• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrokles

Neo Member
It'd be great if someone could recommend a doujin along the lines of MM/Onani that are of such high quality. Of course, serialized series are fine to, but I've probably watched them in animated form if they were popular enough to be animated.

I can't recommend any doujins since Molester Man is the only one I've read, but other than that I second upandaway's Yotsubato! and Antiwhippy's Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer recommendations and add Baby Steps, Vinland Saga, Shingeki no Kyojin and Silver Spoon. They're not based on what you're already reading, just some series I like that don't have an anime adaptation yet (Silver Spoon and Shingeki no Kyojin should both get one in spring IIRC).

I really really really like game settings and GI is my favorite one by far. It was really amazing. So far the anime is doing a really good job and it's the arc that needed that the most, so that's pretty great.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the new Hunter X Hunter anime is my favorite shonen adaptation by far, though I wonder what they will do once they are done with the ant arc. Filler hell until Togashi has finished another arc after 10 years or ending it there to continue later?
I rather talk about the HxH anime here, since only about 3 or 4 people watch and talk about it in AnimeGAF and that thread's moving way too fast for me beyond reading from time to time.

Silver Spoon 65

I feel like there was a subliminal message hidden somewhere, but I'm not sure what it is. And I wanted to have some crabs by the time I finished the chapter.

Hachiken will use his knowledge of chemistry to become Japan's leading producer of methamphetamine.

Who will be Jesse and Gus?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Goodnight Pun pun 121

So god and pun pun finally merged as one. It's also interesting how pun pun's goal, what drove him through this insanity, turned out to be so shallow.

I knew it was a depressing series going in, but the sheer insanity of it is surprising and pretty damn engrossing. Also thinking back about it now it's pretty amazing how organic the development of pun pun's character, and how well pun pun's inner darkness grow.

Now I need to go lay down for awhile.

scy

Kimi no Sei - I apparently stopped reading two chapters before the end (well, three but the final chapter isn't really relevant to the main pair). Go figure. Overly dramatic.
Kidnapping arc at the end was kind of dumb

Kimi no Sei - Kizuato - Not sure what the point of this is, honestly. After the drama from Kimi no Sei, not sure what bringing in a past guy will really do.

Why is this a sequel anyway and not just ... Chapter 10?

Cajun

Neo Member
Yamada and the 7 Witches 1-44

I like the relationships between the characters in this manga. Unlike a lot of school life manga, there really aren't any relationships that are just painful to watch. Yamada and Shiraishi (who I assume Yamada will end up with in the end) are actually pretty fun to watch.

The manga also has some pretty funny moments, but all the kissing gets old after a while.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Silver Spoon 65

Hachiken manning up and coming exceedingly close getting the girl and still having a Suffering level of 5 or 6 in the same chapter after this occurs.

Yu Yu Hakusho Dark Tournament

Fights were great all the way around though I have seen most of the later ones thanks to the anime. I know the next arc has the "best" villain in the series so hopefully he lives up to the hype.

Steroyd

Nah. But, have they announced that they're doing the Chimera Ant arc? If they are, I'll jump on at that moment. For sure.

I'll be amazed if they didn't, they had the silhouettes of the Hunters who first appeared in the Chimera Ant arc in episode 1 of the anime.

Wiseblade

Agreed. GI arc was just too much fun.

iRLfCrCESsjkD.gif

Stinky

Yamada and the 7 Witches 1-44

I like the relationships between the characters in this manga. Unlike a lot of school life manga, there really aren't any relationships that are just painful to watch. Yamada and Shiraishi (who I assume Yamada will end up with in the end) are actually pretty fun to watch.

The manga also has some pretty funny moments, but all the kissing gets old after a while.

Haha, I just came here to make the same post! I'm almost caught up but I am really loving this manga. The characters are all great, gotta love Miyamura. I get all warm and fuzzy inside whenever Shiraishi smiles

EDIT: I'm actually at v14 of Hunter x Hunter, just started Greed island. I was going to start reading that again next.

Cajun

Neo Member
Solanin 1-3

Antiwhippy was right, this manga is extremely relatable. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Haha, I just came here to make the same post! I'm almost caught up but I am really loving this manga. The characters are all great, gotta love Miyamura. I get all warm and fuzzy inside whenever Shiraishi smiles

Yup, Shiraishi's smiles get me every time.

GG-Duo

Agreed. GI arc was just too much fun.

I wouldn't use the word "fun". But it was really well-done. Although I rolled my eyes when it went into detailed explanations about the cards, I thought the Bomb Devils' revelation was sickening and pure evil.

Togashi is an evil genius.

Beelzebub

You know, Beelzebub is pretty good at starting off battle arcs. Like, I'm pretty intrigued right now by the three new freshmen, and battling for the top of Ishiyama is always fun. It's just that I know things are going to disappoint in the long run.

I wouldn't use the word "fun". But it was really well-done. Although I rolled my eyes when it went into detailed explanations about the cards, I thought the Bomb Devils' revelation was sickening and pure evil.

Togashi is an evil genius.

That was the best part of the arc tbh since Togashi came up and wrote all of that LOL.

Too bad the cards didn't get much use other from being collection fodder.

GG-Duo

That was the best part of the arc tbh since Togashi came up and wrote all of that LOL.

Too bad the cards didn't get much use other from being collection fodder.

I can see that. Togashi can get obsessive about certain topics, just like his explanations about auctions during an earlier arc. I tolerate and even appreciate stuff like that even though I don't read it. It's the reason why I both read Liar Game and skip over 40% of it.

Kurita

Haikyuu!! 38
Can't wait for the match.
I think my favourite thing in sports mangas is the crowd with all the side characters watching the game and commenting everything.

Cajun

Neo Member
Do most people not think this?

I haven't read past GI because I found it incredibly boring, and it turned me off of HxH. I think the depth the game was given was fantastic, but the way the arc played out was slow imo. The final part of the arc was good (dodgeball, gon v. bomber, etc.), but I felt the pay-out didn't justify the build-up. It's probably because I've never been a fan of training segments smack in the middle of arcs.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Going to class, but if anyone doesn't mind posting a random recommendation, I'll read the first manga posted in response to this once I get back.

Hopefully nothing too horrible!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Every mangaka who doesn't write fast enough has no assistants. Same way that George R.R. Martin doesn't have any editors whenever books don't come out fast enough.

Angry Grimace

George RR Martin's books are also like 3 times as long as most other authors.

The point is that he has lots of editors, people just claim he has none whenever they're expressing dissatisfaction with the speed of his writing. Same with people claiming Kubo has no assistants and therefore doesn't draw backgrounds (its a stylistic decision) or Miura/Togashi don't have assistants (they take a lot of time off).

Naruto

I swear you guys hate on this series because it's the NeoGAF way or something.

Happy to see it's back. It was slightly corny with the power distrobution system Naruto did but cool nonetheless. Was happy to see what conversations and last words transpired between Ino and Shikamaru. Sucks that his dad had to die... he was a pretty awesome character.

Sauske jealousy was pretty cool. I wonder why they are simply walking and not running.

Good chapter overall.

Bleach

Ichigo and Renji are kind of having a retread of all the stuff we've seen earlier with the Zampaktous. A little boring.

Cool seeing the Kempachis duking it out although... how is Eye patch Kempachi supposed to learn from her at this rate?

Average chapter but nice art throughout.

Kusagari

Everything surrounding Togashi is hearsay.

I wish the Japanese media was as annoying at digging into people's lives as the American media. We would at least have some details then.

I wish the Japanese media was as annoying at digging into people's lives as the American media. We would at least have some details then.

They don't even need to dig. Just ask the man why he's taking over a year off!

If I were SJ, I'd have something, anything, any little piece of information to give HxH fans to let them know their series author is still alive. The complete lack of anything is kind of crazy. It shouldn't have to be complicated.

Green Blood

Brad Burns? Really?

I don't need to know about his private life to know he's a bad person.

If I were SJ, I'd have something, anything, any little piece of information to give HxH fans to let them know their series author is still alive. The complete lack of anything is kind of crazy. It shouldn't have to be complicated.
Didnt he just do a one shot and the newly announced movie

Dude apparently checked out the new anime, did a one shot, and preparing for a movie (which the one shot was for) so he's around. He's basically placing the series on the back burner until those things are dealt with

Going after dat paper first i guess.

Cajun

Neo Member
Solanin ch 9

For a manga about depressing subject material regarding the meaningless nature of typical society, this story is oddly uplifting. It's inspired me to write some music, something I haven't had the urge to do in quite a while.

Akito

Smash ch54-168 (end)
Even though the badminton part got a little better the romance part took some steps backwards, regarding the main couple at least, goddamn I hated the third wheel senpai. Not only they had to maintain a long distance relationship for most part of the series, they even broke up at one point for some arbitrary reason only to get back together right at the end.
All in all this was quite a forgettable experience. the series will probably only be of interest to some badminton fanatics but even then they might be disappointed by the sketchy portrayal of the sports.

Jintor

Solanin ch 9

For a manga about depressing subject material regarding the meaningless nature of typical society, this story is oddly uplifting. It's inspired me to write some music, something I haven't had the urge to do in quite a while.

I didn't really read it as that

wonzo

Banned
Sweet Alien 3.1-3.2

quite literally an "Attack of the sexy siblings." goddamn

Not Popular 34+v3 Omake

The mystery of the dog suit... finally unveiled???
possible lesbian with a crush?!!!?? :yurigoggles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom