• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much why I dislike Ichigo. He kills the potential of the rest of the cast. What about Urahara/Isshin though? My memory's ass when it comes to these things, but were they holding back any during FKT? I find it odd, since they've been hyped too. I want this final arc to be redemption for the rest of them.

No, Ichigo does not kill the potential of anyone as we have seen and we are seeing right now.
It´s really simple, everyone was under Aizen´s hypnosis that´s why they could not go all out against him. Everyone forgets what happened to Momo. That could happen to everyone of them if they went all out. Ichigo was not under Aizen´s hypnosis even though there´s a panel where it makes doubt this for future interactions. The panel i´m talking about is the one where Aizen shows Ichigo the Hogyouku in his body. At that moment Aizen holds the sword like he does when he hypnotize people.

Mr. Fix

I can accept the reason for the Kenpachi's not going all out during Aizen's massacre. I wonder what excuse Kubo would give for Ishida though, since he's seemingly really powerful.

I'm more interested in seeing what happens when Luffy finally becomes Yonkou. He vowed to make Fishman Island his territory so that's totally going to happen, and any Yonkou is going to need a big fleet. It's fitting considering that Luffy has a talent for making allies wherever he goes.

I wonder about this.

I don't ever see Luffy with a huge crew. It doesn't seem like his style. Wouldn't his infamy alone be enough to keep Fishman Island protected without being one of the Yonkou? I don't think controlling part of the New World really holds with his theme of being free spirited.

Monet for Nakama. :p

Edit: Where are you guys getting these amazing anime avatars?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
FGT Ichigo was simply a premature achievement of potential. It wasn't really too much of an offense, looking back on it.

It's like seeing Luffy when he's strong enough to defeat an admiral, but walking around right now.

It's like seeing Naruto in his current mode...when he came back from his 2.5 year training with Jiraiya.

It's apparent that these main characters are going to reach a plateau unheard of in the context of the worlds. With Bleach, he introduced it then for reasons we don't know about yet (well, that and the fact that he fucked up with the treatment of Aizen's power level in relation to everything else). It was known from the beginning that Ichigo had ridiculous and extraordinary potential/strength within. All of Bleach has been about Ichigo finding that power within, not really about training to actually get stronger. On the surface, most of Ichigo's training is just MOAR TRAINING but the majority of it is him doing some pseudo-psychological bullshit - not physically buffing up or learning new techniques. So yeah. That's my 100 cents on that. DEEP.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Man, this recent Unohana's exposition really make me excited towards Bleach much more than I can say towards Naruto or One Piece currently.

Hopefully Kubo can sustain it to the end.

I can accept the reason for the Kenpachi's not going all out during Aizen's massacre. I wonder what excuse Kubo would give for Ishida though, since he's seemingly really powerful.

Uryuu and Kenpachi were in Hueco Mundo, how would they even fight Aizen? By the time Aizen was caught, Kenpachi, and Byakuya were just done with Yammy. Besides Aizen can nullify almost all the attacks because they have way weaker riatsu than he does.

Man, this recent Unohana's exposition really make me excited towards Bleach much more than I can say towards Naruto or One Piece currently.

Hopefully Kubo can sustain it to the end.
Kubo will now just skip the fight, and kill or incapacitate Unohana off panel :p

Mr. Fix

It's like seeing Luffy when he's strong enough to defeat an admiral, but walking around right now.

It's apparent that these main characters are going to reach a plateau unheard of in the context of the worlds. With Bleach, he introduced it then for reasons we don't know about yet (well, that and the fact that he fucked up with the treatment of Aizen's power level in relation to everything else). It was known from the beginning that Ichigo had ridiculous and extraordinary potential/strength within. All of Bleach has been about Ichigo finding that power within, not really about training to actually get stronger. On the surface, most of Ichigo's training is just MOAR TRAINING but the majority of it is him doing some pseudo-psychological bullshit - not physically buffing up or learning new techniques. So yeah. That's my 100 cents on that. DEEP.

Luffy will never be da bess. It just wouldn't make sense. His haki levels will never surpass Shanks' for example. Strength won't surpass WB's, and speed not on par with Enel/Kizaru. That's the main difference. It just means he gets to play with the big boys now, of which there are a lot of.

Uryuu and Kenpachi were in Hueco Mundo, how would they even fight Aizen? By the time Aizen was caught, Kenpachi, and Byakuya were just done with Yammy. Besides Aizen can nullify almost all the attacks because they have way weaker riatsu than he does.

Aside from Aizen, didn't Ishida have his fair share of battles? I don't think he roflstomped those. Perhaps it's a locked potential thing, but mayneee.

First of all he couldn't do anything with Sado's power seeing as it is shit.
Hime was supposed to be the safeguard/love relation of Ichigo, but nobody cares about that, hence she lost all significance.

Still annoys me how they got relegated to shit after all that talk and build up in the full bringer arc. One of the reasons that arc was lame as hell.

FGT Ichigo was simply a premature achievement of potential. It wasn't really too much of an offense, looking back on it.

It's like seeing Naruto in his current mode...when he came back from his 2.5 year training with Jiraiya.

Gon did the same shit also in HxH but instead of the entire body rotting Ichigo just lost everything.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Also, I don't think FGT Ichigo could defeat Yama. You're all measuring Ichigo by Fluttershy-Aizen. But looking back at that, it wasn't like Aizen was invincible. He was cut by Hollow Ichigo's GT. Gin fucked his shit up. Yama was confirmed stronger and Aizen had to run away from Yama's shikai blast. It wasn't Aizen's strength, it was simply the fucking Hogyoku that kept fucking bringing him back. Technically, FGT Ichigo didn't defeat Aizen either. Ichigo already lost his power and the goddamn Hogyoku was bringing Aizen back. If it weren't for Kisuke, that was game over right there. Aizen+Hogyoku was defeated by Kisuke's intelligence/creativity, not by Ichigo's strength.

And considering that, Ichigo really isn't that high tier. I mean, he's strong, but that's it. I mean really, when he arrived on the scene at the war, what the fuck did he do? He didn't do shit, he got punk'd by Bach and got his zanpakto destroyed by Beanpole in an instant. I think people psychologically think that FGT Ichigo is the current Ichigo that is and always has been. Nope. Ichigo sucks right now. He could get beat by a lot of people. He could in the FKT arc too. He had a momentary and epic jump in power but that was all. And not even that could get the job done alone.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Kubo will now just skip the fight, and kill or incapacitate Unohana off panel :p

I will be very pissed off if this happens and the worst part is, I can actually picture him doing just that.

Just like I think maybe why Oda skipped the Aokiji vs Akainu fight; if he did show it then all the fights afterwards will look lame compared to it (they are already lame as they are right now)

But for Unohana I don't care; show it all off Kubo!

Mr. Fix

Technically, FGT Ichigo didn't defeat Aizen either. Ichigo already lost his power and the goddamn Hogyoku was bringing Aizen back. If it weren't for Kisuke, that was game over right there. Aizen+Hogyoku was defeated by Kisuke's intelligence/creativity, not by Ichigo's strength.

Technicality and deception are powerful agents to the uninitiated.

C'mon, stat. I wouldn't rule out Urahara though, and yes he did help.

Aside from Aizen, didn't Ishida have his fair share of battles? I don't think he roflstomped those. Perhaps it's a locked potential thing, but mayneee.

Uryuu won fights against Mayuri and Circci Thunderwitch by a large margin. He also fight well with Szayel, but that guy´s science, much like Mayuri, is very hax. In this arc, Opie says that Uryuu has a huge potential.

Technicality and deception are powerful agents to the uninitiated.

C'mon, stat. I wouldn't rule out Urahara though, and yes he did help.
It´s true. Ichigo did not defeat Aizen, since he lost his powers before knock Aizen out.
I will be very pissed off if this happens and the worst part is, I can actually picture him doing just that.

Just like I think maybe why Oda skipped the Aokiji vs Akainu fight; if he did show it then all the fights afterwards will look lame compared to it (they are already lame as they are right now)

But for Unohana I don't care; show it all off Kubo!
I´m still very pissed at Kishimoto for not showing me a pissed off Kakashi.
Also, I don't think FGT Ichigo could defeat Yama. You're all measuring Ichigo by Fluttershy-Aizen. But looking back at that, it wasn't like Aizen was invincible. He was cut by Hollow Ichigo's GT. Gin fucked his shit up. Yama was confirmed stronger and Aizen had to run away from Yama's shikai blast. It wasn't Aizen's strength, it was simply the fucking Hogyoku that kept fucking bringing him back. Technically, FGT Ichigo didn't defeat Aizen either. Ichigo already lost his power and the goddamn Hogyoku was bringing Aizen back. If it weren't for Kisuke, that was game over right there. Aizen+Hogyoku was defeated by Kisuke's intelligence/creativity, not by Ichigo's strength.

And considering that, Ichigo really isn't that high tier. I mean, he's strong, but that's it. I mean really, when he arrived on the scene at the war, what the fuck did he do? He didn't do shit, he got punk'd by Bach and got his zanpakto destroyed by Beanpole in an instant. I think people psychologically think that FGT Ichigo is the current Ichigo that is and always has been. Nope. Ichigo sucks right now. He could get beat by a lot of people. He could in the FKT arc too. He had a momentary and epic jump in power but that was all. And not even that could get the job done alone.
No. FTG Ichigo and Transcendent Aizen were above all others that no one could even feel their massive riatsu. Yamamoto has nothing on those 2. Besides Isshin>Yamamoto. Hell, he flicked Aizen with his middle finger while Yamamoto tried a suicide technique to get rid of Aizen.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

I dunno. Unohana was shocked to learn the level of his potential strength when they were heading back from HM.

Ichigo's always been strong. It's his Charlie Brown personality that usually holds him back.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I dunno. Unohana was shocked to learn the level of his potential strength when they were heading back from HM.

Ichigo's always been strong. It's his Charlie Brown personality that usually holds him back.
Yeah, but she was probably shocked because her expectations were low. The last time she truly saw him was when he got bitched with one finger by Aizen. And now she's told that the same person is their only hope against Aizen, I'm sure her expectations were very low, thus the shock at the extraordinary growth since then. Still, I don't think he's that strong. If he fought Shunsui right now, he'd get his ass handed to him. And that's just Shunsui.

Akarui Sekai Keikaku, aka Bright World Project, aka Battle Royale Smut

yz7FC.png

Hey guys what do you think her power levels are?

It's such a shame that a premise with this much potential is wasted on a series with such crappy execution as this one. When I heard the synopsis, I immediately thought "there's no way this can fail to deliver." How wrong I was.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Yeah, but she was probably shocked because her expectations were low.
I doubt it. More likely Ichigo at half strength was about average captain level.

She also thought Ichigo could take Aizen after he explained how he was at half strength, so she must've had a sense that Ichigo was probably equal to or greater than Aizen at that time.

I don't think he's that strong. If he fought Shunsui right now, he'd get his ass handed to him. And that's just Shunsui.
Shunsui'd be a terrible matchup for Ichigo. A lot of how strength is resolved in Bleach is by way of focus and will. (Kinda like haki.) If Ichigo doesn't really see a reason or point to a fight or he gets distracted by some other issue etc, then he sucks ass.

That's why Gin gave up while trying to fight Ichigo.

If he's focused, then he's stopping things with the power of one million zanpakuto's with just a shikai and one shotting vice captains.

Yeah, but she was probably shocked because her expectations were low. The last time she truly saw him was when he got bitched with one finger by Aizen. And now she's told that the same person is their only hope against Aizen, I'm sure her expectations were very low, thus the shock at the extraordinary growth since then. Still, I don't think he's that strong. If he fought Shunsui right now, he'd get his ass handed to him. And that's just Shunsui.

I don't think anyone thinks he is any where near as strong as he was back then in FGT mode.
Still i expect him to get back there soon .

I doubt it. More likely Ichigo at half strength was about average captain level.

She also thought Ichigo could take Aizen after he explained how he was at half strength, so she must've had a sense that Ichigo was probably equal to or greater than Aizen at that time.

And that was before he got his power up so he was even stronger afterwards .

I really wish Oda would show us the Akainu vs Aokiji fight would be good to see two top level DF and Haki users go at it .
But i guess that would spoiler certain stuff still i hope he does .

Edit before i forget there is no way Unohana is going to die with out us seeing her bankai .

What do you guys think her Bankai does?

I'm guessing since her shikai heals, her bankai could give her instant regeneration.

Or instead erodes the other person's cells.

upandaway

No relations to cajunator. I've just been using the name Cajun for everything for the past 8 or so years (XBL, other forums, etc.) And by doujins, I mean unserialized short series. Serialized manga of good quality are normally animated, so I would probably already know the story, as I've watched tons of slice of life romances.

Of course, manga that have been animated are still great recommendations if you believe the manga is without a doubt superior.
Wow wow wow wow wow! You don't want to say that, man! It's dangerous.

I don't have anything to recommend based on what you ask for, but here are some unrelated stuff:
Yotsuba& because you said the bolded above
Onepunch-man just because of the overlap between OPM fans and fans of other manga you liked (even if they're not really similar)
If you watched Kaiji seasons 1 and 2, read Kaiji Part 3! It's finished and it's awesome, and who knows when/if it'll get animated.

I wonder about this.

I don't ever see Luffy with a huge crew. It doesn't seem like his style. Wouldn't his infamy alone be enough to keep Fishman Island protected without being one of the Yonkou? I don't think controlling part of the New World really holds with his theme of being free spirited.

Monet for Nakama. :p
I can see Luffy's crew gaining a "crews of crewmembers" structure.
For one, each crewmember has the dudes who helped him during the 2 years, they're all pretty solid
Jinbei, if he joins for real, has a real crew going around too
etc etc

As in, people who don't sail with them but are still there for plot usage if anyone ever needs them.

Hunter X Hunter Greed island arc

Every time i watch an episode of an arc, than i have to read the whole arc. The arc is brilliant, and the dodge ball section is better than most sports manga that i have read. The art though, the damn shitty art....

Bring back HXH soon please.

GG-Duo

I would imagine that One Piece's endgame would involve Luffy having an army of all his friends from previous islands. It's the only way.

By the way, how come everybody in this thread has a pixel art avatar? I want one too :(

upandaway

Hunter X Hunter Greed island arc

Every time i watch an episode of an arc, than i have to read the whole arc. The arc is brilliant, and the dodge ball section is better than most sports manga that i have read. The art though, the damn shitty art....

Bring back HXH soon please.
I really really really like game settings and GI is my favorite one by far. It was really amazing. So far the anime is doing a really good job and it's the arc that needed that the most, so that's pretty great.

Stat Flow are you watching it?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

I'm guessing since her shikai heals, her bankai could give her instant regeneration.

I wonder if her Shikai really heals at all. It could just be carrying that healing spring water in its belly.

RagnarokX

I don't think anyone thinks he is any where near as strong as he was back then in FGT mode.
Still i expect him to get back there soon .

And that was before he got his power up so he was even stronger afterwards .

Ichigo will probably start firing zanpakuto arrows from a bow made from his shinigami badge after his mom teaches him Quincy arts after revealing she faked her death to go into hiding.

It probably heals her opponents so she can keep fighting them.

Cajun

Neo Member
Wow wow wow wow wow! You don't want to say that, man! It's dangerous.

I don't have anything to recommend based on what you ask for, but here are some unrelated stuff:
Yotsuba& because you said the bolded above
Onepunch-man just because of the overlap between OPM fans and fans of other manga you liked (even if they're not really similar)
If you watched Kaiji seasons 1 and 2, read Kaiji Part 3! It's finished and it's awesome, and who knows when/if it'll get animated.

Yeah I tried to add the word "normally" to show that there's a good amount of exceptions, but apparently I didn't get that point across. :/

And I've got OPM on my to-read list.

Bossun

Ichigo will probably start firing zanpakuto arrows from a bow made from his shinigami badge after his mom teaches him Quincy arts after revealing she faked her death to go into hiding.

It probably heals her opponents so she can keep fighting them.

LOL.

You make a big mistake if you think Kubo or Ichigo will think of anything else outside of Getsuga Tenshô.
That would be a dramatic change in the serie, highly improbable.

Best bet is getsuga tenshô arrow.

To me that just makes Ichigo more annoying though. Half the time when he does do something seemingly "amazing" it's because of a near-copout-ish increase in strenght and ability, and as far as I can tell he's treated as a "Saviour"-ish character in the eyes of many of the other crew.

This just means we get all the annoying and bad parts of an OP protagonist. (hero-worship, taking the spotlight, boring powerups) But at the same time this is combined with the constant feeling like the protagonist's a weak-sauce, emo-esque nobody who keeps failing at pivotal moments cause of seeming strenght reduction.

I really don't get the appeal of Ichi's jo-jo power level at all, and eventhough it's true that he's often not actually the big saviour that solves everything, he sure seems to get treated like it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
That´s Naruto. Relax Unohana won´t die literally. The translations are not that clear, and even if they were clear i would say that her old personality dies, and not physically.

That's a common trope though and one that is not employed by Naruto only. One Piece does it too.

I just hope she can play a great part in future battles. It's been a while since we get a legitimately uber-powerful female character in the Big 3... heck, I don't even remember the last time we get one, definitely not in Naruto or One Piece.

RagnarokX

LOL.

You make a big mistake if you think Kubo or Ichigo will think of anything else outside of Getsuga Tenshô.
That would be a dramatic change in the serie, highly improbable.

Best bet is getsuga tenshô arrow.

I was just trying to think of the most idiotic plot development possible, because knowing Kubo he'll probably defy the lowest expectations. Kishi, too, I suppose. I mean, he made it possible for a sharingan tank to be a preferable development to what he actually came up with.

Wait, why is Unohana fighting Kenpachi? I thought she's supposed to train him or something.

How else would you propose training Kenpachi? Give him a manual and ask him to read?

wonzo

Banned
Idol Pretender 1-3

Man, this is like AKB49 but with the crossdressing replaced with an actual genderswap and the SHOUNEN HAATO replaced with all kinds of smut. It's great!!!

Centaur's Worries 19-20

centaurw20.png

2cute4me *clenches chest*

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Idol Pretender 1-3

Man, this is like AKB49 but with the crossdressing replaced with an actual genderswap and the SHOUNEN HAATO replaced with all kinds of smut. It's great!!!

Huh.

I apologize for saying this, but the art looks terrible. Especially compared to AKB49.

Oh, so the other two Trigun Maximum Ominbus's aren't even out yet in English? Oh well, now I'm excited to pick them up day one. Yay.

Where do you guys buy your manga? I see a few digital stores above, which I might look into, but physical is nice as well. Thinking of just using Rightstuf and Amazon if I can't find something in my local bookstore.

I buy from Amazons since Amazon prime and lower prices. I did rightstuf for BLue Exorcist since they sell bundles sometime, however they charge a bit much for non usps shipping. Hate usps cause they throw my packages litrally from the street to my front door.

dumbyugi

isnt to love ru darkness shounen? how are they getting away with this.....stuff? cause its monthly?

It's in Jump SQ which is a monthly shounen magazine. The magazine is aimed more towards teenage boys rather then the younger boys Weekly Jump is aimed at so they probably encourage it because it would help drive sales.

Haikyuu!! 38

Aobujousai (sp?) is missing some key duo, you know how Nekoma had kuroo and kenma, so its hard to really like the team more than them, though tooru is kind of cool.Shaving with excrement and hinata/kageyama were the best parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom