• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

A city under siege from terrorists is a hell of a lot more plausible premise than a device that vaporizes water without affecting the human body.

That didn't tend to bother me, i just figured it had something to do with the form the water was in whilst in a human body (in general it just didn't worry me). I thought the machine getting turned on in the ocean and not doing anything to stand out more.

Ha, no. If Anything DKR was the most realistic of the three movies.

6kXcN7L.gif

No. And if anything, it's about as unrealistic as the Marvel movies. On its attempt to be "realistic" TDKR comes off really stupid at times, at least a movie like Avengers (not that I like it) wasn't shy about being unrealistic.

Overdelivered first weekend
Adjustment correction 2nd weekend
Stabilized 3rd weekend.

By your logic it would have dropped another 60% on 3rd weekend, it didnt.

By my logic MOS hype dialed down with the first weekend drop, and then had standard drops like a standard big budget blockbuster. 13 movies last year made over 530 million worldwide (where MOS sits at now).

So what I'm trying to say isn't that MOS "tanked", but that hype levels pre release suggested a bigger success story. And that's because the quality wasn't there, because if the quality was there this movie would've done much more. That's all I'm sayin.

By my logic MOS hype dialed down with the first weekend drop, and then had standard drops like a standard big budget blockbuster. 13 movies last year made over 530 million worldwide (where MOS sits at now).

So what I'm trying to say isn't that MOS "tanked", but that hype levels pre release suggested a bigger success story. And that's because the quality wasn't there, because if the quality was there this movie would've done much more. That's all I'm sayin.

The movies box office is delivering exactly according to the hype

Only one movie has reaching 300 mill this year

Iron man 3

The other expected ones:

man of steel
Monsters university
Despicable me 2

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
No. And if anything, it's about as unrealistic as the Marvel movies. On its attempt to be "realistic" TDKR comes off really stupid at times, at least a movie like Avengers (not that I like it) wasn't shy about being unrealistic.

DKR was definitely the most "comic book" of the three, imo, which actually made it endearing to me, despite its flaws.

The movies box office is delivering exacting according to the hype

You are trying to rewrite history. http://www.deadline.com/2008/07/dark-knight-predictions-130m-weekend/

Read that, then tell me TDK "over delivered". Sure it over delivered against safe expectations, but it delivered on the huge pre release hype where you had a bunch of people on GAF saying it could break records.

Come on. This is just lame man, selling the idea that MOS performed according to the hype with a bad 2nd weekend drop and not so positive reviews? 225 million budget, biggest marketing campaign of the year, a lot of people predicting WW between 800 to 1.4, and straight predicting it to be on par with the best in quality...

But hey, it is what it is. You are free to believe that MOS delivered on the pre release hype. Lowered expectations and all that. Made less money than ASM with a fuckload more hype.

JaggedSac

That's why you had people talking about Superman doing a billion, hell you even had people talking about MOS being the biggest box office performer of the year. You had reports of MOS tracking ahead of Iron Man 3!

Those people should have been called out and mocked the instant that nonsense was said.

in saw this twice. much better second time around. also, I went back and watched the trailer #2 in HD. my god it made my balls swell with pride. that music in it is just amazing. does anyone know what it is? it's the one with the girl chanting in the background.. like gladiator type music.

BadAss2961

Nah. You could argue that there's plenty of bullshit happening in The Dark Knight Rises, but to reduce it to Marvel levels is just hyperbole. There's nothing realistic about any of Marvel's movies.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
in saw this twice. much better second time around. also, I went back and watched the trailer #2 in HD. my god it made my balls swell with pride. that music in it is just amazing. does anyone know what it is? it's the one with the girl chanting in the background.. like gladiator type music.

The Song is "Elegy" by Lisa Gerrard & Patrick Cassidy

You are trying to rewrite history. http://www.deadline.com/2008/07/dark-knight-predictions-130m-weekend/

Read that, then tell me TDK "over delivered". Sure it over delivered against safe expectations, but it delivered on the huge pre release hype where you had a bunch of people on GAF saying it could break records.

Come on. This is just lame man, selling the idea that MOS performed according to the hype with a bad 2nd weekend drop and not so positive reviews? 225 million budget, biggest marketing campaign of the year, a lot of people predicting WW between 800 to 1.4, and straight predicting it to be on par with the best in quality...

But hey, it is what it is. You are free to believe that MOS delivered on the pre release hype. Lowered expectations and all that. Made less money than ASM with a fuckload more hype.

I was talking about Man of Steel......lol and no its not lame to think in fact its box office is right in line with expectations.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/drops.htm

biggest 2nd weekend drops....

its not even in the top 100

artist

Banned

Where are these people?

Mario007

Since we're talking box office, MoS is currently 3rd highest earning Superhero Origin film in the US, being behind only Spiderman and Ironman. http://boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=superheroorigin.htm Depending on its run, there is a chance MoS will pass Ironman too actually, as Ironman is currently tracking behind MoS in the same period but that movie had beastly legs.

It is also already the highest earning reboot as it just passed ASM.

With the overseas numbers after this weekend, MoS will have defintely surpassed the total for Ironman, leaving it as the 3rd highest earning Superhero origin film of all time, behind Spiderman and ASM, with a chance to overpass ASM depending on this week's numbers. MoS will definitely be over 600million by the end of this weekend.

MoS drop this week is only 35% on Friday which shows the movie having some legs and probably tells us the second weekend was the market correcting itself due to the onslaught of two blockbusters being released that weekend.

artist

Banned
Since we're talking box office, MoS is currently 3rd highest earning Superhero Origin film in the US, being behind only Spiderman and Ironman. http://boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=superheroorigin.htm Depending on its run, there is a chance MoS will pass Ironman too actually, as Ironman is currently tracking behind MoS in the same period but that movie had beastly legs.

It is also already the highest earning reboot as it just passed ASM.

With the overseas numbers after this weekend, MoS will have defintely surpassed the total for Ironman, leaving it as the 3rd highest earning Superhero origin film of all time, behind Spiderman and ASM, with a chance to overpass ASM depending on this week's numbers. MoS will definitely be over 600million by the end of this weekend.

MoS drop this week is only 35% on Friday which shows the movie having some legs and probably tells us the second weekend was the market correcting itself due to the onslaught of two blockbusters being released that weekend.
It will pass Ironman WW but not domestic. You also need to keep in mind that Ironman is a May release while MoS isnt, Ironman also had far less competition but at the same time didnt have 3D.

MoS is right within the expected gross range and WB is most likely very happy with it's BO performance.

Mario007

It will pass Ironman WW but not domestic. You also need to keep in mind that Ironman is a May release while MoS isnt, Ironman also had far less competition but at the same time didnt have 3D.

MoS is right within the expected gross range and WB is most likely very happy with it's BO performance.

Yeah I agree with you, though I guess I would say there is maybe 15-20% chance that it'll pass Ironman in the US too. I've looked at Ironman and that movie had a 16 week run, which is damn impressive and that's how it made its money. I guess with the summer blockbusters being released MoS won't have that luxury, but we'll see. I'm not exactly holding my breath.
Ironman wordwide being passed by I'd say is a matter of this weekend really.

I forgot Ironman didn't have 3D.

I'd say WB are pretty damn happy, it's their highest grossing comic book movie after TDK and TDKR. As I've said it looks like it could even end up being the biggest reboot ever worldwide and may end up 100 mil above Ironman worldwide too or more so that's definitely the sort of foundation you want to establish a new franchise or universe.

spuit*11

Banned
What an incredible shitfest.

Halfway through I was actually rooting for Zod because he seemed to have a purpose, a good reason for his actions and made superman look like a fucking tool.

Way to go Snyder you talentless hack, another trillion dollar special effects budget with zero creative vision and no soul. How did he even get this job, I wonder.

A good demonstration of what is wrong with hollywood movies today rolled up in a two hours package.

artist

Banned
Yeah I agree with you, though I guess I would say there is maybe 15-20% chance that it'll pass Ironman in the US too. I've looked at Ironman and that movie had a 16 week run, which is damn impressive and that's how it made its money. I guess with the summer blockbusters being released MoS won't have that luxury, but we'll see. I'm not exactly holding my breath.
Ironman wordwide being passed by I'd say is a matter of this weekend really.

I forgot Ironman didn't have 3D.

I'd say WB are pretty damn happy, it's their highest grossing comic book movie after TDK and TDKR. As I've said it looks like it could even end up being the biggest reboot ever worldwide and may end up 100 mil above Ironman worldwide too or more so that's definitely the sort of foundation you want to establish a new franchise or universe.
Ironman was in theatres for around ~23 weeks but even Returns was kept hanging in theatres for ~18 weeks by WB. So being in theatres is really the decision of the studio, besides the BO performance.

It MoS drops 45% in it's weekly tallies from here, it'll be around 299M by the 20th week.

Mario007

Ironman was in theatres for around ~23 weeks but even Returns was kept hanging in theatres for ~18 weeks by WB. So being in theatres is really the decision of the studio, besides the BO performance.

It MoS drops 45% in it's weekly tallies from here, it'll be around 299M by the 20th week.

Oh right thanks for clarification there! Will be interesting to watch.

jg4xchamp

I wanted to like Man of Steel, because I'd like for a movie to do Superman some justice. Beyond the spectacle I thought the movie was weak. The opening stretch of the movie is just poorly edited and oddly paced. I feel like none of the neat ideas the movie does have actually get the time to marinate into something big. To the point I think the film tackled too many story points, and didn't do any of them justice.

In terms of comics, cartoons(especially cartoons), graphics novels, or even videogames I like the stuff from the DC side way more. But in terms of film? Marvel's brand of pop corn flicks are just more enjoyable. They don't take themselves so seriously, they are some proper escapism, and the spectacle feels better directed usually.

The fact that I think Spiderman is terrible as a character, and his movie is probably my favorite superhero flick(Spiderman 1 and 2) is a little disappointing. Albeit I still like the first two Nolan Batman flicks.

So Can Crusher, where abouts are those people expecting this to gross 800M to 1.4 billion?

He might be referring to one of the b.o. threads after Man of Steel's opening weekend where me, Kswiston & another poster got confused as to worldwide projections vs. foreign projections; I took a 600 mil projection to mean foreign only instead of worldwide. That was cleared up within the day, though

He might just be talking out of his ass, though. Which he does pretty frequently. Almost nonstop, actually :)

Funny story: I'm on vacation right now. The hotel we're staying at has a HUGE rack of DVDs for the tenants. Wife didn't remember if she'd ever watched Superman Returns. So we took it back to the room and put it on. As the opening credits play, she goes "We JUST watched this, didn't we?" and I say "no, that was Superman: The Movie, we watched that a couple months ago. This just has really similar opening credits."

About 40 minutes pass, and she goes "oh yeah. Okay. Lex Luthor makes an island in the atlantic and Parker Posey should have been Lois Lane. I remember this."

She fell asleep 10 minutes later.

edit: Also, looks like Den of Geek reviewed the scorehttp://www.denofgeek.com/movies/man-of-steel/26228/music-in-film-man-of-steel-soundtrack-review - pretty interesting read, and not just because they used my remix as an example of how Zimmer was definitely being subtle (yes, subtle) about referencing Williams within that score.

That should be pretty interesting. I hope Waid didn't take the reaction to his review as completely negative. Even people who liked the movie seemed to be using that review as a means to buttress their own opinions. I know people who didn't like the movie seemed to use Waid's review as a stand-in for them writing one of their own. They'd just point to Waid and go "That's basically it, right there."

This is a pretty choice quote, and goes to what I was talking about last week regarding a lot of critical reaction to the movie:

Mark Waid said:
When people challenge me with what would you have had him do in that situation, my answer is not I would have had him put his hand over his eyes or I would have had him fly away. My answer is I wouldn’t have put him in that position. As a writer, and I could be wrong, I don’t think Superman is built for that kind of story. I don’t think Superman is built as a character to fail the Kobayashi Maru.

I like that he specifically referenced the Kobayashi Maru, too. That's exactly what the end of the movie is, and Waid's solution would be to rewrite the movie so there's no Kobayashi Maru. Most people who have a problem with the movie's climax in the train station seem to end up leaning that way as well.

He makes mention of how people seemed to present/react to his review as being totally negative ("Read how Mark Waid hates Man of Steel!", people shredding him for crapping on the movie, etc.), but he goes out of his way to state that wasn't his viewpoint.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
He might be referring to one of the b.o. threads after Man of Steel's opening weekend where me, Kswiston & another poster got confused as to worldwide projections vs. foreign projections; I took a 600 mil projection to mean foreign only instead of worldwide. That was cleared up within the day, though

He might just be talking out of his ass, though. Which he does pretty frequently. Almost nonstop, actually :)

Funny story: I'm on vacation right now. The hotel we're staying at has a HUGE rack of DVDs for the tenants. Wife didn't remember if she'd ever watched Superman Returns. So we took it back to the room and put it on. As the opening credits play, she goes "We JUST watched this, didn't we?" and I say "no, that was Superman: The Movie, we watched that a couple months ago. This just has really similar opening credits."

About 40 minutes pass, and she goes "oh yeah. Okay. Lex Luthor makes an island in the atlantic and Parker Posey should have been Lois Lane. I remember this."

She fell asleep 10 minutes later.

edit: Also, looks like Den of Geek reviewed the scorehttp://www.denofgeek.com/movies/man-of-steel/26228/music-in-film-man-of-steel-soundtrack-review - pretty interesting read, and not just because they used my remix as an example of how Zimmer was definitely being subtle (yes, subtle) about referencing Williams within that score.

lol pretty much man Superman Returns is damn near a carbon copy of the first movie

Zabka

One thing I agree with Waid about is the movie being so open-ended with its themes and plot. For all of Goyer's talk about Nolan telling him not to save anything for a sequel this movie comes off, like Waid says, as the first in a trilogy.

Yeah - I don't doubt that Nolan told Goyer to shoot his wad with this film, but I do doubt that Goyer actually followed that advice. Almost all of the narrative/character problems in this movie seem to be unattended to SPECIFICALLY as a means to address them in the second movie. It's gotta be done on purpose. "We'll use this as the fuel to make the 2nd movie go."

Toparaman

Banned
This is going to sound very hipster, but will I enjoy Man of Steel ironically? Like, if I go in expecting it to be bad? (This isn't usually something I do, but I really want to see a movie in theaters this weekend.)

I watched the Half in the Bag review, and they made the movie sound laughably bad. It's either this or Lone Ranger (I have zero interest in Abrams Trek).

Life is way too fuckin short to spend money going to movies just to sneer at them for 2 1/2 hours.

It's one thing for the Red Letter Media guys to do it - it's kind of their thing now. Their presence online depends on it.

But save your cash and spend it on something you think you might legitimately enjoy.

SmithnCo

This is going to sound very hipster, but will I enjoy Man of Steel ironically? Like, if I go in expecting it to be bad? (This isn't usually something I do, but I really want to see a movie in theaters this weekend.)

I watched the Half in the Bag review, and they made the movie sound laughably bad. It's either this or Lone Ranger (I have zero interest in Abrams Trek).

Probably not, you'll just be bored by it.

Kettch

Just got around to seeing it. I quite enjoyed the movie, especially the action of course. The wild west scene in particular was amazing.

Only a couple complaints with it. Main one is that I was really disappointed with Zod's character. He was just way too...dull. No presence at all. I really don't know how he managed to say something like "I will extract the codex from your son's corpse and rebuild Krypton upon his bones" and have it not sound menacing. And how many times did he repeat "I will find him!" at the start, like 5? I had to laugh after the final shout. Superman II Zod was fairly similar, but he at least had that regal nature of expecting everything to go his way as a matter of course that gave him a lot of presence in the film. This Zod had nothing.

Thankfully Faora was on the other end of the spectrum, such a spectacular villain. If the final fight had been against her instead of Zod it would have been far more entertaining to me.

ReiGun

Voices From Krypton has an interview with Mark Waid where he talks about the ending of MoS and the reaction his review got online.

Great interview.

I have to say I share Mark's worry pandering. I've long said WB has the entirely wrong attitude about DC and it's characters who aren't Batman - Superman and Wonder Woman especially. I can definitely see MoS's success being all the evidence they need that "young and brooding" Superman is the only Superman moving forward.

artist

Banned
You're kidding right? Go search previous man of steel topics where predictions were made. I know some people on gaf have short memory but give me a break.
No I'm not kidding.

It's a bannable offense if you claim something and then when get asked, you respond with "go search yourself". I can give examples .. so you better provide some posts as back to your claim.

Most likely the case here.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Took my mom to see it and she really liked it. It was also my 3rd time and I still really enjoyed it. Pretty cool when my 10 year old daughter and 60 year old mom can both share the joy with me!

MYE

In terms of comics, cartoons(especially cartoons), graphics novels, or even videogames I like the stuff from the DC side way more. But in terms of film? Marvel's brand of pop corn flicks are just more enjoyable. They don't take themselves so seriously, they are some proper escapism, and the spectacle feels better directed usually.

The fact that I think Spiderman is terrible as a character, and his movie is probably my favorite superhero flick(Spiderman 1 and 2) is a little disappointing. Albeit I still like the first two Nolan Batman flicks.

Yeah, DC is really gunning for the no fun allowed camp. Too bad the larger group that likes some joy and levity in their superhero movies will treat Marvels film division a lot better.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Anyone who thought MoS would earn more than TDK and TDKR, let alone by 30%, would have to be insane.

Did anyone seriously think that??? It's more comparable to Batman Begins than any of those two, being an origin story and a reboot, and coming off a couple decades worth of horrible Superman films (not to mention the horrible shitsnoozefest that was Returns).

I haven't seen the movie, but the key action scenes are all over Youtube and they look very CG and a bit confusing sometimes.

Hopefully, the rest of the movie, without the action, is better?

please show us which ones? I did search . I didn't find any at 1.4 Bills

You didn't find anyone saying this could beat Iron Man 3? Please son.

The problem I have with the Marvel films is not their humor nor comparable lightness, but just how flimsy and throw-away they feel.

Agreed, there isn't a single movie from Marvel themselves that has any sort of staying power. But to counter that point, it's better to have something light hearted and fun than something that takes itself seriously and yet does almost nothing right. Unfortunately Begins and Dark Knight, Spiderman 2 and X Men 2, are the only comic book movies out there that to this day I still want to re watch.

Top Bottom