• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Angry Fork

When you whent there you already knew it was about a guy in a suit flying. Expecting realism or a very well thought story is you just being dumb.

That isn't why people were disappointed with the movie. Who Framed Roger Rabbit isn't realistic but it's still way better than this movie.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Yeah, its a toy. The rest of the pics are up now...
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151480825967344.1073741885.58690437343&type=3

ipymamp.jpg

NqyleGO.jpg

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Already have the Cavill Supes one on pre-order... god damn you Hot Toys :(

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Anyone else thought it was silly how Superman needed to launch himself into flight like a space shuttle every single time?

This bugged the shit out of me. He even asks Lois to step back one time, that was ridiculous. Why wouldn't he simply float up (without putting her in any kind of blast off danger) and then go supersonic once he was clear of her? It's like he had no flying modulation of any kind.

Ugh the kid and Bosworth. Close to Dean Cain levels.

It really is sad that it took the kid all of two seconds to figure it out lol and the Donner version of Lois still never does, well since her memory was messed with ugh that stupid kiss.

That's one huge improvement over the Donner cut of Superman II. Not only does she figure it out herself, she corners Clark in such a way that he can't get out of admitting it.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
That's one huge improvement over the Donner cut of Superman II. Not only does she figure it out herself, she corners Clark in such a way that he can't get out of admitting it.

Yep, totally agree. I wonder how many people know about that scene or who have watched the Donner cut.

KanyeEast

Banned
Anyone else thought it was silly how Superman needed to launch himself into flight like a space shuttle every single time?

This bugged the shit out of me. He even asks Lois to step back one time, that was ridiculous. Why wouldn't he simply float up (without putting her in any kind of blast off danger) and then go supersonic once he was clear of her? It's like he had no flying modulation of any kind.

Really guys? Fo real? Superman just learned how to fly and still has to use his powers. He couldn't even control his laserbeam eyes. Maybe following the movie is a good begin for you guys.

Maxim726X

I thought the movie was... Okay. Not bad, not great.

The action scenes were certainly spectacular. If only the same effort could have been put into the script.

But the end of the last fight bothered me-
Superman basically goes apeshit over killing Zod, but didn't seem to care that his fight probably cost thousands of people their lives.

LosDaddie

Banned
I might pay for another viewing this weekend, if I get time. I've been itching to see this movie again.

I thought the movie was... Okay. Not bad, not great.

The action scenes were certainly spectacular. If only the same effort could have been put into the script.

But the end of the last fight bothered me-
Superman basically goes apeshit over killing Zod, but didn't seem to care that his fight probably cost thousands of people their lives.

uh-oh
Get ready for people to tell you that
all those buildings were empty, and not that many people died.

The smallville fight, mainly.

For me the excitement of a big Superman action scene hinges on his ability to prevent major damage from happening. This is so because Superman is inherently unbeatable.

While I appreciated the few seconds of choreo between Faora and Supes, the rest was no better than the stuff I saw in say the Incredible Hulk.

Why can't some of you people understand that this is a summer blockbuster, and it simply can't be exactly like the comic.

Changes obviously have to be made. For being a Superman movie, it's really awesome, and a fantastic beginning.

The next movie will likely also delve more into aspects of the character that we're familiar with and come to expect.

These first two movies are all about getting Supermans house in order, and setting things up for part 3, which will no doubt be some type of Justice League/Worlds Finest movie.

But all this hate for not being exactly like the comic book, I don't understand. I'm a big fan of the comic, and love what was done with the mythos in the movie. I'd much rather have a new take on the character, than something I've already read.

MoS totally delivered in terms of being a really great Superman movie, and being a stand alone Superman origin story.

kunonabi

Why can't some of you people understand that this is a summer blockbuster, and it simply can't be exactly like the comic.

Changes obviously have to be made. For being a Superman movie, it's really awesome, and a fantastic beginning.

The next movie will likely also delve more into aspects of the character that we're familiar with and come to expect.

These first two movies are all about getting Supermans house in order, and setting things up for part 3, which will no doubt be some type of Justice League/Worlds Finest movie.

But all this hate for not being exactly like the comic book, I don't understand. I'm a big fan of the comic, and love what was done with the mythos in the movie. I'd much rather have a new take on the character, than something I've already read.

MoS totally delivered in terms of being a really great Superman movie, and being a stand alone Superman origin story.

The problem is that the take is so far removed that barely resembles what makes people love the character to begin with or what he represents. No one is asking for a exact copy of the comics(nor should they) but what we got might as well be any super hero.

The problem is that the take is so far removed that barely resembles what makes people love the character to begin with or what he represents. No one is asking for a exact copy of the comics(nor should they) but what we got might as well be any super hero.

Speak for yourself. This is Superman as I understand him, and I have been a fan 4 decades.

One of the best things about the movie is that it gets across the "stanger in a strange land" thing that the silver age introduced to the character, but also made it make sens ewith being raised from infancy on Earth.

I had some issues with the movie, but I loved the treatment of the character.

Yes and we have seen it many times in the movies, it was time for something new and some fights for a change.

The point is to have a fight and Superman trying to prevent major damage at the same time. I mean you always have the option of watching Dragon Ball Z man if that's your thing.

J10

Banned
For me the excitement of a big Superman action scene hinges on his ability to prevent major damage from happening. This is so because Superman is inherently unbeatable.

While I appreciated the few seconds of choreo between Faora and Supes, the rest was no better than the stuff I saw in say the Incredible Hulk.

Remember the time Superman in Superman Returns spent the whole movie preventing major damage from happening and everybody said it was boring?

You fucking people.

Im not the one complaining bro.

lols.

Well yeah, I mean... isn't the point to make a Superman movie? Like for example, if you like this character it can't possibly be because of the kind of fights and action you saw in Man of Steel right?

Because that's not superman. It's just a guy with super powers, it could've been a Hulk movie and it would've been the same shit. Hell it's worse because it just looks like soft DBZ material.

Remember the time Superman in Superman Returns spent the whole movie preventing major damage from happening and everybody said it was boring?

You fucking people.

It's easy to twist arguments, but the point is that the plane scene in Superman perfectly captured what a Superman action sequence can be. The fact that the rest of the movie was a chore is another matter.

You fucking people.

Yeah well actually I thought the plane scene and the metropolis rescue was great. Really fun scenes that I still check out on youtube sometimes. Far more enjoyable than any action sequence in this film with the exception of the smallville fight. That was pretty cool

But the script and some choices they made suck. But then this script wasn't too good either...

I watched Returns again last night. Man, they butchered Lex. What an utter waste.

Best action scene(s) in Man of Steel were the Krypton scenes. That entire 30 mins was on another tier to the rest of the movie.

Raptor

Yeah well actually I thought the plane scene and the metropolis rescue was great. Really fun scenes that I still check out on youtube sometimes. Far more enjoyable than any action sequence in this film with the exception of the smallville fight. That was pretty cool

But the script and some choices they made suck. But then this script wasn't too good either...

Could be a subjective thing then because the last fight of MoS shits on everything Returns did, maybe even the Donners action too.

Not to mention the Smallville battle.

JB1981

I watched Returns again last night. Man, they butchered Lex. What an utter waste.

Best action scene(s) in Man of Steel were the Krypton scenes. That entire 30 mins was on another tier to the rest of the movie.

I like how Spacey has this big scene where he waxes on about the Titan Prometheus and how he was punished by the Gods because he wanted to share fire with the people. Now if THAT was Lex's motivation in this movie then that would have been interesting but no, Lex doesn't want to share fire with the people he just wants a plot of uninhabitable real estate. Stupid

Could be a subjective thing then because the last fight of MoS shits on everything Returns did, maybe even the Donners action too.

Not to mention the Smallville battle.

Smallville fight scene was really good, but the Zod fight at the end was arguably the weakest point in the movie. One huge fan I spoke to recently actually said it was boring. I don't know, but it certainly paled in comparison to the Smallville scene

JdFoX187

Banned
The point is to have a fight and Superman trying to prevent major damage at the same time. I mean you always have the option of watching Dragon Ball Z man if that's your thing.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the movie, but I thought Superman was doing that in the final battle.
Every time he hit Zod, he was directing him away from buildings and people. Every one of his attacks are trying to move Zod away from any populated area. It's Zod that's knocking Superman toward civilians and doing the majority of the damage -- like bringing down the building when he first got his heat vision.

But why would you say this?

What was it? Buildings getting destroyed, couple of basic punches and throws, more buildings getting destroyed and then they go to space and fuck up a sattelite and then they go down..... and land almost in the exact same spot in Metropolis which was just ridiculous btw, I guess it was another one of those "Lois needs to be there and we ran out of ways to make her travel at the speed of thought".

I simply don't get it. To me it was as if a kid was directing the movie and thought it would be awesome to have Superman and Zod just going through buildings and shit.

Raptor

Smallville fight scene was really good, but the Zod fight at the end was arguably the weakest point in the movie. One huge fan I spoke to recently actually said it was boring. I don't know, but it certainly paled in comparison to the Smallville scene

That last figth was everything I have dreamed of a Superman fight on a movie.

Maybe Im being biased here or too much of a Superman fanboy but damn it man, I seriously loved all that destruction caused by them fighting.

But why would you say this?

What was it? Buildings getting destroyed, couple of basic punches and throws, more buildings getting destroyed and then they go to space and fuck up a sattelite and then they go down..... and land almost in the exact same spot in Metropolis which was just ridiculous btw, I guess it was another one of those "Lois needs to be there and we ran out of ways to make her travel at the speed of thought".

I simply don't get it. To me it was as if a kid was directing the movie and thought it would be awesome to have Superman and Zod just going through buildings and shit.

Read above, is everything I had hoped for in a Superman movie, I saw Darkseid agains Supes in the TAS and god damn that was amazing, seeing in this movie was surreal.

I wouldn't say you are being a superman fanboy at all. You just fantasize about Superman powers in a juvenile way, in the sense that you see his powers as the coolest way to get into a fight that obliterates surroundings like in a Dragon Ball Z fight.

And I understand the appeal, but when you get down to these characters their actions need to be taken in context or else they are just a kids fantasy. The point being that you can have fun and still develop the character as the action is going on.

Spiderman 2 train sequence is a great example. You see Spiderman showcasing his moves, gets hurt (one of the reasons why Superman fights can't just be about throwing punches) saves people while web slinging and shit and Octopus is throwing the innocents around, they fight on the side of the train and shit, and then you get to see him show his character and use his powers to stop this train and overcome the odds as he does everything in his power to save those people. That's what a fucking super hero action sequence is about.

It's not about blowing shit up just because it's cool.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the movie, but I thought Superman was doing that in the final battle.
Every time he hit Zod, he was directing him away from buildings and people. Every one of his attacks are trying to move Zod away from any populated area. It's Zod that's knocking Superman toward civilians and doing the majority of the damage -- like bringing down the building when he first got his heat vision.

I think you are. I can recollect when Superman flies out of the falling building and almost inexplicably goes tumbling down cars until he hits a parking lot or whatever and brings half of it down. Zod didn't even touch him. Or if you want a time when Zod touched him, why is it that when Zod is going all Hulk when he climbs the building, superman thinks it's gonna look awesome for the cameras so lets meet him halfway and open a hole the size of a small meteor in the building....

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I wouldn't say you are being a superman fanboy at all. You just fantasize about Superman powers in a juvenile way, in the sense that you see his powers as the coolest way to get into a fight that obliterates surroundings like in a Dragon Ball Z fight.

And I understand the appeal, but when you get down to these characters their actions need to be taken in context or else they are just a kids fantasy. The point being that you can have fun and still develop the character as the action is going on.

Meh, you're reading too much out of merely wanting to see Supes finally cut loose on the big screen. We've all seen the "super heroic" sequences before. *shrug*

D.Lo

Man of Steel is what happens when you treat the entire movie as a trailer. It feels like one of those 'movie length season summary' episodes for TV series that they play in the lead up to a new season starting (which is why we have defenders here talking about it 'setting up future sequels'). It rushes through plot points showing highlight reel-like one liners and grand gestures for each major event.

A 'season summary' for a TV show makes sense, it's a refresher for those who actually watched the previous season and want to re-live the key points, which invoke memories of the whole scene they saw before. But to someone who'd never watched the show before, they'd be a terrible standalone episode. Think of how meaningless a few lines from 'that' S3 Game of Thrones episode would be without all the character-based build-up. Betrayal means nothing when it's just "I'm your friend"/cut/"No! you betrayed me!".

Done as an actual stand-alone movie, it appears to be enough for the non-discerning consumer, who is unable to understand what is 'wrong' and then creates meaning by projecting their desires and dreams of a Superman story into the gaps in MOS.

Spiderman 2 train sequence is a great example. You see Spiderman showcasing his moves, gets hurt (one of the reasons why Superman fights can't just be about throwing punches) saves people while web slinging and shit and Octopus is throwing the innocents around, they fight on the side of the train and shit, and then you get to see him show his character and use his powers to stop this train and overcome the odds as he does everything in his power to save those people. That's what a fucking super hero action sequence is about.
Yes yes yes.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Done as an actual stand-alone movie, it appears to be enough for the non-discerning consumer, who is unable to understand what is 'wrong' and then creates meaning by projecting their desires and dreams of a Superman story into the gaps in MOS.

And here I thought Can's "juvenile way" bit wouldn't be topped in know-it-all snobbery for at least a little while but here we are. Bravo, good sir. Bravo.

Man of Steel is what happens when you treat the entire movie as a trailer. It feels like one of those 'movie length season summary' episodes for TV series that they play in the lead up to a new season starting (which is why we have defenders here talking about it 'setting up future sequels'). It rushes through plot points showing highlight reel-like one liners and grand gestures for each major event.

A 'season summary' for a TV show makes sense, it's a refresher for those who actually watched the previous season and want to re-live the key points, which invoke memories of the whole scene they saw before. But to someone who'd never watched the show before, they'd be a terrible standalone episode. Think of how meaningless a few lines from 'that' S3 Game of Thrones episode would be without all the character-based build-up. Betrayal means nothing when it's just "I'm your friend"/cut/"No! you betrayed me!".

Done as an actual stand-alone movie, it appears to be enough for the non-discerning consumer, who is unable to understand what is 'wrong' and then creates meaning by projecting their desires and dreams of a Superman story into the gaps in MOS..

0431_w2p88.gif

And here I thought Can's "juvenile way" bit wouldn't be topped in know-it-all snobbery for at least a little while but here we are. Bravo, good sir. Bravo.

I actually Pmed him about the use of juvenile, as I don't intend to insult him. And you can call me a snob if you want, even though I don't feel like I'm being one. Shit would a snob watch Man of Steel? I have my doubts.

The action in Superman is akin to fart jokes and cheap laughs in comedies. It's juvenile because it plays to a juvenile sensibility. It doesn't mean the person is juvenile as a whole.

Zabka

I find it ridiculous that having two supermen directly fighting each other is "for kids" but every alternative offered is straight out of Saturday morning cartoons or the slapsticky Superman 2. Let's have the villain start some fires then cackle maniacally until Superman saves civilians so the fight can continue! Makes perfect sense.

I find it ridiculous that having two supermen directly fighting each other is "for kids" but every alternative offered is straight out of Saturday morning cartoons or the slapsticky Superman 2. Let's have the villain start some fires then cackle maniacally until Superman saves civilians so the fight can continue! Makes perfect sense.

Right... having two super dudes blasting away at each other to see who's more powerful is some grown ass shit. Straight out of a videogame. But trying to say something about the characters, develop them, show the struggle to do the right thing and overcome it, communicate a message and respect the theme of a "super hero" is for kids.

Don't know why they even bothered with the 1st hour of the movie, where they attempt to develop the characters. This ain't a sunday morning cartoon show.

And btw juvenile doesn't mean "it's for kids". The Incredibles was a movie "for kids", yet it was far from juvenile. How the hell did that happen?!

Zabka

For someone who's harping on this movie for being juvenile you sound like you haven't learned a single lesson from the cartoon movies you love.

The problem is Zod was controlling where the fight went. He didn't have time to do anything but fight. He tried to take it away from earth and Zod pushed him back down.

For someone who's harping on this movie for being juvenile you sound like you haven't learned a single lesson from the cartoon movies you love.

For someone who hasn't managed to present a single argument for his opinion, you sure point your finger a lot. Try saying something, try debating something and make sense while you are at it. If you are offended at me saying it's juvenile then argue why it isn't, bring forth a perspective. You know, instead of being passive aggressive which isn't a good look.

The problem is Zod was controlling where the fight went. He didn't have time to do anything but fight. He tried to take it away from earth and Zod pushed him back down.

I don't think this is true. Superman gets blasted through a couple of buildings, is upside down and then Zod takes him to space. And there's a precedent in the movie where Superman takes his fight with Faora within feet from innocent people. His choice.

It was also his choice to throw a kryptonian against a train, creating a big explosion from what I remember.

Top Bottom