• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Why does everyone have to be so right all the time?

Christopher Reeve IS Superman. Superman is THE archetype, not a trope that needs to be fixed. People want Archetype Superman.

HOWEVER, we have Man of Steel which is designed for people who don't think Superman is cool. But the good news is not only did Nolan and Snyder pay lip service to this audience, but the movie seems to follow through on showing an introspective-yet-powerful Superman.

They went in a controversial direction, but they took it as far as they could. It deserves some respect for that. It's certainly further than where Nolan took Batman, so even he's growing from the experience.
I like your views and wish to subscribe to your neesletter

TEJ

after 3 4 and returns i'll settle for something that's merely good.

i just want another good superman flick gosh darn it to heck!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Snyder should've included a scene with Supes rescuing a kitty from a tree, it would've appealed to a lot of these critics.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Snyder should've included a scene with Supes rescuing a kitty from a tree, it would've appealed to a lot of these critics.

Screw saving children on a bus or guys on an oil rig... kittens are far more important and represent Superman far better!

Critics lol

pel1300

Anyone fear like this is The Matrix Reloaded again?

upon it's release, reviews were a bit mixed but overall positive, saying how the visuals were spectacular.

now, years later, the visuals don't hold up and we're left with crap.

I'm afraid Man of Steel will be the same way. Great visuals and fun to watch in the theater, but years later we will be talking about how terrible it looks.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Exactly. There's so many reviews that need to be released. Again, MoS is at 32 with 72% now while IM3 finished at 264 with 78%. Long way to go.

Funny thing is one of the top critic reviews is a B- which should be a positive tomato(unless they changed the rating system), but it's being counted as a negative review right now... not that I give a crap.

This dude...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/critic/chris-vognar/

Gave a Good Day to Die Hard a B- lol and it's a positive review on the site

See, this is why Rottenwatching is great, and why everyone should do it. This full breadth of wasted emotion everyone's currently feeling. It's a real calorie-burner. Keeps the heart-rate up, keeps the blood flowing, moves necessary vitamins and nutrients around the body much more efficiently. It's kinda like exercise, except instead of exercising, you're just freaking about about dumb shit.

Why read a review when you can point at a number? Unless you don't like the number, and then you ONLY read the review as a means to discredit why the number is what it is?

The number makes for a handy dart to throw at people you know are happy, too! So long as it's a low number. If it's a high number, those happy people are probably going to just pull the number down, and swaddle themselves in it. Because numbers can be comforting!

But movies aren't numbers, so none of this really makes any sense.

If the guy at Variety docked the movie because Superman doesn't rescue a kitty - is that really a knock if you're the kind of person done with Superman rescuing kitties? If a dude online said that this Superman is too dark to be Superman, and you're the kind of person who is bored to death of primary colors Superman - is that a knock anymore, or did you just find out this might be a Superman movie you like?

People way too eager to have an excuse not to think about things. "Don't make me read and formulate opinions. Just give me a number, if you could. I have clothing to rend and teeth to gnash."

See, this is why Rottenwatching is great, and why everyone should do it. This full breadth of wasted emotion everyone's currently feeling. It's a real calorie-burner. Keeps the heart-rate up, keeps the blood flowing, moves necessary vitamins and nutrients around the body much more efficiently. It's kinda like exercise, except instead of exercising, you're just freaking about about dumb shit.

Why read a review when you can point at a number? Unless you don't like the number, and then you ONLY read the review as a means to discredit why the number is what it is?

The number makes for a handy dart to throw at people you know are happy, too! So long as it's a low number. If it's a high number, those happy people are probably going to just pull the number down, and swaddle themselves in it. Because numbers can be comforting!

If the guy at Variety docked the movie because Superman doesn't rescue a kitty - is that really a knock if you're the kind of person done with Superman rescuing kitties? If a dude online said that this Superman is too dark to be Superman, and you're the kind of person who is bored to death of primary colors Superman - is that a knock anymore, or did you just find out this might be a Superman movie you like?

People way too eager to have an excuse not to think about things. "Don't make me read and formulate opinions. Just give me a number, if you could. I have clothing to rend and teeth to gnash."

Look bro. We just want Cavill to be happy about his major life decisions alright? Now how can he be happy when there's reviewer telling him that he should be saving cats and shit?

I imagine he'll just look down at his abs and go "Oh yeah. Those."

For what it's worth - a bunch of my film critic friends and fellow movie nerds saw the preview screening in PDX last night. General consensus seems to be "pretty good, not great." There are definite problems, it's probably too long, and some of the drama is unearned. But large parts of it work pretty well, and it's gorgeous to look at.

I'm getting the sense that it's a pretty good movie, but at the end of the day - it's still a Zack Snyder movie. With all the positives (so pretty, so kinetic) and negatives (This is kinda dumb and overlong) that entails.

I don't give a fuck about these critical reviews.

nothing_stops_this_train-9763.gif

Raptor

Got my tickets for midnight showing!!

So it doesn't have humour? Thank God we don't have another Iron "We Put jokes where things should be serious" Man 3.

:D

GamerXXX

Banned
Looks like RT will end around 65-75 and metascore 60-65. On RT, top critics haven't been nice to MOS..

You would think that a high budget movie with Nolan, Snyder and such a strong cast would AT LEAST get 80 (AT LEAST) but this is what we get. Superman returns had a 76 RT and MOS will be lucky to beat this!

i've read several reviews and it looks like even the negative reviews have good things to say about the cast in general but the recurring theme is that the story, script is undefined and there was overkill in action without focusing on developing characters, humor... Looks like the final product feels like a rushed movie with big scaled action used to fill the void. I'm still going to see it though...hope i like it!

Looks like RT will end around 65-75 and metascore 60-65. On RT, top critics haven't been nice to MOS..

You would think that a high budget movie with Nolan, Snyder and such a strong cast would AT LEAST get 80 (AT LEAST) but this is what we get. Superman returns had a 76 RT and MOS will be lucky to beat this!

i've read several reviews and it looks like even the negative reviews have good things to say about the cast in general but the recurring theme is that the story, script is undefined and there was overkill in action without focusing on developing characters, humor... Looks like the final product feels like a rushed movie with big scaled action used to fill the void. I'm still going to see it though...hope i like it!

It's not the end of the world. And again, in my opinion I'd rather watch this than the 2006 movie. I also agree with the action being too long, but to me that was a minor complaint.

Here in NYC it's almost like its not playing fucking anywhere on the upper east side. Fandango lists like two places in the city for standard viewing, 1 regular Imax showing on one day and actually nothing makes sense with the showtimes at all. Places I would expect to be showing it don't have it listed. It's like Imax 3D or nothing.

I'm not sure wtf the deal is, movie opens in 3 days :|

Matrix, i'm hopefully going to see it midnight at the Regal at union square. try there?

OG Superman was too perfect. No movie will be able to beat Reeves and/or DCAU.

A Snyder movie that looks good and has cool action scenes, but weak everything else? You don't say. Superman isn't really a dark or moody character. There is no need for a dark and gritty Superman movie. When people think of Superman, they think of a smiling, friendly guy who is the personification of good and who rescues cats out of trees and punches aliens in the face . Not a brooding frowny crab fisherman.

WB should have switched tones between MoS and Green Lantern.

bunch of non-sense. read Kingdom come, Red Son, DCAU Justice Lords, etc, etc. plenty of dark and grit with Superman, people will like if you write a good story around the concept. only imbecilic "critics" that are stuck in 1978 would think that a little introspection is a bad point.

i think difference is people went into avengers knowing what they were gonna get - action, humor and a movie that doesn't take itself serioulsy. With MOS, trailers kind of led people to believe this was a thoughful, deep movie, with action so expectations are different. Also, looks like MOS tried to be serious (unlike avengers) so there will be more polarizing reviews if it didn't appeal to some.

a review of a movie/game/book should be based on the merits of the story is trying to do, not what you think it should be.

So which part of the hype process is this? Bargaining?

most of us haven't seen it yet, I'd rather wait for the people if this is how reviews are going to be talking about kittens and bullshit.

Why does everyone have to be so right all the time?
Christopher Reeve IS Superman. Superman is THE archetype, not a trope that needs to be fixed. People want Archetype Superman.
HOWEVER, we have Man of Steel which is designed for people who don't think Superman is cool. But the good news is not only did Nolan and Snyder pay lip service to this audience, but the movie seems to follow through on showing an introspective-yet-powerful Superman.
They went in a controversial direction, but they took it as far as they could. It deserves some respect for that. It's certainly further than where Nolan took Batman, so even he's growing from the experience.

no he isn't, not anymore. not after 1985. that Superman was great but it's over and done with. finished.

I love you too.

inm8num2

The reviews seem fine to me. People who love the film praise the spectacle and storytelling. Others who weren't as fond feel there's a disconnect between those two things.

That doesn't concern me at all. Not every critic is going to respond the "right" way to superhero films, but fans of the character or genre will most likely be thoroughly entertained.

strobogo

Banned
This is stupid. Same was said about the Joker and Nolan casting Heath Ledger to replace what some people wrongly associated with Jack Nicholson. Its about time WB stopped trying to do Donner over and over again and re introduce Superman properly. Superman is bigger than Reeves and has had many variations and interpretations.

Superman, as a film entity, has been broken for decades and the 2006 Returns movie was the final nail in the coffin.

Keep also in mind Batman Begins also received largely ok to good reviews but to most fans of Batman/comic book characters it is considered one of the best if not the best comic book film.

Snyder only directed the movie. If the story and tone don't work its all on Nolan and Goyer.

Superman isn't dark but that doesn't mean you can't take the source material seriously and build a good movie from it. I doubt the whole movie is as dark as Batman. Superman is not Batman and we already heard from early screenings the movie isn't as grim as the trailers suggest. It won't be "Marvel" level goofy or funny and that's fine but it also won't be Batman dark.

I don't think this is true at all unless he's literally a puppet and Nolan is the one who actual directed it. A good director can salvage and elevate a poor or mediocre script. Something like Alien or Halloween, which are both pretty basic and generic horror movie scripts, were made great because of the directors and their vision. In fact, I'd say the director is more responsible for the outcome of a movie than the writer or producer.

Matrix

Matrix, i'm hopefully going to see it midnight at the Regal at union square. try there?

I can't see it till June 20th cause of my stupid health and I'm treating my dad and he can't see it till that week as well. Imax tickets non 3D at Kips Bay for a 3 pm showing just went up, so I ordered them. 6 extra days of torture.

Can't wait to see this.... arghhh fuck RT :)

I've read several and they harp on that stupid no humor bullshit, it's intellectually dishonest.

I can't see it till June 20th cause of my stupid health and I'm treating my dad and he can't see it till that week as well. Imax tickets non 3D at Kips Bay for a 3 pm showing just went up, so I ordered them. 6 extra days of torture.

Can't wait to see this.... arghhh fuck RT :)

ohh.... :(
if you can treat yourself to the Ziegfeld, that screen is so beautiful.

Matrix

You're putting wayyyy too much stock into RT and critic reviews. I'll say one more thing... fuck Superman Returns. That movie would no way in hell get rated a 76 today even though I find this whole scoring system a joke. Ive gotten more joy out of these trailers than out of that boring cosplay wannabe Donner film.

I'm sure everyones favorite banned Returns fan can see this... hi buddy! :p

"ohh.... :(
if you can treat yourself to the Ziegfeld, that screen is so beautiful"

I know. When I see it a 2nd time if I'm healthy enough I'll go there.

inm8num2

Batman Begins had a 63% top critics score, and I'd say that worked out well for us. :)

People need to stop worrying about RT scores. The numbers are a general indicator but for big blockbuster films like this they are less significant. Read a few reviews, positive and negative, and get a general sense of what people are saying.

I'd be excited to see this movie on Friday even if the RT dropped to 50% (which obviously won't happen).

Solo

Dat RT consensus:

Superman's return to the big screen is mostly successful, as Man of Steel provides enough exhilarating action and spectacle to overcome its occasional detours into generic blockbuster territory.

Also, fuck gaming and E3.

Top Bottom