• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truth is power levels ( hate that phase ) in OP hard to judge by groups .
It more about match ups and circumstance when it comes to certain characters .

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Truth is power levels ( hate that phase ) in OP hard to judge by groups .
It more about match ups and circumstance when it comes to certain characters .

Pretty much this. Enel would wreck pretty much everyone and yet he couldn't do shit to Luffy. OP is more about the match ups than the power levels.

Mr. Fix

I highly doubt it, that's not how they've been hyped. Let's not forget that Akainu stopped dead in his tracks when Shanks confronted him at Marineford. This is Akainu who has no fucks to give. He was like NOPE NOPE NOPE.

True, but it's definitely not impossible. At ranged, wouldn't Akainu have the advantage? Though he was also caught off guard. He had no trouble at all facing WB face to face, and he was supposed to be the strongest. In your favor though, Shanks' haki is supposed to be op as fuck, so I guess it'd make sense.

Pretty much this. Enel would wreck pretty much everyone and yet he couldn't do shit to Luffy. OP is more about the match ups than the power levels.

While Enel is super strong i am certain he can't wreck a good amount of characters even worst now that Haki comes into the mix .

Bossun

While Enel is strong i am certain he can't wreck a fair amount of character even worst now that Haki comes into the mix .

They knew Haki, at least one of them. Also he did have an elemental power making him on the same plan as Ace and Smoker at least. His power could have been on par with Aokiji or Akainu's one.

Cajun

Neo Member
True, but it's definitely not impossible. At ranged, wouldn't Akainu have the advantage? Though he was also caught off guard. He had no trouble at all facing WB face to face, and he was supposed to be the strongest. In your favor though, Shanks' haki is supposed to be op as fuck, so I guess it'd make sense.

We don't know if range means ANYTHING to Shanks' power. We know literally nothing other than his haki is ridiculous, and his sword skills are impressive, even with one arm. I would say power greatly differs yonkou to yonkou, let alone different groups. I don't think Akainu could take a yonkou by himself, especially considering, like Whitebeard, Big Mom and Kaidou have very large crews (this is assuming the smile army works for Kaidou. We know Big Mom has a large crew, but very little about Kaidou). This also leads me to believe, in a 1 on 1 fight, Shanks or Blackbeard would demolish Big Mom or Kaidou.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Let's not turn this into a "OP is sooooooo above the standard <3" lovefest.

We group because this is shonen, and grouping by power is fun...that's all there is to it. There's gonna be variability everywhere. Oda's ability and creativity with the powers he gives his character is above average, is all. And by Average, I mean LOLKUBO LOLKISHIMOTO

Also, the only metric by which we have to judge a Yonkou is Shanks. And using that, I'd say that they're stronger than anyone else we've seen. As the main breh Ignis said, GIVENOFUCKS Akainu was shitting molten rocks when Shanks showed up.

Mr. Fix

While Enel is super strong i am certain he can't wreck a good amount of characters even worst now that Haki comes into the mix .

Stepping outside of the manga/show, he technically could. They wouldn't be able to touch him, at least. He'd probably be able to chuck lightning from a great distance. Obviously stuff like this wouldn't really happen because it'd be too boring to see.

Big One

Banned
I think you're guys are misconcepting shit. Power levels =/= what group you're in.

Of course a lot of positions does have to do with what kind of power you have, in terms of hierarchy it's less about shonen power and more about political power. Obviously each group has their own level of power over the One Piece world. I mean did you guys even pay attention to the Whitebeard War arc? Characters of all sorts of groups (or lack there-of) went toe-to-toe with each other.

I mean do you guys really see that group of old guys, the most politically powerful group in One Piece, being more powerful than characters like Enel and Whitebeard? No, not really (even though Oda can make them be so).

There isn't really power-levels in One Piece, for the most part all the characters in the series get stronger as the series goes on which allows the idea of power be really blurred. There are exceptions obviously but it's not like it's a constant thing. All the characters in One Piece are pretty ridiculously powerful.

I think people seriously underestimated how dangerous Enel was. Until Whitebeard, I don't think we'd seen anyone with an ability that was as frightening. This includes the Admirals. They had big effects, but to me, Enel took shock and awe to a different level, not to mention the fact that he enhanced his Haki (mantra) with the power of his devil fruit. Dude was a MONSTER.

As far as actual power levels go, I don't think there's a scale, but to say that someone is stronger than someone else simply by virtue of their title doesn't seem to be how this series works. Mihawk and Shanks had duels in the past, and despite Shanks not losing any power or ability from losing an arm, he stopped dueling with him because of it.

tl;dr We won't know till we see people fight at full strength.

The guy can restart his own heart and has control over Haki as well, he wasn't just some scrub with an awesome power.

All true but thanks to haki the big boys would give him a good fight .
I mean Rayleigh could just cut him apart , Akainu what could Enel do to him remember he did not show any offense haki .

Stepping outside of the manga/show, he technically could. They wouldn't be able to touch him, at least. He'd probably be able to chuck lightning from a great distance. Obviously stuff like this wouldn't really happen because it'd be too boring to see.

Well Kizaru would have beat if want to step out side manga/show .

Cajun

Neo Member
Go for 7 Seeds.

EDIT: Also try Kagoneiro. From the same artist that made Onani and MM.

Just mentioning that it's the same author got me excited.

Let's not turn this into a "OP is sooooooo above the standard <3" lovefest.

We group because this is shonen, and grouping by power is fun...that's all there is to it. There's gonna be variability everywhere. Oda's ability and creativity with the powers he gives his character is above average, is all. And by Average, I mean LOLKUBO LOLKISHIMOTO

Also, the only metric by which we have to judge a Yonkou is Shanks. And using that, I'd say that they're stronger than anyone else we've seen. As the main breh Ignis said, GIVENOFUCKS Akainu was shitting molten rocks when Shanks showed up.

Considering we're not comparing OP to other series currently, you're just bringing about meaningless hatred. And I ask...why?

Mr. Fix

Just mentioning that it's the same author got me excited.

Considering we're not comparing OP to other series currently, you're just bringing about meaningless hatred. And I ask...why?

Guys, be cool.

Also because fuck FGT Ichigo/Aizen/Madara/eye-hacks/Naruto power levels.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I mean Rayleigh could just cut him apart , Akainu what could Enel do to him remember he did not show any offense haki .

Dude's pure electricity. Hard to wave a sword at someone channeling lightning down it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What would be interesting to discuss is trying to figure out which guy is stronger than which guy without the devil fruits.

Because often it feels like the power levels in One Piece directly correlates to whether you are lucky enough or not to get your hands on a powerful devil fruit or a weak one.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Well Kizaru would have beat if want to step out side manga/show .

I think Rayleigh could take him, but we have to remember Enel was super specialized when it came to Haki (the foresight one). Any fight against Enel would come down to if he could get a big hit in and stop the other guy's heart. We don't know if Haki can defend against something like that, we may have gotten an explanation of Haki but there's still a bunch we can only assume.

Mr. Fix

Seriously though, it'd be pretty awesome if the Kenpachi's could wreck Aizen/FGT Ichigo. Didn't they hint at their strength?

All this talk about power levels in One Piece... I honestly think even Oda don't know for sure about all that, hahaha.

Truth is i think Oda knew he had to have a logia equalizer which is why we have Haki .
Logias just to broken and if he had to have there weakness near by all the time it would be boring or stupid .

Dude's pure electricity. Hard to wave a sword at someone channeling lightning down it.

Seeing how fast some people move in the OP world and they also have foresigh it won't be that hard .

Bossun

What would be interesting to discuss is trying to figure out which guy is stronger than which guy without the devil fruits.

Because often it feels like the power levels in One Piece directly correlates to whether you are lucky enough or not to get your hands on a powerful devil fruit or a weak one.

I'd say Shanks, Mihawk and Raylegh are way up there as they don't seem to have any devil fruit for now and still compete with the crazy powerful ones.

Sanji and Zoro might be good too, but still under Mihawk for now.
In pure strength zoro might be one of the best seeing how he lift building and wathever. Fuck lifting 300 lbs, that's for pussies.

Okama dude seemed crazy strong too.

Cajun

Neo Member
I think Rayleigh could take him, but we have to remember Enel was super specialized when it came to Haki (the foresight one). Any fight against Enel would come down to if he could get a big hit in and stop the other guy's heart. We don't know if Haki can defend against something like that, we may have gotten an explanation of Haki but there's still a bunch we can only assume.

I think it's a complete misconception that Enel's haki was extremely good. He lost to a person as slow as Luffy pre-Enies because his concentration broke, and he couldn't see Luffy coming. It was stated that Enel's Mantra could reach over most of Skypiea, and hear people's voices because he combined it with his lightning abilities. I'd chalk that up to his DF abilities, not his haki. IMO, his haki was average at best.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Seriously though, it'd be pretty awesome if the Kenpachi's could wreck Aizen/FGT Ichigo. Didn't they hint at their strength?
I feel like there's a lot of times where characters in Bleach could kick ass but they didn't because:

1) They're lazy fucks
2) ICHIGO MUST PREVAIL
3) Kubo says "Shit man I want to wait to make this reveal COOL" so he waits and has them not do it; admittedly, this happens a lot in One Piece and Naruto too, but in Bleach even moreso considering the cast.

It's always #2. Fuck that shit.

Like Shunsui, where is ol' boys Bankai?

This new (or rather, old) Unohana would murder Aizen.

Superpower Lottery!

But yeah, people who are naturally strong without their fruits or without a fruit at all seem to definately have an edge. Rokushiki users, Luffy and Ace (Garp Training) Zoro (Mihawk training), Sanji (Black leg style), ect.

One of the cool things about Devil Fruits in One Piece is that it's all in how you use them. I think that's part of the reason it's so fun to read/watch. Luffy's use of the Gomu Gomu no Mi to do things such as Gear Second and Third were really unique and creative. As silly as Haku's fruit made him look, he used it in such a way to greatly amplify his destructive power.

<3 One Piece

If Haki can stop a earthquake shock it won't suprise if it can stop a lighting attacks .
But as you said we need to find out more about haki since eg someone could harden there body to stop attacks or make them less powerful .

Mr. Fix

I feel like there's a lot of times where characters in Bleach could kick ass but they didn't because:

1) They're lazy fucks
2) ICHIGO MUST PREVAIL
3) Kubo says "Shit man I want to wait to make this reveal COOL" so he waits and has them not do it; admittedly, this happens a lot in One Piece and Naruto too, but in Bleach even moreso considering the cast.

It's always #2. Fuck that shit.

Like Shunsui, where is ol' boys Bankai?

This new (or rather, old) Unohana would murder Aizen.

Pretty much why I dislike Ichigo. He kills the potential of the rest of the cast. What about Urahara/Isshin though? My memory's ass when it comes to these things, but were they holding back any during FKT? I find it odd, since they've been hyped too. I want this final arc to be redemption for the rest of them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If Haki can stop a earthquake shock it won't suprise if can stop a lighting attack .
But as you said we need to find out more about haki since eg someone could harden there body to stop attacks or make less powerful .

It did take all three admirals to do it though. We're going to need another haki infodump at some point, or to see it against more unique powers.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Enel, as he was, really wouldn't stand a chance against the big shots. Haki nullifies his electricity, fuck his heart being brought back. Mihawk would cut his fucking heart out before Enel knew what hit him. If Luffy pre-timeskip (hell, pre-Enies Lobby) was too fast, I'm sure someone like Mihawk would cold cut his ass before he could say "Hahahaha".

Mr. Fix

Enel, as he was, really wouldn't stand a chance against the big shots. Haki nullifies his electricity, fuck his heart being brought back. Mihawk would cut his fucking heart out before Enel knew what hit him. If Luffy pre-timeskip (hell, pre-Enies Lobby) was too fast, I'm sure someone like Mihawk would cold cut his ass before he could say "Hahahaha".

Does haki nullify abilities? I thought that was just BB's DF. I think it just allows you to touch the physical form of the user, even if they use their abilities to split.

Yep.

Enel is strong, but he can probably be beaten easily by Kizaru even. Dude has the speed of light.

Bossun

Pretty much why I dislike Ichigo. He kills the potential of the rest of the cast. What about Urahara/Isshin though? My memory's ass when it comes to these things, but were they holding back any during FKT? I find it odd, since they've been hyped too. I want this final arc to be redemption for the rest of them.

Well almost everyone got forgotten in bleach too.
We see Hime from time to time or hear about her healing ability.
Sado, the supposed "to become part of the main castteam" character, has a weak ass useless power and he is weaker than the Sauce's charisma. Hell, the character is useless and almost inexistant by now.
There was something "special" about Ichigo classmate stoo, but eh, who even remember their names?

Ishida is the most relevant on these kind of characters and was supposed to be Ichigo rival, but he comes after every damn shinigami. Though I guess he'll have an important role in this arc.

Admiral level is like one step below Yonkou. They're not there yet.

Not necessarily true for all yonkou. We have only seen Whitebeard, that does not mean that all the Yonkou are at his level. No one in the manga at his level so far. It could well be that admiral=each of the other yonkou, except Blackbeard.

Cajun

Neo Member

Yup. That's why I don't see Enel coming back as a villain. I can see him having importance close to the end of One Piece, but besides that, I don't see it.

The fight between Luffy and Enel is a good example of match-ups in OP though.

It did take all three admirals to do it though. We're going to need another haki infodump at some point, or to see it against more unique powers.

I really wish Oda would show us the Akainu vs Aokiji fight would be good to see two top level DF and Haki users go at it .
But i guess that would spoiler certain stuff still i hope he does .

Edit before i forget there is no way Unohana is going to die with out us seeing her bankai .

I'm more interested in seeing what happens when Luffy finally becomes Yonkou. He vowed to make Fishman Island his territory so that's totally going to happen, and any Yonkou is going to need a big fleet. It's fitting considering that Luffy has a talent for making allies wherever he goes.

Mr. Fix

Not necessarily true for all yonkou. We have only seen Whitebeard, that does not mean that all the Yonkou are at his level. No one in the manga at his level so far. It could well be that admiral=each of the other yonkou, except Blackbeard.

Thank you.

It's possible that condensed crews like Shanks and BB are known for their strength, while some of the bigger ones are regarded with size and power (though not on the individual level of strength of Red Hair and BB pirates). That's likely to change though, especially if there's an army of DF users in one crew. It wouldn't really matter to pros like Benn Beckman, but if we're talking fodder vs fodder (anyone who isn't a Captain) then crews like Big Mom would probably take it.

I'm pretty sure FGT Ichigo would push both of their shit in simultaneously.

He was hilariously OP with that ability, which was pretty much the point; make him so retardedly strong that he could whoop Aizen's ass after all the ridiculous hype Aizen had. Kubo finally decided to end that arc but Ichigo was nowhere near strong enough to legitimately take down Aizen, thus lolFGT.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Well almost everyone got forgotten in bleach too.
We see Hime from time to time or hear about her healing ability.
Ishida, the supposed "to become part of the main cast team character", has a weak ass useless power, hell the character is useless and almost inexistant by now.
There was something "special" about Ichigo classmate stoo, but eh, who even remember their names?
Your examples here don't really apply.

Ishida has been slightly-important, more important than the other 'friends'; but you can be 100% sure that he is going to be important as hell in this arc.

It was established from the beginning that Ichigo rolls solo because he is simply a class above them when it comes to his abilities and powers. He has friends, and he cherishes them, but they are just don't have a place in Ichigo's world. He advanced at such a pace that it was only natural for them to fall behind. Whether or not you agree with the quality of the treatment here is one thing.

The only real thing that used to stump me was Orihime's powers. But then I realized that they aren't underutilized either. A lot of the characters in Bleach are brimming with pride to a fault. Most of them would never use Orihime's ability to reverse events in a closed space for the sake of their ineptitude in battle. Any other time, she healed everyone else. And if it weren't for healing, it was because someone intelligent (Aizen) was trying to use it for his own good, or at least, fronting like he was. I feel that Kisuke would find a way to use it, but he won't, because to use Orihime would be to lose Ichigo's trust, and that is counterproductive for him.

Retcon: You changed your post completely with that retcon; nullifying my post for the most part. BooThisMan.gif

No it would not. It would be crap if a mindless character like Kenpachi with 0 depth so far to be the strongest character. Besides Juha Bach would wreck all of their shit.

I'm pretty sure FGT Ichigo would push both of their shit in simultaneously.

He was hilariously OP with that ability, which was pretty much the point; make him so retardedly strong that he could whoop Aizen's ass after all the ridiculous hype Aizen had. Kubo finally decided to end that arc but Ichigo was nowhere near strong enough to legitimately take down Aizen, thus lolFGT.

FGT Ichigo was so broken it was beyond funny , if he fought in SS he would destroy it after a few sword slashes .

Ishida has been slightly-important, more important than the other 'friends'; but you can be 100% sure that he is going to be important as hell in this arc.

It was established from the beginning that Ichigo rolls solo because he is simply a class above them when it comes to his abilities and powers. He has friends, and he cherishes them, but they are just don't have a place in Ichigo's world. He advanced at such a pace that it was only natural for them to fall behind. Whether or not you agree with the quality of the treatment here is one thing.

The only real thing that used to stump me was Orihime's powers. But then I realized that they aren't underutilized either. A lot of the characters in Bleach are brimming with pride to a fault. Most of them would never use Orihime's ability to reverse events in a closed space for the sake of their ineptitude in battle. Any other time, she healed everyone else. And if it weren't for healing, it was because someone intelligent (Aizen) was trying to use it for his own good, or at least, fronting like he was. I feel that Kisuke would find a way to use it, but he won't, because to use Orihime would be to lose Ichigo's trust, and that is counterproductive for him.

Retcon: You changed your post completely with that retcon; nullifying my post for the most part. BooThisMan.gif

Stat you got Aizen what you saw was not real lol .

Bossun

Yeah corrected my post for Ishida, just confused him with Sado (edit : See I even forgot the name of the goddamn character...).
Sorry I Aizened you.

For the rest I don't agree.
My opinion is just that Kubo forget about them or just leave them behind because they are uninteresting characters and he got bored with them.
First of all he couldn't do anything with Sado's power seeing as it is shit.
Hime was supposed to be the safeguard/love relation of Ichigo, but nobody cares about that, hence she lost all significance.
She could have been interesting with Aizen, but nothing came out of it.

Cajun

Neo Member
I'm more interested in seeing what happens when Luffy finally becomes Yonkou. He vowed to make Fishman Island his territory so that's totally going to happen, and any Yonkou is going to need a big fleet. It's fitting considering that Luffy has a talent for making allies wherever he goes.

Fishman Island is pretty much already Luffy's territory, because Neptune was saying he wanted it that way. Luffy may never even become Yonkou, we have no idea yet. The way Luffy's character is, he will probably be named a yonkou by the people living in the new world, but never consider himself one. It depends on how he views the position, which could go either way. He hates yonkou like BB and BM, but greatly admires Shanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom