• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Saw it. Thought it was great. Screw those reviews for making me worry. What I enjoyed most was how the movie took its time to tell its story, and even though I'm seeing mayhem and things blowing up on the big screen for the N-th time, it somehow felt fresh and didn't put me to sleep.

And I've never seen a Superman comic all my life, but I'd assume this is how he fights in them? :D

Last 15 minutes was 'Wow, that's different' :lol

Is that in a good or bad way?

SimleuqiR

Saw it. Thought it was great. Screw those reviews for making me worry. What I enjoyed most was how the movie took its time to tell its story, and even though I'm seeing mayhem and things blowing up on the big screen for the N-th time, it somehow felt fresh and didn't put me to sleep.

And I've never seen a Superman comic all my life, but I'd assume this is how he fights in them? :D

Last 15 minutes was 'Wow, that's different' :lol

I expect this type of action out of a Superman movie with today's FX technology.

http://youtu.be/6BJ1-trrgqc?t=1m

Back in 1978 is was impossible. But today? I can't take any less.

Angry Fork

Fuck IMAX reserved seating, the only seats left now are basically all in the front rows which are unwatchable. I don't know why they made the theaters so tiny or how anyone can sit in the front row without having to turn their head left/right to see the whole screen.

Luckily found 1 seat in the back, going to see it Saturday afternoon. I'm counting on the script being terrible and Amy Adams being shitty as Lois but we'll see, at least the visuals and sound will be good which is what imax is for.

So gooood.

Well that's good to hear. Can't wait for tonight.

Fuck IMAX reserved seating, the only seats left now are basically all in the front rows which are unwatchable. I don't know why they made the theaters so tiny or how anyone can sit in the front row without having to turn their head left/right to see the whole screen.

Luckily found 1 seat in the back, going to see it Saturday afternoon. I'm counting on the script being terrible and Amy Adams being shitty as Lois but we'll see, at least the visuals and sound will be good which is what imax is for.

And the sound brother. Those Hanz Zimmer drums can't be heard in a better way.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

Ive heard nothing but positives about her as Lois. Nothing can be worse than Bosworth as Lois... nothing.

Solrac, don't worry. I'll never change when it comes to this argument.

Manohla Dargis at the New York Times reviews Man of Steel (really really mild spoilers)

http://t.co/iLarU0lAJB

Rachel Edidin's spoiler-filled review at Wired

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/06/man-of-steel-movie-review/

Erik Henriksen's review at Portland Mercury. (mild spoilers)

http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/stranger-in-a-strange-land/Content?oid=9640678

the New York Times review was well written while both outlining the good and the bad and grading the film on it's merits without resorting to flashback to the past. the wired article not only spoils the end(thanks by the way) but is written in a hissy fit about what their Superman is. 8 hours and 47 minutes.

Angry Fork

Ive heard nothing but positives about her as Lois. Nothing can be worse than Bosworth as Lois... nothing.

Solrac, don't worry. I'll never change when it comes to this argument.

I'm just hoping she's smart and spunky like the animated series Lois, she should be able to hold her own and be confident I don't want her to be a damsel in distress or used only as the romantic interest. Basically why Returns Lois was so awful, she didn't have the look/charisma either.

Raptor

Wrote up my thoughts as best I could

http://nerdsontherocks.com/man-steel-review-shooter

But to save time, I really dug the movie. And think it's worth checking out

Review 7 (out of 7)

Great review man, I think this is pretty much what I will think, those things you noticed that coudl end up not so great are things that I notice too in movies but at the same time don't bother me or break the movie.

Thank for the link, I shared it on Facebook, I hope you dont mind :p

9 Hours and 9 Minutes and counting!!

Well shit. I skip this thread duringhte chaos of finals and E3 and look at whats happening.

after tonight SuperGAF will see it and bring back balance that was sorely lacking. no more talk about reviews or reviews or reviews or cats in trees or smiling or Emo or Dour or no Superman Returns.

DMczaf

Rotten? Still don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Who is staying on this ship with me?

S8EjhD9.jpg

after tonight SuperGAF will see it and bring back balance that was sorely lacking. no more talk about reviews or reviews or reviews or cats in trees or smiling or Emo or Dour or no Superman Returns.
what if "supergaf" turns out as divided and blase on the film as critics? what happens then, he wondered aloud.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

S8EjhD9.jpg

I'm on this boat with you. This boat won't sink though. It will make a billion, and we'll get a sequel. Its already better than Superman Returns, just by the sheer fact that Superman isn't a goddam stalker here.

the New York Times review was well written while both outlining the good and the bad and grading the film on it's merits without resorting to flashback to the past. the wired article not only spoils the end(thanks by the way) but is written in a hissy fit about what their Superman is. 8 hours and 47 minutes.

I've complained about this before but films should be criticized for what is in the film not what isn't. If you don't like the plot cool, but if your complaining because there isn't a glowing piece of green rock there, you can fuck yourself raw. It happens with a lot of films though.

MisterHero

S8EjhD9.jpg
Superman really burns some people up.

Not only would Superman time travel to 1912, but he could SAVE the Titanic in several ways:

1) Destroying the iceberg
2) lifting it out of the water rather than it sinking
3) repairing the gash with his heat vision
4) substituting as an extra propeller
5) beat up J. Bruce Ismay until he admits the incident was his fault.

He'd be really nice about it too.

cdkee

Banned
I'll be in this ship till it goes down with you sir.

There's no way in hell that I will ever believe Thor can be more well received than MoS.

Damn.

G-Fex

I don't believe the negative vibes here

Lies are a part of their games

and it won't help them in this thread.

I have a couple of cards face down

I've read some full reviews, and have to say, I did read some concerning stuff. I also got spoiled on a few plot points and there's one in particular I dislike just as much as the reviewer who was complaining about it. Some weird omissions in the story as well.

I don't know how I missed it, but I had no idea Nolan was heavily involved with this movie until very recently. By that time I was already pretty hyped. And I hope I'm not going to end up regretting that he is involved. I really didn't like how the Batman series turned out.

I'm still looking forward to making my own mind up. And I know I am going to be wowed in terms of the visuals and the spectacle.

Wilbur

Banned
I do wonder though if the action is as relentless and all-encompassing of Superman's powers as it is, where they go from there.

I do wonder though if the action is as relentless and all-encompassing of Superman's powers as it is, where they go from there.

They'll go the TDK route as they already have. BB/MOS feature a villain who is cut from the same cloth as the hero; strong, dominant and in some ways a reflection of the hero. TDK's villain was a cerebral threat. Joker used psycological power plays to undo Batman. If they use Luther, they'll probably go that route.

Wilbur

Banned
what if it's the human reaper from mass effect?

Then it'll be the greatest film of the last decade

They'll go the TDK route as they already have. BB/MOS feature a villain who is cut from the same cloth as the hero; strong, dominant and in some ways a reflection of the hero. TDK's villain was a cerebral threat. Joker used psycological power plays to undo Batman. If they use Luther, they'll probably go that route.

The difference is that I don't think people were necessarily interested in Batman to see him fuck people up, whereas that's a large part of the mainstream appeal of MOS

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Of course I haven't seen it so I can't judge the movie like him, but
http://latino-review.com/2013/06/12/el-mayimbes-thoughts-man-steel/

"One word…

…WOW!

Twenty four hours later, I’m still digesting the hotness that was MAN OF STEEL.

Now, I’m not a critic, I’m a scoop guy so don’t expect a full blown critical analysis of the movie. There are lots of guys who critique movies way better than I do, but I figured I give you guys my thoughts since so many of you are asking me for them.

Today I saw a lot of straight up ridiculousness from other critics who were either expecting a sequel to Bryan Singer’s abomination or are still way too married to Donner’s classic first film. Some people just don’t get it.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Donner’s first Superman film, but come on dudes it ain’t scripture."

I only saw TDKR once (and once was enough, believe me), but didn't Alfred give up on him anyway in the end?

not......well sorta, but there was stilla nod and love at the end.

Judging by reviews and comments on the second half of the film, it seems the movie is IMAX worthy.

Whether it's sponge worthy is an entirely different matter...

*insert Cavill ripped abs pic*

i'd love to see him punch a giant robot in the fucking face.

I'd love to see him punch a super-hooker in the face on top of the Statue of Liberty.

CHOO CHOO MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

Top Bottom