• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Raptor

the theater was fucking packed and there were four showings at midnight and they were full. the crowds was also really into, was whooping and hollering during the action. I even took down notes afterwards, i'm just busy at work right and can't sit down to do a proper review. I may write up on Saturday after I see it in 3D. oh man oh man oh man.

I imagine your grin right now :D

GamerXXX

Banned
this polarized reaction kinda has increased my interest level, will prob go tomorrow night... wanna see what all this fuss is about. Inittially i was like 'fk!' they messed up! now i'm like 'i gotta see this!'

Hagi

Reading Waids review i can see why this is getting some bum reviews. It's not the Superman movie a lot of people are going to go in expecting to see.

OST is awesome makes up for the shitty TDKR.

Toa TAK

Banned
Batman, no. But the "Amazingly Infallible Bat-God: Dark Knight Deity of the JLA?" Oh, that motherfucker is going to be all up in this.

I'd be down with that for a Justice League film.

BUT MY DREAM is Nolan Batman and Snyder's Superman in a World's Finest film.

Please God.

OSHAN

Batman, no. But the "Amazingly Infallible Bat-God: Dark Knight Deity of the JLA?" Oh, that motherfucker is going to be all up in this.

I haven't seen the movie, but really, Batman can work in anything, especially if we're talking 90s JLA Morrison Batman.

Verendus

Banned
It's Batman's universe. He can work in it. The question is whether the rest of these pansy ass superheroes can keep up with him.

Batman really doesn't and shouldn't need to be a physical couter-part to Superman to not seem redundant.

But the worlds finest shouldn't be made anyway. Straight into JLA, and straight into a JLA thats been running from before the movie begins.

acrid

Banned
I have no idea what movie the critics are watching...this movie was fucking amazing. I was ready to see it again before it was even over. There is a certain 'darkness' to it, not as gritty as the Nolan Batflicks, but it's not Boy Scout Superman either.

Trojan X

Banned
Wow. My participation will happen in the IMAX Grand Theatre tomorrow morning, centre row and collumn. It's better than nothing as I was able to secure that seating after 2 hours from ticket opening.

Raptor

I have no idea what movie the critics are watching...this movie was fucking amazing. I was ready to see it again before it was even over. There is a certain 'darkness' to it, not as gritty as the Nolan Batflicks, but it's not Boy Scout Superman either.

Yes.

This movie made Superman freaking believable if you know what I mean.

ReiGun

Batman can work in anything. I'm not arguing that.

My problems with Bat-God are two fold. 1: I don't like how in some stories, in order to make Batman intellect stand out, either everyone else becomes stupider or Batman seems to just know things. 2: In the attempt to overcompensate and make Batman "cooler," he's often emotionally flat and kind of a prick. It's why I'll always prefer Batman in TAS over Batman in "Justice League:" the former had more personality, while the latter seemed to mostly show up to remind people how much smarter he was than them and how he didn't need them (but worked with them anyways, oddly).

Morrison's JLA, thankfully, remembers that the story is supposed to be about the entire team, and in true Morrison fashion, buffs all of them to fucking ridiculous levels. lol

Toa TAK

Banned

My problems with Bat-God are two fold. 1: I don't like how in some stories, in order to make Batman intellect stand out, either everyone else becomes stupider or Batman seems to just know things. 2: In the attempt to overcompensate and make Batman "cooler," he's often emotionally flat and kind of a prick. It's why I'll always prefer Batman in TAS over Batman in "Justice League:" the former had more personality, while the latter seemed to mostly show up to remind people how much smarter he was than them and how he didn't need them (but worked with them anyways, oddly).

Morrison's JLA, thankfully, remembers that the story is supposed to be about the entire team, and in true Morrison fashion, buffs all of them to fucking ridiculous levels. lol

I miss B:TAS. Is it on Netflix?

JB1981

Seeing it in 3 hours. Just spoke to my cousin who was so pumped for this movie. He hated it. Said he was over it with about 45 min left. Felt like walking out, massive disappointment. I will find out for myself soon!

fuenf

I guess this is good news? http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/man...elease-record-opening-day-in-the-philippines/

FRIDAY 1 PM, 2ND UPDATE: “We are having a big day!” a Warner Bros exec just gushed to me. “Movie’s working!” exulted another exec at the studio. No official numbers yet. But my sources say that, based on matinee trends, Man Of Steel is looking like $42.5M to $47.5M today, plus however the studio accounts for the $9M from Friday midnights and the $12M of corporate/Wal-Mart sales screenings from Thursday 7 PM shows. My sources have 3-day weekend estimates ranging from $114M to $120M with 4-day cumes ranging from $126M to $132M. ”It’s way behind Iron Man 3 but way ahead of Superman Returns,” a rival studio exec tells me. The only other movie in the marketplace in wide release, Sony/Columbia Pictures’ This Is The End which opened Wednesday is looking like $7M for Friday, $18.2M for the 3-day weekend, and $30M for the 5-day cume. Refined numbers later.

DMczaf

man-of-steel-christopher-nolan-zack-snyder-slice.jpg

Man, so many mixed reactions on my twitter feed. Some critics I actually really like talking about this movie botching the character motivations/arcs.

Fuck man, why can't they just do a great cinematic story starring Superman

Gonna see this later today, expectations set at completely neutral.

sunnz

Honestly?

It was a pretty enjoyable film, I was worried the critics will be right, but I disagree with most of there scores.

8/10.

Some amazing action scenes, the story pacing at times was weird though.

Dead

well not really...yet
Man, so many mixed reactions on my twitter feed. Some critics I actually really like talking about this movie botching the character motivations/arcs.

Im not buying any criticism about character arcs being botched.

There's plenty to criticize in regards to pacing and balance of character development/action, etc, but the overall character arcs in this film are fine. There is liberty taken from what people expect, but that is a good thing.

I know what you're saying, I think JLA Batman is characterised in a very different way from the mainline series starring him. For one, its kinda like how in the films the fight scenes are always shown from the villains perspective and Batman is the intruder. Its the nature of who he is - he's the outsider - and you rarely get a glimpse of whats going on inside his head unless you see him talk to Alfred or hang around in the Bat cave which the group shows usually forgo.

I don't mind him being the grumpy, paranoid mistrusting prick, because it makes the moments of vulnerability and comradeship much more earned and meaningful but theres arguments for both sides. If a JLA were to be made, I'd very much want it to be the unbeliever Batman. I know Alex Ross hates that version lol.

I loved the movie. It will rank among my favorites in superhero films, and kinda knocked out any need to go see more in the genre.

I like how it was paced so it will hold up to repeat viewings really well. None of this "waiting for the better third act" shit that most superhero movies suffer from.

EDIT: It was refreshing to have actual character development, not just the childish symbol-interpretation nonsense that Nolan passes as character development.

ReiGun

Friends finally confirmed when they're going. Going tomorrow. Have to see it in 3-D though. We're going to a small theater downtown after they get off work and the only late showing is in 3-D. :/

Only know one person whose seen it and he liked it.

I know what you're saying, I think JLA Batman is characterised in a very different way from the mainline series starring him. For one, its kinda like how in the films the fight scenes are always shown from the villains perspective and Batman is the intruder. Its the nature of who he is - he's the outsider - and you rarely get a glimpse of whats going on inside his head unless you see him talk to Alfred or hang around in the Bat cave which the group shows usually forgo.

I don't mind him being the grumpy, paranoid mistrusting prick, because it makes the moments of vulnerability and comradeship much more earned and meaningful but theres arguments for both sides. If a JLA were to be made, I'd very much want it to be the unbeliever Batman. I know Alex Ross hates that version lol.
I think it's a fine line to walk. Batman should be the outsider and non-social, but sometimes, it feels like the writers are trying to hard. It's like dude, we know Batman is cool. You've got nothing to prove. lol

It's going to be tricky in the JLA movie because you have Wonder Woman et. al who are always in the shadow of Batman and Superman fighting to get attention. I hope that the movie can avoid giving those two all of the big feats and let everyone else shine.

SimleuqiR

The question seems to be, "Which Superman? Yours, mine, the other guy's? Seems like everyone has an their own vision of what a Superman movie should be. I really think that the majority of the movie critics are holding tight to their love for the Donner way of portraying the character. This is not my childhood's Superman, and that's ok by me. A new Superman for a new generation.

dmshaposv

Im not buying any criticism about character arcs being botched.

There's plenty to criticize in regards to pacing and balance of character development/action, etc, but the overall character arcs in this film are fine. There is liberty taken from what people expect, but that is a good thing.

Most people keep complaining about why Clark Kent didn't match the Donner version of bumbling and nerdy.

It was alright. Not even close to any of the Batman flicks.

oh PUH-LEASE.

why are you still listening to critics? why are you listening to anyone period? did you want to go see the movie? go see it. it isn't hard.
oh man, third lady (drop dead gorgeous red-head)at work overheard me talking about the movie and told me she was excited to see it because of Cavill. this movie is going to have legs!

So, the budget + marketing of the movie was close to 400 million am i right? So the movie has to make 800 million WW to make some profit? I don't know if that will happen.

why are you still listening to critics? why are you listening to anyone period? did you want to go see the movie? go see it. it isn't hard.

Did you have trouble reading my post? I stated I was going to see the movie, later today even. I'm fascinated by the completely polarizing critical reaction to it by writers I enjoy reading.

Top Bottom