• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man of Steel |OT| It's about action.

Liked the jumping back and forth in this, prevented it from being another boring origin movie which we don't need to have told for the 100th time. It kept things going and may have seem disjointed, but to me that was fine. Also glad they didn't waste time setting up the whole corny secret identity and daily bugle stuff with Lois early on. Again, we already know all this crap, it's a movie, move along. Was so disappointed when the new Spiderman movie wasted time again on retelling us his origin.

SimleuqiR

More like:

christopher-nolan-pode-comandar-universo-dc-nos-cinemas.jpg

Search your feelings; You know it to be true.

"Lol fancasting," I know.

Yes please!

christian-bale-batman-henry-cavill-superman-justice-league-movie__oPt.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The audience I was with was very into the movie, I think the general audience will eat it up. They just want to be entertained and that's what the movie does, entertain.

GamerXXX

Banned
okay, i know everyone wants a JL movie but what role will batman have in this universe? What can a human, wearing a bat suit who can get beat up by Bane and get hurt by falling down contribute? Perhaps you can make Superman retarded or confused with Bruce Wayne providing guidance? Only an overpowered batman can exist in a JL movie alongside Cavill's superman... Bale's batman is very weak and wouldn't be able to to hold his own. Anyone see batman saving the world from Faora, Zod and their army?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
okay, i know everyone wants a JL movie but what role will batman have in this universe? What can a human, wearing a bat suit who can get beat up by Bane and get hurt by falling down contribute to? Perhaps you can make Superman retarded or confused with Bruce Wayne providing guidance? Only an overpowered batman can exist in a JL movie alongside Cavill's superman... Bale's batman is very weak and wouldn't be able to to hold his own. Anyone see batman saving the world from Faora, Zod and their army?

Gadgets. Strategy. Batman is much more down to earth compared to Supes, and might be willing to make some tough decisions that he isn't.

I mean to me, the equivalent of why is Batman necessary would be why is Cap' necessary for the Avengers? He's outclassed by every single hero, and he doesn't really do much but stand tall and give simplistic orders. But he's still fucken Captain America!

Trigger

okay, i know everyone wants a JL movie but what role will batman have in this universe? What can a human, wearing a bat suit who can get beat up by Bane and get hurt by falling down contribute? Perhaps you can make Superman retarded or confused with Bruce Wayne providing guidance? Only an overpowered batman can exist in a JL movie alongside Cavill's superman... Bale's batman is very weak and wouldn't be able to to hold his own. Anyone see batman saving the world from Faora, Zod and their army?

All Batman needs is prep time playboy. There are plenty of good stories of his time with the JL. If anything I think a meeting with Bats would really suit the themes of this movie.

ezekial45

Banned
The audience I was with was very into the movie, I think the general audience will eat it up. They just want to be entertained and that's what the movie does, entertain.

I noticed a lot of people were tearing up during the opening scenes too. They all clapped at the end of the movie too. This will do well.

If these numbers go to $125-130 million, I can see it reaching close to a $300 million domestic gross.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Definitely going to see it again tomorrow or Sunday.

It's just that goddamn good to me.

This.

My superhero films ranking:
1) Spiderman 1
2) Spiderman 2 and Man of Steel
3) TDK trilogy
4) Avengers
5) Iron Man

This movie is leagues above the others action wise, and the feels really make you feel.

ZoddGutts

This. Nolan's Batman is slow as fuck in fighting and moving around. Even Green Arrow from Arrow TV show can do more shit than Nolan's Batman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRM1nRLCOLs

Effect

Got back from Man of Steel a little while ago. Loved it. Simply loved it. I'm sure once I stop and thinking about it more I think I might have some issues with a few things but overall I can't think of anything major and I'm looking forward to seeing it again soon. Especially since I'm on vacation now and have the time over the next two weeks. The audience I saw it with was really into it as well. The right amount of gasping and ohhhing. Plenty of clapping at the end as well.

Officially my favorite movie of the summer. Enjoyed it more then I've enjoyed any of the Marvel supehero films to date.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Man I feel like I have to tip toe around this thread and be extremely careful, I'm close to having to stay out now till next Thursday... which sucks. Why don't people like the spoiler thread? You guys can basically have the same discussions without the need of worrying about the black bars.

Don't get it lol

I am so glad to see so many people loving it and the box office predictions look awesome. I only care about that for future movies, normally I could care less.

Trigger

Amy Adams is a horrible Lois Lane. There I said it.

This.

My superhero films ranking:
1) Spiderman 1
2) Spiderman 2 and Man of Steel
3) TDK trilogy
4) Avengers
5) Iron Man

This movie is leagues above the others action wise, and the feels really make you feel.

Really? I think the TDK trilogy was plotted much better, and IM has a stronger male lead. The movie was good, but they still have work to do before they catch up with the Marvel trilogies.

Dahbomb

I JUST SAW IT!!!

Ok time to set the record straight:

*Man of Steel >>>>>>>> My Left Nut >>>>>>> Superman Returns. This movie made me forget about it. I really can't find anything that Returns does better than MoS.

*Fuck Rottentomatoes and critics in general. Yea the movie has issues but they were way too harsh on it. RT can kiss my candy ass.

Now for some real talk. I liked the movie but this does not touch the Batman trilogy. It MAY be better than TDKR but I don't know... that said it's definitely better than the B/C tier Marvel movies like Thor/Cap. The action in this movie is insane, the scale was larger than any previous big budget movie in recent memory. I don't know what the budget was but it was definitely well used here IMO.

PROS:

*Action, action, action.... some parts reminiscent of live action DBZ done in a good way. When stuff starts escalating it just keeps at it until it comes to a screeching halt. It looks great and feels great. When I own this on Blu Ray I will be watching the action parts again and again.

*Some scenes tugged at the heart string. I don't want to spoil them but I had feels. This is something MoS has over something like the Avengers. I really liked all the Kent flashback scenes.

*Excellent capture of Superman's strength and sense of speed. The part where Superman first learns to fly is exhilarating and you can see the joy in Cavill's eyes and face when he flies. Every time you see Superman flies it looks great and feels great.

*Movie is phenomenal eye candy. Everything from Krypton to the isolated ice fields to the impressive action sequences looked great.

*Most of the cast was solid with the script provided. I thought Cavill was great as Superman (people who I went with disagreed, they thought he had moments of bad acting but I contested that it was the dialogue but that's in the next part). Ma/Pa Kent, Jor-El etc did a fine job with their roles. Lois Lane was OK too. Faora is going to be the waifu of many fanboys out there.

CONS:

*Script/dialogue was definitely weak. A lot of lines choice were cheesy as hell, definitely things that didn't naturally flow together and felt like lines that sound great in trailers but don't really feel that great in the movie. It was the exact same problem that 300 had. This is one area where the Iron Man movies and the Avengers knock out MoS.

*Pacing is a hit or miss. First part after Krypton definitely is paced very improperly. Hardly anything gets developed and then when the sequence is over you are thrust into action set piece after action set piece. It's uneven and quite frankly sloppy. I am almost sure there is a director cut out there which fleshes out some of the Clark Kent scenes out more.

*Shannon was weak as Zod. Definitely a problem of the script/dialogue here. Other characters did better with what they were provided.

*The whole "zoom in" camera technique got old even as early as the Krypton portion. Holy shit was it over used. The action scenes were breath taking but having the camera always zoom in to the shit you are supposed to see got annoying.

Random thoughts (not a story spoiler but I will mark it anyway):

I think Zack Snyder makes a cameo himself during the bus scene. When the bus is losing control and flips over the bridge, a guy comes out of his car and looks over the bridge. That guy looked like Zack Snyder.

Also I saw the regular version of the movie and the dialogue sound was really low. It was always drowned out by the score. I will probably see this in IMAX again just to confirm if the problem persists but I wasn't the only who noticed it, the people who I saw it with commented on it as well.

There was definitely humor in the movie and the tone wasn't that dark/serious. Crowd really enjoyed the movie, probably more than me as they applauded it.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Younger Lois Lane and you get actresses like Bosworth. BLEHHHHHH

Henry Cavill also looks older than 30 so Adams does not stand out as looking that much older than him despite the age difference.

Amy Adams is horrible at Lois? then what the heck is Bosworth... a disease on this world?

Maximus.

The argument being made is a batman like Nolan's batman doesn't work with superheros with powers. Nolan's batman was a real human in a suit. For JL they have to make batman more like how he is in the comics and animated tellings.

JB1981

Man I feel like I have to tip toe around this thread and be extremely careful, I'm close to having to stay out now till next Thursday... which sucks. Why don't people like the spoiler thread? You guys can basically have the same discussions without the need of worrying about the black bars.

Don't get it lol

I am so glad to see so many people loving it and the box office predictions look awesome. I only care about that for future movies, normally I could care less.

Spoiler threads tend to turn into bastions of negativity and nit picking

Matrix

Spoiler threads tend to turn into bastions of negativity and nit picking

Well true, I just wish some people (not naming) would spoiler tag some stuff in here, it's not hard at all. Still a lot of people have not seen it.

Dahbomb

Oh shit Idis Elba as John Steward... perfect casting IMO.

Also Zack Snyder out Michal Bay'd Michael Bay. This was like superior to Transformers in the one thing that Transformers was even decent at.. the spectacle. You at least didn't have to sit through shitty comedy routines and bad stereotype jokes to get to the action.

Shaanyboi

Banned
You don't want people falling asleep at the site of a character. He has no personality.

he's a head-strong military man. He's straight-forward. He isn't someone like Batman who has no respect for "authority", but also has a more realistic point of view as opposed to Superman's idealism. He also has the perspective of intergalactic politics thanks to the Corps.

And pairing him up with The Flash (atleast in the animated series) works pretty well.

Top Bottom