• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Wilbur

Banned
Crossposting from other thread:

The fact that Spiderman 3 got anything near 63%, the fact Iron Man 2 is on 73%, the fact that Avengers is on 85/90 or whatever it is, the fact that fucking shitty Captain America is on 70%... I just don't give a fuck about Rotten Tomatoes. It's critics. Most of them are upwards of 30, a lot of them in their 50s and 60s. Their opinions are not one iota more important than any random bloggers, person on the street or my own. If I replaced all the critics on Rotten Tomatoes with reviews from GAF, it would make literally no difference as to the quality of a movie because who the fuck gives a shit about consensus

This whole week with TLOU and Superman shit has blown my mind as to how much people care about things like this, its hilarious

but seriously bad boys II should be higher

Seeing it Sunday. Pretty excited, its literally the only thing ever that's made me interested in Superman. Seen Returns, not seen 1-4 or Smallville or TAS or read comics #yolo

I might see this Sunday since I can get a free ticket. But I've never been to a theater on Father's Day. How packed is a typical Father's Day when it comes to new releases of huge blockbusters?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Probably not seeing it til Monday :_(

Sooner than me, no tears for you!

I'm super pumped and RT and critics won't change that.

In the famous words of Kevin Spacey "BRING IT ON!"

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The reviews it's getting don't bother me. If I end up enjoying it then that's all that matters to me. There's plenty of movies I love that were critically panned.

But what does annoy me is seeing something as pure shite as Superman Returns have such a good RT rating. That just upsets me. If that's what's considered a good Superman movie by the critics then it kinda makes me glad Man of Steel is getting not so good reviews. If Superman Returns is the kind of Superman movie that the critics enjoy then quite frankly I hope Man of Steel and every other Superman movie ever made in the future becomes a massive flop with the critics. Anything to separate it from the turd that was Superman Returns.

Also how the hell did Iron Man 2 get good reviews?

Perhaps they've made superman joyless to prepare us

GrumpyLeagueOfAmerica.jpg

i dont know/think they've made him joyless, just reached for a reason to post this. It wasn't hard!

Raptor

This is the day!!

Today I will see at last this beast!!

I can't hardly work or do anything, Im su pumped god damn!!

942843_10201472279911960_2082903291_n.jpg

Im already in the sun!!

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
The reviews it's getting don't bother me. If I end up enjoying it then that's all that matters to me. There's plenty of movies I love that were critically panned.

But what does annoy me is seeing something as pure shite as Superman Returns have such a good RT rating. That just upsets me. If that's what's considered a good Superman movie by the critics then it kinda makes me glad Man of Steel is getting not so good reviews. If Superman Returns is the kind of Superman movie that the critics enjoy then quite frankly I hope Man of Steel and every other Superman movie ever made in the future becomes a massive flop with the critics. Anything to separate it from the turd that was Superman Returns.

Also how the hell did Iron Man 2 get good reviews?
This post sums up my thoughts.

The special effects from the trailer alone make this look better than Superman Returns.

Did Kevin Costner pull another water world? "Play the dad, and it will fail".

AkuMifune

Banned
XD

Thanks!

You bringing the daughter or worried the action is too much? Just curious!

Superman II might be my favorite superhero film of all time still, followed by Batman Begins. So a remake of II in the style of BB that everyone seems to not like must be my favorite thing ever.

Still hyped! It'll be my first movie at an Alamo Drafthouse too. Might as well.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Can't wait to hear what Raptor and Bit-Bit think... spoiler free impressions in here of course :p

Hope you guys enjoy it!

and anyone else who's seeing it tonight.

Caode

I was lucky enough to attend a screening of Man of Steel last night. It's a solid film, it's a good reboot of the character and the universe.... it leaves the franchise with a solid foundation to build upon in future installments. It is flawed but solid is the word I would use to describe it best.

7.5/10

Matrix

Can you read my mind?

Raptor

You bringing the daughter or worried the action is too much? Just curious!

Superman II might be my favorite superhero film of all time still, followed by Batman Begins. So a remake of II in the style of BB that everyone seems to not like must be my favorite thing ever.

Still hyped! It'll be my first movie at an Alamo Drafthouse too. Might as well.

Im not taken my daighter with me tonight because it will end close to 3am lol.

No Im not worried, teh complaints Im reading about "too much action" "is too serious" are not a bad things to me, in fact that excites me more because I don't want a comedy IronMan 3 style nor a boring movie Returns style.

Raguel

Christ, I hate it when reviewers harp on Man of Steel for not being "fun, light hearted, whimsical." Its freaking annoying. Its not like Superman Returns was any fucking fun (it was as fun as watching someone light fire on my hair), light hearted (fucking Superman has a son and stalks Lois) or whimsical. God forbid they try to do something that hasn't been done before cinematically with Supes.

Almost at Spidey 3 levels!

untitleddqyt2.jpg

LOL.

And last tracking I read about puts it at $85-100m for the weekend. It would be nice if it wound up around $100m, which is what I thought it would do. And if word of mouth is good it will have decent legs unless Monsters University just crushes everything next week.

Sanjuro

I still don't see the appeal of RT. Judging and entire film based on the score, not the site's concept. I guess that is the video game crowd's mindset around here.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Why do people hold RT in such high regard?

Because it's a good aggregator of opinions?

The problem is that people interpret the scores incorrectly. 60% doesn't mean it's a 60 on the quality scale, just that 60% of people enjoyed it. For some reason some people don't understand this.

Sanjuro

The problem is that people interpret the scores incorrectly. 60% doesn't mean it's a 60 on the quality scale, just that 60% of people enjoyed it. For some reason some people don't understand this.

60% of film critics.

I'm fine with going in and seeing a average at best film. From the word of mouth I've been hearing, should be an enjoyable time at a summer blockbuster.

Dahbomb

I went to sleep and woke expecting the score to have passed Spider Man 3 level now. Instead it went in the opposite direction into rotten territory.

I know RT scores are not to be taken too seriously but this will definitely hamper the movies' long term performance. I really can't imagine this being a bigger train wreck than Spider Man 3.

Toa TAK

Banned

There we go.

I've never cared for RT, I've always been a word of mouth guy. Plus, my excitement is bulletproof at this point. I gotta see this!

Ahasverus

Did you honestly think a critic from rt would have opinions like little fanboys with man of steel avatars? Would you like to see what I really think?

Wow, I'm bad at this

I can only get your bitterness through every one of your posts, you want this movie to fail and you enjoy the fan dissapointment, the worst kind of person in this type of thread. FO.

If this movie gets Ghost Rider levels I'm just gonna jump off my window

ReiGun

More than anything, I wish the movie would just come out so we can stop talking about fucking Rotten Tomatoes scores. Even if the movie is as bad - cause apparently, this movie can only be fantastic or shit with no middle ground - as the score reflects, I'd much rather talk about the film itself than this merry-go-round arguing with reviewers about a movie most of us haven't seen, people taking the piss out of others who let themselves get excited for the film, and meltdowns from the harsh reality that maybe the movie isn't the second coming we built it up to be.

It's just fucking annoying.

I have tickets to Saturday with my GF

I have tomorrow off from work. (The Last of US)

I was thinking about going to a matinee by myself to secretly see it, and then watch it again on Saturday.

Wilbur

Banned
More than anything, I wish the movie would just come out so we can stop talking about fucking Rotten Tomatoes scores. Even if the movie is as bad - cause apparently, this movie can only be fantastic or shit with no middle ground - as the score reflects, I'd much rather talk about the film itself than this merry-go-round arguing with reviewers about a movie most of us haven't seen, people taking the piss out of others who let themselves get excited for the film, and meltdowns from the harsh reality that maybe the movie isn't the second coming we built it up to be.

It's just fucking annoying.

59 is almost exactly on the middle ground :lol

Divvy

I don't understand RT. These two reviewers gave it what are normally considered fresh reviews but for MoS they're rotten.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/critic/chris-vognar/
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/critic/joe-neumaier/

Seems like there's a heavy tilt to how RT interprets review scores. I can understand subjectivity when there's no score but this is strange for a site based on statistics.

Well reading them, both are overwhelming negative in their reviews. I have no idea why that first guy gave it a B- given what he wrote.

I don't understand RT. These two reviewers gave it what are normally considered fresh reviews but for MoS they're rotten.

Seems like there's a heavy tilt to how RT interprets review scores. I can understand subjectivity when there's no score but this is strange for a site based on statistics.

As far as I know, critics can tell RT if they want it considered rotten or fresh.

Matrix

I was mentioning that the other day. Some positives are being counted as negatives lol The site is just stupid and not worth the time to contact.

Jarmel

Banned
I really do hope the film itself is actually good.

I was mentioning that the other day. Some positives are being counted as negatives lol The site is just stupid and not worth the time to contact.

It's the critic's choice. This has usually been the case. There isn't some contradiction.

Divvy

You should actually read the reviews there, because they are very obviously negative

Top Bottom