• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solune

Yep, you won't see me promoting Guilty Crown if that's your concern. :lol

My bad for anyone who sincerely does. :p
You forget DTL my friend.
I see SDBurton has brought a little of the glory of AnimeGAF to this place. Good.
And Ultimadrago, hey wait, you don't visit often!
I took a recommendation from flawfuls once. It's still not done and probably never will be.
Taking recommendations is best when you know it's done! I think flawfuls just wants others to endure the pain with him.
Streams are crossing and soon Anime and Manga GAF will be one.

I remember when the stream crossing was a hot topic in IRC, it was quite... divisive.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think that Keima has platonic affection for all of the girls. It's more than guilt because during the Goddess Saga after meeting Minami and Jun again he was visibly upset, especially when Minami reacted to him with fear. He had nothing to feel guilty about, he was sad that they didn't remember him.

The title of the manga could refer to many things, but I think one of them is the fact that Keima alone remembers all of his conquests, he's the only one who has to deal with all those feels.

I still don't understand entirely why he had to reject Chihiro so harshly in the first place. Perhaps that just me not remembering the plot or something? My recollection was that it made the entire Ayumi part way harder.

I still don't understand entirely why he had to reject Chihiro so harshly in the first place. Perhaps that just me not remembering the plot or something? My recollection was that it made the entire Ayumi part way harder.

He did it in order to make sure that she would stay away from him, mainly for her own protection. The triangle was always going to be a problem regardless of the way she'd been dumped.

was she not like the biggest fan of his nickname at the start of this manga?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
He did it in order to make sure that she would stay away from him, mainly for her own protection. The triangle was always going to be a problem regardless of the way she'd been dumped.

I suppose, but it seemed like it made finishing Ayumi's route harder, which was the only thing that was going to take all of them out of danger in the first place.

You should ignore our conversation until you catch up.

ah yeah back to reading... be back in 5 hours of grinding through

edit: one question about the TWGOK universe what are Flags? I would have thought the chapters would be called Paths but Flags seem to be something I missed related to the girl games he plays so I am not sure what a flag is relating to that but he just called Nora a Poison Flag Woman so I am wondering what it is.

Ohikkoshi

KuBsG.jpg

It was...alright. Somewhat funny, nice character designs, but nothing here that will really stick with you for too long. It was a bit too manic and all over the place, I never really got all that invested in the story or the characters. Ending was pretty ridiculous.

craker

I am so very saddened that my recommendation of reading RYUURODEN has been apparently ignored v___________v

Such an awesome, awesome manga. It deserves more fans/readers than just only me in the MangaGAF community.

Ah well... I'm not gonna stop pimping it every now and then...

I read it, and it's really good. I just wish the translation hadn't stalled.

Angry Grimace

ah yeah back to reading... be back in 5 hours of grinding through

edit: one question about the TWGOK universe what are Flags? I would have thought the chapters would be called Paths but Flags seem to be something I missed related to the girl games he plays so I am not sure what a flag is relating to that but he just called Nora a Poison Flag Woman so I am wondering what it is.

A flag is just a game programming term that refers to anything that changes stuff in the game. In terms of dating sims it would typically mean events that give an opportunity to change your relationship with the target.

A flag is just a game programming term that refers to anything that changes stuff in the game. In terms of dating sims it would typically mean events that give an opportunity to change your relationship with the target.

ah thanks this helps me understand more of this world wish I played more dating sims before I read this

I suppose, but it seemed like it made finishing Ayumi's route harder, which was the only thing that was going to take all of them out of danger in the first place.

I think anything he did would have made the route harder given the relationship snafu so he picked to path that will let him at least complete his objective regardless (sadly at the massive detriment of the other party cuz man that shit was fucking harsh)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Robot v1

Interesting book full of short stories from different artists, which are all pretty surreal. Not bad, even though there's one really weird guro piece.

The art is fantastic.

Angry Grimace

ah thanks this helps me understand more of this world wish I played more dating sims before I read this

Programming flags exist in every game. Almost nobody here has played any dating games (which are almost never translated), but really if you've either played through a visual novel or watched something like Clannad you'll understand most of the jokes involved because they're just video game strategies combined with cheesy anime romance tropes.

Solune

Koimoku 6-13

Man, I was just expecting this to be a fairly silly & smutty take on manga production but this can get surprisingly depressing at times when it portrays the industry in a such a cold-hearted, soul-crushing manner. It owns!!!

It seems decent enough. *adds to readlist*
Haha, "What on earth did I do last night?!" is like a night in animeGAF. Will read.
Flipping pages is difficul!

I lurk more than you would expect. This thread moves a lot slower than what I'm used to so it's not that big a deal!
I think you mean scrolling! In which case that's still difficult...

And yah animegaf OTs are like Titanics, eager to rush them to their watery grave! I'm like 30+ pages behind again, then I gave up.

If I may provide a suggestion, try Ar Tonelico

I am so very saddened that my recommendation of reading RYUURODEN has been apparently ignored v___________v

Such an awesome, awesome manga. It deserves more fans/readers than just only me in the MangaGAF community.

Ah well... I'm not gonna stop pimping it every now and then...

Relax man, I'm obligated to try because you read 7 Seeds.

Just had too much to do for work (and Football Manager 2013)

Programming flags exist in every game. Almost nobody here has played any dating games (which are almost never translated), but really if you've either played through a visual novel or watched something like Clannad you'll understand most of the jokes involved because they're just video game strategies combined with cheesy anime romance tropes.

yeah I get it now, I would never admit to what I've played here but since I used guides for every girl just to get to each ending I kinda messed up the experiences of finding the path patterns, so that is why I said I wish a played more what I should have said is I wished I played more without the guides. Used guides mostly because most were in languages I did not speak. If you seen my Avatar for years have been Potato from the Anime AIR which is the same company that made Clannad just never got into Clannad much but loved the dango family song. I found all of those extremely depressing and dark. So I stopped playing those games as well. Air really depressed me as an Anime it was the only anime to have such a terrible mood impact so I kept potato as an Avatar for most of my time here.

So I understood the more encounters the better the relationship progression and I understood each girl had her own hangout spot matching her hobbies and likes as you talked to her you found the clues of where you would be able to find her, and the special events that could be missed. This manga also hast cultural references like the Beatles when the band was first started by Chihiro. Some you can easily miss. The Author seems to have a good write up of each character and arc if you take the time to read those it helps the story a bit.

In a way remembering how dark Air/Clannad were I think I understand more about Keima's lack of connection to the girls. He has the same pattern as those games where you can have a very sad dark ending with a girl. It makes sense if you have played some of those or seen the anime and know how emotionally twisted some of the events are.

Angry Grimace

yeah I get it now, I would never admit to what I've played here but since I used guides for every girl just to get to each ending I kinda messed up the experiences of finding the path patterns, so that is why I said I wish a played more what I should have said is I wished I played more without the guides. Used guides mostly because most were in languages I did not speak. If you seen my Avatar for years have been Potato from the Anime AIR which is the same company that made Clannad just never got into Clannad much but loved the dango family song. I found all of those extremely depressing and dark. So I stopped playing those games as well. Air really depressed me as an Anime it was the only anime to have such a terrible mood impact so I kept potato as an Avatar for most of my time here.

So I understood the more encounters the better the relationship progression and I understood each girl had her own hangout spot matching her hobbies and likes as you talked to her you found the clues of where you would be able to find her, and the special events that could be missed. This manga also hast cultural references like the Beatles when the band was first started by Chihiro. Some you can easily miss. The Author seems to have a good write up of each character and arc if you take the time to read those it helps the story a bit.

In a way remembering how dark Air/Clannad were I think I understand more about Keima's lack of connection to the girls. He has the same pattern as those games where you can have a very sad dark ending with a girl. It makes sense if you have played some of those or seen the anime and know how emotionally twisted some of the events are.

My wife looked over my shoulder and started singing the Dango song

Antiwhippy

Jin v1

You know, I'm not so sure if people of feudal japan would calmly watch someone stab a sword into a kid's throat, even if they claim they were a doctor.

Really fun series though, a good historical drama exploring how modern medicine will impact the medicine of 1800's japan.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Relax man, I'm obligated to try because you read 7 Seeds.

Just had too much to do for work (and Football Manager 2013)

Hahaha I hope you are not misconstruing my comments as me sniping at you my friend.

But really, you are not obligated to do it or anything like that. If it appears to be not interesting for you, then by all means just skip it :D

Although I really do think Ryuuroden needs more love here. It's definitely one of the best historical/fantasy/action mangas I have ever read.

Robot v1

Interesting book full of short stories from different artists, which are all pretty surreal. Not bad, even though there's one really weird guro piece.

The art is fantastic.

Reading this gave me a bunch of new authors to follow. It's a pity that some of the most interesting ones don't seem to have anything else out.

Hahaha I hope you are not misconstruing my comments as me sniping at you my friend.

But really, you are not obligated to do it or anything like that. If it appears to be not interesting for you, then by all means just skip it :D

Although I really do think Ryuuroden needs more love here. It's definitely one of the best historical/fantasy/action mangas I have ever read.

I remember starting it my issue with it is "Three Kingdoms" period of China. So many of these so it makes it hard to give it a chance. I got stuck a few chapters in just like I got stuck with TWGOK years back so its not a bad thing it is just harder to stick with a manga and not get bored if it is a familiar repeated theme

Oh no, I know I'm not really obligated but I like to give other works people recommend a try too. It's more fun that way.

Antiwhippy

Reading this gave me a bunch of new authors to follow. It's a pity that some of the most interesting ones don't seem to have anything else out.

Yeah, these anthologies are usually a great way to learn about some new artists.

I was mostly interested in it because of Yoshitoshi ABe and Range murata.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I remember starting it my issue with it is "Three Kingdoms" period of China. So many of these so it makes it hard to give it a chance. I got stuck a few chapters in just like I got stuck with TWGOK years back so its not a bad thing it is just harder to stick with a manga and not get bored if it is a familiar repeated theme

Try to give it more chance. The Three Kingdom period is very, and I do mean very, well implemented to the overall main story of the manga, which is mainly about the journey of the protagonist and his fated love against a significant force of evil.

It sounds cliche if I am describing it like that, but believe me, Ryuuroden is anything but.

I even dare to say that it has the best fighting flow/choreography/art/mechanic compared to the rest of its Shounen peers.

Oh no, I know I'm not really obligated but I like to give other works people recommend a try too. It's more fun that way.

Try to read it in its entirety if you can! It's definitely a fantastic read.

Try to give it more chance. The Three Kingdom period is very, and I do mean very, well implemented to the overall main story of the manga, which is mainly about the journey of the protagonist and his fated love against a significant force of evil.

It sounds cliche if I am describing it like that, but believe me, Ryuuroden is anything but.

I even dare to say that it has the best fighting flow/choreography/art/mechanic compared to the rest of its Shounen peers.

Try to read it in its entirety if you can! It's definitely a fantastic read.

It will stay on my reading list not sure when I will give it the attention it deserves as I said it took me years to get pass some hang ups with TWGOK and I am now doing a catch up marathon read of that. I'm a sucker for romance manga

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It will stay on my reading list not sure when I will give it the attention it deserves as I said it took me years to get pass some hang ups with TWGOK and I am now doing a catch up marathon read of that. I'm a sucker for romance manga

Then Ryuuroden will definitely satisfy you since it features, I think in all honesty, one of the most touching romantic stories I have ever read in a manga.

At first it really did seem like a cliche what's with all the childhood friends and stuff, but later volumes expand and expand and expand and expand upon the romance aspect so magnificently that the romance between the main hero and his fated love is so incredibly moving and touching, especially considering the various circumstances they were thrown into.

dumbyugi

Hikaru no Go

I don't think that this was bad, it just wasn't good. Some parts were really good, but the series as a whole was really bogged down by the bad parts. Almost every single big match in the series is never shown completly, even the Hikaru versus Akira match the whole first part is leading up to. I also have issues with how every character except for Hikaru and Akira were thrown to the side except for brief moments, and when they did focus on other characters it amounted to nothing important. I was liking Hikaru's character growth at first but he ended up just becoming an arrogant bastard. The ending was crap and wrapped up nothing. This was a series that really needed a time skip ending to show how the characters were doing after the Korea versus Japan match, and I don't really count the shitty last chapter that focused on two kids. If they were going to have an open ending then it should have ended when the Sai arc did. I thought it had potential at the begining but it was all down hill once Hikaru became an insei.

Art - 9/10
Characters - 6/10
Story - 5/10

Overall - 6/10

I'll probably start Naruto sometime in the next few weeks.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hikaru no Go

I don't think that this was bad, it just wasn't good. Some parts were really good, but the series as a whole was really bogged down by the bad parts. Almost every single big match in the series is never shown completly, even the Hikaru versus Akira match the whole first part is leading up to. I also have issues with how every character except for Hikaru and Akira were thrown to the side except for brief moments, and when they did focus on other characters it amounted to nothing important. I was liking Hikaru's character growth at first but he ended up just becoming an arrogant bastard. The ending was crap and wrapped up nothing. This was a series that really needed a time skip ending to show how the characters were doing after the Korea versus Japan match, and I don't really count the shitty last chapter that focused on two kids. If they were going to have an open ending then it should have ended when the Sai arc did. I thought it had potential at the begining but it was all down hill once Hikaru became an insei.

It's because it's cancelled due to the readership dwindling down due to them killing off the best character in the manga.

Kind of amazing that a single character can sustain an entire manga just like that, heh.

iavi

Teppuu ~7-16

I am really, really enjoying this. It's actually nice to have a manga where the protag isn't a naked rookie--technically, but still has a very, very long way to go in what they're doing. It's not as predictable. And Natsuo's awesome. I get that I'm supposed to hate her, but her constant salt and blatant sadism is funny as hell--well, in most cases; Her fight against Kiri in the all-female grappling tourny truly did come to the point of being cruel.

I both dig that her personality is going to be fleshed out and explained with the family backstory, and...hate it. It'll add much needed expo, but I love the fights, move explanations, and training segments. Love em. It's better that this manga be a good manga, though, and round itself out.

Dresden

biblia koshodou no jiken techou -

Surprisingly good. It really doesn't feel like the typical light novel adapt, despite (or perhaps dueto) being one of the most successful sales-wise in that medium. The two chapters track the mystery of a possibly fake, possibly authentic Souseki Natsume autograph, and the way it's told, even with the abundance of details about writers long-dead and relatively unknown here, was engaging stuff. Looking forward to more.

It's also moe.

Then Ryuuroden will definitely satisfy you since it features, I think in all honesty, one of the most touching romantic stories I have ever read in a manga.

At first it really did seem like a cliche what's with all the childhood friends and stuff, but later volumes expand and expand and expand and expand upon the romance aspect so magnificently that the romance between the main hero and his fated love is so incredibly moving and touching, especially considering the various circumstances they were thrown into.

Touching and Deep is spot on for what I enjoy but most romance mangos are Tragic. Japan seem to love Tragic Dramas.

I'll say my favorite romance/relationship story in manga/anime is still Chobits it may always be because of the lack of sex as the pay off so it retains an innocence and that huge challenge of accepting Chii as a partner/lover. Second for me would be Ai Yori Aoshi would be number 1 if it was not a harem manga.

I read a bunch of things trying to find a good touching romance but all of them have lots of one sided fail to them which makes me hate the process of looking.

But to be honest I am a huge relationship junky and look for it in everything I read. Manga romances don't always work, and most manga genres like shounen mangas don't really focus on romance they tease at it (Hinata/Naruto) but they don't allow a pay off. So we have this Shippers Meme going around because of this.

My last historical fighting manga that I wished romance played a roll was Vagabond there is a girl but dude has no desire for anything but his sword.

Everything else that touches on romance in Japanese Manga are romances between tragic characters that should not be, i.e. Incest, Teach/Student or something to that level where the story becomes dark or very depressing.

Romance of Three Kingdoms timelines seem to fall into the tragic love theme to me so I tend to avoid it.

wonzo

Banned
biblia koshodou no jiken techou -

Surprisingly good. It really doesn't feel like the typical light novel adapt, despite (or perhaps dueto) being one of the most successful sales-wise in that medium. The two chapters track the mystery of a possibly fake, possibly authentic Souseki Natsume autograph, and the way it's told, even with the abundance of details about writers long-dead and relatively unknown here, was engaging stuff. Looking forward to more.

It's also moe.
Whoa, I had no idea the LN got a manga. I'll deff. have to check this out.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Touching and Deep is spot on for what I enjoy but most romance mangos are Tragic. Japan seem to love Tragic Dramas.

<snip>

Romance of Three Kingdoms timelines seem to fall into the tragic love theme to me so I tend to avoid it.

At the risk of sounding like a true fanboy of the Ryuuroden--well, I guess I am, hahaha---the romance between the main lead and his fated love is, I think, everything that you will really enjoy reading with all of its fluffyness, trials, tribulations, payoffs, etc etc.

It's deep and rewarding, and its seating comfortably at a spot that no mangas like KNIM or GE can ever hope to touch or even get a sniff at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom