• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

I can only get your bitterness through every one of your posts, you want this movie to fail and you enjoy the fan dissapointment, the worst kind of person in this type of thread. FO.

If this movie gets Ghost Rider levels I'm just gonna jump off my window
I'm not bitter at all, I've got my tix and am looking forward to seeing the movie for myself. I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy it too, I'm not very critical with things im fond of (superheroes, superman). Especially with story stuff, i never see plot holes or things like that.

I get it, I'm snarky. But people looking for reasons to dismiss other opinions because theyre "donner fans", "obviously" not real superman fans or they're" watching the movie wrong" get on my nerves something fierce, so i let it show from time to time. My bad, I guess? And the hypocrisy kinda drives me nuts too, cuz if that RT score was high it would be held up for all of gaf to see but whatever.

I don't want this movie to fail, i dont even know where that comes from. From the snark? I don't even-last thing i care about is box office.

Zabka

I wouldn't call either review overwhelmingly negative at all. Just goes to show all these scores don't mean a damn.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
You should actually read the reviews there, because they are very obviously negative

I read them. Other reviews for diff movies have read negative/mixed, been given a B minus on the site and are considered fresh. That's not the case for this movie.

So RT isnt going by their standard way of doing things.

inm8num2

Can't wait for RLM guys to talk about MoS. I have a feeling they will actually enjoy the film despite whatever faults they discuss.

Sanjuro

Can't wait for RLM guys to talk about MoS. I have a feeling they will actually enjoy the film despite whatever faults they discuss.

I wish they were prompter to the films they review, or start getting into quicker advanced screenings. My only problem with their videos is normally I've already seen the film prior to their review being uploaded.

I like the MST3K aspect of their show. Very enjoyable.

Jarmel

Banned
I read them. Other reviews for diff movies have read negative/mixed, been given a B minus on the site and are considered fresh. That's not the case for this movie.

So RT isnt going by their standard way of doing things.

It was the reviewer's choice, he thought it was rotten. End of story. Don't blame RT unless the reviewer comes out and says he thought it was fresh.

ReiGun

I always though that RT had people actually read the reviews to determine if they're fresh or not. I assume this isn't the case? Then how do they determine it?

When there was only two gaf reviews, one overwhelmingly positive and one negative you stuck to death with the negative even when all impressions were glowing, admit it, you're happy because you acted cool and your superior intellect could see this coming miles away
The most i talked about was the ending spoiler and how i think some fans may react to it. I really have nothing to admit, i just gave my honest feelings in the previous post but hey, if my posts bother you there is an easy remedy for that.

A duel.

Jarmel

Banned
I always though that RT had people actually read the reviews to determine if they're fresh or not. I assume this isn't the case? Then how do they determine it?

My understanding is that if movies are on the borderline like C+ or B- then RT automatically contacts the reviewer to get confirmation as to whether the review is rotten or fresh.

Can you search GAF far enough back to determine what pre-release looked like for Batman Begins?

I'm curious to see if there's parallels.

by the way, here's the bar I'm hoping this movie clears:

"good Zack Snyder movie."

That's it. Hopefully it doesn't shin itself on that bar. You might argue that maybe I'm setting the bar too low. But eh. A good Zack Snyder movie is a fun time at the movies. So hopefully I'll get that.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
It was the reviewer's choice, he thought it was rotten. End of story. Don't blame RT unless the reviewer comes out and says he thought it was fresh.

I will blame RT. It's a shit site that is just feeding bs arguments.

I could give a shit if he liked it, the site lists it as a B- so it should be a positive based on RT rating system, thats all.

Sanjuro

Batman Begins had almost no adverts or hype unless you were a comic book fan or watched Smallville and got some great WB adverts.

Film had incredible legs. Something movies today simply aren't created with any longer due to the rapid nature of the box office.

ReiGun

My understanding is that if movies are on the borderline like C+ or B- then RT automatically contacts the reviewer to get confirmation as to whether the review is rotten or fresh.

Ah I see.

I'm not sure I like the "rotten or fresh" binary measure. It's the same thing I see on Gaf where something either is awesome or shit. Though, I suppose that's what the percentage is there to help alleviate.

To be honest, the polarizing reviews have made me more curious to see it.

Solo

Batman Begins had almost no adverts or hype unless you were a comic book fan or watched Smallville and got some great WB adverts.

Film had incredible legs. Something movies today simply aren't created with any longer due to the rapid nature of the box office.

I contributed majorly to BB. Saw it 5 (!) times.

Ahhhh......to be a university student with copious amounts of free time to see any movie 5 times in theatres again :_(

Ahhhh......to be a university student with copious amounts of free time to see any movie 5 times in theatres again :_(

Were you on GAF back then? Do you remember what the discussions played out like?

I seriously remember the internet circles I was traveling in regarding the movie as "pretty decent" and that was mostly it. They weren't so much happy with the film as they were happy that it managed to dig itself out of the Schumacher hole. The esteem for the film went up thanks to rewatches on DVD. Initial reactions - though generally positive - were kinda subdued.

Basically, I wanna know if I'm remembering this wrong :)

Were you on GAF back then? Do you remember what the discussions played out like?

I seriously remember the internet circles I was traveling in regarding the movie as "pretty decent" and that was mostly it. They weren't so much happy with the film as they were happy that it managed to dig itself out of the Schumacher hole. The esteem for the film went up thanks to rewatches on DVD. Initial reactions - though generally positive - were kinda subdued.

I didn't pay too much attention to any internet criticism of it when it came out. I just remember paying attention to all the news and pics coming out for it and being wildly hyped for it.

Sanjuro

You have me tied. It stands at the most I've ever seen a film in theaters. Saw it opening night IMAX with a large group of people, several times in between convincing other friends how it was fantastic, and the last day at the IMAX theater.

At that time, the one of the local IMAXs theater donated most of their money towards charities. The IMAX would get the second run of those films. Now it's all about the money.

I also worked at Blockbuster back then. So, I've probably seen Batman Begins about a thousand times at least.

Matrix

Ah I see.

I'm not sure I like the "rotten or fresh" binary measure. It's the same thing I see on Gaf where something either is awesome or shit. Though, I suppose that's what the percentage is there to help alleviate.

To be honest, the polarizing reviews have made me more curious to see it.

The site makes no sense and never has imo. His C+ is a positive tomato but MOS B- is a negative

http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainment/movies/reviews/20110908-contagion-c.ece

Solo

I was on GAF then, and I do remember the OT. First and foremost, GAF was *MUCH* smaller back in those days. Film OTs weren't getting thousands and thousands of posts.

I'd have to pull up the OT to see the reactions though. No idea what I wrote about it. I loved the movie right away (obviously, as I saw it 5 times), but I don't think GAF became obsessed with it until 2006 or 2007.

inm8num2

I wish they were prompter to the films they review, or start getting into quicker advanced screenings. My only problem with their videos is normally I've already seen the film prior to their review being uploaded.

I like the MST3K aspect of their show. Very enjoyable.

I think they just go see movies at their local cinemas after they're released rather than get into advanced screenings.

But in a way I like to digest a movie before hearing their thoughts on it, so I don't mind the delay.

Matrix

I was on GAF then, and I do remember the OT. First and foremost, GAF was *MUCH* smaller back in those days. Film OTs weren't getting thousands and thousands of posts.

I'd have to pull up the OT to see the reactions though. No idea what I wrote about it. I loved the movie right away (obviously, as I saw it 5 times), but I don't think GAF became obsessed with it until 2006 or 2007.

I loved Begins right away as well and saw it like 3 times in the theater. Odd that I can't remember talking about it much on GAF :\

I remember being pumped for it even with the first short teaser of just the screen shot of him in the fatman suit lol

I was actually perusing through that thread yesterday. You fucking loved it.

As did plenty of other posters. But there was a decent amount of disinterest and hate for it as well. People were expecting something more fantastical, and got the exact opposite. Plus, there's that horrific third act that can be ignored in hindsight.

Matrix

Found it!

BATMAN BEGINS OT

Strangely enough I don't appear to have even so much as reviewed the film in it.

lol I miss Willco. He was the one that spoiled if I recall and told everyone about piano throwing kid in Returns.

Oh I was posting about it... man my memory sucks.

Nesotenso

ReiGun

Found it!

BATMAN BEGINS OT

Strangely enough I don't appear to have even so much as reviewed the film in it.

Yeah, Warner Bros. has seen how fans, critics and movie-goers alike react when you inject these iconic characters with a little bit of credibility. Giving Whedon the Wonder Woman series, Singer the Superman series and taking their time with Watchman might really pay off.
LOL

Wait this makes me sad.

DMczaf

I don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Let's do this, Matrix!

eplrR0s.jpg

Matrix

Holy shit I'm ranting in the thread about Begins reviews being compared to the Burton films like I am with MOS and Donner.

I haven't changed since 05 lol

Some of you were so much more innocent then.

You've gotten a lot grumpier in the interim :)

i think comic book films were better then too though. the over saturation of them in the market has now left a lot of the new ones feeling very stale.

i'm throwing all my chips into Ant Man. I honestly think only Edgar Wright can make it refreshing again out of all these directors. Also excited for Singer's return to X Men but cautious about the script

Matrix

Cynicism gets us all with time, Fatboy ;)

I too miss Willco. He was my Spider-Man 2 bro.

I found my review of Begins in there lol

I went into massive detail!

"Best superhero movie ever...f-ing amazing :D :D :D "

i think comic book films were better then too though. the over saturation of them in the market has now left a lot of the new ones feeling very stale.

i'm throwing all my chips into Ant Man. I honestly think only Edgar Wright can make it refreshing again out of all these directors. Also excited for Singer's return to X Men but cautious about the script

Guardians of the Galaxy is where my faith is right now. But Wright will make a really fun Ant Man movie.

It's strange that people use these scoring systems and don't have a clear See it / Don't see it cutoff point.

There are some films I'll see no matter what the score. Green Lantern was one of them. I wanted it to be good...in hindsight I'd of preferred the rumored Jack Black version.

I'm still excited to see MoS, but my expectations are in check. Which is good because the summer films have been pretty disappointing to me so far, with the exception of F&F6 which is a dumb, fun good time.

Top Bottom