• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Still another 2 or maybe 3 days til I see it :_(

You know you won't be joining him in the sun. I have a feeling you will even say Returns is better.

If you love or hell even like this movie I'll sport a Green Lantern movie avatar for a year, but you have to be honest lol

Blader

Just saw it.....

t5yATP4.jpg

Would you say it's this generation's Batman & Robin?

Solo

You know you won't be joining him in the sun. I have a feeling you will even say Returns is better.

If you love or hell even like this movie I'll sport a Green Lantern movie avatar for a year, but you have to be honest lol

I'm always around honest!

I'm amazed just by how hot or cold people seem to be on this. "First half is best part", " first half is terrible", "action is incredible", "action is boring", etc. Wonder how I'll feel after I see it tonight!

from what I've heard (from friends), the movie is spectacular but with many problems. It's like watchmen and 300, bad with critics and good with audience.
Superman is popular in India! i was unable to book tickets for 1st day :(

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
from what I've heard (from friends), the movie is spectacular but with many problems. It's like watchmen and 300, bad with critics and good with audience.
I think Watchmen and 300 are much more publicly digestible films than this one.

This movie just goes so unabashedly hard with the sci-fi.

Part of it is the script in that they just take highlights out of his life, and it feels like a 'Greatest Hits' edition at a certain point, instead of fleshing his character out and letting it breathe before they decide to go crazy with the action. I also think part of it is due to the direction in that the way Snyder decided to 'edit' the film makes it feel very interrupted and abrupt, primarily in the first half. Going for a more conventional form might have made for a slower middle part but I think it would have done a better job establishing the character and made the audience feel for Clark before, again, going insane with the action.

Exactly! The editing in the first third is choppy and doesn't allow much tension to build. So while I'm watching these important and, at times, beautiful scenes, overall they feel pretty vapid.

Take the first school scene.
Clark discovering his powers was well done, but I feel like editing butchered his talk with his mom when he was in the closet. The "make it small" and "my voice is an island" lines were edited so much better in the trailer;
in the final film, it's just a matter of fact conversation, with no drama.

I feel like I should walk in expecting a crappy film.

You shouldn't. Like I said, I actually liked it and enjoyed myself. Solid 7/10, which is not a bad thing, in my eyes.

sounds awesome.

I actually really loved the sci-fi elements; it made the universe and the whole "alien" concept much more palpable. I can see how some would say it goes overboard, though.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I'm not saying going hard on the sci-fi is bad, just saying that the standard audience going in to see a popcorn superhero movie are probably not prepared for all that.

Reading that sentence in my head doesn't make any sense...but it makes sense.

The
Smallville fight
was the best part of the movie. The ending/last fight(s) were exciting, but not as well put together as that one. Unfortunately, I got a serious rubber Neo vibe from some of the CGI in the final showdown :(

Anyone else roll their eyes at Lois Lane being a "tough" reporter? Particularly her entrance, which went something like:

Stabler: "Ms. Lane, welcome. Be careful, it can be tough out here."
Lois: "Stop measuring your dicks."

...wha?

I have a lot of hope for the sequel, though I hope they add some color to the grade. There were some oddly ugly green/blue casts during some scenes.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I can't read your spoiler about Lois since I haven't seen it, but she is a "tough" reporter.

I can't read your spoiler about Lois since I haven't seen it, but she is a "tough" reporter.

Sorry, I'll clarify: the ways they tried to portray her as tough felt really artificial.

Also,
"They say everything is downhill after the first kiss."
What? Did I miss this saying? Never heard of this in my life.

Shannon didn't disappoint as Zod, even if the script may have let him down. No one does crazy angry like him.

Jarmel

Banned
Sorry, I'll clarify: the ways they tried to portray her as tough felt really artificial.

Also,

Shannon didn't disappoint as Zod, even if the script may have let him down. No one does crazy angry like him.

Please don't remind me of that fucking line. Was just as bad as anything in ASM and the entire theater I was in laughed their heads off at it. Oh god.
The timing was completely inappropriate too.

Will watch next week when it opens in Germany (2D and OV of course) and am pretty sure I'll turn into the MoS Thread version of Bangladesh in the TDKR Thread.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Does this movie have an after credits scene? No need to tell me what it is if there is one. I'd just like to know if I should bother sticking around for the credits when I see it.

DaveH

Please don't remind me of that fucking line. Was just as bad as anything in ASM and the entire theater I was in laughed their heads off at it. Oh god.
The timing was completely inappropriate too.
Re: the lines.
I thought the lines were necessary... otherwise, the interpretation is "Oh, these two are deeply in love." which wouldn't make sense at that point... the lines conveyed that it was basically lust.

Verendus

Banned

Also,

My brethren have arrived. The whole Clark/Lois relationship is crap.

TheRancor

Also,

Arrgh, that line and it's follow up. I really rolled my eyes at that.

Jarmel

Banned
Re: the lines.
I thought the lines were necessary... otherwise, the interpretation is "Oh, these two are deeply in love." which wouldn't make sense at that point... the lines conveyed that it was basically lust.

Surely there must have been better ways of conveying that other than that line and the timing is so damn inappropriate.

My brethren have arrived. The whole Clark/Lois relationship is crap.

I think it's because Lois as a character feels so forced into the drama and is just there. Adams has little chemistry with Cavill too so that doesn't help. She really isn't a good or even interesting character by herself. I also think the fact that they don't flesh out Clark's normal side hurt the relationship. However in general, yea the relationship is pretty bad.

dorkimoe

I really enjoyed it, but the major thing that bothered me is that he took no damage during all of those fights. Like, how does he not at least get scraped? C'mon.

Correct me if i"m wrong but hes superman. Isn't he invicible? Like literally? I only know from what I have seen on TV shows

I liked Man of Steel. I feel like they did more to make the character interesting than pretty much any other Superman story and that's coming from someone who has dabbled in comics over the years. The scene that's going to be controversial where
Supes snaps Zodd's neck was the single best thing I've ever seen Superman do
. It makes the character something other than generic and indestructible. Finally. One thing I will say is that the fight scenes were kind of repetitive. Every single fight scene it was just
Superman and someone else punching or throwing each other into things that break and crumble.
They need to find a way to switch it up and add some depth in the sequel.

I liked Man of Steel. I feel like they did more to make the character interesting than pretty much any other Superman story and that's coming from someone who has dabbled in comics over the years. The scene that's going to be controversial where
Supes snaps Zodd's neck was the single best thing I've ever seen Superman do
. It makes the character something other than generic and indestructible. Finally. One thing I will say is that the fight scenes were kind of repetitive. Every single fight scene it was just
Superman and someone else punching or throwing each other into things that break and crumble.
They need to find a way to switch it up and add some depth in the sequel.

How did Jor-el learn
kung-fu
? I'd start from there..... >.>

AkuMifune

Banned
$21 million last night from wal mart tickets and midnights!

I have no idea what this means, but I'm going to take it as a good sign.

I need some good signs today, I want to love this so bad. Seems like the dark sci-fi tale I've always wanted out of this character and yet everyone is so quick to judge it as not superman.

FWIW, this movie shits on The Amazing Spider-Man, IMO. Have no idea how that is better rated.

The Amazing Spiderman was pretty bad. Please do not put this move into that category.

Also, the critics who didn't like the movie claim it's missing...joy. I liked that the original Superman movies were light-hearted at times but they went way over the top with the first few and got cheesy. Between Nolan and Snyder I don't know why they expected this to be a giggle-fest.

I was so disappointed. This was my most anticipated movie of the year and it let me down so badly. Feeling so bummed out now.

+The Clark Kent parts were FANTASTIC.
+Faora was superb.
+Music was beyond outstanding. Zimmer is the real superman.

-Last half of the movie was just mindless action like Transformers. Kills me to write that.
-Michael Shannon was my number one reason to see this movie. I LOVE him. He was AWFUL in the movie. Just yelling every line terribly. Can't blame him though he tried his best.
-Movie never felt like it had time to breathe. Just kept moving from EXPLOSIONS TO EXPLOSIONS.
- Completely humorless. The Dark Knight movies even had humor. You HAVE to have a little bit of light to balance out the darkness and EXPLOSIONS.
-I liked the music but it was constantly playing. NON STOP.

I am easy to please. I liked Iron Man 3, Star Trek 2, FF6 and they all felt like they were worth the money. With this movie I felt like I should have waited for matinee prices.

Mega bummed out.

Giorgio Tsoukalis has reviewed the film.

Every once in a while when the lights go dark at the theater a movie comes along that surpasses any and ALL expectations... MAN OF STEEL (2013) is one of them... As I watched each and every majestic frame unfold on the screen I had the biggest grin on my face for the entire glorious two and a half hours...

Frankly, I haven't a clue what I saw tonight. I don't know what to tell you. It was information-overload. My head went supernova bursting into an incandescent cloud of indigo gas... That's why I will see this movie again (and probably again) in the next 24 hours. This movie has easily moved into my Top 10 of ALL time.

It is good to see that despite the current Hollywood madness of "rebooting" everything over and over again, THIS time they got it right. And beyond... NO ridiculous nonsense of "reinventing" Superman by turning him into a "dark" character but maintaining what Superman is and always has been: an innocent, well-meaning beacon of hope for all of humanity. A pillar of unbridled strength and book-smart intelligence.

Hans Zimmer's score made my heart and spirit soar to unprecedented heights... On a side-note, I actually received the score a few days before the movie's release and without seeing the pictures I simply "didn't get it"... in fact, I thought the score was mediocre at best. My mind's been changed completely... The score makes sense to me now and as a movie score aficionado I must concede unwaveringly that this is one of the most inspiring scores ever composed...

The movie's action is non-stop, the story compelling and uplifting and the Ancient Aliens references will make you smile multiple times. I must admit that until now I wasn't a fan of Zack Snyder mainly because of WATCHMEN (2009) with its misdirected and unnecessarily graphic violence against women and humanity in general. However, he has gained a fan in me for this movie. Thanks, Zach! You and your team (Chris Nolan) have resurrected Superman. And he kicks ASS.

Henry Cavill IS Superman. I KNOW Christopher Reeve is smiling down at him and this development. The Man of Steel HAS arrived.

PS: Good to know that Superman has crooked teeth... like me. ;)

tumblr_lsmbypSLct1qb394b.jpg

bryanee

I shit you fucking not I was sitting in the cinema and the trailers had just finished when my phone rang (on silent), my sister had only gone into labour so I had leave to look after my 3 year old niece. Got a refund and tickets booked for Monday...lol my sister gave birth a little while ago.

Raiden

Banned
Seems like alot of the people who dont like Man of Steel did not like 300 and Watchmen. Which are easily my two favourite action flicks from the last 10 or so years.

I have a feeling i'll love Man of Steel.

I shit you fucking not I was sitting in the cinema and the trailers had just finished when my phone rang (on silent), my sister had only gone into labour so I had leave to look after my 3 year old niece. Got a refund and tickets booked for Monday...lol my sister gave birth a little while ago.

And thats why you turn off your phone completely when you're in the theatre :p

Name him Kal or Clark. Even if it's a girl.

Dooooooooo it.

AkuMifune

Banned
We need some kind of exit poll to know where our expectations should lie.

• Did you like it?
  • Did you like Watchmen?
  • Do you like Batman Begins?
  • Did you like Ang Lee's Hulk?
  • Were you upset supes did not save any cats?
  • Do you feel humans are expendable in a giant battle, yes or no?
  • Iron Man 2 is the worst thing ever, right?
People making Batman Begins comparisons but this feels like Ang Lee Hulk all over again.

Love that movie, hate that most people consider it a failed reboot.

EDIT: It's up to 59%. We can get this thing fresh again!

I actually hated those bits. Really poorly edited.

I wasn't a fan of the camera "style" overall. There were a lot of beautiful shots/compositions, but they either cut quickly or kept doing that zoom shit.

Way too much handheld/shakycam for my liking, too.

EDIT:

We need some kind of exit poll to know where our expectations should lie.

• Did you like it?
  • Did you like Watchmen?
  • Do you like Batman Begins?
  • Did you like Ang Lee's Hulk?
  • Were you upset supes did not save any cats?
  • Do you feel humans are expendable in a giant battle, yes or no?
  • Iron Man 2 is the worst thing ever, right?
People making Batman Begins comparisons but this feels like Ang Lee Hulk all over again.

Love that movie, hate that most people consider it a failed reboot.

EDIT: It's up to 59%. We can get this thing fresh again!

1. Yes
2. Eh, it was okay. Feel like it completely missed the point of the comics on a few levels
3. Yes, one of the best superhero movies of all time, IMO, despite its flaws
4. I need to revisit it. I thought The Incredible Hulk was mediocre, though
5. Hahaha, actually, that reminds me of something I hated/didn't understand.
Why, exactly, did Jonathan Kent send his superboy son to walk his wife to the overpass, which was 20 yards away? Clark can literally go and pick up the car with the dog. I get that its a life and death situation and he's trying to hide his abilities, but there were maybe 20-30 random people there, AND ITS YOUR DAD'S LIFE.
6. Well, it depends, but Supes being involved in so much wanton destruction was a little strange
7. I'd say it's worse than Man of Steel, yeah.

Jarmel

Banned
I wasn't a fan of the camera "style" overall. There were a lot of beautiful shots/compositions, but they either cut quickly or kept doing that zoom shit.

Way too much handheld/shakycam for my liking, too.

The early bits felt like Nolan, which threw me off. It felt like the complaints I always hear about Nolan except taken to a worse degree. Thankfully the movie does get better but yea the shakycam shit is my bane.

Top Bottom