• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

When is the next One Punch Man chapter coming out?
The release schedule on the Japanese side was getting back to normal with weekly releases again until apparently it went pear-shaped (again). Chapter 22 was supposed to be out last Thursday but it's not, so English translation will probably be a little irregular with releases too.

Akito

Baby Steps
Nice dive Maruo, that was a great last point. I'm happy that the match's over but hopefully the releases will not slow down until we're caught up.

Stinky

Really odd that OPM is coming to Alpha (which it isnt called anymore .. cool that they "rebrand" it as all these features come out but it might be a bit confusing) since it isn't a Jump (or even shonen) series at all.

Still I think its a good idea for lesser known series to be put on there

Magi 169

Gotta respect this series for making opposite views which can both be seen as extreme, yet portrayed as correct, all in the same chapter. Actually makes me believe that Ohtaka understands the positives and negatives of this kind of stuff while not quite committing to a middle ground just yet. Kamijyo could learn a few things from her.

upandaway

Baby Steps 154

Hahaha, that Ide love square. That's amazing. The arm raise was great too.

I have to take back what I said about Ide not being a challenge after this. It looks like he'll be a regular now.

Does anyone remember who Maruo's next dude is? I somehow doubt it'll be as crazy as this match, but who knows.

scy

Baby Steps 154 - "I wonder how many times ... I'll get to hear this much cheering again?" foreshadowing that death/end of career finale

That Ide relationship chart, what.

Baby Steps 154

Hahaha, that Ide love square. That's amazing. The arm raise was great too.

I have to take back what I said about Ide not being a challenge after this. It looks like he'll be a regular now.

Does anyone remember who Maruo's next dude is? I somehow doubt it'll be as crazy as this match, but who knows.

The 11th seed is the most likely candidate if I recall the bracket (no other named players in that bracket); don't remember if they said anything since the bracket was first shown.

Mr. Fix

Just curious, but to those who have watched the Magi anime, what's wrong with it? I've seen distaste for it, and I was thinking about transitioning from the anime to the manga.

Steroyd

Just curious, but to those who have watched the Magi anime, what's wrong with it? I've seen distaste for it, and I was thinking about transitioning from the anime to the manga.

I can only say as someone who has read volume 1 vs it's equivalent episodes, but they sucked out the humour that was prevalent in the first bunch of chapters, they've rejigged where backstories are being told, so you end up not giving a damn about what's happening to who and why and end up being confused at certain characters motivations as a result, the only thing the anime has going for it at the moment is the fighting parts, which only episode 13 had enough of to cover all the cracks elsewhere.

I can only say as someone who has read volume 1 vs it's equivalent episodes, but they sucked out the humour that was prevalent in the first bunch of chapters, they've rejigged where backstories are being told, so you end up not giving a damn about what's happening to who and why and end up being confused at certain characters motivations as a result, the only thing the anime has going for it at the moment is the fighting parts, which only episode 13 had enough of to cover all the cracks elsewhere.

Is it as bad as Beelzebub?

That shit was a fucking travesty.

upandaway

I... didn't really..... like it. I stopped watching a couple of weeks ago because it hurt the great memories I have of the manga, and I didn't have fun despite the production values.

I'm sure everyone could say exactly why it's not that good but whatever. I'll just say that I really like the manga, and it's amazing and well worth reading on its own.

Stinky

I tried to think of a shoujo series I like which is very silly because I read almost NONE.

I read Orange (TAKANO Ichigo) and I'm planning to read NANA but thats about it.

EDIT: Checked my mangaupdates to see what genres are on my lists, but it only shows the top 3, which were apparently Seinen (thought I read more shonen) Drama (????) and Comedy (ok what)

Anything that has drama or comedy they tag Drama or Comedy I guess

Here is my lists n shit

It finds itself in an awkward position because manga fans aren't happy with how it's glossed over a lot of the opening (kind of like YYH anime but for the worse) and other strange story line changes for seemingly no reason. Anime fans aren't happy with how there is a lot of political drama in a series that seemed like it was a shonen fight adventure series.

That's what I've seen, personally I'm enjoying both it and the manga. Honestly I think the biggest thing that's hurting the anime is that it's only now getting to the part where the Magi manga went from being okay to freaking fantastic and even in this thread I've seen a lot of people who "gave up" on the manga right around where the anime is currently which is a shame because the manga continues to get better and better and I'd assume the anime will too.

Mr. Fix

I... didn't really..... like it. I stopped watching a couple of weeks ago because it hurt the great memories I have of the manga, and I didn't have fun despite the production values.

I'm sure everyone could say exactly why it's not that good but whatever. I'll just say that I really like the manga, and it's amazing and well worth reading on its own.

It finds itself in an awkward position because manga fans aren't happy with how it's glossed over a lot of the opening (kind of like YYH anime but for the worse) and other strange story line changes for seemingly no reason. Anime fans aren't happy with how there is a lot of political drama in a series that seemed like it was a shonen fight adventure series.

That's what I've seen, personally I'm enjoying both it and the manga. Honestly I think the biggest thing that's hurting the anime is that it's only now getting to the part where the Magi manga went from being okay to freaking fantastic and even in this thread I've seen a lot of people who "gave up" on the manga right around where the anime is currently which is a shame because the manga continues to get better and better and I'd assume the anime will too.

Manga it is. It sounds like there's too much of a difference between the two. Thanks, brahs.

@ the bolded: Looking forward to it!

Kurita

Haikyuu!! 36
Pretty cool chapter. The reactions after Shimizu's intervention were pretty funny.
There's not much to say. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Bakuman volume 13
What a great volume. The Super Lover Festa thing was interesting.
Hiramaru is one of the best characters of the manga. He's such a likeable dude. I was so happy when he asked Aoki out haha. The whole cast is so good, the interactions between the characters feel so... I don't know.
I just love this manga.

Haikyuu!! 36
Pretty cool chapter. The reactions after Shimizu's intervention were pretty funny.
There's not much to say. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Bakuman volume 13
What a great volume. The Super Lover Festa thing was interesting.
Hiramaru is one of the best characters of the manga. He's such a likeable dude. I was so happy when he asked Aoki out haha. The whole cast is so good, the interactions between the characters feel so... I don't know. I just love this manga.

The anime made him so hilarious and amazing. Oftentimes gives the most memorable moments in s3.

Akito

Hetakoi v4
That escalated quickly. Hey, what could possibly go wrong if you let the former love interest of your potential girlfriend stay at your place without her knowledge and on top of that your former love interest as well, who just broke up with her boyfriend.

Hetakoi v5
Everything that could have gone wrong did. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Stinky

Better than what? It's just a super slow version of the anime with some minor differences.

Yeah, I'm normally a manga guy but the Evangelion anime is much better, if only for the music. But I am interested in the omnibus. I read the manga so long ago and I do remember it being pretty good.

Lain

picked up these with the 4th volume on the way later this month

killingtrees3.jpg

You keep grabbing good stuff.
I've picked volume 4 earlier this month, it was really nice.

Pyrokles

Neo Member
Magi 169

Going by how she's been portrayed so far I thought I would feel the same way about Scheherazade as Mogamett, but she's surprisingly close to Aladdin regarding her views, except accepting harsher means (Titus). Now add some more grey into that please.

I've also now realized what a pain some names in this manga are as I've never written them before but I had to look up the correct (or rather used) spelling for both Scheherazade and Mogamett.

Baby Steps 154

Hell yeah, that was an awesome last point. Couldn't stop grinning once he landed that hit. Ei-chan's completely hooked on cheering now. I take back all my scepticism about a hypothetical Baby Steps anime. I wanna see this match and the victory animated and voiced.

lol at the relationship chart. before looking at the details it was obvious both girls would at least be interested in Ide to meet the quota.

foreshadowing that death/end of career finale

Don't even joke about that, THIS MANGA WILL END HAPPILY!
Lucky! Superfantastic!

Silver Spoon 63-64

Noooooo, Hachiken always suffering is bad enough already why Komaba too ;_; Harsh winter indeed.

Hachiken was awesome when he told Komaba off. I was still in denial before the last page but then Hachiken raised my hopes. Please put the suffering on hold until Komaba is back.

Pyrokles

Neo Member
Hayate 391

Poor NPC A. Hayate's harem power was just too much for him.

Poor NPC A, he never stood a chance. Fumi chapters are the best filler chapters.

You consider that filler chapters with Hayate? I mean, aren't most chapters filler then. With its main focus on comedy I don't think there can even be filler chapters unless inserted in the middle of the plot-focused parts. But since we're barely getting those...

And she should appear more often with Isumi they seem to fit together well. I really liked the football commentary.

dumbyugi

Hayate 391

Poor NPC A. Hayate's harem power was just too much for him.

You consider that filler chapters with Hayate? I mean, aren't most chapters filler then. With its main focus on comedy I don't think there can even be filler chapters unless inserted in the middle of the plot-focused parts. But since we're barely getting those...

And she should appear more often with Isumi they seem to fit together well. I really liked the football commentary.

This chapter was inserted in the middle of plot-focused parts so it is filler. I'm not complaining though, I love these types of chapters.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Silver Spoon

Suffering, bacon and shouting.

Suffering Level: 7.

Akito

Hetakoi v6
Can't wait to see Komai dumping Shimazu because he'll ultimately end up with Ruka anyway... well it looks like she knows exaclty what to expect of this platonic relationship so I'm ok with this. It probably her who will break up with him anyway.

Hetakoi v7
Well, it was him begging at the end but that was her intention from the start so yeah, that still counts. What catastrophe will occur now to prevent Komai and Ruka coming together, I'm dying to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom