• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

GamerXXX

Banned
RT has it at 90 but metacritic at 60, out of 100... what's up with metacritic, they also reviewed start trek and IM3 way lower than RT... still really early though

inm8num2

RT has it at 90 but metacritic at 60, out of 100... what's up with metacritic, they also reviewed start trek and IM3 way lower than RT... still really early though

RT score is % of critics that liked the movie.

Metacritic is an average score assigned by reviews.

Either way neither is a sacrosanct indicator of how "good" a movie is. Just a general idea of how others reacted to it.

Saw it today thanks to Klout, in IMAX 3D. No spoilers, but it is definitely an epic movie. IMAX sound is incredible. 3D is meh.

Well worth watching.

an excessively dreary affair that lacks any sense of Superman's personality. Instead, he's just another fancy effect from Snyder's bag of tricks. It's easy to get swept up in the rollercoaster of buildup, but the climax is just a yawn.

But, oh, that bag of tricks. "I can't print this," [Lois]' trenchant editor (Laurence Fishburne) says after receiving her first draft of her unpublished Superman scoop. "You could have hallucinated half of it." When "Man of Steel" comes to a close, viewers can relate. And once they come back down to Earth, perhaps warmer memories of the Supermen no longer considered viable will come rushing back. In "Man of Steel," Superman never suffers from exposure to fragments of Kryptonite. His single weakness, drained from the picture in its earlier bits to make room for the extravagant conclusion, is depth.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/ho...every-other-superman-movie-look-like-an-indie

RT is just the % of critics that liked/disliked the film. For a closer comparison check the average rating in RT (below the tomatometer). It's at 7.6 for MoS right now.

RT is just is the % of critics that liked/disliked the film. For a closer comparison check the average rating in RT (below the tomatometer). It's at 7.6 for MoS right now.
sounds about right
mostly positive but yeah, i had you in mind as i read a review on shannon, claiming that movie was great and he stood out :)

RT has 92 score so far, pretty early so i'm sure it will come down but this is pretty good so far
lol. Dont know what to say.

Even the more negative reviews have good to say about the movie.

I am so ready.

I gave it a 6 but I do want to see it again.

Even the glowing reviews have reservations about the story and/or pacing. I imagine a lot of the glowing reviews are based on that high from just seeing the spectacle, allowing them to gloss over things like that.

Prolly gonna get those same kind of gushing impressions opening night then 6 months from now 80 percent of those people will be creating new threads calling this movie an overrated pos.

So basically The Avengers all over again.

overcast

Every popular movie that gets good reviews will have a thread in 4 months about how the movie is shit/overrated etc.

We are all dead.

ReiGun

Months? Pfft, I give it a couple weeks. There's always going to be someone who'd make their own thread than just participate in the OT.

Dead

well not really...yet
Months? Pfft, I give it a couple weeks. There's always going to be someone who'd make their own thread than just participate in the OT.
"LTTP"

Movie is still in theaters/Game OT is still constantly on front page and not in community

disgusting

Seems like the major gripe is the last act which just goes on too long for its own good? I guess if it's just cg action set peace after cg action set piece as it's being suggested, it might wear me down.

Will Goyer ever write a decent third act for a superhero film?

it's INDIE wire, buncha hipsters, who cares....

Did I not say it would be polarizing?!?!

don't sound very polarizng, mostly positive. a couple of those reviews sound like old fogeys still hanging on Christopher Reeve.

Shame to hear the movie is kinda humorless. That was my biggest fear. :/

I can't remember the last time I saw humor in a Superman comic or story. why do the movies need it?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I do agree with the humor thing. Not sure why the heck some of the reviewers/ or people need or want humor in a realistic/sci-fi type Superman movie. I too can't recall the last time I saw straight up humor in anything Superman related in years. I don't count camp Lois and Clark or Smallville. We have had plenty of it in the past and it's been awful.

Otis, campy villains that might as well be considered bad humor, humor that fell flat in Returns.

Maybe they wanted Reeve Clark humor and him bumbling about.

Cmon dude, relax. God forbid reviewers have issues with the film

they can have all the issues they please, just stop bringing up old movies/ideas and expecting every superhero film to be campy. they don't have to be. they shouldn't be. they don't need that hook to bring in general audiences, it's the laziest form or critiquing or reviewing. it's non-sense.

Valravn

Im getting a bit teary eyed listening to Flight. I envision Superman flying through Metropolis after he earned trust from humans and is seen as a hero; lots of cheers and epicness ensue.

ReiGun

I think you guys are misunderstanding what I mean by humor. Basically, I don't want two hours of the movie trying so utterly hard to take itself seriously that whatever humor there is is negligible or outright awkward. I'm not saying I want straight up slapstick; just for the movie to not be afraid to lighten up every now and then.

There can be a balance. You make something serious with gravitas and still have room for humor.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I think you guys are misunderstanding what I mean by humor. Basically, I don't want two hours of the movie trying so utterly hard to take itself seriously that whatever humor there is is negligible or outright awkward. I'm not saying I want straight up slapstick; just for the movie to not be afraid to lighten up every now and then.

There can be a balance. You make something serious with gravitas and still have room for humor.

This. I'd expect some humor, especially with Clark Kent's interactions with Lois and the other Daily Planet people. Should be able to find some light-hearted, comical moments there. We'll see when the film releases. It doesn't need to be a comedy, but even the most serious films have some less intense, often comical moments or characters to balance out the seriousness (i.e. C3P0 in Star Wars or Kirk's womanizing and boyish attitude in Star Trek).

Just caught the wegotthiscovvered.com review on RT. This has to be the most hyperbolic paragraph I've ever read related to a superhero film.

When audiences flock to theatres this Friday, they will be treated to an experience absolutely unlike anything they have ever seen before. This is not hyperbole. On every level, in every way, by every critical criterion I have to judge the effectiveness of film, and every benchmark of spectacle and wonder I have experienced in my time reviewing movies, Man of Steel is completely, utterly singular. I have never seen anything like it. At once vaster in scope than any superhero movie yet produced, and as intimately, crushingly emotional as any other entry in the genre, Man of Steel speaks in a fresh cinematic language viewers will be largely unaccustomed to. The scale of its action is completely unprecedented, an enormously, viscerally powerful shock to the system, yet in its narrative design and treatment of character, it employs the elliptical, understated rhythms of arthouse cinema. Suffice it to say such a blend has never been attempted on a production with this high a budget.

Was Goyer's writing just called 'arthouse cinema'?

TEJ

Brah talking like he saw heaven itself when he watched this movie. lmao

after 3 4 and returns MoS must be like heaven for superman fans I suppose.

I mean I think this movie might bring back the respect supes hasn't had since the 80's.

BB and TDK had the perfect balance of humour for me.The interactions between Bruce, Alfred and Fox were usually dry and jovial, and helped offset the "seriousness" of the tone. If Superman is lacking in that department I will be disappointed.

I can't say that humour is one of the main things I'm looking for from this movie, but the bumbling Clark Kent act would be an easy way to get some laughs. I guess they're not going with that version of Clark. I'm fine with this being a more serious sci-fi epic, though.

Not sure what to make of the reviews. Very polarizing. Maybe some people were expecting light, tongue-in-cheek Marvel fair. I don't want that.

@davidehrlich:
to lift from the late, great Roger Ebert: i hated hated hated hated hated MAN OF STEEL. the worst superhero film since THE GREEN LANTERN.

@zaffi:
Man of Steel delivers the summer movie goods, perfect fit for Snyder's comic book sensibilities. You can feel Nolan's touch throughout.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
God I'm out of this thread. This is the part I hate.

Can't wait to judge the movie for myself.

that @davidehrlich... no words lol

ReiGun

So damn polarizing. lol Wonder which way audiences will go.

I also wonder I'm actually going this weekend. Stupid AMC not letting me know when about these digital or imax showtimes. :/

Top Bottom