• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I don't care what magazine it was in! FMA is a shonen in the same way that Lord of the Rings is a mass media sensation!

...shit

seriously though not enough stupid bullshit tournament arcs and crazy power levels, too many plot threads actually resolved and tied into a single overarching story that gives indications of being planned out hella beforehand in a satisfying way

Also probably the best (literal) character growth I've ever seen. You don't even notice Edward maturing through the series but if you compare the first chapter with the last you're like WOAH

Atredeus

Neo Member
Also probably the best (literal) character growth I've ever seen. You don't even notice Edward maturing through the series but if you compare the first chapter with the last you're like WOAH

Neji?... I'd say both characters tended to "grow" and look more mature with the refinement of the author's art style.

Unfortunately the mangaka of FMA has a lot to learn in order to be author of best shonen manga, in fact, the queen of shonen manga herself, Katekyo Hitman Reborn's Akira Amano, wrote the best shonen action manga (KHR), it actually has good power ups, loveable and awesome characters, deep and enriched plot, well drawn characters and actions, and amazing portrait shots of characters and accessories.

Amano is one of the worst writers and offenders in Shonen. In the daily life arc, Tsuna was a guy who gets bullied, shitty at school, shy with girls, and he did not want to be a mafia leader, and the last chapter he still the same but he has friends now. What a load of shit. Tsuna not changing one bit is one of the worst things in manga that i have ever read.

FMA is still the best shonen manga ever. No insane power ups, awesome characters, great plot, well drawn fights, amazing art etc... I could go on.

manga also never drags or has a shitty arc, pacing was just spot on.

It's extremely impressive that Arakawa was able to go from a top tier battle manga to a top tier slice of life about farming.

Steroyd

BUt one could say the same for Naruto but with even more shocking changes and Tsuna, and even Natsu Dragneel.

Natsu? Changes? HAHAHAHA!

Sorry.

Natsu hasn't changed one lick since chapter one, the same could be said with Tsuna, heck the manga ended how it begun.

Naruto is a weird case, he's never changed his views from the start, which makes him get progressively worse no matter what crap keeps getting thrown at him and the obvious is there.

Even Luffy hasn't really changed.

Piecake

Sorry.

Natsu hasn't changed one lick since chapter one, the same could be said with Tsuna, heck the manga ended how it begun.

Naruto is a weird case, he's never changed his views from the start, which makes him get progressively worse no matter what crap keeps getting thrown at him and the obvious is there.

Well, to be fair, Luffy doesnt really need to change. And is probably too stupid to change

Kurita

Unfortunately the mangaka of FMA has a lot to learn in order to be author of best shonen manga, in fact, the queen of shonen manga herself, Katekyo Hitman Reborn's Akira Amano, wrote the best shonen action manga (KHR), it actually has good power ups, loveable and awesome characters, deep and enriched plot, well drawn characters and actions, and amazing portrait shots of characters and accessories.
What am I reading.

Shouta

Your logic baffles me. But I suppose that's nothing new.

He's just trying to troll you, I wouldn't worry.

Those Who Chase the Ageha 1-18 (END)

This Bud's for you, Female Sniping Medic.

A (framed) criminal who is a Master of Disguise does her Carmen Sandiego impression while being chased by a collection of morons. Entertaining and humerous, if unexceptional read that started promisingly, trailed away in the middle but largely righted itself at the end. The exposition surrounding the main plot point (i.e. who the actual criminal was) was generally awful, but the series was just as much about Ageha's deceptions so it didn't detract that much from the overall experience.

Incidentally, MAL says this was the 500th thing I've read.

Centaur's Worries 21

Those dastardly Antarcticans and their dastardly UFOs.

Ageha was a little disappointing in that it didn't go anywhere like it should have but it was quite amusing for what it was and I really liked Ageha herself. Those Who Hunt Elves is still Yagami's best work as it as all of his usual elements and doesi t amazingly well most of the time. It's getting another official sequel manga that's starting in a week or two.

bigkrev

How could anyone hate FMA? No filler, no tournaments, no power ups, no fluff, just a tight, well told story with great characters and a great world!

I think the most radical change are Sasuke and Gaara

Well, to be fair, Luffy doesnt really need to change. And is probably too stupid to change

What a ridiculous thing to say. Luffy most definitely needs to change especially after all the hardship that he endured. Lack of character development is bad regardless of how you put it.

How could anyone hate FMA? No filler, no tournaments, no power ups, no fluff, just a tight, well told story with great characters and a great world!

I don´t hate it. I just don´t think it´s as great as people say. And no i am not saying that because i am being a contrarian or anything. No power ups huh? Just a dumb cop out at the end that got Al his body back, and he defeated father with his bare hands. And training arcs are good because it´s better to know where the power ups comes from instead just ass pull at last second.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think the most radical change are Sasuke and Gaara

What a ridiculous thing to say. Luffy most definitely needs to change especially after all the hardship that he endured. Lack of character development is bad regardless of how you put it.

I don´t hate it. I just don´t think it´s as great as people say. And no i am not saying that because i am being a contrarian or anything. No power ups huh? Just a dumb cop out at the end that got Al his body back, and he defeated father with his bare hands. And training arcs are good because it´s better to know where the power ups comes from instead just ass pull at last second.

Dumb cop out? It played into the whole thing. If you want something you need to put in equal effort, Ed giving up his door played right into the central theme of the story!

Nisekoi 58

RURI CHAPTER EVERYONE STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND GO READ IT

Edit:

63056451wj5s.jpg

She was this close to wrapping the whole show up. Shuu's position would be admirable if it wasn't for the fact that in this world, it doesn't matter whether you work up the courage to confess because you will be interrupted, or the other person won't hear you, or they'll misinterpret it, or they'll promptly suffer a catastrophic head injury and forget what you told them afterwards, or a meteor will strike the earth and extinguish all traces of humanity, or whatever.

Dumb cop out? It played into the whole thing. If you want something you need to put in equal effort, Ed giving up his door played right into the central theme of the story!

How convenient that Ed found that out at the last second. And how convenient that Ed got his hand back even though he got his brother´s body. The last exchange was anything but equivalent. Ed got 2 things and he gave up one thing. Apparently Ed is the biggest genius since he was the only one who figured that out the second door even though there were so many people who are much older, and much more experienced had suffered for the exchange, like Izumi, and no one could figure out the second door.

Piecake

I just think that it wouldn't really fit well with the light-heated, goofy, weird, sometimes serious tone of One Piece. Having Luffy deal with emotional issues and then turn into a less oblivious, more serious person would just be ODD. I'm mostly fine with One piece characters, because while they definitely lack character development, they definitely are dynamic, unique, weird with odd personality traits. I think that works well with the overall tone of One Piece

What needs to change is the overall story structure of the manga. Going from Island to Island, solvings its problems and beating up an increasingly powerful bad guy is just getting stale. I thought that would/could have changed in the new world, but I was wrong

As for Naruto, I havent watched/read that in a LONG time, but if Naruto is still pining after Sasuke, then there definitely needs to be some character development in that area, because that situations demands it. Either Sasuke needs to change and become best buds with Naruto, or Naruto needs to change and realize his life long love isnt worth it

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How convenient that Ed found that out at the last second. And how convenient that Ed got his hand back even though he got his brother´s body. The last exchange was anything but equivalent. Ed got 2 things and he gave up one thing. Apparently Ed is the biggest genius since he was the only one who figured that out the second door even though there were so many people who are much older, and much more experienced had suffered for the exchange, like Izumi, and no one could figure out the second door.

No one else had the second door. It was because of the original transmutation of their mother, since they both used their blood and did it together they were linked. It's part of why Ed was so short and slept so much. Ed got his hand back when Al sacrificed his soul because that's what Ed originally gave up when he bonded Al to the armor. It's like you are purposely ignoring plot points. It's not the greatest series, but it's internal logic is consistent and there are no real lose ends.

Cwarrior

jojo ch109

you can say that Again double what the fuck.

I don't care what magazine it was in! FMA is a shonen in the same way that Lord of the Rings is a mass media sensation!

...shit

seriously though not enough stupid bullshit tournament arcs and crazy power levels, too many plot threads actually resolved and tied into a single overarching story that gives indications of being planned out hella beforehand in a satisfying way

FMA is a shounen Manga learn to live with it and stop pathetically running from the truth.

FMA is still the best shonen manga ever. No insane power ups, awesome characters, great plot, well drawn fights, amazing art etc... I could go on.

manga also never drags or has a shitty arc, pacing was just spot on.

I love FMA it's a great manga but doesn't compare to stuff like Hunter x Hunter.

Does anyone remember the ending/final act of fma? *face palm* what huge disappointment for something so great to end like that :(

I hope the others shounen mangas have better sense to have better final act in their endings or I would be one sad Aku.

The final fight between Ed vs Father was really bad. I though fma was above that sort of thing sadly not( power up bare hands+ villain decay).

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Haki isn't like power ups in other shonen like ki for example, though it does act like one. I think since Oda likes to pretty much give an explanation, haki is his reason why Luffy is so goddamn good at what he does. On paper Luffy should've lost to every opponent he's faced, but he doesn't, and there's never been quite a clear explanation for that (and most of the time in shonen manga, it isn't ever explained).

Just like when Ichigo tried to cut Kenpachi and he got cut instead since he didn't increase his focus enough.

I don't think anyone claiming that Fairy Tail is superior to FMA in any way can be taken seriously.

In order to understand the post :
I stealth edited my joke because I didn't want to enter in the argument, but I basically joked about how DTL is dead serious about what s/he writes :)

Kekaishi 1-3

Quite interesting. I like the dynamic between the character. The characters also have funny interaction between. The premise has been done before but i will give it a shot because i´m really liking the interactions between the characters.

Kekaishi 1-3

Quite interesting. I like the dynamic between the character. The characters also have funny interaction between. The premise has been done before but i will give it a shot because i´m really liking the interactions between the characters.

It's not bad, but ultimately not great imho. Didn't like how it ended nor the last arc.

It's not bad, but ultimately not great imho. Didn't like how it ended nor the last arc.

I don´t read most manga for the plot. Character interaction is very important to me with regards to manga. Art is another thing. The art is relatively good, which is also very important to me. There´s plenty of room for development of the character which is also very important. I guess the whole animosity between the families will play a bit on the comedic side for a long time, which i don´t really mind as long as it does not get stale.

Lain

The Breaker New Waves 102

Why do I keep doing this to myself? I need to just let it build for a bit and then read, because like this it's just an agony.
As far as the content of the chapter itself, it was a cool beginning for a comeback, though someone will have to stop him before he goes completely to the "dark" side. I only hope i happens after he break some of those assholes legs and before he slaps Jinnie again.

Molester Man 6-9

Looks like the Kansai route is going along nicely. The Trunks panel was hilarious, had to actually stop reading for a minute because of it. Loli is such a tease, major points to Molester for actually having the dignity to keep it down and say no.

He did totally blew his chance though.

The Breaker: New Waves 102

We'll at least the MC is finally doing something. Did not like it when he tried to hit Jinnie though.

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia 39

She is going to die in the next 2 chapters, maybe 3.

Amano is one of the worst writers and offenders in Shonen. In the daily life arc, Tsuna was a guy who gets bullied, shitty at school, shy with girls, and he did not want to be a mafia leader, and the last chapter he still the same but he has friends now. What a load of shit. Tsuna not changing one bit is one of the worst things in manga that i have ever read.

I dont think that is really addressing character change and development. We started reborn with no good tuna who couldn't do nothing and one who had to have guidance from Reborn in order to win, then now in the final arc we saw that he had matured so much that he could, not only think of a winning strategy, but implement enough, and with enough confidence and proof that he was competant in his skillset, to win over the other mafiosa leaders, their respective guardians, and ultimately, even surprise Reborn. He may still not be that smart and what not, but to say that he has stayed the same isnt really all that fair. He is definitely worthy of being the neo vongola primo and has the skills, and maturity for it.

Sorry.

I think Natsu has shown that he has changed at least mentally but often doesnt put what he learns into practice. Natsu often just rushes into things without thinking but then learned that this is not really how he should approach things, he learned this when he fought against Gildarts in the recent Tenrou Island arc while he was crying.

Steroyd

I think Natsu has shown that he has changed at least mentally but often doesnt put what he learns into practice. Natsu often just rushes into things without thinking but then learned that this is not really how he should approach things, he learned this when he fought against Gildarts in the recent Tenrou Island arc while he was crying.

No he hasn't shown he's changed mentally, he still ran head first into Sabertooth's HQ all alone.

It's like saying Luffy's mentality has changed since the Marineford arc, just because he got a hole blown through his chest.

scy

My favorite part of the growth from FMA was the end-game chapter with Winry noticing Ed's physical growth: He's now taller than her.

I've still yet to go back and reread to check for that kind of growth in height throughout the manga though.

Niserage cause Fake Rage is a quite poetic title

But the rage is real!
For some, anyway

Status Koi works pretty well too.

Hahaha, yes. I think I'll be using this one from now on.

Dynedom

The Breaker New Waves 102

Why do I keep doing this to myself? I need to just let it build for a bit and then read, because like this it's just an agony.

I think I'm going to do this now. The build ups on this manga constantly kill me. They're such quick reads too.

wonzo

Banned
Hantsu x Trash 9

hantsutrash9.png

So his "special weapon" pretty much was his dick in a roundabout way. lmao

Centaur's Worries 21

I love how it fleshes out the world with the tidbits on all the political things happening across the world.

AKB49 106

Yoshinaga making a mess of things as usual.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hantsu x Trash 9

hantsutrash9.png

So his "special weapon" pretty much was his dick in a roundabout way. lmao

Centaur's Worries 21

I love how it fleshes out the world with the tidbits on all the political things happening across the world.

AKB49 106

Yoshinaga making a mess of things as usual.

Is she grabbing his dick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom