• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

strafer

RIP KalBalboa

tumblr_mo542nei231s7rs7q45.jpg

Well, I can say this: It's true that Zimmer hasn't created a theme that says "SUPERMAN" the way John Williams did.

but he sure as hell created a theme that IS Clark Kent, though.

#17 is the theme, is that the one you're talking about?

Clark's motif is weaved through the soundtrack in a couple places, but yes, Track 17 is basically the trailer music, or rather, all the ingredients the trailer cutters used to chop together the score for that trailer.

But there's something really evocative about the way Clark's theme builds in it's different variations throughout the score. Williams nailed Superman in the 70s, and created music that married to that interpretation so perfectly it's become almost as recognizable as the shield on his chest.

But what Zimmer's done with is almost as good, in a completely different way. The music doesn't evoke feelings of Superman as much as it does try to provide an emotional bedrock for the character of Clark Kent.

Sent

There's Clark's motif as you said, then I feel there's a Zod/Krypton one as well. It's like the are battling throughout the score.

Wilbur

Banned
I haven't spent a dollar

i dont live in america

I haven't spent a pound either

i get free cinema tickets

FUCK YOU ECONOMY

Sanjuro

FUCK MY DAD he's the reason why they're free

I aint gon complain. If I really like it, I'll go see it again and pay to contribute. I did that with Django, went free the first time and paid the next two times.

Nah, it's no charity. Many times I'll just take the free advance screening and leave it at that. There is a theater near me where I became close to the manager. Basically could just walk in and out whenever I pleased. Wasn't too shabby when I used to be at the theater at least 2-3 times a month.

I haven't spent a dollar

i dont live in america

I haven't spent a pound either

i get free cinema tickets

FUCK YOU ECONOMY

FUCK YOU WILBURY

I used to get free passes to showings. Every now and then, I'll splurge on the IMAX.

FUCK MY DAD he's the reason why they're free

I aint gon complain. If I really like it, I'll go see it again and pay to contribute. I did that with Django, went free the first time and paid the next two times.

Nah, it's no charity. Many times I'll just take the free advance screening and leave it at that. There is a theater near me where I became close to the manager. Basically could just walk in and out whenever I pleased. Wasn't too shabby when I used to be at the theater at least 2-3 times a month.

Just... just stop.

Listening to 'Arcade' right now. This shit is some epic. Fucking. Shit.

artist

Banned
Was any of the sequences shot in IMAX? Reading IMDB, it says some of it was shot using IMAX cameras but on IMAX's website I dont see anything of that sort .. going to assume none of it was shot in IMAX.

I actually thinking for going to the D-Box screening. Moving around while Supes flying, hmm ..

Simo

You will all join me in the sun soon.

...Listening to "Look to the Stars" and remembering the WB title sequence and opening scene. goddamn.

I think cage could've pulled it off

We live in a worse off world because we cant take the DVD of Superman Lives out and watch the absurdness.

This reminds me of something brought up during the Batman and Robin episode of How Did This Get Made?

If Batman and Robin (and the subsequent sequel) is successful, and Burton's Superman Lives gets made and is also successful, there's a possibility of a Clooney/Cage World's Finest
movie.

I honestly don't know whether to be happy or upset about that possibility.

MisterHero

This reminds me of something brought up during the Batman and Robin episode of How Did This Get Made?

If Batman and Robin (and the subsequent sequel) is successful, and Burton's Superman Lives gets made and is also successful, there's a possibility of a Clooney/Cage World's Finest
movie.

I honestly don't know whether to be happy or upset about that possibility.
Michael Keaton was supposed to be in Superman Lives

There was no Jorge Clooney

and his Batman sequel (Batman Triumphant) would've brought back Nicholson as a Scarecrow hallucination.

Dead

well not really...yet
Basically if you lamented the loss of James Newton Howard from Batman Begins, then this is Zimmer making up for it on his own in a big way.

Its hitting on all cylinders.

I haven't found it yet :(, might not be anywhere on the OST.

It will probably be the same case with the music from The Dark Knight Rises nokia trailer. I think that was a remix of Gotham's Reckoning which is what got my hyped for the soundtrack in the first place. Then it wasn't on the soundtrack or even in the film.

Veronica

Banned
Just reserved 5 tickets for Saturday in 3D.

And this score is godly.

Opening night 12AM IMAX 3D here, as well. Hubby and I.
I'm 6'2"...blonde hair and blue eyes, so I have no choice but to go in with full Supergirl getup :D

The score is typical Zimmer godlikeness, but this has to be one of my favorite movie soundtracks of all time, and no, it is not the current hype. It is simply that good.

The military-eque drums in "If You Love these People" and the foreboding nature of "Ignition"....omg. Too much.

10/10

So, people that have watched it really are being down on this movie? :/

no.....

Superman's powers actually makes no goddamn sense. He draws his energy from the sun? The average human body has about 1500 square inches of skin. The sun provides about 1400 watts of energy per square meter. A meter is 39.2 inches, so a meter squared is 1536 square inches, roughly equivalent to the human body. So every hour, Superman can get about 1400 watts, and that's if he walks around naked.

Even if Kryptonian cells are the most efficient energy storage devices ever, there's no way he'd be able to sustain his high-level feats for more than a few seconds.

I got my values from wiki answers, so they might be off by a bit, but the point is the same.

quiet you.

Man those are some sloppy punches.

how.... how are they sloppy?

What is up with the action in this scene..?

I really hope the action in the movie isn't as messy as this. It just looks like it's obscuring the fact that there's no gravitas in the actors.

10/10

I'm 6'2"...blonde hair and blue eyes, so I have no choice but to go in with full Supergirl getup :D

The score is typical Zimmer godlikeness, but this has to be one of my favorite movie soundtracks of all time, and no, it is not the current hype. It is simply that good.

The military-eque drums in "If You Love these People" and the foreboding nature of "Ignition"....omg. Too much.

10/10
ok... we want to see reaction pics when you go dressed up as Supergirl.

Toa TAK

Banned

10/10

I just want to troll audiences in a Batman getup.

But OH MY GAWD: "What Are You Going To Do When You Are Not Saving The World?"

I'm a big fan of Zimmer drums, and this soundtrack has so much of it and done so well. I was taken back by "If You Love These People", "Goodbye My Son" and "Flight".

Zimmer delivered. This destroys his TDKR score.

Top Bottom