• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

What I love about this music is that it has that same orchestra/electro hybrid that Hans usually goes with, but this time it's mostly in a major key. It's such a good contrast to the really dark music of the TDK trilogy.

Also, I'm a superman noob here - I know it's what he says in the trailer, but is there some other significance to "join you/us in the sun?" Is it something that was in the comics?

Jimothy

I've been on total black out since the 3 minute trailer. Haven't watched any TV spots or listened to the score. This next week is going to be rough.

Veelk

Banned
Must people rag on TDKR about everything? "Imagine the fire" was the best track in the entire trilogy, you fools.

Man of Steel OST is fantastic too though. I'm trying to not listen to all of it before I see the movie, but everytime I hear one, I want to hear another.

Toa TAK

Banned
Must people rag on TDKR about everything? "Imagine the fire" was the best track in the entire trilogy, you fools.

Man of Steel OST is fantastic too though. I'm trying to not listen to all of it before I see the movie, but everytime I hear one, I want to hear another.

Yo, I love TDKR score, it's one of the few albums I listen through and through on a daily basis, but Zimmer's Man Of Steel score blew me away.

For what it's worth - for me, I find that being familiar with the score BEFORE going into the movie only enhances the film on first viewing. Because I'm already familiar with the music AS music, because I've got a sense of the emotionality of it already, when I hear it in context, it provides extra punch to the scenes once I see them in context.

Shaanyboi

Banned
What I love about this music is that it has that same orchestra/electro hybrid that Hans usually goes with, but this time it's mostly in a major key. It's such a good contrast to the really dark music of the TDK trilogy.

Also, I'm a superman noob here - I know it's what he says in the trailer, but is there some other significance to "join you/us in the sun?" Is it something that was in the comics?

I think it's just a metaphor, nothing more. Superman's powers largely come from Earth's yellow sun, so I mean there's that, but I doubt that's what Jor-El is referring to. I'm pretty he just means "Some day, they'll manage to get better and emerge from their own darkness"

ReiGun

It's a line from "All-Star Superman." What he means is that people will follow Superman's example and one day rise to be his equal (not in strength, but in ideals and character).

From all of the reviews/reaction I've read, my fears about the movie seem to be true. Basically, Zack Snyder (can't direct anything other than action, and is awful with pacing and story) and David Goyer (can't write worth shit) still suck and shouldn't have anything to do with the sequel.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew

Its from the comics. Its about Superman being a symbol of hope. Something mankind can aspire to.
All-Star-Superman.jpg

Solo

For what it's worth - for me, I find that being familiar with the score BEFORE going into the movie only enhances the film on first viewing. Because I'm already familiar with the music AS music, because I've got a sense of the emotionality of it already, when I hear it in context, it provides extra punch to the scenes once I see them in context.

Couldn't possibly disagree more. I'd rather see a scene the first time and have some unexpected musical cue play that evokes whatever reaction out of me, be it sadness/joy/despair/etc. and get those initial, never-replicated feels, than go into a movie waiting for specific cues to appear. Basically, I'd rather let a scene craft my opinion of a cue than the opposite.

If I'd listened to Batman Begin's score before seeing the movie, for instance, I'd have been waiting for "Molossus" to show up instead of getting that "fuck yeah!" moment when the Tumbler chase and that track blast in unexpectedly.

From all of the reviews/reaction I've read, my fears about the movie seem to be true. Basically, Zack Snyder (can't direct anything other than action, and is awful with pacing and story) and David Goyer (can't write worth shit) still suck and shouldn't have anything to do with the sequel.

this seems like an overreaction. Snyder especially has gotten mostly great reviews as far as I can tell.

Couldn't possibly disagree more. I'd rather see a scene the first time and have some unexpected musical cue play that evokes whatever reaction out of me, be it sadness/joy/despair/etc. and get those initial, never-replicated feels, than go into a movie waiting for specific cues to appear. Basically, I'd rather let a scene craft my opinion of a cue than the opposite.

If I'd listened to Batman Begin's score before seeing the movie, for instance, I'd have been waiting for "Molossus" to show up instead of getting that "fuck yeah!" moment when the Tumbler chase and that track blast in unexpectedly.

Completely agree with you. And despite having successfully evaded all of the tv spots post-trailer 3, I succumbed to the Zimmer. The soundtrack really is good. Far better than TDKR.

Solo

Can't wait for the first bad review and the fanboy rage that ensues. Hopefully it won't be as embarrassing as it was for the Nolan Batman films.

<40% and I'm there day one. It would have to be a fuck up of epic proportions to reach such a low RT score.

I'll usually see any movie I'm hyped for, regardless, in theaters on opening weekend. But it's growing tiring going to the movies so much on opening weekend with gigantic crowds with how many movies I've been hyping, so my RT score rule is now in effect.

Dany

Banned
80%+ I will see in theaters opening weekend

70-80% I will see in theaters a week or two in

60-70% I will see in theaters eventually

40-60% it depends

<40% wait for cable/DVD

These are my rules
Why are you so easily swayed?

Can't wait for the first bad review and the fanboy rage that ensues. Hopefully it won't be as embarrassing as it was for the Nolan Batman films.

Didn't you get banned 2 times in that OT?

Why are you so easily swayed?

I'm not easily swayed. I'm not letting the reviews dictate whether or not I WANT to see the movies or whether or not I will like/dislike the movies.

It's that the closest movie theater to me is 1 hour away, and I'm sick of going to the movies so often. And I fucking hate crowded movie theaters.

Raptor

So they already seeling the tickets for midnight show, didn't buy them cause it was full as all hell at the theater yesterday, hopefully I can grab them today or tomorrow.

:p

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
People are being controlled by reviews too much, and score.

It's actually pretty depressing to see, we can all truly thank rotten tomatoes for that. I miss the days when I was younger and would just go into a movie and decide for myself if I liked it or hated it. I still form my own opinions, but it's become hard to ignore people online. It's the same way with video games.

I remember Superman Returns was in the high 80's score wise on RT when I saw it and came out like WTF.

I'm not gonna even bother with reviews with MOS. I trust a few people who I know love this character as much as me and I value their opinions, that's about it.

Toa TAK

Banned
The shit you took this morning destroys his TDKR score.

Damn! While I can agree, it's got to be better than his POTC4 score... right?!

Don't care for any reviews, I'm excited as it is to see the movie. It won't be perfect or anything but I suspect it will be a good start for Superman.

javac

The shit you took this morning destroys his TDKR score.

Solo knows what's up. Batman Begins soundtrack is phenomenal. Dat Eptesicus. Dat Barbastella. Dat Antrozous. Dat Corynorhinus. And dat Lasiurus. Stunning soundtrack for a stunning movie.

Top Bottom