• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Change of plans. Now seeing it tomorrow :eek:

I'm ready!

hSs1j.gif

Jarmel

Banned
Not usual at all. This is the first I can think of where it's even been tried, really. They essentially got Wal-Mart to buy 12 million dollars worth of tickets as part of their co-promotion. Most other promotional considerations stop at product placement, or licensing for their own product.

Essentially, Wal-Mart pitched in 12mil on the Opening Weekend. That's definitely worthy of consideration/asterisking. Especially since it's not likely the number of people who ACTUALLY went thanks to their promotion is going to come out.

That sounds like blatant padding.

The action is amazing. As in some of the best and most interesting I've ever seen. I've always wanted to see two supermen really go at it in live action, and this is the first time it's ever been truly accomplished.

The plot is fairly weak though. And some of the dialogue is odd.

All of Jonathan Kent's dialogue sounds like it could be from a wizard. Strangely, he's the least humanized character in the movie. Maybe it's because Clark's memories make him more grandiose than he truly was, but just some normal father-son dialogue would have went miles.

Overall though, it was a very enjoyable movie and a good way to kick off a franchise.

Matt_C

I think Zack Snyder has said on record that MoS does not take place in the Dark Knight trilogy. The Batman that may exist in this universe won't be the same as Nolan Batman.

http://www.blastr.com/2013-6-11/goyer-confirms-man-steel-universe-will-feature-new-batman

Yesh! I can see a different kind of Batman taking place on Earth-Snyder.

Great movie overall. Balls to the wall action, great story telling, Amy Adams looking delicious as always, and
those Kyptonian sequences
. My main minor annoyance is
it is 2013 and they still didn't portray Clark/Superman of being Jewish, or hints of it. I a He should of been in a a synagogue dammit but then again most movie goers only know of the movie Superman and/or Smallville. At least I know that Clark's Kansas upbringing is a metaphor for 'assimilation' into America and a parallel with the story of Moses being raised by Egyptian royalty, but it is no longer 1940. Even though I am not Jewish, at least have some hints of the property coming from the minds of Jewish immigrants. One day, I would love to see a Kirby interpretation of the character, play up Luthor's hatred of Superman as a metaphor for antisemitism, hints involving Darkseid and/or Intergang, Dan Tuprin, and maybe have a Jerry Seinfeld guest appearance.
At least Lois
was pretty damn tough, just like in the comics and DCAU

I would see this film again.

I don't think you can disqualify or push the goal posts because Walmart was the one who promoted/sold the tickets. The bulk of the movies sales will come Friday and Saturday, it will do well or fail based on that alone.

I'm not "disqualifying" it. I'm explaining why they're adding an asterisk to it. This is the first time I can think of that part of the promotional deal the studio struck with an advertiser included that advertiser buying 12mil in tickets for the opening weekend.

You can't "disqualify" it because it's money spent on tickets to the movie, so it has to be counted.

jett

D-Member

Great movie overall. Balls to the wall action, great story telling, Amy Adams looking delicious as always, and
it is 2013 and they still didn't portray Clark/Superman of being Jewish, or hints of it. I a He should of been in a a synagogue dammit but then again most movie goers only know of the movie Superman and/or Smallville. At least I know that Clark's Kansas upbringing is a metaphor for 'assimilation' into America and a parallel with the story of Moses being raised by Egyptian royalty, but it is no longer 1940. Even though I am not Jewish, at least have some hints of the property coming from the minds of Jewish immigrants. One day, I would love to see a Kirby interpretation of the character, play up Luthor's hatred of Superman as a metaphor for antisemitism, hints involving Darkseid and/or Intergang, Dan Tuprin, and maybe have a Jerry Seinfeld guest appearance.
At least Lois

what am i reading

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Not usual at all. This is the first I can think of where it's even been tried, really. They essentially got Wal-Mart to buy 12 million dollars worth of tickets as part of their co-promotion. Most other promotional considerations stop at product placement, or licensing for their own product.

Essentially, Wal-Mart pitched in 12mil on the Opening Weekend. That's definitely worthy of consideration/asterisking. Especially since it's not likely the number of people who ACTUALLY went thanks to their promotion is going to come out.

Wait, are they saying that Walmart bought $12m in tickets, or that Walmart sold $12m in tickets? That's a significant distinction.

Still, I think it's a smart strategy. Not everyone can make it to a midnight premiere, and even those who can would still likely prefer to go at 7 than midnight.

It was the least packed midnight show I'd ever been to, and I've been to a lot.

That might have been because of the Walmart premiere at 7. At my theater, that showing was packed. I don't know where you live, though, so it's possible that wasn't even available in your area.

Dead

well not really...yet

At least Lois
I know the creators are, but when has the character even been portrayed as so? I mean, maybe im just not familiar enough...?

That might have been because of the Walmart premiere at 7. At my theater, that showing was packed. I don't know where you live, though, so it's possible that wasn't even available in your area.
Central Illinois. And you might be right. We have two Walmarts close by that were selling for 7pm show. And I don't want to give impression it was ghost town at midnight show, but hardly anyone sat in front 4-5 rows.

dmshaposv

At least Lois

The fuck is this...

Saw it today.

I thought it was an okay movie that had some top quality action. I could have done without the below average attempt at intercutting his origin story with the present day events.

Ashhong

Amazing movie. Loved it. One small issue I had was the amount of destruction that happens. It really does make Avengers look like child's play. I feel like they did it just to show off or something. Don't know what else to cover that hasn't already been said. I thought it was wonderfully done. I teared up a bit watching him take flight for the first time and just enjoying himself. So good.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I have faith you will love this, don't know why.

Where is Krytonian?

I honestly have no clue. Most likely banned.

Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded!

Remmy2112

Just saw the film and loved it. The action scenes were amazing and I loved the various actors, especially that most of the principal cast got good moments (some more than others). I'd give it an A to B+, depending on part.

Dead

well not really...yet
One thing I really liked about the action in this though is just how brutal and violent it was. Snyder delivers on action whether its R or PG-13...

Compared to Nolan's TDKR, which was a much bleaker and darker film, the violence and grit was sorely lacking.

i have no issues with that... I have an issue with what apparently happens during the tornado scene..

Clark lets his dad die cause his dad pleads with him not to show his powers in front of others. What does this make Clark? a complete deuchebag, won't save his own dad cause of the fear that everyone will find out who he is, seriously?

that's not what happened.

also:
Archaize-Steam-Engine-Train.jpg

CHOO CHOO MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
will write my review later. all I can is that all my (girl) friends want to see it as well. I honestly thought that the Cavill effect was meaningless, the ladies love him here at my office and this really cute girl at the office loves Superman and my friend's wife does as well (her name is Lara so there you go) oh man oh man oh man! hey Matrix, there was an empty seat next to me, you were there buddy!

The OT title sure turned out accurate btw...lol
If it didn't have copious amounts of action then there would be a serious problem.

Nolan had it easy with Batman because a billionaire vigilante is easier to present in a semi-serious way. But an alien god that can fly and shoot lasers from his eyes? Considering the challenges with such a character I think Snyder did a good job with it.

Raptor

also:

will write my review later. all I can is that all my (girl) friends want to see it as well. I honestly thought that the Cavill effect was meaningless, the ladies love him here at my office and this really cute girl at the office loves Superman and my friend's wife does as well (her name is Lara so there you go) oh man oh man oh man! hey Matrix, there was an empty seat next to me, you were there buddy!

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!

SOLRAC!!!1

One thing I really liked about the action in this though is just how brutal and violent it was. Snyder delivers on action whether its R or PG-13...

Compared to Nolan's TDKR, which was a much bleaker and darker film, the violence and grit was sorely lacking.

I agree with TDKR's violence lacking, but I always thought Nolan had a good grip on it in TDK. The interrogation beatdown is brutal, and I'm glad they didn't go with the original idea with blood on Jokers face. It just touched the line between gritty and gratuitous.

Dead

well not really...yet
^^^ Agreed. I don't know what happened in that last movie.

Well that's a good thing, right?
There was a certain point where me and a buddy of mine turned and looked at each other, nodding "awww yisssss motherfucker!"

Total symphony of carnage

Raptor

There was a certain point where me and a buddy of mine turned and looked at each other, nodding "awww yisssss motherfucker!"

Total symphony of carnage

It was so incredible man, constantly telling my nephew "fucking yess!!!" and with a smile on my face all the time.

So vicious even when taking off flying.

BadAss2961

I agree with TDKR's violence lacking, but I always thought Nolan had a good grip on it in TDK. The interrogation beatdown is brutal, and I'm glad they didn't go with the original idea with blood on Jokers face. It just touched the line between gritty and gratuitous.
That scene is already perfect, but a little blood might have made it even better.

Hagi

Holy fuckballs this was bloody awesome. I thought the pacing was a tad frenetic at the start but everything really came together well.

God damn action comics in-fucking-deed! Snyder really brought his A game with the action scenes. No intrusive slo mo bullshit just straight up pound for pound action, i loved it. I can't echo what Jett said about a certain scene enough, so damn good.

This is the Superman movie i've always wanted.

Subitai

also:

These women don't know who Cavill's gf is do they?

Matrix

also:

Welp, I can't see how I won't love it if you did and lol thanks man!

GamerXXX

Banned
this must be the most polarized movie ever!

boxoffice.com is reporting that MOS is on pace for at least 120mm now... pretty darn good!

SimleuqiR

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/62883

Warner Bros has hopes that there will be more Man Of Steel films, and that this will be the beginning of a shared universe. We could meet Batman, or Wonder Woman, or the Justice League in these movies. But they all hinge on box office reception.

This movie needs to make good money. I hope the international markets are kinder to it and we get our JL universe.

the theater was fucking packed and there were four showings at midnight and they were full. the crowds was also really into, was whooping and hollering during the action. I even took down notes afterwards, i'm just busy at work right and can't sit down to do a proper review. I may write up on Saturday after I see it in 3D. oh man oh man oh man.

Top Bottom