• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Lebron

From Rotten Tomatoes:

1006128_572983442722508_417225268_n.jpg

ib26Sh6IBlHgy1.gif

Chinner

Banned
so i was going to see a film for my birthday

either
man of nolan
fast and furious 6
or star twek (if its still in the cinema)
jurassic park 3d

what do i do????

Dave_6

Ugh, the impressions/reviews in this thread are killing my hype :/

I've got my LE soundtrack sitting here and haven't listened to it yet :(

all this talk about non stop action in the second half just reminds me of that really awful hulk film with norton. which i feared this would be when everybody kept saying "superman's gonna punch somebody yo!"

but still i'm quite excited to see this based on the trailers and cast. and it will probably be a success so i really hope they give the sequel some breathing room for plot.

Daft_Cat

It's weird that this is getting lukewarm reception. I mean, a week ago I was led to believe that this was going to be on the level of the Nolan Batmans. Where did that notion come from?

I mean, so far the early critical reception is not too far off from something like Batman Begins or The Prestige. That is to say 70-80's on Rotten Tomatoes, with 50-60's from top critics.

However interesting it's gotten in the last two days, it's about to get about 15x more interesting once the members of this forum actually SEE the thing in general.

So if this isn't a massive hit what does Warner Brothers do? Shelve the franchise for even longer and try again or ride it out?

At this point they're probably all-in, regardless. If it only makes 250 domestic - they gotta run with that somehow.

Toa TAK

Banned
1. It's amazing that people still care about RT scores.
2. Zack Snyder is the director. After Sucker Punch his is no better than M. Night Shyamalan 2004 to present.
We'll see about that.

Anywho, these reviews still haven't put a dent in my excitement. As I've never been one who's cared about them.

inm8num2

After Sucker Punch his is no better than M. Night Shyamalan 2004 to present.

I didn't see SP because it looked awful, but ZS has done Dawn of the Dead, 300, and Watchmen. I'd say two of those three are rock solid good movies.

Comparing him to the Twist seems rather overdramatic. Shyamalan accidentally made one decent movie (possibly two) and a bunch of turds. Snyder has done quite better.

Veelk

Banned
Why does everyone forget that Owls of Ga'hoole movie? It was decent and most certainly better than sucker punch atleast.

ReiGun

This thread has gotten so sour and negative. lol

So if this isn't a massive hit what does Warner Brothers do? Shelve the franchise for even longer and try again or ride it out?

They've already fast tracked the sequel and got Goyer working on Justice League, so they're going for broke. So probably ride it out.

GreekWolf

Ouch, this is like the Hobbit all over again. Admittedly, I'm not a major Supes fan and haven't been following this project all that intently, but it's still disappointing to see the inital reactions from critics.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I'm for sure getting the whole cast one on Friday. Not sure I want to wait around on Thursday for some random time only to not snatch one/make it through the checkout process with the young Clark poster.

I know why Mondo does it, but it's so annoying.

These lower reviews are good for me, because they've lowered my hype to reasonable levels. Still excited to see it with my friends on Friday and see for myself. I still believe it will be great!

Thanks for saving me $12.

you can't think for yourself? that's sad.

Yes, Iron Man 3 is better. So is Star Trek Into Darkness, Fast & Furious 6 and especially The Great Gatsby.

that's both awful taste and makes no sense. apples and oranges yo.

Batman Begins > The Dark Knight > Iron Man> TDKR > Batman Returns > Batman (1989) > Ang Lee Hulk > Superman Returns > Iron Man 3 > Thor > Cap America > Edward Norton Hulk > Avengers > Iron Man 2 > Schumacher puke >>>>>> Green Lantern

MoS is somewhere between Iron Man 3 and Edward Norton Hulk

have you seen the movie, can you please review it?

Eh, it's not a great deal better. My summer studio rankings thus far:

This is the End - B
The Great Gatsby - B
Iron Man 3 - B
Star Trek Into Darkness - B-
Fast & Furious 6 - C+
Man of Steel - C
The Hangover Part III - D

Hey, if anyone can enjoy the last half of this movie, more power to them. I've simply grown tired of mindless CG-filled, never-ending battles.

if you're going to make an honest critique or review you need to leave your personal bias behind otherwise you're kind of an amateur.

It is getting more level headed. Which makes me want to read it again.

of course YOU would.

This is the dark side of hype. Being excited about something means you scrounge for every speck of info. And when you find info saying something that doesn't line up with your expectations of it, it's offputting, so people tend to try to falsify that information somehow.

This is the price you pay for a ticket onto the hype train.

I wonder how long it will take solo to start speaking in MoS quotes.

my expectations is for movie critics not to fucking bring up a 35 year old movie and cats in trees and try to grade something against it's own merits and what it's trying to do and understand that characters (especially comic book characters) ewvolve and what worked in 1978 isn't going to be the same in 2013

yeah, trailers were amazing... sold us a special movie. Hey, on the bright side, 70 score is mostly positive! and who knows what critics are looking for. If some critics are looking for godfather worthy scripts and a movie that delivers at every level, then they shouldn't be reviwing movies. Also, those who don't like or understand superman will most likely be the ones voting most negatively.

I think MOS will end up doing well at box office and when it's all said and done, succesful. It sure looks like it won't be this special, amazing movie trailers and this dream team promised us; oh well.

have you seen the movie as well?

And sometimes people deserve to have their faith put in check and be brought back to reality. It cuts both ways unfortunately.

most reviews are still positive.
and I guess now we should call this thread the Supercritic makes choices for us.

just came from the 12:00 pm screening at SM Mall of Asia, Philippines, fuck, its double the Avengers vibe. Wow moments? Check, Christopher Reeve hallucinations? Check, Smallville throwback? Check, and for a moment there I thought I saw Tom Welling. Its larger than life, really, its just that amazing. Watch it in theaters and the 3D is damn good too. I really miss the old score from John Williams but Hans Zimmer really did a fantastic job. The Superman movie that we wanted to see. It's really all about the action.

just came from the 12:00 pm screening at SM Mall of Asia, Philippines, fuck, its double the Avengers vibe. Wow moments? Check, Christopher Reeve hallucinations? Check, Smallville throwback? Check, and for a moment there I thought I saw Tom Welling. Its larger than life, really, its just that amazing. Watch it in theaters and the 3D is damn good too.

I don't know what to do with myself anymore. I stopped watching the trailers, but I can't stay away from the threads and discussion.

MUST watch this movie already and end this chapter of hype in my life. This almost isn't healthy.

I would love nothing more than for this film to be one of those new experiences that aging critics just don't get, like Terminator in 1984 or something, and have the fan reception and box office receipts just totally blow their minds.

Top Bottom