• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Baby Steps 151 - Tsundere Class President Natsu? Hrm. As much as I'd normally probably be all over that, Nacchan is best outcome.

Also, poor Kageyama and the whole "I'll get a girlfriend before Ei-chan" prediction. On the bright side, you can pick up his scraps!

Baby Steps 151
Oh lawd, he is now able to calculate and let out as much pressure at will? And thank god for Natsu being Natsu and not some tsundere council president®

To be fair, he's picturing it as a page that he's actually erasing. In that context, it makes sense to be able to leave "20-30%" pressure.

7 Seeds 20-24

What a ride and what a wonderful showcase of the human nature.

I was hoping not to see Semimaru for a while, so his return was a bit of a bummer for me. It always felt like he got in the way of everything and was basically useless. It turns out that he had a good moment or two. I think I'm warming up to him.

The introduction of Team Autumn was pretty amazing. A bunch of intellectuals, turned hippie / dictators.

"Just for a little while I had forgotten that people can be cruel"

At first I was impressed when I saw the little village they build, including the fence, but when I found out that sex wasn't allowed and Summer B was the first group of people they saw since the catastrophe, it seemed so pointless. They're trying to preserve other languages, but refuse to breed and raise children, so they can pass the knowledge on. Instead they live to die. And get high. Congrats, I guess. Still, I can't wait to get back to them.

I was glad when Summer B moved on, mostly because I'm not a fan of vague hints and when Ran mentioned that they couldn't go to Kanto or at least not survive the way back, I obviously wanted to know what she meant. And then they finally got there and saw what she meant and discovered the potential danger (by pissing on it nonetheless).

I looked at the panels, remembered what Ran said about the rain season and then thought back to the last Team Spring chapters. I don't know why I didn't make the connection earlier, but when it finally clicked, I had to put the iPad away and laugh for a second.

The concept of a time skip between the teams wasn't that surprising. During the later Team Spring chapters, I was thinking how funny it would be, if Arashi and Hana were looking for each other, even though they're few years apart. Back then it was more of a joke and I don't know if they're weeks, months or years apart, but the manga taught me to keep things like that in mind, even if it seems silly at first. And it paid off!

Reading this manga is really fun.

Akito

In order to celebrate the finding of the last missing Jump cover, I decided to revamp the cover collection and roll out an HD remake with all the pics having their original res, there are even some additional contents as well. Still don't like the fact that you don't have proper sorting options on Minus.com but I don't want to pay for a premium account somewhere else either so yeah, this will still do.

http://akito-z.minus.com/uploads

Wait for the 4k remake in the future
... totally not

upandaway

And all I'm saying is he was surprised, whether because of Ymir being a titan or that titan is debatable. So we all cool.
You said the magic words, nothing else matters.

Baby Steps 151 @ scy and Akito

Does he really just imagine erasing the text, or is it just the visualization we (including him) get for it? It seems like he goes through the ENTIRE process of evaluating and considering each point and its consequences on his entire life every time, so it's not like he's just imagining a list as text. He puts the full pressure on himself, and the notebook list is just letting us skip the ordeal and him having an image of the source of pressure. We do know he's a visual kinda guy.

To "erase" would be things like.. "it's not a big deal because of x and y" or "i'll be fine even if x and y happened" or "x and y aren't gonna happen if I do this and that."
Basically he's really excited about Pokemon.
By the 20%-30%, I'm guessing he just means he stops doing whatever he's doing to "erase" them at a certain point, instead of going all the way.

Or it could be that he's really just imagining a list and erasing it which would be pompously silly.

Kurita

In order to celebrate the finding of the last missing Jump cover, I decided to revamp the cover collection and roll out an HD remake with all the pics having their original res, there are even some additional contents as well. Still don't like the fact that you don't have proper sorting options on Minus.com but I don't want to pay for a premium account somewhere else either so yeah, this will still do.

http://akito-z.minus.com/uploads

Wait for the 4k remake in the future
... totally not

XpdAu.gif

Dem Murata posters.

Akito

You said the magic words, nothing else matters.

Does he really just imagine erasing the text, or is it just the visualization we (including him) get for it? It seems like he goes through the ENTIRE process of evaluating and considering each point and its consequences on his entire life every time, so it's not like he's just imagining a list as text. He puts the full pressure on himself, and the notebook list is just letting us skip the ordeal and him having an image of the source of pressure. We do know he's a visual kinda guy.

To "erase" would be things like.. "it's not a big deal because of x and y" or "i'll be fine even if x and y happened" or "x and y aren't gonna happen if I do this and that."
Basically he's really excited about Pokemon.
By the 20%-30%, I'm guessing he just means he stops doing whatever he's doing to "erase" them at a certain point, instead of going all the way.

Or it could be that he's really just imagining a list and erasing it which would be pompously silly.
I think I have more problem with the fact that having 40% or 20-30% pressure left seemed to make a difference than him being able to erase precisely as much pressure as he wants. It just seems like such a fine line to me but what do I know, there are probably such crazy people like him.

scy

My assumption was he was listing the things that were pressuring him and then going through the process of internally calming himself down. Erasing it is the visualization of "to not think about it," or, "to not be weighed down by it." Hence why I can see how he goes too far when he erased all the pressure and also messed up.

So basically what you're saying, I think. The page that he's erasing is just a list of the things he's pressured by. He's erasing a page and gauging how "visible" the things on his list still are. He's not "solving what's pressuring him" but more adjusting how much those things weigh on his mind.

upandaway

Baby Steps

I think I have more problem with the fact that having 40% or 20-30% pressure left seemed to make a difference than him being able to erase precisely as much pressure as he wants. It just seems like such a fine line to me but what do I know, there are probably such crazy people like him.
I think it has more to do psychologically with the fact he's stopping at 30%, than the actual content of what that 30% is. Say I defined stopping at a certain point being 30%. Then say I stopped a bit earlier than that and defined it at 40%. And then, I instinctively felt that stopping at 40% was "too early" and it made me uncomfortable, like I left things fluffy in my head and rushed to game. I would mess up my serve too.

I can definitely get what he's saying, and I can see why the author would present it this way if he experienced the same thing feeling. Hell I might present it the same way, down to the percentages. There isn't any better way to put it really.

My assumption was he was listing the things that were pressuring him and then going through the process of internally calming himself down. Erasing it is the visualization of "to not think about it," or, "to not be weighed down by it." Hence why I can see how he goes too far when he erased all the pressure and also messed up.

So basically what you're saying, I think. The page that he's erasing is just a list of the things he's pressured by. He's erasing a page and gauging how "visible" the things on his list still are. He's not "solving what's pressuring him" but more adjusting how much those things weigh on his mind.
I just threw the examples out there, he could be co-opting the pressure points internally as well or something. My point is just that he's not REALLY just visually erasing the list in his mind when we see him do it, because that's just mango-flavored candy.

No offense against mango but y'know. Y'know.

scy

I just threw the examples out there, he could be co-opting the pressure points internally as well or something. My point is just that he's not REALLY just visually erasing the list in his mind when we see him do it, because that's just mango-flavored candy.

No offense against mango but y'know. Y'know.

Well yeah, he's not just visually erasing a list in his mind. I'm just saying it's a great way to visually indicate what's 10%, 20%, 30%, etc. and the whole idea of it.

Put differently, I guess the other way would've been showing weight lifting off of him but, given everything about Ei-chan, it makes the most sense that this would be best presented as something written down as if they were notes. So the visual indication that works best is handwritten notes being erased away to showcase removing pressure as opposed to the usual "weight off my shoulders" imagery.

upandaway

I don't even know why I always write so much about things only to have other people say "so basically we agree" every time. Why can't I ever get in an argument. You guys are unreasonable.

scy

Typing words makes me feel alive.

I like "arguments." Constructive ones, anyway. Really just like discussions in general, I guess. Makes me wonder why I stay away from WednesdayGAF a lot :x

In what way is this LESS AWKWARD than TWGOK? You do realize this is referred to AUNT Tits for a reason right?
The ruined bath scene with Naked near makeout outrageous sister event is way more awkward than anything in chp 1 of this Manga, and there was like no memorable best friend of sorts for the main character of twgok in chp 1 or 2 so it didnt provide anything pleasing in that regard.

TWGOK 215

Dat title name drop. Poor Elsie having to imitate Keima.

Shingeki no Kyojin 41

I hope that Ymir survives. I am wondering what Donkey Kong is up to.

scy

The ruined bath scene with Naked near makeout outrageous sister event is way more awkward than anything in chp 1 of this Manga, and there was like no memorable best friend of sorts for the main character of twgok in chp 1 or 2 so it didnt provide anything pleasing in that regard.

There was a friend?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I was at school today for bar prep and I parked pretty close to some car on the street to give other cars in front of me more room to park. When I came back after class to leave the really cute girl that owned the car was there and was saying that she thought I hit her bumper and messed up the paint (which I'm pretty sure I didn't). I managed to talk my way out of it by being nice about it, but the whole time I kept thinking about Molester Man and how I could turn this situation into a 2ch story.

scy

I was at school today for bar prep and I parked pretty close to some car on the street to give other cars in front of me more room to park. When I came back after class to leave the really cute girl that owned the car was there and was saying that she thought I hit her bumper and messed up the paint (which I'm pretty sure I didn't). I managed to talk my way out of it by being nice about it, but the whole time I kept thinking about Molester Man and how I could turn this situation into a 2ch story.

"GAF HELP HOW DO I CONVINCE MY WAIFU FOR THREESOME?"

I nearly feel like it's way too short. But maybe that's for the best.

I feel like some more time could have been spent on the two but the flashbacks and all covered bases pretty well. I like the premise a lot, though. Like, it could be used in a similar way to Sore wa Totsuzen, Unmei no Aite ga and have a lot of short arcs with that perverted pillow going around helping different couples/couples-to-be.

Kusagari

There was a friend?

A memorable friend at that!

I seriously completely forgot about him until DTL came in.

I don't even know why I always write so much about things only to have other people say "so basically we agree" every time. Why can't I ever get in an argument. You guys are unreasonable.

This thread is remarkably civil really. The only time we get any real heated arguments is with the Big 3.

Pyrokles

Neo Member
Baby Steps 151

I always love it when the mangaka shows a bit of the characters' past mostly in those 4-koma. In the earlier chapters I had been wondering since that one timeskip how and when Ei-chan started calling Natsu Nacchan and then we got a bonus chapter showing it. Imagining Natsu as a tsundere is so weird and I'm glad the mangaka changed her. The manga's tone wouldn't have felt as lighthearted and happy.

About the chapter itself, I found it an interesting and very Ei-chan idea to go about it that way. It just perfectly suits Mr. meticulous notes. And now Ide's friends are even saying they're betting on Nakama Power™.

I guess part of it has to do with the kind of manga you tend to write much about and the way you write about them. People who like Baby Steps for example probably don't tend to get into heated discussions about it because it doesn't leave much room for that kind of stuff.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Your opinion is factually wrong.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Wait, the MC of Aunt Tits has a friend?

Atredeus

Neo Member
Does anyone here read The Breaker New Wave?

I read it weekly. There's a whole lot of buildup, and a lot less payoff these days. Looks like we'll get some payoff in the near future, though.

I bought all of ZombiePowder today. I know it's unfinished, but how is it?

I liked it. Really similar to Trigun in feel, pretty much. And it just kinda... drops off, from what I remember. So it's unsatisfying, to say the least.

Well then look forward to their limited interaction every 3rd chapter, at best. He basically just pops in to creep on Aunt Tits from time to time, and get jealous of all the action the MC klutzes his way out of. I look forward to your disappointed reaction to the lack of yaoi every time he's on-panel though.

upandaway

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha ep1-2 & ch1-2

776XW.jpg

This is amazing (well, so far) and incredible and I love it. It is the best thing. Also it's great. I went into it super blind. It's really good. I can fill 2 buckets of joy with the joy I'm possessing right now. (and I mean 2 spiritual buckets of spiritual joy, and not the physical manifestation of it. that's just sexual innuendo what the hell.)

The manga goes a bit more in-depth (and I love that about it) but the anime feels a lot better. The only reason not to go with the anime would be that I love this so much that I really just want to marathon the available chapters right now. BUT that would bite me in an uncomfortable exposure later anyway waiting monthly. So anime it is. Also I really really like this. And the CG was fine, don't spread lies. And the queen was fine, better than the manga. It was all okay. No need to freak out. Both adaptions are okay.

So yeah uh, well. Thumbs up? Gunbo we finally like the same thing! What are the chances.

Also I had to edit this post about 10 times to remove all the parentheses and me being distracted. NO MORE. I'm tired of doing it so this is the mess you get. I'm too excited to be coherent anyway.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Pretty sure it has nothing to do with being allowed to and more to do with that making 19 pages in a week is already a death sentence. Of course, Togashi averages less than 19 pages a month and has the shittiest art out there so who knows.
Oh I know, which is what I'm saying. Imagine if they have all the time in the world to make the art that good.

Good point about togashi though.

Kimi no Knife 60

The happy ending draws ever closer. If the MC turns himself in at this point it'll be an utter letdown because you always go out guns blazing. He could learn a thing or two from the Anne Freaks guy.

Seishun Pop! 19

Largely lost interest with the breaks between releases, though if the shit his sister's dealing with turns out to be something entertaining it could win me back.

wonzo

Banned
TWGOK 215

twgok215.png

Me thinks this "shitty games" been starting to drag on for a bit too long.

Silver Spoon 63

delicious suffering for all involved!

Fairy Tail

Liked the Simon twist and overall was an enjoyable fight. Odds are Ezra won't lose in the end but so far it's been very close.

Ruroni Kenshin Final Arc

This arc was a lot better then the Shishio one, Enishi is a more interesting character, villain, and also a far better fighter and strategist. Sending Kenshin to a living hell via the "death" of Kaoru really was a stroke of genius. Kenshin's back story was well written and tragic and did help tie a lot of things together.

My favorite character is still Yahiko, his growth and development all the way up to the finale truly was the highlight of Kenshin for me (obviously the fights too). While it was nice to have Aoshi and Saito back for the finale it seemed like they were only there to stomp scrubs. Saito got a good finale to his story arc by refusing Kenshin's challenge but Aoshi after the emotional climax in the Shishio arc got no real development at all in the ending.

Overall I'd say Ruroni Kenshin was one of the most enjoyable manga I've read. Since last summer when I decided to really get into anime and manga again it's probably in my top 5 completed series.

The question is now though, what to read next lol. I have an interest in both Shaman King and Yu Yu Hakusho, but it's not like I haven't read/seen either series. I've seen/read quiet a bit of them over the years but never from start to finish. That being said a lot of post here have got me interested in reading TWGOK and there is still Toriko in my "I keep trying to get into it" list. Any thoughts ManGAF?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Shingeki no Kyojin 41

God the wait will be killing me. Discovering another titan/human, especially one who presumably knows a lot more about the condition unlike eren, should be pretty big news in the world of SnK. Hopefully this means shit is going down next chapter.

7 Seeds 25-26

It was obvious that the guy was Aramaki. Still, seeing him, Fubuki and Mitsuru again was nice. I guess I can't blame Summer B for being suspicious, after what happened with Autunm, but trying to sneak away was kind of shitty. I wish Natsu would grow some balls, she clearly felt sorry for him. And Aramaki should've slapped some sense into Arashi, he's getting pathetic. "Wa wa what's the point if I can't be with my loved one wa wa". Hey asshole, you're not alone.

Aramaki kept talking about getting rejected, so when he met Hana, my hopes of her and Arashi being further apart were kinda crushed. I don't want them to meet so soon. A bigger time gap, is that too much to ask for?

Fairy Tail

Liked the Simon twist and overall was an enjoyable fight. Odds are Ezra won't lose in the end but so far it's been very close.

Ruroni Kenshin Final Arc

This arc was a lot better then the Shishio one, Enishi is a more interesting character, villain, and also a far better fighter and strategist. Sending Kenshin to a living hell via the "death" of Kaoru really was a stroke of genius. Kenshin's back story was well written and tragic and did help tie a lot of things together.

My favorite character is still Yahiko, his growth and development all the way up to the finale truly was the highlight of Kenshin for me (obviously the fights too). While it was nice to have Aoshi and Saito back for the finale it seemed like they were only there to stomp scrubs. Saito got a good finale to his story arc by refusing Kenshin's challenge but Aoshi after the emotional climax in the Shishio arc got no real development at all in the ending.

Overall I'd say Ruroni Kenshin was one of the most enjoyable manga I've read. Since last summer when I decided to really get into anime and manga again it's probably in my top 5 completed series.

The question is now though, what to read next lol. I have an interest in both Shaman King and Yu Yu Hakusho, but it's not like I haven't read/seen either series. I've seen/read quiet a bit of them over the years but never from start to finish. That being said a lot of post here have got me interested in reading TWGOK and there is still Toriko in my "I keep trying to get into it" list. Any thoughts ManGAF?
might as well finish hakusho, it was kind of awesome later on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom