• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

But Returns is mediocre from start to finish, there is nothing in that movie that could be great or above average, thats my point here, you said Returns was better or that you liked that movie more but for the things you are saying it doesn't make sense to me.

At least MoS has great action going by what you say, Returns has NO action, well if you consider doing things that were done 30 years ago and lifting an island action then I don't know what to say.

MoS has mostly bad, jumbled action. I picked out TWO MINUTES of what amounts to likely 1.5 hours of action. And a Superman movie doesn't need to have any action as long as its compelling. I don't think Singer's version is God's gift, but I certainly don't remember exiting the theater never wanting to see it again.

Sanjuro

Iron Man 3 was part of an established franchise with a massive built-in audience.

Man of Steel is a reboot with a lot to prove.

I get that. Audiences haven't been introduced to Superman in decades now. Just don't see how in a dreadful summer, people are going to directly base it against the Avengers before seeing it? Just being realistic.

Either way, it's not making Avengers money. It's probably going to end up a little less than Iron Man 3, possibly a bit more if the viewer feedback remains this positive.

fuenf

Rottentomatoes and boxoffice success:
Transformers 1 57% 709m, 2 36% 836m and 3 20% 1123m.

I wouldnt get too upset about the Tomatometer score ..

Ahasverus

but people were excited of watching a transformers movie, people were wary of superman in the first place

Raptor

MoS has mostly bad, jumbled action. I picked out TWO MINUTES of what amounts to likely 1.5 hours of action. And a Superman movie doesn't need to have any action as long as its compelling. I don't think Singer's version is God's gift, but I certainly don't remember exiting the theater never wanting to see it again.

Completly disagree with this.

I respect your opinion man but I think our tastes are very different and what you thought its bad I may think is great :p

Completly disagree with this.

I respect your opinion man but I think our tastes are very different and what you thought its bad I may think is great :p

Absolutely, some people are loving this to death. I could very well be in the minority, as I was with The Avengers.

kswiston

I get that. Audiences haven't been introduced to Superman in decades now. Just don't see how in a dreadful summer, people are going to directly base it against the Avengers before seeing it? Just being realistic.

Either way, it's not making Avengers money. It's probably going to end up a little less than Iron Man 3, possibly a bit more if the viewer feedback remains this positive.

If you are talking worldwide, you do realize that Iron Man 3 is the fifth highest grossing film of all time right? The movie made $800M overseas, which is about 90% of The Avengers overseas total. I think WB would be pretty ecstatic if Man of Steel made $800M total.

Sanjuro

If you are talking worldwide, you do realize that Iron Man 3 is the fifth highest grossing film of all time right? The movie made $800M overseas, which is about 90% of The Avengers overseas total. I think WB would be pretty ecstatic if Man of Steel made $800M total.

No, I'm not talking about worldwide.

SimleuqiR

but people were excited of watching a transformers movie, people were wary of superman in the first place

I loath the Transformers movies. I saw 1 and 2 at the movies and just hated the plot and human characters in both. But general public ate them up.

GAF over hypes and GAF worries. This has nothing to do with how excited or worried people are outside of this forum.

Oh, there are certainly plenty of exceptions, especially when it comes to action films.

But it's undeniable that people are more aware of (and more influenced by) the critical consensus of films, and that a stellar critical reception can give a film a huge boost.

I think it's safe to say that this is significantly lower than WB would have wanted, and it's probably making them a bit nervous.

But it's undeniable that people are more aware of (and more influenced by) the critical consensus of films, and that a stellar critical reception can give a film a huge boost.

I think it's safe to say that this is significantly lower than WB would have wanted, and it's probably making them a bit nervous.

I think it's very deniable, as evidenced by the scads of people who feel that agreeing with critics is a sign of elitism. Which is overwhelmed by the number of people who proudly tell people they don't ever pay attention to any reviews.

Critical consensus matters most when it comes to smaller films, but it's a smaller audience that's being affected by that consensus anyway.

The last 10-15 years of box office reciepts have shown studios a very clear formula for pulling in large audiences, and critical consensus is a very small slice of that, and with many movies, is pretty much excised from the equation entirely.

Marketing gets people into movies. Word of mouth keeps people going. Critical Consensus is a tool people use to justify their word of mouth - or puncture someone else's. That's basically it. It's not a much used tool, either. Not for the majority of the moviegoing populace.

But we're not that, because we're the kind of people who give enough of a shit about movies, however it is we do it, to get on a messageboard and engage in arguments with strangers about it.

dummydecoy

Can anyone explain how Kal
went from being a waiter to a cargo guy assisting Lois off a chopper
in the arctic? Did I miss something?

Sent

Can anyone explain how Kal
went from being a waiter to a cargo guy assisting Lois off a chopper
in the arctic? Did I miss something?

No explanation given. He overheard two dudes talking about it and we assume he worms his way over there.

GamerXXX

Banned
just checked detailed review on youtube from Grace (beyondthetrailer), i expected a horrible review because she has been very negative on MOS and Cavill before it came out and surprisingly, review wasn't that bad, was decent and she ended up loving Cavill's performance. I think these polarized reviews have even increased by interest level in watching this!

I know a writer at Wired who told me yesterday her article on it (should be coming soon) is going to be REALLY negative, and that I dodged a bullet missing the press screening.

The gist was that she thought the movie entirely misses the point of the character, and in fact, damages Superman.

AkuMifune

Banned
This is going to be eviscerated. Some lady reviewer on the morning radio show said it's too dour, the sweetness is gone, and they missed the point of Superman. She said she's writing a bad review as well.

I am getting the sense that people are expecting a Donner film and feel like kicking this because they're sick of superhero films. Ugh.

this is why i say fuck doomsday for the sequel. it will be so mindless if they go with that guy.

and hire somebody else besides goyer for the script. the reason why batman begins was good was because nolan's brother reined his ass in. plus it was at a simpler time when nolan wasn't so far up his own butt.

Okay, SOME people are going to eviscerate it, yes, but it's pretty obvious that as of now, the movie itself isn't going to be widely/generally shit upon. Worst case scenario - it's regarded as "okay." That's how it seems to be shaking out.

The wide range of opinions on it so far are pretty interesting, though, as is the fact that a lot of reviewers are feeling compelled to share their own personal histories with the character as sort of a reference level to work from inside the review itself. I don't think that's a bad thing at all.

G-Fex

the character?

What character are they talking about?

Christopher Reeves Donner singer Routh Superman?

Do they know comic superman?

Maybe any other incarnation of Superman like say DCAU Superman?

SimleuqiR

This is going to be eviscerated. Some lady reviewer on the morning radio show said it's too dour, the sweetness is gone, and they missed the point of Superman. She said she's writing a bad review as well.

I am getting the sense that people are expecting a Donner film and feel like kicking this because they're sick of superhero films. Ugh.

This is a fair point if all you know about Superman is from the Donner film(s). Which is also the problem.

I'm thinking anyone born in the the 90's, and those whose only knowledge of Superman is Smallville will enjoy the movie.

My friend just text me, he said it was one of the best Super hero movies he has ever seen.

To me that means a lot, because he is an authority on comics etc...................

The more I think about it the more I'm glad that they went with a direction that is polarizing and isn't gelling with people's more simplistic notions of Superman.

Movies like Captain America and Thor don't take a single risk or try to do anything remotely interesting or spectacular with the source material and they more or less get a free pass from critics because they're so bland and inoffensive.

Superman Returns. We want more action!

Man of Steel. Too much action!

This is what I had feared.

The film was released here in Taipei today, so we saw a 2pm showing (with a nicely packed theater).

This really is the best of Superman on the silver screen for me, without question.

Yes, the action is epic in scope and begins to wear itself out towards the end...but each and every bit of this spectacle is earned, due in large part to the emotional threads that weave themselves in and out of the grand narrative.

Structure and pacing for this film are absolutely spot on, even if this seems to be a point of contention for many critics. People who are complaining about these things really are forgetting the whining and complaining about the pacing and structure of Superman Returns.

Snyder pulls off an extremely neat little trick in the editing room. He tells an origin/reboot story without allowing it to feel like an origin/rebot story. After the absolutely abysmal and utterly forgettable Amazing Spiderman, I can't thank him enough for that. It actually does manage to feel fresh and doesn't fall victim to "pointless retread" syndrome.

The film cuts back and forth, chronologically, and each scene layers in a bit of emotional weight before giving way to the next scene, and that's what worked so well for me. The mythology is there, beautifully realized, and it's shown more than told. So, yes, while it feels like Clark/Superman is seemingly given very little to work with in terms of dialogue, it's the focus on a decidedly "lost and confused" Superman that anchors the current events to the (suprisingly emotional) backstory.

The casting is also pitch-perfect. Russel Crowe as Jor-El just rocks so very, very hard. Doubly true for the always stellar Michael Shannon. Kevin Costner and Diane Lane are really effective as the Kents (Costner brings some genuinely tear-worthy moments to the film). Oh, and thank FUCK that Kate Bosworth can no longer be synonymous with "Lois Lane". Amy Adams wipes the bad taste left by her clean out the mouth.

There are some easy nitpicks that people will go for, as well as a couple of glaring flaws. The heavy use of CGI in the fight scenes is more hit than miss...but when it does miss, it can be an eyesore. Thankfully the bulk of the CGI overload doesn't arrive until close to the end, and when it does end...there's a scene that makes it VERY worthwhile.

Just to elaborate, with SPOILERS:

The fight scenes between Supes and Zod's army were exhilirating chunks of BADASSERY all of their own (and Faora-Ul was such a slick villain, almost as intense and effective as Zod himself). The fights in Smallville were just rock-solid. People made jokes about Superman Returns in that we never get to see Superman really "punch the living fuck out of someone"...well they asked for it, and they got it, BIG TIME. It's really, really awesome stuff.

But then something odd happens, by the time we get to the final showdown between Superman and Zod, one-on-one, the action scenes and the CGI overload had already kind of worn me down. Then it nearly shits the bed, almost going full-on video game with these two God-like behemoths duking it out against every backdrop imaginable, leaving the most jaw-dropping path of destruction in their wake. We're talking hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars in property damage, for sure. Then I find myself thinking "Please, please stop before you ruin everything good that has come before this..."

And then the movie totally and utterly saves that climax from CGI hell with the best scene in the movie. Superman is forced to snap Zod's neck to save the lives of a family (HUGE criticism to interject with on this, though, Superman's battle with Zod has definitely already killed thousands at this point, from the path of destruction alone). Regardless of that criticism, the scene still works in such a tremendous and profound way that I've never seen in a superhero movie before. The hero is forced to kill the villain, and he is utterly devastated for having to take that life, even if that life is inherently evil.

Caville REALLY sold that scene, for me. That was the heart of the movie right there. That's who Superman is, in a nutshell. It's the movie's journey to find the character and understand him and for him to understand his place on Earth. His love for mankind and his sacrifices. It's a tremendous moment, and a huge victory for the movie. My wife and I, along with the rest of the theater, were stunned into silence. That and the final few minutes really take the movie home.

Amazing film, easily one of the best of the year. I could put this above the most recent comic book film offerings without hesitation, and I'm not even a Superman "fan".

I think the controversial thing some of us have talked about is what is ruining the movie for some of these critics.

I postulated that it would for people here on gaf, that it might ruin the film no matter how you've felt up to that point.

Maybe that's what's happening here

[B said:
Marion Cobretti[/B];62874336]Because we're fans of the character obviously.
And because for the first time in 35 years (longer than a good chunk of us have been alive), we're potentially getting a proper Superman movie with all the bells and whistles.
Of course there's gonna be fans that reach insane levels of hype.
Me personally, my levels of hype are similar to that scene in the ending of 2001. Eventually it hit such a high note, that everything went silent, and I couldn't even be hyped anymore. All I could do was accept the wait and move on knowing I would soon be joining him in the sun.
Come Thursday, I'll walk out of my house in the morning, close my eyes, and bask in the sun like superman does, knowing, that I'll be seeing the movie finally that night.
If the movie ends up sucking, it'll be the biggest disappointment since Super Mario Sunshine.
Let us all hope that's not the case.

I just wanted to quote 'cause you have the best name in the forum.

I don't think it's wildly out of left field to compare major summer movies, esp. in terms of giving people alternatives to see in theaters.

it is if I come to your restaurant and ask for steak and you give me salad.

Solrac is on the defensive whenever some one badmouths (or simply dislikes) DC in any media.
RT score is down to 67%

a ridiculous accusation. I just want the film to be graded honestly and on it's own merits. people who want cats stuck trees rescued maybe shouldn't review it.

This movie is solid all around. I liked it plenty. IMAX definitely helped though. DAT SOUND SHAKE

don't forget to post in the spoiler thread.

a comic book maybe, not a movie. why would anyone want to go to the teather to see two hours of super-powered soul searching? back then I wanted to love Superman Returns because IT WAS THE ONLY SUPERMAN MOVIE. but for two hours nothing happened except a rethread of very old and corny themes. it was pretty for sure but that's it.

I know a writer at Wired who told me yesterday her article on it (should be coming soon) is going to be REALLY negative, and that I dodged a bullet missing the press screening.

The gist was that she thought the movie entirely misses the point of the character, and in fact, damages Superman.

does she actually know the character? she read a comic in the last 30 years? if she can't answer that then she's just a Reeve head and doesn't really know how the character has changed post Reeve Superman.

I feel that critics aren't connected to fans anymore.

Dahbomb

I accidentally read that big spoiler. :/

If that is really what is causing some of the bad reviews then I am just... I don't know what to say. It's not even comparable to the Superman Returns super child story line which in fact ruined that movie far more.

The film was released here in Taipei today, so we saw a 2pm showing (with a nicely packed theater).

This really is the best of Superman on the silver screen for me, without question.

Yes, the action is epic in scope and begins to wear itself out towards the end...but each and every bit of this spectacle is earned, due in large part to the emotional threads that weave themselves in and out of the grand narrative.

Structure and pacing for this film are absolutely spot on, even if this seems to be a point of contention for many critics. People who are complaining about these things really are forgetting the whining and complaining about the pacing and structure of Superman Returns.

Snyder pulls off an extremely neat little trick in the editing room. He tells an origin/reboot story without allowing it to feel like an origin/rebot story. After the absolutely abysmal and utterly forgettable Amazing Spiderman, I can't thank him enough for that. It actually does manage to feel fresh and doesn't fall victim to "pointless retread" syndrome.

The film cuts back and forth, chronologically, and each scene layers in a bit of emotional weight before giving way to the next scene, and that's what worked so well for me. The mythology is there, beautifully realized, and it's shown more than told. So, yes, while it feels like Clark/Superman is seemingly given very little to work with in terms of dialogue, it's the focus on a decidedly "lost and confused" Superman that anchors the current events to the (suprisingly emotional) backstory.

The casting is also pitch-perfect. Russel Crowe as Jor-El just rocks so very, very hard. Doubly true for the always stellar Michael Shannon. Kevin Costner and Diane Lane are really effective as the Kents (Costner brings some genuinely tear-worthy moments to the film). Oh, and thank FUCK that Kate Bosworth can no longer be synonymous with "Lois Lane". Amy Adams wipes the bad taste left by her clean out the mouth.

There are some easy nitpicks that people will go for, as well as a couple of glaring flaws. The heavy use of CGI in the fight scenes is more hit than miss...but when it does miss, it can be an eyesore. Thankfully the bulk of the CGI overload doesn't arrive until close to the end, and when it does end...there's a scene that makes it VERY worthwhile.

The fight scenes between Supes and Zod's army were exhilirating chunks of BADASSERY all of their own (and Faora-Ul was such a slick villain, almost as intense and effective as Zod himself). The fights in Smallville were just rock-solid. People made jokes about Superman Returns in that we never get to see Superman really "punch the living fuck out of someone"...well they asked for it, and they got it, BIG TIME. It's really, really awesome stuff.

But then something odd happens, by the time we get to the final showdown between Superman and Zod, one-on-one, the action scenes and the CGI overload had already kind of worn me down. Then it nearly shits the bed, almost going full-on video game with these two God-like behemoths duking it out against every backdrop imaginable, leaving the most jaw-dropping path of destruction in their wake. We're talking hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars in property damage, for sure. Then I find myself thinking "Please, please stop before you ruin everything good that has come before this..."

And then the movie totally and utterly saves that climax from CGI hell with the best scene in the movie. Superman is forced to snap Zod's neck to save the lives of a family (HUGE criticism to interject with on this, though, Superman's battle with Zod has definitely already killed thousands at this point, from the path of destruction alone). Regardless of that criticism, the scene still works in such a tremendous and profound way that I've never seen in a superhero movie before. The hero is forced to kill the villain, and he is utterly devastated for having to take that life, even if that life is inherently evil.

Caville REALLY sold that scene, for me. That was the heart of the movie right there. That's who Superman is, in a nutshell. It's the movie's journey to find the character and understand him and for him to understand his place on Earth. His love for mankind and his sacrifices. It's a tremendous moment, and a huge victory for the movie. My wife and I, along with the rest of the theater, were stunned into silence. That and the final few minutes really take the movie home.

Amazing film, easily one of the best of the year. I could put this above the most recent comic book film offerings without hesitation, and I'm not even a Superman "fan".

finally an honest review. what didn't you like about though? what could have been better?

jombag

Thank you for this review. I enjoyed reading it.

I'm more hyped to seeing this now!

I accidentally read that big spoiler. :/

If that is really what is causing some of the bad reviews then I am just... I don't know what to say. It's not even comparable to the Superman Returns super child story line which in fact ruined that movie far more.

Fucking hell, I am SO, SOOO sorry man!

I am SUPER bummed out that I spoiled that for someone. I was frantic, trying to fix that. I thought I had spoiler wrapped it, as I'm not used to the tools on this thread.

That was completely unintentional and I feel like a dick. I had someone spoil some Game of Thrones shit for me, and that really pissed me off.

It's not cool, even if accidental.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I love these reviewers who think they know the character of Superman and say he was done wrong in this film when basically all they can compare him to is Reeve and Singers movie.

As a die hard Superman fan outside of movies, that annoys me a lot.

lol I love the meltdown here. It's only an "honest" review when it's a positive one.

No meltdown, for my part. I had no expectations going in. I loved the first trailer I saw, deliberately avoided the others.

I just think it's silly that Superman Returns (a very fine film, IMO) is considered a failure by critics and fans alike for being almost "soap-opera like) in it's approach to Superman, and yet now that Snyder has given us a movie loaded with action, it's too much.

There's just no pleasing people these days.

It's a really good film, and it has plenty for everyone. There's a lot of gracefully executed scenes of quiet reserve and drama in the front-end that balance out the blockbuster-heavy third act.

I can honestly agree with a lot of the crticisms...but they are in no way a deal breaker for this film.

Top Bottom