• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

I have been thinking about this movie compared to the Raimi Spider-Man movies or the Donner Superman and this movie doesn't have a moral message at all. There is nothing for kids to learn from this movie. It's not a movie for kids at all

Thats the first thing i thought, its not catered to kids like original supes was.

Clumsy (or meek) Clark dates back to the original comics in the 30s and 40s, and continued on through the 1986 reboot. It was played up more or less at times-- in the 60s, for instance, Clark was a raging hypocondriac and coward, but in the 70s and 80s he was a portrayed as a lot more confident and competent.

When John Byrne rebooted Superman in 86, one of his big changes was to make Clark into an alpha-male, worthy of his position at the Planet and befitting his physical size.

Carlisle

Finally saw it. Totally get the criticisms, but none of them broke the movie for me. Insanely fun ride through and through. Tempted to see it again before it gets pulled from theaters, which I haven't done with a movie since Batman Begins.

My biggest problem was, though, was
Lois. Her character felt more like an afterthought that was hardly fleshed out, and the writers just relied on the audience's prior knowledge of her previous iterations to fill in the blanks.

The chemistry between her and Superman was forced at best, and doesn't quite have that magic without the dynamic between her and Clark to establish the groundwork of her character. In previous movies, Clark clearly likes her, she hardly notices him, but then swoons like a school girl with Superman... it's an important part of her character that won't happen at all because of how they've set up her character's relationship with Clark/Superman.

It would have gone much better if Lana was the leading lady, who isn't Superman's main girl in the lore anyway, have her come and go since there's hardly room to flesh out a love interest in Superman's origin story anyway, and then introduce Lois at the very end when Clark joins the DP. Then really get into their dynamic in a sequel.

For the other criticisms I've made (admittedly probably biased) exceptions that let me enjoy them better.
The dialogue was super great in some areas and super cheesy in others. I'm chalking that up to the writers possibly wanting to make the dialogue an homage to the cheesy style of comic book dialogue. "Heresy!", etc.

The pacing/editing. Yeah, that was a lot more disorienting than I expected even after reading the complaints on here. But I appreciated that instead of making us sit through an hour and a half of boring back story, they jump right into the action and fill in the blanks as they apply to the present-day events, kind of like how Lost did it. It was a great way to keep the attention and energy high from beginning to end.

I loved how they made a lot of the lore less cheesy and more "down to Earth," so to speak.
The idea that the Earth's atmosphere lends to his strength and breathing Kryptonian air causes him to struggle to breathe and makes him weak was a brilliant take on the Kryptonite idea. Also learning to fly was awesome. First only giant leaps, which is all Superman could do in the original comic, and then eventually learning to stay aloft was an awesome way to tip the hat to Superman's true origins while remaining faithful to what he's become. And then Zod and company also having to learn the powers. Really nice touches.

One scene I could have done without was the "I'm American as it gets" scene. After two worlds fighting for existence he has a conversation about being on America's side... just felt reeeeaaaally shallow and cheesy. I know it's in the lore and previous movies, but after saving the planet, he's talking about America... it felt really out of place and out of character.

I think for a modern big budget action-heavy Superman movie, this is as good as it gets. Yeah it's a little rough around some edges but today's comic book movie audiences demand action over substance. The 1976 movie would not do well today. I don't even think Batman Begins would cut it anymore in the age of Marvel and Avengers. This was exactly what it needed to be, and to echo the general consensus, it sets up the Superman/Clark Kent we know from the lore as the starting point for a well-written character-driven sequel.

Though I would love a director's cut/extended edition that fixes some of the pacing/editing decisions.

I have been thinking about this movie compared to the Raimi Spider-Man movies or the Donner Superman and this movie doesn't have a moral message at all. There is nothing for kids to learn from this movie. It's not a movie for kids at all

I think it is, it's exactly that. Though this generation seems to be an ADD-riddled generation with no moral compass, at least that is what studios and marketing think, and that's who this movie is catered for.
Fast video-gamey cuts and an angsty Clark Kent battling his own demons and Zod throughout the movie.

If all the characters had elaborate spikey hair, you'd believe you were watching a Final Fantasy game.

.GqueB.

Banned
The chemistry between her and Superman was forced at best, and doesn't quite have that magic without the dynamic between her and Clark to establish the groundwork of her character. In previous movies, Clark clearly likes her, she hardly notices him, but then swoons like a school girl with Superman... it's an important part of her character that won't happen at all because of how they've set up her character's relationship with Clark/Superman.

I agree that was a great aspect of their relationship but why revisit that? Seems like a giant miss to just do that whole thing again. I'd rather see what they're going to do with this situation because it could also be very interesting if done right.

Clark has been "battling his own demons" since around 1958, with the beginning of the Weisenger era and the dawn of the Silver Age of comics. "Emo" Supes has been around for over 50 years.

JB1981

DerZuhälter;69118101 said:
I think it is, it's exactly that. Though this generation seems to be an ADD-riddled generation with no moral compass, at least that is what studios and marketing think, and that's who this movie is catered for.
Fast video-gamey cuts and an angsty Clark Kent battling his own demons and Zod throughout the movie.

If all the characters had elaborate spikey hair, you'd believe you were watching a Final Fantasy game.

No it is not. It is violent and pretty cynical. It's anything but a kids movie. I would never take my child to see this. There is no awe. There is no moral ideal or heroism. There is no takeway message. There is no "with great power comes great responsibility."

Toa TAK

Banned
No it is not. It is violent and pretty cynical. It's anything but a kids movie. I would never take my child to see this. There is no awe. There is no moral ideal or heroism. There is no takeway message. There is no "with great power comes great responsibility."

Damn, I would've hated to have you as a parent.

I can't even give that line credit because of the dramatic "get it?" pause they threw in there. It's supposed to be awkward, I know, but it came off as corny.

I missed it both times...

There is no awe? Man, are you jaded. Moral ideal? How about helping people even when you are afraid of the consequences? No heroism? How about when Superman flies into the world engine, knowing it will lessen his powers and quite possibly kill him? How about Col. Brady and crew drivebombing the alien ship? How about Superman surrendering himself to Zod not knowing if he would survive?

I'll grant you that there is no slogan. While I personally love the line from Spider-Man, most non-comics people I know find it very corny.

LosDaddie

Banned
I think for a modern big budget action-heavy Superman movie, this is as good as it gets. Yeah it's a little rough around some edges but today's comic book movie audiences demand action over substance. The 1976 movie would not do well today. I don't even think Batman Begins would cut it anymore in the age of Marvel and Avengers. This was exactly what it needed to be, and to echo the general consensus, it sets up the Superman/Clark Kent we know from the lore as the starting point for a well-written character-driven sequel.

Though I would love a director's cut/extended edition that fixes some of the pacing/editing decisions.

BB would still do fine today. Other than Avengers, all the other MCU movies have about as much action as BB did/does.

Otherwise, I agree with your review. The Lois/Supes relationship felt really forced

Yea and I think it was a mistake. The Dark Knight movies are not for kids either but at least they weren't so morally confused.

That's one of the downfalls of taking the direction they have with batman and now superman. You basically lose out on the younger market which can hurt you at the box office.

I remember around the launch of TDKR on the radio they even had a specific segment asking if you would take your kids to see it. Most said they wouldn't but they all would for the avengers.

BB would still do fine today. Other than Avengers, all the other MCU movies have about as much action as BB did/does.

Otherwise, I agree with your review. The Lois/Supes relationship felt really forced

Begins would probably do as well as it did when it was released - that is to say, not particularly well. It made $370 mn world wide off of a $150 mn budget, which by today's standards would be considered very weak.

JB1981

I missed it both times...

There is no awe? Man, are you jaded. Moral ideal? How about helping people even when you are afraid of the consequences? No heroism? How about when Superman flies into the world engine, knowing it will lessen his powers and quite possibly kill him? How about Col. Brady and crew drivebombing the alien ship? How about Superman surrendering himself to Zod not knowing if he would survive?

I'll grant you that there is no slogan. While I personally love the line from Spider-Man, most non-comics people I know find it very corny.

It's not just an empty slogan, though. What is Man of Steel even about? What does this hero even stand for?

JB1981

it isn't about him standing for something, it's about him becoming the hero we know. he's still finding what he stands for.

Is that kind of like how Zack Snyder thought it was a good idea that Superman had to kill someone to learn that he doesn't want to kill anyone? I'm pretty sure I don't need to kill someone to know that I don't ever want to kill anyone. That was IDIOTIC. Should have listened to Nolan and sent Zod back to the Phantom Zone. In fact, I wish Nolan directed this movie.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Okay France gets this limited edition blu ray set, wtf we better get this or something even better...

Though I wouldn't call 35,000 limited lol

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/?a=82863

Man-Of-Steel-Limited-Edition-Blu-Ray-1.jpg

Man-Of-Steel-Limited-Edition-Blu-Ray-2.jpg

Man-Of-Steel-Limited-Edition-Blu-Ray-3.jpg

Is that kind of like how Zack Snyder thought it was a good idea that Superman had to kill someone to learn that he doesn't want to kill anyone? I'm pretty sure I don't need to kill someone to know that I don't ever want to kill anyone. That was IDIOTIC. Should have listened to Nolan and sent Zod back to the Phantom Zone. In fact, I wish Nolan directed this movie.

no genius, that's him being put in tough situations and learning to live with the consequences.

Zabka

Is that kind of like how Zack Snyder thought it was a good idea that Superman had to kill someone to learn that he doesn't want to kill anyone? I'm pretty sure I don't need to kill someone to know that I don't ever want to kill anyone. That was IDIOTIC. Should have listened to Nolan. In fact, I wish Nolan directed this movie.

I don't want to kill anyone either, but I've never been put in a situation where I had to make that choice.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
We better get something like that or else.

I think we're getting this set. Nothing on the box shows any french writing and the images have since been pulled from amazon France. They do have a release date for Oct 23, but I also don't think that's right. It's gonna be later than that.

MisterHero

Screw that I'm waiting for the Man of Steel 1,2 + World's Finest + Batman Reboot + Wonder Woman + Aquaman Krillogy + Justice League collection.

It has a Hall of Justice diorama.

Matrix

ugh...Ultraviolet. I was hoping I would be able to load the digital copy on my iPad & iPhone

I don't even think WB does that anymore... sadly :( I mean Man of Steel marketing was also tied into Walmart and they're like the biggest supporters of Ultracrap.

no genius, that's him being put in tough situations and learning to live with the consequences.

There are people in this thread who's sole purpose is to try and destroy this film. I will never understand why.

When there is a movie that I did not like, I visit the thread give my opinion, and then leave. I do not hang around for months rehashing my hate for the film.

We better get a blu ray package like that man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zabka

I think we're getting this set. Nothing on the box shows any french writing and the images have since been pulled from amazon France. They do have a release date for Oct 23, but I also don't think that's right. It's gonna be later than that.
Sounds about right, a month after IM3.

Matrix

The flight scenes look better in the Donner films than Synder. Come at me

Why would anyone come at you? Everyone by now has noticed your obsession with Donner's world /Singer. It's not shocking you would type that up. It's pointless to come at you.

JB1981

ugh...Ultraviolet. I was hoping I would be able to load the digital copy on my iPad & iPhone

Ultraviolent is the bomb. Have no clue why people don't like it. Download Vudu. Redeem UV code at vudu.com. Movie instantly added to Ultraviolet collection. Enjoy 1080p HDX streaming all day. The quality is incredible for digital streaming .

Matrix

Sounds about right, a month after IM3.

Well it could be right, but I'm thinking Nov, possibly late Nov. People who have pre-ordered already at Walmart stores says Vudu is showing they don't get their Vudu copies till Dec 1st :\ Though that could be a place holder as well.

JB1981

I never called it empty.

Defending the helpless regardless of personal cost.

Sorry there isn't a snappy slogan for that.

It's not about snappy slogans. It's about taking away meaning from a movie. Taking away a theme. Something the movie is about. Traits that actually define a character. Superman is supposed to embody a moral ideal. In this movie he doesn't embody much other than doing things other people tell him to do.

Matrix

How much do you think it costs?

Im willing to pay $40-50 Dlls.

Most likely that, I could see it being even cheaper on amazon. It also depends on what the case is made out of.

It's not about snappy slogans. It's about taking away meaning from a movie. Taking away a theme. Something the movie is about. Traits that actually define a character. Superman is supposed to embody a moral ideal. In this movie he doesn't embody much other than doing things other people tell him to do.

Defending others regardless of the personal cost.

There's the ideal you claim doesn't exist.

He does it as a kid, against his father's wishes. He does it as an adult. And once he finds inspiration and necessity, he decides he can do it publicly.

JB1981

Defending others regardless of the personal cost.

There's the ideal you claim doesn't exist.

He does it as a kid, against his father's wishes. He does it as an adult. And once he finds inspiration and necessity, he decides he can do it publicly.

Well it's mostly perceived personal cost and a bit of bullying. Nothing terrible consequential. I am not sure Kal finds much inspiration for "coming out" .... mostly he is forced into it by an outside threat.

LosDaddie

Banned
Ultraviolent is the bomb. Have no clue why people don't like it. Download Vudu. Redeem UV code at vudu.com. Movie instantly added to Ultraviolet collection. Enjoy 1080p HDX streaming all day. The quality is incredible for digital streaming .

Tell me more about Vudu. I also have the Dark Knight trilogy that also came with UV codes for all 3 Batman movies.

It is streaming only? Because I don't want to stream. I want the movie(s) actually stored on my device (iPad/iPhone) so I can watch it anytime.

The flight scenes look better in the Donner films than Synder. Come at me

dementia and madness have come at you Jason....

do you think heroes are born?

It obviously made a lot of money but not when compared with something like the avengers. That's not to say that every movie should target the same audience.

Avengers was basically a sequel of the various Marvel movies, against the first of hopefully a trilogy. don't compare it.

JB1981

Tell me more about Vudu. I also have the Dark Knight trilogy that also came with UV codes for all 3 Batman movies.

It is streaming only? Because I don't want to stream. I want the movie(s) actually stored on my device (iPad/iPhone) so I can watch it anytime.

No you can download the movies as well.

Matrix

Well you can download Vudu vids now, so it's not just streaming and MOS will be downloadable. I don't think that works on iPad/iPhones. I only watch Vudu on my PS3.

http://www.vudu.com/docs/Download-and-Store-Feature-2010210.pdf

You're gonna have to buy an itunes copy imo since you don't want to stream and you want it in HD. I'll be doing that as well lol :( Take more of my money WB.

Matrix

Any idea when this is coming to BR? 3 times at the theater is enough for me, I need a home viewing.

Amazon France lists Oct 23d, Vudu shows Dec 1st, I say sometime in Nov lol

Top Bottom