• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Seems people on twitter and tumblr who got to see it early like Simo are loving the shit out of it so far.

Public will love it, critics will hate it.

Critics can stay out of the sun or on the bus.

Honestly I don't understand why some you have insane expectation. All I want from MOS is good action scene and a decent story.
Because we're fans of the character obviously.

And because for the first time in 35 years (longer than a good chunk of us have been alive), we're potentially getting a proper Superman movie with all the bells and whistles.

Of course there's gonna be fans that reach insane levels of hype.

Me personally, my levels of hype are similar to that scene in the ending of 2001. Eventually it hit such a high note, that everything went silent, and I couldn't even be hyped anymore. All I could do was accept the wait and move on knowing I would soon be joining him in the sun.

Come Thursday, I'll walk out of my house in the morning, close my eyes, and bask in the sun like superman does, knowing, that I'll be seeing the movie finally that night.

If the movie ends up sucking, it'll be the biggest disappointment since Super Mario Sunshine.

Let us all hope that's not the case.

kurahador

Seems people on twitter and tumblr who got to see it early like Simo are loving the shit out of it so far.

Public will love it, critics will hate it.

Critics can stay out of the sun or on the bus.

In time, they'll realize this movie help accomplish wonders.

Wilbur

Banned
RT ratings are useless for movies pre-2000.

RT ratings are useless full stop.

Everyone on GAF cums their pants over Speed Racer while the rest of the world hated it, that really should teach us not to give a fuck about RT.

As someone mentioned, the Hobbit got 65 or something, whereas I loved it. Bad Boys II is on 23 or something and I'm just about ready to call it the greatest avant garde piece of cinema of the last 25 years

G-Fex

You guys reviews won't affect me going into this

I'm aware of the mood in this thread but I have to judge it on my own

You guys don't care but my taste in movies is horrible anyway

Wilbur

Banned
Plus everyone ignores average rating anyway lol. If Superman got 3/5s and 6/10s across the board it would have a 100% on the fucking tomato meter when really it would be 60%.

Fuck tomatoes.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Hell I love love love John Carter and that was shitted on badly by critics and the public. Like Wilbur said RT is worthless and I can't wait for the day people ignore it. The site already pisses enough people off and they use it also as a place to attack critics as well, not sure why people bother with it.

Then again it's the internet, I shouldn't be surprised.

witness

just came from the 12:00 pm screening at SM Mall of Asia, Philippines, fuck, its double the Avengers vibe. Wow moments? Check, Christopher Reeve hallucinations? Check, Smallville throwback? Check, and for a moment there I thought I saw Tom Welling. Its larger than life, really, its just that amazing. Watch it in theaters and the 3D is damn good too. I really miss the old score from John Williams but Hans Zimmer really did a fantastic job. The Superman movie that we wanted to see. It's really all about the action.

This is awesome. Did the audience seem to enjoy it? Does it seem like its going to be popular/big there?

2 days!

cajunator

Banned
I watched After Earth twice and had fun with it.
This will likely be much better.
Got a ticket for 11:50 pm showing on Thursday.
Funnily enough I have never seen any Superman movies.

that's both awful taste and makes no sense. apples and oranges yo.

if you're going to make an honest critique or review you need to leave your personal bias behind otherwise you're kind of an amateur.

I don't think it's wildly out of left field to compare major summer movies, esp. in terms of giving people alternatives to see in theaters.

Plus everyone ignores average rating anyway lol. If Superman got 3/5s and 6/10s across the board it would have a 100% on the fucking tomato meter when really it would be 60%.

Fuck tomatoes.

Agreed, that's what i'm always telling my friends. WWZ is at 80%, but has an average rating of 6.1. Also, MOS already has a few 3/5's, two C+ and a B- that are being counted as negative. Shouldn't all these be positive?

cajunator

Banned
The only thing that matters at the end of the day is whether or not the movie satisfied you.
The only way to KNOW this is to watch it.

all this talk about non stop action in the second half just reminds me of that really awful hulk film with norton. which i feared this would be when everybody kept saying "superman's gonna punch somebody yo!"

but still i'm quite excited to see this based on the trailers and cast. and it will probably be a success so i really hope they give the sequel some breathing room for plot.

Considering that's what Superman fans have been vocal about on the internet ever since SR - "we want more action, action, action" - if this does become the case, then I hope they enjoy their dish.

Some people just want to see a particular comic book pane translated into a movie. That's it. Hulk could have been wearing a cape and they'd have blown their load.

I cant wait to see this movie on Friday and hopefully enjoy it.

fuenf

All the geek websites love it, that's good enough for me. I had to lol at Harry Knowles hyperbolic review, though:
AICN said:
As Dad walked up to my car after the movie tonight, wiping tears away from his eyes he looked at me and said, “Ya know, I’m pretty sure that’s the best superhero movie ever made.” And I looked at him, same smile and the same tears – and I said, “I absolutely agree, Dad!”

I loved everything about MAN OF STEEL.

As a film about Fathers, belonging, roots and destiny – it’s just fucking awesome! As a film about unleashing the full potential of super powered combat at a level that really does kick the living shit out of the MATRIX battles… yeah, it does that. As a film about making Lois Lane awesome and not Lois Lame… The film does that too.

pel1300

as I said..the early buzz is reminding me of The Matrix Reloaded.

many hyperbolic positive reviews mixed with several negative ones.

many people actually loved reloaded when it first released, but as the film aged people began to realize the visuals were all it had going for it.

fuenf

as I said..the early buzz is reminding me of The Matrix Reloaded.

many hyperbolic positive reviews mixed with several negative ones.

many people actually loved reloaded when it first released, but as the film aged people began to realize the visuals were all it had going for it.

WHAT? Reloaded was a great film (at the time), with a great setup and tons of potential at the end... it was just that Revolutions was so bad it retroactively ruined Reloaded.

GamerXXX

Banned
Hope this movie does well! and hopefully won't ruin Cavill's career, like returns did to Routh. Cavill worked his ass off and by all acounts, was great as superman; even most of the negative reviews have praised him. Looks like Goyer/Nolan/Snyder will be to blame if this movie doesn't meet expectations at box office.

pel1300

WHAT? Reloaded was a great film (at the time), with a great setup and tons of potential at the end... it was just that Revolutions was so bad it retroactively ruined Reloaded.

no actually reloaded is considered a big disappointment.

This is awesome. Did the audience seem to enjoy it? Does it seem like its going to be popular/big there?

2 days!

the viewers were clapping after the movie, and at some point I heard somebody crying during one of Kent's scene. Not much references here but keep an eye on one of the larger vehicles, and yes Superman is popular/big in this part of the world.

Raptor

Hell I love love love John Carter and that was shitted on badly by critics and the public. Like Wilbur said RT is worthless and I can't wait for the day people ignore it. The site already pisses enough people off and they use it also as a place to attack critics as well, not sure why people bother with it.

Then again it's the internet, I shouldn't be surprised.

I thikn Watchmen is the best comic book movie ever followed by Blade 2.

Im sure I will love this because the thinds "critics" are complaining are things I love in my movies personally.

All this hate is making me want to see it more.

pel1300

i think this will do well overseas, much like The Amazing Spiderman did.

I noticed in other countries, people care mainly about action and special effects.

ie - The Dark Knight in Korea wasn't nearly as popular as TDKR.

LosDaddie

Banned
Bought my ticket for Friday at 8pm in IMAX 3D! :)

As usual, it's looking like the critics & I will disagree on a movie. Too much action? Sounds great!

Fuck Fast and the Furious. You guys are really going to make me watch this shit.

Being serious, F&F1 is alright, then 2, 3 and 4 blow copious amounts of phallus. I went to go see number 5 with a bunch of mates for cheap, just going out for something to do and expecting to dislike the film

it fucking BLEW my mind. Like serious, the best action film since Bad Boys II (fuck the h8rz). It was just amazing, so much fun.

6 was almost as good, but still top top top entertainment. Watch 1, 5, 6. Fuck the rest.

dammit...F5 is on HBO Go. I guess I'll watch it this weekend. I never got into the F&F series since I don't give a shit about car racing.

Is RT still the same old formula of yay or nay pretty much? 7/10 means most people liked it right? good enough.

All that matters for me... how are the punches?

Is RT still the same old formula of yay or nay pretty much? 7/10 means most people liked it right? good enough.

All that matters for me... how are the punches?

There's some really cool ones. One of the best aspects of the movie is how Snyder has action scenes that last for miles while people are flying at high-speed. That aspect was really well done.

Raguel

This meltdown has been amusing.

Indeed. This is happens to NEOGAF every time. People need to rein in their hype. I am still gonna see the movie and love the fuck out of it because I love films, comics, and Superman but 1) Rotten tomatoes is a poor barometer for movie quality 2) and so are the responses from early screenings.

Raptor

There's some really cool ones. One of the best aspects of the movie is how Snyder has action scenes that last for miles while people are flying at high-speed. That aspect was really well done.

Well my friend this alone puts it above Returns.

How can a movie with no action whatsoever could be better than what you are describing?

Seems contradictory to me since we knew from the start that this movie woudl be action packed and not some Malick heavy story focused.

Well my friend this alone puts it above Returns.

How can a movie with no action whatsoever could be better than what you are describing?

Seems contradictory to me since we knew from the start that this movie woudl be action packed and not some Malick heavy story focused.

Huh? What I'm describing lasts for a few minutes in a 2 hour and 20 minute movie. There's a lot of room for mediocreness to sneak in elsewhere.

Raptor

Huh? What I'm describing lasts for a few minutes in a 2 hour and 20 minute movie. There's a lot of room for mediocreness to sneak in elsewhere.

But Returns is mediocre from start to finish, there is nothing in that movie that could be great or above average, thats my point here, you said Returns was better or that you liked that movie more but for the things you are saying it doesn't make sense to me.

At least MoS has great action going by what you say, Returns has NO action, well if you consider doing things that were done 30 years ago and lifting an island action then I don't know what to say.

Sanjuro

Review aggregators have an impact. I think it's naive to think otherwise.

You are comparing it to Superman Returns. Do you honestly believe the average moviegoer is going to directly compare the Rotten Tomatoes score against Superman Returns, the moment before they make the drive to the theater?

You are comparing it to Superman Returns. Do you honestly believe the average moviegoer is going to directly compare the Rotten Tomatoes score against Superman Returns, the moment before they make the drive to the theater?

No, but they will compare it to something like The Avengers, which was at 90+ on RT.

Log4Girlz

RT ratings are useless full stop.

Everyone on GAF cums their pants over Speed Racer while the rest of the world hated it, that really should teach us not to give a fuck about RT.

As someone mentioned, the Hobbit got 65 or something, whereas I loved it. Bad Boys II is on 23 or something and I'm just about ready to call it the greatest avant garde piece of cinema of the last 25 years

Speed Racer is a really bad movie though. Having said that, the scores need to be taken with a grain of salt. A lot of reviewers are snooty.

Top Bottom