• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Toa TAK

Banned
People applauded in the theatre showing I was in once the film ended. I've never seen that happen before. So, meh, what do I know eh

I feel for you. Having the whole audience clap after a movie is one of those "feel good" moments everyone should have if they enjoyed it, too.

But you didn't as much. :\

Sent

a tiny tear welled up, only because it reminded of my father who died recently.

That's my point!
If you had a chance to save a family member you would! I would no matter the cost. I recently lost a good friend, and the scene just didn't feel right that he didn't even try :(

I know what they were going for but...

hlhbk

People applauded in the theatre showing I was in once the film ended. I've never seen that happen before. So, meh, what do I know eh

People gave TDK a standing ovation at the showing I went to and both the IMAX and standard film showings of TDKR the entire theatre was applauding. The trailers for Man of Steel seemed meh to me. Still deciding if I want to spend the $ on going to the theatre or wait for the Netflix rental.

Solo

Yep. I have the same feeling.

Sculli too.

But they hate everything these days so.

What?

The Dark Knight Rises
The Avengers
Star Trek Into Darkness
Fast & Furious 6

There's 4 big blockbusters from the last 2 years that I really liked.

Raptor

That's my point!
If you had a chance to save a family member you would! I would no matter the cost. I recently lost a good friend, and the scene just didn't feel right that he didn't even try :(

He wanted to honor his dad teachings because he just minutes earlier said very mean things to him, he wanted to be a good son to his dad Kent, not hard to understand what Clark was feeling.

strafer

What?

The Dark Knight Rises
The Avengers
Star Trek Into Darkness
Fast & Furious 6

There's 4 big blockbusters from the last 2 years that I really liked.

That's weird because everytime there's a Batman thread or movie thread you always seem to hate it.

Fast and Furious 6 and Iron Man 3 are kings of the summer for me.

Also I give Benedict Cumberbatch MVP of the summer.

seeing this sometime this weekend. we'll see if this does anything to my rankings. though going by Blader's review I'm probably not gonna like it too much.

edit: whatever. be proud of "hating". TDKR is a massive disappointment. Star Trek Into Darkness has a great villain but poor ass script. Fast and Furious rocks, Justin Lin knows what's up.

I've never understood clapping at a movie. Though if I were a screenwriter or something I would go to as many showings as possible to accept the applause. Only time I ever clapped was after the first Gi Joe movie.

Ahasverus

I've never understood clapping at a movie. Though if I were a screenwriter or something I would go to as many showings as possible to accept the applause. Only time I ever clapped was after the first Gi Joe movie.

0062_e9pi.gif

Hagi

You clapped because it was finished right? not because you thought it was good?

I can't HATE TDKR because of it's beautiful final minutes. but i think the film disrespects the previous two in the trilogy, and I don't like that. plus it's kinda the stupidest of the three.

edit: blader thinks we're open books or some shit. I'll love this movie out of SPITE!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Really hoping for the Pacific Rim trailer, want to see that shit in a big screen.

Dead

well not really...yet
I can see Sculli and Disco liking parts of it.

I'd be very surprised if Solo likes any of it. :lol
I can see Sculli being on the same wavelength as Jett. Solo outright hating it, and Disco being in the middle.

Solo could go for the heel turn and enjoy it, but I don't think this is the movie where it will happen :lol

I'm back.

Better than anything Marvel has done after Iron Man (2008).

I understand the mix reaction but the trailers showed what this film was. It wasn't happy-go-lucky goofy Marvel, it was ponderous myth and it was neat. It was as I expected it and I wasn't unimpressed. This Superman is more like the comics for better or worst.

A lot to like Cavill, Crowe, Adams all great. Ma and Pa are great too.

Best bits are the understated moments of Superman's strength. His first appearance is perfect.

Fights are noisy and OTT and do get boring.

I Want a more measured sequel, like the set up. I want this film's cast back, I like them plenty.

Better than Returns by a large way but this films shows the flaw of Superman as a hero. He's way too strong. This is for the most part the best way they could have done a modern take.

7/10

Edit:

My prediction on how they handled his secret identity was also spot on and I loved it.

ezekial45

Banned
Saw it, loved it. It's definitely go its issues, but I was still pretty damn impressed by it.

I hope it'll do well and we can finally see this DC Movieverse get on track.

That's my point!

no I cried because knowing my dad he would have told to stay back.

Timbuktu

He might not be Brando, but for me the Russel Crowe scenes were the best in the movie for me; when he goes full Gladiator mode he can make the most hamfisted lines work. On the other hand, i love Amy Adams but some of the stuff she had to utter just sounded awful.

So i really enjoyed the first half of the movie and thought maybe gaf is right and the critics were too harsh, but it just became a mess at the end and i got bored as the action got louder but more pointless. I get we aren't meant to care about these people dying because it looks like 9/11 but i don't really knwo who they are. And in the middle of the movie, did they ever say why Zod wanted Amy Adams on the ship except to foil his evil plans?

Sent

He wanted to honor his dad teachings because he just minutes earlier said very mean things to him, he wanted to be a good son to his dad Kent, not hard to understand what Clark was feeling.

nothing says I'm sorry like letting a person die?

Box office update

FRIDAY 1 PM, 2ND UPDATE: “We are having a big day!” a Warner Bros exec just gushed to me. “Movie’s working!” exulted another exec at the studio. No official numbers yet. But my sources say that, based on matinee trends, Man Of Steel (4,207 theaters with 3D in 3,357 venues) is looking like $42.5M to $47.5M today,

This includes the midnights

Estimated weekend haul between 105-135 million

MisterHero

I liked it. I agree with most of the criticisms that have been discussed before. The final conflict really feels like Spider-Man 2, Transformers, Star Trek 09, Avengers, and so on. On top of the conflict being shallow, it's been done before by equal or lesser movies (ex: all three Transformers). The main conflict is aggressively average. That's really unfortunate, since most of Superman's material predates those other series.

The plot's somewhat redeemed by the adherence to Superman lore. I loved how Krypton was portrayed. It's a living, breathing world in an age of science fiction. Aside from Earth, we have another world that is also being fought for. We see how a civilization lives and even delve into its history and political strife. It's not just treated as Cybertron or Romulus, which were only name-dropped in their respective movies. Furthermore, Jor-El not only delivers exposition, but he's really useful throughout the movie.

Secondly, we know who Superman fights against and where they come from. Zod and his crew were not just a bunch of grunts like in some of the movies I mentioned. It starts to approach that territory with a certain masked giant, but thankfully attention is brought back to mostly Zod and Faora. Faora was especially menacing.

I was grinning ear-to-ear when Superman flew for the first time. It's too bad that this is really the only time he seems to enjoy being Superman. I wish I could see him resolve some petty crimes or reverse some natural disasters though.

About the military. Let's just say the sheer adversity created a need for a certain League. :)

The human cast. I wish there was more of the Daily Planet doing their usual thing. It's filled with charismatic actors but their time is mostly diverted by an action sequece.

I've got nothing to say about the Kents. They're clearly two people that really loved their son. The flashbacks the Kents star in are well executed, if not inserted into strange spots of the main continuity. I understand the non-linear nature of the flashbacks; they're to create an organic sense of memories, rather than just backing up plot points. It's disconcerting as to why the present tense can't breathe as much.

Like most of the human cast, Lois's role is swept up into the general arc of the fight for Earth. She's a reporter and does it well, but the action comes at the cost of her connecting to anyone. There just isn't time for it.

I liked General Zod. He has a solid foundation, but being bred as a violent warrior leaves little room for surprise. At least he gets into some badass fighting. :)

I'd give the plot a C or B-, but the portrayal of Krypton and seeing SUPERMAN in action again makes all the difference for me. This IS a Superman movie, just in a different flavor. The conflict is standard, but unlike a lot of franchise movies, the source material is treated with utmost respect.

While I say, "Screw the critics!" there's lots of room to improve for the inevitable sequel. I can't wait. :)

effzee

I guess I don't mind the clapping. Movies, especially these summer blockbusters are an event. Even though obviously the cast and crew can't hear its just appreciation for the product. People should be able to express their enjoyment too much uptight appropriate behavior takes the joy out.

Some of my best movie going experiences are with the opening night/weekend crowds, packed theaters, and concluding with applause afterwards.

The applause at the end of TDKR was so bittersweet though. Knew it was the end so still joined in with the rest.

Top Bottom