturns wins cinematography on trying to envoke more emotion through imagery which mos did thru script

I was going to finish and colour it but my tablet broke just before MOS released and so I'm just going to wait and save up for a good one. Thanks for the compliment btw I have more stuff on my tumblr http://messypandas.tumblr.com/

dued i've seen this stuff before. so you're the one... you do all this on a wacom tablet?

I get off work early Wednesday, so I am going for a 3rd viewing. My first two were in 2D, Should I watch it in 3D?

nah,not worth it.

I saw it twice in 3D and once in 2D. I wish I went for 2D for my first two screenings as well. :(

(3D was the only way of getting reserved seats on opening day)

I hope 3D fucking dies.

woah woah, 3D is awesome at home when you use stereoscopic 3D. both movies and games look fantastic with it. but at the theater it's mostly garbage.

can someone explain to me why the general after he takes off his mask starts becoming like superman when he already knows that he has super human strength? i don't get that whole mask thing. why do they have to wear a mask?

the mask (helmet?) blocked their vision/heraing powers. he was overwhelmed once the mask came off.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

• Cinematography
  • Script
  • Characters
  • Score

Cinematography: Superman Returns (though I personally prefer MOS's look more)
Script : MOS
Characters: MOS
Score: MOS, but I do enjoy some of Ottoman's take on Williams classic themes.

Top Bottom