• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

We need some kind of exit poll to know where our expectations should lie.

• Did you like it? Nope
  • Did you like Watchmen? Yup
  • Do you like Batman Begins?Yup
  • Did you like Ang Lee's Hulk? Nope
  • Were you upset supes did not save any cats?Nope
  • Do you feel humans are expendable in a giant battle, yes or no? Nope
  • Iron Man 2 is the worst thing ever, right?Yup
People making Batman Begins comparisons but this feels like Ang Lee Hulk all over again.

Love that movie, hate that most people consider it a failed reboot.

EDIT: It's up to 59%. We can get this thing fresh again!

Did it for your amusement. :)

GamerXXX

Banned
NORTH AMERICA: 'Man of Steel' Off To Incredible Start With More Than $20 Million (4th Update)

better than IM3 so far... but i don't think it will do more than 100mm, given the loss of steam this week and RT score... who knows though!

Toa TAK

Banned
I have a greater sense of appreciation for Ang Lee's Hulk watching it now. Not what it first came out, but I don't dislike it anymore.

The Incredible Hulk is the one I don't care for.

Gawge

Just been to see it.

It felt a bit of a mess, but there was a good film hiding away in there. I haven't read any other reviews yet, but here are my thoughts:

Firstly, the whole first 15 minutes on Krypton seemed unnecessary and not particularly entertaining. The scene was set well enough later on, with the 'ghost' of Russell Crowe - so if they are going to do the whole thing on Krypton, as least make it an awesome set-piece, it really wasn't very awesome.

Then the mix between 'modern day' and childhood flashbacks didn't work for me. Generally transitions in this film felt quick and clunky (e.g. after defeating Zod to the little humour bit). I think that so much more could have been made of the childhood and developing of powers than a handful of flashbacks which didn't really offer anything too exciting. Then when he 'learns' fly, he just jumps twice and then can fly around the world? Massive waste.

That being said, the relationship between Kevin Costner and young Clarke was pretty good. There was some pretty good scenes in there, but again, would have preferred a little longer and largely in chronological order.

I think the best part of the film was from "You are not alone" to defeating Zod (excluding the kiss). That worked much better, and apart from some of the action being way too over-the-top to the point where you couldn't see what was happening, it was pretty enjoyable. The kiss seemed weird and vomit-inducing.

I want somebody to piece together a great movie from that. Because I think it could work, the storyline was pretty good overall, just not well put together.

inm8num2

Take that, Bling Ring! You may have the fresh tomato but we have the box office!

(In case it's not obvious my Bling Ring posts are in jest and meant to be satirical. If they're getting old just say so and I'll cease and desist.)

Verendus

Banned
Had no idea TDKR opened that big.
Yeah, I'm a little surprised too.

Wasn't there the shooting in the US where some idiot shot at lots of people when watching TDKR? I thought that would have affected the gross a lot. When did that happen exactly because I remember it being quite early on?

Jamesways

I think I have really odd taste for super hero movies compared to people here.
I enjoyed Watchman, didn't care for Hulk, hated Captian America, loved Thor, actually really liked Iron Man 2, really disliked Iron Man 3, and thought Avengers was fairly decent. Loved BB and TDK.

I agree with somewhat and understand some of people's issues with this film, but overall I absolutely loved it and can't wait to see it again.

Aside from a few of the incredible action scenes, what I enjoyed the most were the way the flashbacks were filmed. The kind of short shots of things on the farm, the laundry blowing in the wind, the swing, etc. I thought the cinematography for those were fantastic. And the music that accompanied those was great.
To me, they worked really well to give some backstory of his struggle being different.

I loved Kevin Costner in this. As I said a few pages back, it was awesome to see Superman punch dudes in the face on the big screen finally, but the more I think about it, the more I appreciated those flashback scenes.

I really have to go back and watch the Donner films again. And Returns. Maybe I won't find Returns so shitty after time has passed.

Gawge

It's better than the Avengers and Iron Man etc... but that isn't saying much for me. Doesn't touch Batman Begins for me. Though, there is something really good in the film, and there was nothing wrong with Cavill - a second film could do really well (hopefully out of Snyders hands).

Yeah, I'm a little surprised too.

Wasn't there the shooting in the US where some idiot shot at lots of people when watching TDKR? I thought that would have affected the gross a lot. When did that happen exactly because I remember it being quite early on?

People wouldn't have known about it until after tickets were purchased for midnight showings, since it happened in Colorado.

Toa TAK

Banned
I loved Kevin Costner in this. As I said a few pages back, it was awesome to see Superman punch dudes in the face on the big screen finally, but the more I think about it, the more I appreciated those flashback scenes.

They provide the human element in the story, right?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Gonna see it in a couple hours. :D

DAT HOT TOYS figure :eek:

Comes out first quarter of 2014 if it doesn't have any delays. Damn teases could have at least started pre-orders.

I need that figure next to my Reeve one.

Jamesways

They provide the human element in the story, right?

I don't know, I don't get the complaint that there wasn't enough backstory or human element. I thought those scenes were great, they sure as hell got me emotionally involved in his history and struggle. Loved the action, but those were plenty powerful for me. *shrug*

Probably my favorite comic movie. I really hope they make a great sequel, but like people said, it'll be tought to one up the action in this.

And no shit, that music! Wow. The music with the sweeping camera shots was just amazing at times.

Toa TAK

Banned
Music is just amazing on its own. Can't wait to see the movie to see how it's used.
I don't know, I don't get the complaint that there wasn't enough backstory or human element. I thought those scenes were great, they sure as hell got me emotionally involved in his history and struggle. Loved the action, but those were plenty powerful for me. *shrug*

Probably my favorite comic movie. I really hope they make a great sequel, but like people said, it'll be tought to one up the action in this.

That's good to hear, the human element of this movie is why I'm even interested (not a Superman fan).

@Gawge: Glad to hear Costner was good, but didn't quote in fear of teh spoilzer.

Raptor

When I saw Returns I felt embarrased of what I witnessed, my beloved Superman in one of the worse movies I have ever seen, it was boring, bad acted, didn't felt serious at all, I didn't felt nothing about what Superman is suposed to be.

SINGER, I NEED MY ACTION!!!

I saw MoS last night with my nephew and some friends, the theater was packed and all the showings were packed too, there was this aura of pure nerdness all around, all the people wearing thier Shield proud, thier hats, grown people wearing Shields all around....

SINGER I NEED THAT ACTION!!!

....it was something very awesome seeing all those people sharing the love for the greatest superhero that has ever existed.

I FUCKING LOOOOOOOOOVE THIS MOVIE SO MUCHHH!!!!

The movie starts right away in Krypton, I will not spoiler anything but let's just say that Crowe Jor-El is something incredible, he acted the shit out of the role, you could tell he was having fun and he was commited to the character, everything about how Kal-El came to earth is explained in a pure badass fashion that I honestly shed a tear of how incredible everything looked and how Epic all was, from that advanced civilization to why its all happening, fans will love this a lot like I did.

I NEED MY ACTION!!!

This is basically Begins but this time with a incredible second half, Snyder did this way of telling the story that it doesn't bores you, you watch something about Clark youth, his conflict, what it means to him to be not human but a Alien from an advanced civilization long lost, Costner brings the feels big time, everytime he is on screen saying things and you know that his teachings will resonate with Supes at the long rung you can't help but be moved by all whats happening to Clark, Costner did an incredible job.

All the cast was amazing, spot on, Faora will be a cult favorite, she is badass as vicious, powerfull Kryptonian that doesn't have any sense of honor nor nothing, just all straight badass evil, I loved her character as the way Antje delivered all her lines.

The pace of the movie is relentless, we are moving with Supes at a fast speed that if you go to take a piss you might miss some sequence or some flashback, not a bad thing for me but for some it may be tiresome, it doesn't let you go at all, in terms of Superhero movies and the way this is directed I say the movie for comparison here is Begins straight up, it has the same type of origin story but a little more faster.

Now onto Supes and Zod, Cavill IS Superman, he owned the role, he is great, his acting was spot on, you could feel what he was feeling, you can relate to him, sure Chris Reeves was Superman for another times, Cavill is Superman for this times and the Superman we deserve, he takes himself seriously, Shannon just was incredible, but we knew he is a great actor so that was not surprising for me, he made a General Zod that you can almost, almost understand why he is doing what he is doing, not that you can agree with him but not at all something just evil one dimensional being, both of this actors were great.

The end of this movie is the sequence that from now on every action sequence will be measured with, at last we get to see a Superman all powerfull using his powers to defeat his enemies, we get to see what 2 powerfull characters can do when they fight, the destruction is off the charts, the Punches......

I NEED MY PUNCHES!!

Fights in this is something we have never seen ever, is something so incredible that I literally said "what the fuck is this" in disbelief.

I will give this movie a 8/10 I loved it so much but as with any movie is not perfect, it has some pacing issues, and maybe some editing issues too, the story is just there for us to get a grasp of everything in an "origin" movie, basically the story on the grand scale serves as an introduction to Superman, great thing for me but maybe not for some, I can't wait what Snyder will do with the sequel, it will be mindblowing even more than this thats for sure, this movie said to those wanting Donner, or whatever the hell they wanted:

IM THE MAN UP IN THIS PIECE......RETURNS AND DONNER'S MOVIES AIN'T GOT SHIT ON ME!!!

And I was like:

HxNQY3M.jpg

This Superman is not only the superhero movie we deserve, is also the superhero movie we need right now!!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I need to see this movie so badly, good or bad.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
When I saw Returns I felt embarrased of what I witnessed, my beloved Superman in one of the worse movies I have ever seen, it was boring, bad acted, didn't felt serious at all, I didn't felt nothing about what Superman is suposed to be.

SINGER, I NEED MY ACTION!!!

I saw MoS last night with my nephew and some friends, the theater was packed and all the showings were packed too, there was this aura of pure nerdness all around, all the people wearing thier Shield proud, thier hats, grown people wearing Shields all around....

SINGER I NEED THAT ACTION!!!

....it was something very awesome seeing all those people sharing the love for the greatest superhero that has ever existed.

I FUCKING LOOOOOOOOOVE THIS MOVIE SO MUCHHH!!!!

The movie starts right away in Krypton, I will not spoiler anything but let's just say that Crowe Jor-El is something incredible, he acted the shit out of the role, you could tell he was having fun and he was commited to the character, everything about how Kal-El came to earth is explained in a pure badass fashion that I honestly shed a tear of how incredible everything looked and how Epic all was, from that advanced civilization to why its all happening, fans will love this a lot like I did.

I NEED MY ACTION!!!

This is basically Begins but this time with a incredible second half, Snyder did this way of telling the story that it doesn't bores you, you watch something about Clark youth, his conflict, what it means to him to be not human but a Alien from an advanced civilization long lost, Costner brings the feels big time, everytime he is on screen saying things and you know that his teachings will resonate with Supes at the long rung you can't help but be moved by all whats happening to Clark, Costner did an incredible job.

All the cast was amazing, spot on, Faora will be a cult favorite, she is badass as vicious, powerfull Kryptonian that doesn't have any sense of honor nor nothing, just all straight badass evil, I loved her character as the way Antje delivered all her lines.

The pace of the movie is relentless, we are moving with Supes at a fast speed that if you go to take a piss you might miss some sequence or some flashback, not a bad thing for me but for some it may be tiresome, it doesn't let you go at all, in terms of Superhero movies and the way this is directed I say the movie for comparison here is Begins straight up, it has the same type of origin story but a little more faster.

Now onto Supes and Zod, Cavill IS Superman, he owned the role, he is great, his acting was spot on, you could feel what he was feeling, you can relate to him, sure Chris Reeves was Superman for another times, Cavill is Superman for this times and the Superman we deserve, he takes himself seriously, Shannon just was incredible, but we knew he is a great actor so that was not surprising for me, he made a General Zod that you can almost, almost understand why he is doing what he is doing, not that you can agree with him but not at all something just evil one dimensional being, both of this actors were great.

The end of this movie is the sequence that from now on every action sequence will be measured with, at last we get to see a Superman all powerfull using his powers to defeat his enemies, we get to see what 2 powerfull characters can do when they fight, the destruction is off the charts, the Punches......

I NEED MY PUNCHES!!

Fights in this is something we have never seen ever, is something so incredible that I literally said "what the fuck is this" in disbelief.

I will give this movie a 8/10 I loved it so much but as with any movie is not perfect, it has some pacing issues, and maybe some editing issues too, the story is just there for us to get a grasp of everything in an "origin" movie, basically the story on the grand scale serves as an introduction to Superman, great thing for me but maybe not for some, I can't wait what Snyder will do with the sequel, it will be mindblowing even more than this thats for sure, this movie said to those wanting Donner, or whatever the hell they wanted:

IM THE MAN UP IN THIS PIECE......RETURNS AND DONNER'S MOVIES AIN'T GOT SHIT ON ME!!!

And I was like:

HxNQY3M.jpg

This Superman is not only the superhero movie we deserve, is also the superhero movie we need right now!!

Kajiba said:
Fuck it, I'm just going to say it.

That was the best Superman Movie. I got chills looking at it. That music!!!

AAWWWWWW SHIT! HYPE TRAIN EXPRESSSSSSSSS

Gawge

Personally, I don't think it is as good as any of the Batman (Nolan) films, but I really like the Batman films.

From halfway to almost the end, it is a really good film with pretty awesome action. If the first half was tweaked more to my tastes, then it really would be up there. As it stands, it falls a bit off the Batman films - just still way better than any Marvel stuff.

Toa TAK

Banned
Personally, I don't think it is as good as any of the Batman (Nolan) films, but I really like the Batman films.

From halfway to almost the end, it is a really good film with pretty awesome action. If the first half was tweaked more to my tastes, then it really would be up there. As it stands, it falls a bit off the Batman films - just still way better than any Marvel stuff.

Even The Avengers/Iron Man/Iron Man 3?

Jamesways

Man, I can't wait to see this again! I thought the 3Dd was pretty damn good too. It wasn't the best, but it did add quite a bit. Was this post-conversion or filmed in 3D? I saw it with two friends who hadn't seen a 3D movie in about 6 years. They loved it.

...and now is the fun time where after I enjoy the hell out of a movie, I go read both the spoiler thread and the OT one to see exactly why it's the worst movie every made and all the bullet points about why no one should ever enjoy it.

Gotta love Gaf.

But is it better than Rises?

I think it shares a lot of its flaws (too many characters, thinly developed characters, bad dialogue, some "what the?" script moments), but it's not as plodding as TDKR. However, I think it lacks ambition as far as themes/motifs go, which was already pretty low in TDKR. MoS is basically "Who am I? Oh, I'm a person who does good things to people, because that's who people say I am/need to be."

I haven't revisited TDKR in a while, but I'd give MoS an edge due to overall entertainment value.

EDIT: You know, I'm not sure now...TDKR was pretty clumsy and I think it had a lot more gaps in logic. Need to rewatch. I don't think it's near Batman Begins or TDK, though.

Gawge

Even The Avengers/Iron Man/Iron Man 3?

Yeah, Iron Man 3 shouldn't be in that list (I actually only saw it on Tuesday).

Even though the human element and background of the story is the weak point of Man of Steel for me - it still shits all over Avengers and Iron Man. The action in this was at least as good as The Avengers, and I found it more entertaining.

Top Bottom