• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Zabka

There are some films I'll see no matter what the score. Green Lantern was one of them. I wanted it to be good...in hindsight I'd of preferred the rumored Jack Black version.

I'm still excited to see MoS, but my expectations are in check. Which is good because the summer films have been pretty disappointing to me so far, with the exception of F&F6 which is a dumb, fun good time.
Have there been any articles written on what went on behind the scenes of Green Lantern? I'd like to know who's responsible for turning Parallax into a cloud.

Solo

Holy shit you know a thread is old when fucking Matlock posted in it :eek:

I found my review of Begins in there lol

I went into massive detail!

"Best superhero movie ever...f-ing amazing :D :D :D "

My equally verbose "review"

In my mind, the previous 4 debacles ceased to exist after I saw Begins. There is TAS and Begins, and nothing else.

EDIT: I'm 30, Fatboy.

I was in high school when batman begins came out, and just graduated before superman returns was out.

fun times. I enjoyed both, though I loved begins. was my favorite summer movie since spiderman 2

Dahbomb

I saw Batman Begins in theaters the first day it was out (it was on a Wednesday). It was an afternoon show though, theater was barely even half way packed. Everyone there loved the movie and the first half floored me.

It is very rare that I remember my first viewing with decent detail but I remembered Batman Begins. I wasn't an active member of the OT forum back then but I would've posted in it the main BB thread if I was.

I also remember that War of the Worlds was out around the same time. The movie was sold out so I bought a ticket for Batman Begins instead and then went into War of the Worlds with that ticket. Later in the same week I saw the movie again with a friend because I had convinced him it was godly. I think in the span of 2 weeks I saw Batman Begins 5 times in the theater but with different people each time.

I don't remember my showing when I went to see Superman Returns. I just remember there was some genuine hype in the theater for it and then after it there were a lot of "mehs". During the part where Superman is "dying" a little kid got worried but her mom told him "its ok he will come back, he's fine". That got a chuckle out of me.

war of the worlds. i remember not liking that film in theaters because i found dakota fanning to be annoying and didn't like the ending.

watching it again a few years later and i think it's a fantastic movie. dakota fanning acted perfectly normal for a girl in that type of situation. ending's still wack though.

Have there been any articles written on what went on behind the scenes of Green Lantern? I'd like to know who's responsible for turning Parallax into a cloud.

I remember this article being pretty spot on

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/green-lantern-5-lessons-hollywood-204697

The problem with Green Lantern was that no one involved had any investment, understanding or love for the character. The script was terrible, and the director had no passion or knowledge of the character.

Geoff Johns was brought on later in the production as a consultant, but all that did was add a bunch of the mythos to the movie, and likely add some of the darker elements that gave the film such a mismatched tone. "Too many cooks" as they say...

As far as Batman Begins, my friend was able to get my wife and I into a preview screening on the WB lot. I remember being so hyped for the movie, and that it lived up to it (for the most part). At the end of the film, my wife turned to me and said "Now I get why you like these comic book characters. That was awesome!"

Totakeke

One thing the movie really pulled off is powerful humanoid beings fighting each other. Maybe I've been watching the wrong movies, but god damn if I was not in awe at those fight scenes. It was like BAM WOOSH BAM BAM BAM (caps deserved) and I was wide eyed all the time.

Then when it switched to non-humanoid battles, I was like this sucks, gimme back that humanoid action.

Dahbomb

One thing the movie really pulled off is powerful humanoid beings fighting each other. Maybe I've been watching the wrong movies, but god damn if I was not in awe at those fight scenes. It was like BAM WOOSH BAM BAM BAM (caps deserved) and I was wide eyed all the time.

Then when it switched to non-humanoid battles, I was like this sucks, gimme back that humanoid action.
Yeah the last time we saw that was in the Matrix Revolutions. Very hard to pull off properly without the characters looking extremely CG.

Man of Steel is probably the closest thing we have to a true live action DBZ movie. Actually the movie seems to have more DBZ style action than DBZ does in 50 episodes.

mrkgoo

Did we just get spoiled?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Man I'm like 2 years older than you 5 year olds!

And here I thought I was the oldest for some reason. Man, there really is a bunch of us old farts in here :p

"My equally verbose "review""

haha at least you're correct with the little you wrote.

Cloudy

Banned
@GameOverGreggy: Saw Man of Steel last night. The more time that passes, the more I like it. Excited for 2nd viewing tonight. More "sci-fi" than "superhero."

Now I see why it could be divisive.

SimleuqiR

Shit man, I didn't want to know about BAM WHOOSH BAM BAM

But there is "no zows and pows" in this movie?

BAM WHOOSH BAM BAM sounds great to me.

Wouldn't mind some ZIPPITY ZAP ZOPPITY ZOOP though.

Bi.jpg

mrkgoo

It's strange that people use these scoring systems and don't have a clear See it / Don't see it cutoff point.
This is interesting.

Rotten tomatoes' binary rating suggests to me basically 50% under or over. Good or 'not' good.

However, to me, that doesn't suggest a see it/don't see it dichotomy. For me, that cut off is somewhere different. For example, I'd still see a 50% rated film (or otherwise average). I imagine that the point that makes someone not see a film is different for everyone, and maybe even different per film. Like some people only want to watch 70 or higher level films. Or are willing to give a pass for films they have a more profound interest in.

In that vein, I'm not sure a see it/don't see it split is that valuable.

inm8num2

Last summer I had a bunch of $3 Fandango codes I was able to use on two TDKR viewings (opening day IMAX, second day regular). Those were the days.

This is the day!!

Today I will see at last this beast!!

I can't hardly work or do anything, Im su pumped god damn!!

942843_10201472279911960_2082903291_n.jpg

Im already in the sun!!

awww your daughter is cute!

Holy shit I'm ranting in the thread about Begins reviews being compared to the Burton films like I am with MOS and Donner.
I haven't changed since 05 lol

never change Matrix.

probably the same guy that turned Galactus into a cloud.
soon to be 32 years old here by the way.
edit: ten hours and 1 minute until I join him the bus that saw what Clark did.

effzee

I'm still on the train!!!

Can't wait for the biggest screen in the country, the best sound system, the reserved seats (FINALLY1), and perfect 330pm afternoon show with friends and family to enjoy.

First movie of the summer I have been super excited for. YOLO

Aren't there usually no passes for new releases?

I might be wrong but you might want to check on that.

You have to pay an extra $1.50. It depends on the pass though. $6 basic pass means you have to pay. The $7 one gets you in to everything. My movie pass gets me into everything that isn't 3D. So since I don't care about 3D it works out.

I do, too, but we wanted to see it at Arclight.

Prestigious bastards.

I wish I was in LA for this but I am at my parents house for a few weeks.

Saw it. Thought it was great. Screw those reviews for making me worry. What I enjoyed most was how the movie took its time to tell its story, and even though I'm seeing mayhem and things blowing up on the big screen for the N-th time, it somehow felt fresh and didn't put me to sleep.

And I've never seen a Superman comic all my life, but I'd assume this is how he fights in them? :D

Last 15 minutes was 'Wow, that's different' :lol

Top Bottom