• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

SimleuqiR

Of course I haven't seen it so I can't judge the movie like him, but
http://latino-review.com/2013/06/12/...hts-man-steel/

"One word…

…WOW!

Twenty four hours later, I’m still digesting the hotness that was MAN OF STEEL.

Now, I’m not a critic, I’m a scoop guy so don’t expect a full blown critical analysis of the movie. There are lots of guys who critique movies way better than I do, but I figured I give you guys my thoughts since so many of you are asking me for them.

Today I saw a lot of straight up ridiculousness from other critics who were either expecting a sequel to Bryan Singer’s abomination or are still way too married to Donner’s classic first film. Some people just don’t get it.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Donner’s first Superman film, but come on dudes it ain’t scripture."

Amen?

Today I saw a lot of straight up ridiculousness from other critics who were either expecting a sequel to Bryan Singer’s abomination or are still way too married to Donner’s classic first film. Some people just don’t get it.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Donner’s first Superman film, but come on dudes it ain’t scripture."

finally someone who understands.....
CHOO CHOO!!

Rotten? Still don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Who is staying on this ship with me?

S8EjhD9.jpg

jbyP1ioKGzQif9.PNG

Chaplain

IGN gave Man of Steel a 9:

THE VERDICT

Action-packed, briskly-paced and featuring a stellar cast, Man of Steel is the best Superman film since the 1978 original and proves DC can match Marvel in the massive scale department. While it could have used a bit more levity, Man of Steel is nevertheless director Zack Snyder's best film to date.

Just went to the end of the article. Didn't want to read any spoilers (in case any were there).

Spidey is stopping this train.

11.2_SP2_TrainDerp.jpg
if i can gush for a moment...

sitting in the theater and watching Spidey swing toward the train and catching peeps that doc ock tossed off the top is one of my top five movie going experiences. Loved it so hard.

I was tripping on acid at the time so it literally felt like i was watching a living comic book

DMczaf

http://latino-review.com/2013/06/12/el-mayimbes-thoughts-man-steel/

"One word…

…WOW!

Now, I’m not a critic, I’m a scoop guy so don’t expect a full blown critical analysis of the movie. There are lots of guys who critique movies way better than I do, but I figured I give you guys my thoughts since so many of you are asking me for them.

You will give the critics a Superman to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them realize it's 2013.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
http://latino-review.com/2013/06/12/el-mayimbes-thoughts-man-steel/

"One word…

…WOW!

That seems to be the theme in a lot of reviews I have seen. They seem to be overly critical since they were expecting a different type of Superman. I even saw one review complaining about the 'generic' title, Man of Steel. :/

I am still excited for this :)

ReiGun

I'm more inclined to listen to the reviews that complain about the script and pacing, especially since the former was my main concern. Also worried about these reports about the action being overdone.

I'll be keeping these in mind when I go see it Saturday.

is it even possible to make a good superman movie
I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Dahbomb

IGN reviews aren't really super reliable. There are plenty of other reviews that gush over the movie. In the end though it just appears to be a very divisive movie.

is it even possible to make a good superman movie

yeah. i bet you that pixar dude who made john carter would have made a really fun movie.

also keep your script away from david goyer.

anyways the justice league cartoons are fun and shit, that's really my only knowledge of superman but i like him in there. that and the all star comic book.

Mah son was in Egypt.

he saw what the Pyramids did!

I'm more inclined to listen to the reviews that complain about the script and pacing, especially since the former was my main concern. Also worried about these reports about the action being overdone.

I'll be keeping these in mind when I go see it Saturday.

no, go with a clean heart and clear mind, you'll enjoy the film more once you leave behind the taste of bitter bias behind.

IGN reviews aren't really super reliable. There are plenty of other reviews that gush over the movie. In the end though it just appears to be a very divisive movie.

only people that can't accept that Donner is not making this film anymore.

ReiGun

Watchmen > 300 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sucker Punch

Haven't see the others.

no, go with a clean heart and clear mind, you'll enjoy the film more once you leave behind the taste of bitter bias behind.

Nah, I actually like taking what reviews and buzz says with me into movies. Tempers expectations, and I like understanding the opinions of others.

It won't affect my enjoyment of the movie - assuming I enjoy it - and it's really just something I like to keep in mind.

I don't know if it's as "grimdark" as some reviews have made it out to be (it probably isn't) but i dunno if you could blame them for being jarred by such a change.

Even if you just put the Donner films aside, hasn't most Superman media been-for lack of a better term-"sunny"? Not talking about comics here, just other adaptations.

There was the old George Reeves show, Lois & Clark, even the DCU show. I've never watched smallville so I don't know what kind of tone it went for but there's seems to be a history of Superman adaptations where "dour" or "no fun" aren't words you'd associate with them.

Again, that assumes what some have said about the film are accurate.

Watchmen > 300 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sucker Punch

Haven't see the others.

Nah, I actually like taking what reviews and buzz says with me into movies. Tempers expectations, and I like understanding the opinions of others.

It won't affect my enjoyment of the movie - assuming I enjoy it - and it's really just something I like to keep in mind.

......... smh.

I don't know if it's as "grimdark" as some reviews have made it out to be (it probably isn't) but i dunno if you could blame them for being jarred by such a change.

Even if you just put the Donner films aside, hasn't most Superman media been-for lack of a better term-"sunny"? Not talking about comics here, just other adaptations.

There was the old George Reeves show, Lois & Clark, even the DCU show. I've never watched smallville so I don't know what kind of tone it went for but there's seems to be a history of Superman adaptations where "dour" or "no fun" aren't words you'd associate with them.

it's not about it being Grim N Gritty it's just that it seems Superman is not allowed introspection. there have been many stories touching on him feeling isolation and a sense of responsibility weighing down on him.

I think that's what this movie is going for. why should points be taken away from a movie for going in a different direction? it's not our fault some reviewers are too ignorant or close minded to think that there are other interpretations out there.

RealMeat

Banned
I saw this last night (won tickets to an early screening). For what it's worth, I thought it was excellent. I'm glad it had a different tone from the Avengers or the old Superman movies. Why do what's been done before? The fight scenes between the Kryptonians are very impressive. Very fast, with lots of collateral destruction.

You think Suckerpunch will be looked at differently 20 years from now? Like maybe a cult classic, that's played at midnight in Art house theaters?

You think Suckerpunch will be looked at differently 20 years from now? Like maybe a cult classic, that's played at midnight in Art house theaters?

Nope. Sucker Punch is a beautiful but hollow exercise in style. I didn't outright hate it, but at the end I was like "Eh. Alright." It is a shame there wasn't a strong enough narrative to hold the great visuals together.

I saw this last night (won tickets to an early screening). For what it's worth, I thought it was excellent. I'm glad it had a different tone from the Avengers or the old Superman movies. Why do what's been done before? The fight scenes between the Kryptonians are very impressive. Very fast, with lots of collateral destruction.
Sold.
Nope. Sucker Punch is a beautiful but hollow exercise in style. I didn't outright hate it, but at the end I was like "Eh. Alright." It is a shame there wasn't a strong enough narrative to hold the great visuals together.
I love Sucker Punch, but my biggest critique will always be that it has so much wasted potential.

ReiGun

I can understand where they're coming from. For better or worse, the Donner movies are what people think of when they think Superman. FatboyRoberts talked about it a bit on that podcast he was on (great listen by the way). I think for Superman fans, hearing those complaints can be tough because we really can't relate; the comics have done serious and "dark" Superman before. The character has grown beyond just being the sunny, goody good - make no mistake, he's still a really good guy - over the years. Even the DCAU Superman had more of an "edge" than the Donner version.

My issue with it is the complaint is that it reeks of judging the movie based on what you want it to be rather than what it is. If the film has pacing issues or weak performances, call it out. I'm not against there being any criticism at all. But saying it sucks cause "it's not like the movie I saw as a kid" isn't really fair.

In short, I'm sympathetic, but I really would rather people learn to divorce themselves from what they think Superman - or any character - should be and allow for other interpretations. In Superman's case in particular, I think we just need this one movie to get people over the hump and become more open to a different kind of Superman. The sequel, assuming there is one, will probably be better received. In this regard at least.

......... smh.
What wrong with that? Like I said, it does nothing to affect my enjoyment of the film, since my opinion trumps all.

There's nothing wrong with taking the opinions of others into account.

That scene where she is fighting that giant shogun samurai is amazing.

it's not about it being Grim N Gritty it's just that it seems Superman is not allowed introspection. there have been many stories touching on him feeling isolation and a sense of responsibility weighing down on him.

I think that's what this movie is going for. why should points be taken away from a movie for going in a different direction? it's not our fault some reviewers are too ignorant or close minded to think that there are other interpretations out there.
I guess i just draw the line at calling the ignorant and closed minded, that's all.

I can understand being thrown for a loop by a different kind of superman. We're not dealing with some johnny come lately but a cultural icon. I dont tthink there are hard and fast rules for reviewing beyond being honest about how you felt about the film. If it not feeling like a Superman you're used to ruins the film for you, then okay.

Penguin

I do wonder though if the action is as relentless and all-encompassing of Superman's powers as it is, where they go from there.

Honestly, I would go smaller. Odd thing to do.

But make it a more personal tale. Can still have him doing feats of heroics, but I don't think needs to be as vicious as this one

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

Is there kryptonite that gets you amped!?? CUZ I'M FUCKING AMPED.

cdkee

Banned
You will give the critics a Superman to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them realize it's 2013.

But...the underwear...and the telephone booths!

That scene where she is fighting that giant shogun samurai is amazing.

The movie should have been so much better. A cast of hot young actresses wearing fetish costumes as they fight giant mechs and steampunk bad guys? Where could it go wrong? Oh, right. The script. Or lack thereof.

And the samurai mech scene was awesome. And the hottest Emily Browning looked in the film too. Double win.

Sent

It went in that direction, but it didn't actually portray any of what you said. No one is taking points off for the direction, it just didn't come together to make a great movie. Period.

I can understand where they're coming from. For better or worse, the Donner movies are what people think of when they think Superman. FatboyRoberts talked about it a bit on that podcast he was on (great listen by the way). I think for Superman fans, hearing those complaints can be tough because we really can't relate; the comics have done serious and "dark" Superman before. The character has grown beyond just being the sunny, goody good - make no mistake, he's still a really good guy - over the years. Even the DCAU Superman had more of an "edge" than the Donner version.

My issue with it is the complaint is that it reeks of judging the movie based on what you want it to be rather than what it is. If the film has pacing issues or weak performances, call it out. I'm not against there being any criticism at all. But saying it sucks cause "it's not like the movie I saw as a kid" isn't really fair.

In short, I'm sympathetic, but I really would rather people learn to divorce themselves from what they think Superman - or any character - should be and allow for other interpretations. In Superman's case in particular, I think we just need this one movie to get people over the hump and become more open to a different kind of Superman. The sequel, assuming there is one, will probably be better received. In this regard at least.
Great post, you've given me some food for thought here.

It went in that direction, but it didn't actually portray any of what you said. No one is taking points off for the direction, it just didn't come together to make a great movie. Period.

oh yes they are, I've read two reviews prefacing their article by saying how they enjoyed Donner Superman.

Watched it today (it premiered in Dubai)

It's a really good action movie, I enjoyed it and didn't feel it was long and boring (and stupid) like Iron Man 3.
Except for
the obvious product placement in the first half
I liked what I saw and wasn't disappointed.
No action movies fan would rate this lower than Iron Man 3..fuck you critics. It should make what IM3 made at the box office.

8/10

Solo

After all of this talk about RT and comic book movies, I just endeavored (read: wasted half an hour) pouring through the site and compiling a list of comic book movies and their ratings on RT. Enjoy!

• 94% - American Splendor, The Dark Knight
  • 93% - Superman, Spider-Man 2, Iron Man
  • 92% - Ghost World, The Avengers

• 89% - Superman II, Spider-Man
  • 88% - X-Men: First Class
  • 87% - X2: X-Men United, A History Of Violence, HellBoy II: The Golden Army, The Dark Knight Rises
  • 85% - Batman Begins
  • 82% - The Crow, Road To Perdition
  • 81% - Batman Returns, Oldboy, Hellboy, Scott Pilgrim Vs The World

• 79% - Captain America
  • 78% - Sin City, Dredd, Iron Man 3
  • 77% - Thor
  • 76% - Kick-Ass
  • 75% - Superman Returns
  • 73% - The Amazing Spider-Man, V For Vendetta, Iron Man 2
  • 71% - Wanted
  • 70% - Batman

• 67% - The Incredible Hulk
  • 64% - Watchmen
  • 63% - Spider-Man 3
  • 62% - Hulk
  • 61% - The Rocketeer
  • 60% - 300

• 59% - Blade II
  • 58% - Man Of Steel
  • 57% - From, Hell, X-Men: The Last Stand
  • 55% - Blade

• 45% - Daredevil
  • 44% - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie
  • 41% - Batman Forever

• 38% - X-Men Origins: Wolverine
  • 37% - Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer
  • 36% - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II - The Secret Of The Ooze

• 29% - The Punisher (2004)
  • 27% - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III, Punisher: War Zone
  • 26% - Superman III, Blade Trinity, Fanastic Four, Ghost Rider, Green Lantern
  • 24% - The Punisher (1989)

• 18% - Judge Dredd
  • 17% - Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance
  • 14% - The Spirit
  • 12% - Batman & Robin
  • 10% - Elektra

• 9% - Catwoman

MisterHero

^^^
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 needs to be in the 110% category. Reviewers don't know anything!

These are basics in storytelling. People see live action movies to see the actors perform. Having CG duplicates demolishing CG buildings doesn't affect viewers the same way as the actors doing something funny, poignant, or romantic. Technology allows directors to reflect concept art/storyboards 100% accurately, removing the need for actors/cinematography/editing to sell whatever's going on.

In fact I feel like most superhero movies fall apart when they reach the good guy vs. bad guy act. The fights are cool, but they've become meaningless most of the time.

Scenes like Peter Parker admitting to Aunt May that he's responsible for Uncle Ben's death are more significant/heroic than any fight scene.

Genre aside, they can all be disassembled on how they're executed as stories.

Top Bottom