• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not unless your experiences with shonen are highly limited

I was being sarcastic, if I was to be serious though I don't like comparing on going series like OP and Naruto to finished series and I do enjoy Naruto even if it's my least favorite of the big 3.

Yu Yu Hakusho Sensui Arc

Well damn Sensui was hyped and for good reason, his character and arc lived up to the billing. It really is impressive how Togashi can fit such complete and satisfying arcs into such a small amount of chapters. If I had to complain it'd be that the other 3 main characters didn't get much of a chance to do anything outside of Kurama (4 if you include Genkai as a main character). I seem to be a sucker for "game" type challenges because it's always nice seeing our characters in situations where they can't just punch/nakama power there way out of.

Not really sure where a final arc goes though, we do have the plot line with Yusuke's demon father though I can't say I'm too excited for it. The whole "Yusuke is part demon thanks to extremely delayed genes" was a pretty ehh twist to explain how Yusuke could be Sensui. Sensui succumbing to his illness and losing due to that would have worked better then the s-class demon stunt.

I don't think that's quite the case. But either way, this chapter was just a "Let's show you how everyone looks after a time skip", and answered nothing. So many loose ends here. Ah well, still better than the ending to Neji or KHR.

A rushed ending is the worst fate that can befall a manga. I shudder to imagine what that would look like for my favorites.

Skypeia and Thriller Bark are the only good arcs in One Piece.

I can see Skypeia, but Thriller Bark?

Well most manga i read now i try to wait until they finish so if the ending bad it don't hurt as much.
For something i reading for a long time to end rush or bad would hurt , lucky for me that has not happen yet .

bigkrev

I was being sarcastic, if I was to be serious though I don't like comparing on going series like OP and Naruto to finished series and I do enjoy Naruto even if it's my least favorite of the big 3.

Yu Yu Hakusho Sensui Arc

Well damn Sensui was hyped and for good reason, his character and arc lived up to the billing. It really is impressive how Togashi can fit such complete and satisfying arcs into such a small amount of chapters. If I had to complain it'd be that the other 3 main characters didn't get much of a chance to do anything outside of Kurama (4 if you include Genkai as a main character). I seem to be a sucker for "game" type challenges because it's always nice seeing our characters in situations where they can't just punch/nakama power there way out of.

Not really sure where a final arc goes though, we do have the plot line with Yusuke's demon father though I can't say I'm too excited for it. The whole "Yusuke is part demon thanks to extremely delayed genes" was a pretty ehh twist to explain how Yusuke could be Sensui. Sensui succumbing to his illness and losing due to that would have worked better then the s-class demon stunt.

I loved this arc, up until the ending. Sure, Hiei was a forgotten man through most of the arc, but otherwise I think its the high point of the series. I HATED the ending of it though. It seems so rushed and out of nowhere- you would have thought this would have come to attention sometime between his death and rebirth in the beginning of the series. If i'm King Yamma, why the hell would I let my son ressurect such a dangerous being?

Don't matter. It's still excellent manga with lousy ending. Only few questions remained tho.

Anyone who thinks Cage of Eden is excellent should go read 7 Seeds.

Cage of Eden is what happens when someone decides to write a Lost-like manga but gets sidetracked by boobs.

Well most manga i read now i try to wait until they finish so if the ending bad it don't hurt as much.
For something i reading for a long time to end rush or bad would hurt , lucky for me that has not happen yet .

mx0 :(

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Anyone who thinks Cage of Eden is excellent should go read 7 Seeds.

Cage of Eden is what happens when someone decides to write a Lost-like manga but gets sidetracked by boobs.

I disagree.

Cage of Eden is what happens when someone decides to write a manga about boobs but gets sidetracked by Lost-like shenanigans.

Nurarihyon no mago deserves better, goddamnit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Man, the end boss is going to be ridi--wait, three chapters later? Really?

Felt robbed how fast the growths happened to be able to take on the top tier of Wise.

Yea, another two or three months and it would have been just fine. It's still good, just it could be better.

I dont know, even a non rushed ending can still be bad. Some endings feel like the writer just gave up and was bored with the series wanting to move to something else.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Well then the post apocalyptic/island mystery boobs manga should have gone seinen. It was too constricted by the bra straps of censorship.

Meh, the last chapters the author just don't seem to care anymore since the art gets so rough.

Super Interesting Darkness syndrome?

I never read that, I should take a look one of these days considering how famous it is.

Tsurara deserves better.

I think other characters may have been involved somewhere.

Indeed. It's rare, if not impossible, to have a main female lead with zero/zilch fan-service stuff from Shounen these days. And she's so adorable too <3

I agree 100% i was really looking forward to last arc until it got cuts to bits .
Still was only reading it for about 2 or 3 years which not long .

Not gonna lie, I am even more than willing to trade one of the big 3s (most probably Bleach, hahaha) if it means Nurarihyon will continue on forward.

Scum

9Tayc.gif

Big One

Banned
One Piece - Skypiea

I have finally done it. A huge personal accomplishment. After almost a decade of failing to progress in One Piece because Skypiea was just too long and boring in the middle, I have FINISHED reading the entire arc. Man, some of the middle stuff was REALLY painful. When they get split up and all the random fighting happens chapter after chapter it was really zzzzzzzzzzz. But towards the end of the arc is really picked up. Rubber vs Thunder was pretty awesome. The origin flashback for the island was really amazing. The climax was quite an emotional high, like most One Piece arcs.

Finally, after [x] years, I can resume reading One Piece. I might even be able to catch up by the time One Piece Film Z opens here. I can't believe it. It's really happening! I finished Skypiea. Wow. :D
Yeah you're finally getting to the truly great part of One Piece, so get your body ready for one of the greatest battle shonen arcs ever made.

Big One

Banned
Yu Yu Hakusho Sensui Arc

The only shit thing about Sensui arc is really the ending. It was pretty epic and emotional, but really was off-tone with the rest of the arc and basically turned YYH into DBZ.

Alright someone spoil this ending for me, I'm curious now. I stopped reading sometime after they got over that big mountain with the hallucinations or some shit like that.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Alright someone spoil this ending for me, I'm curious now. I stopped reading sometime after they got over that big mountain with the hallucinations or some shit like that.

No answer at all for probably one of the biggest mysteries of them all: how did they end up on the Island on the first place (time travel yes, but how and why did it happen?) as well as myriads of other seemingly important questions/mysteries (such as the alien blob) still left unanswered.

It is practically just a timeskip where everybody gets older a bit (with their boobs + asses + abs getting an upgrade) and they make large ship to exit the island (how can they do this???) and with the implication that the outside world may be fucked up but it doesn't stop anyone feeling that cliched feeling of hope anyways.

The only thing I like is that the President getting forever friendzoned by Yuki, ahahahaha, poor bastard XD

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
No answer at all for probably one of the biggest mysteries of them all: how did they end up on the Island on the first place (time travel yes, but how and why did it happen?) as well as myriads of other seemingly important questions/mysteries (such as the alien blob) still left unanswered.

It is practically just a timeskip where everybody gets older a bit (with their boobs + asses + abs getting an upgrade) and they make large ship to exit the island (how can they do this???) and with the implication that the outside world may be fucked up but it doesn't stop anyone feeling that cliched feeling of hope anyways.

The only thing I like is that the President getting forever friendzoned by Yuki, ahahahaha, poor bastard XD
I have no idea if you're spoiling Lost or something else

Piecake

That really can't change to tell the truth them being in the NW don't change that the OP world is full of islands .
I guess Oda can try and mix it up a bit but for the most part overall story structure going to stay the same .

Now as for characters changing\ growing up it really depends of the character .
I have no problem if Luffy or Natsu don't change at all .
Every now then you get a arc where they down or some development happens but them being a bad ass \ reckless it what there are and should stay the same .

I agree they got much worst things to watch .

I think the only character that truly demands character development in One Piece is Usopp, since his dream basically demands that he grow as a person

Puchitto Hajiketa 3
tumblr_mgwq16S7x51qbxqfpo1_500.png

After last chapters developments, was glad to see things progress further and finally Noshiro and Ashitaka end up somewhat together though initially with some reservations. Was quite intense later, or either cheap cuffs as they broke so easily. I guess this extreme measure was necessary to overcome that bottom trauma. Really good chapter and lifted my mood after watching some really depressing anime.

fordle seemed like some new sound effect or rather first time Ive encountered it in such a manga which oftens uses the same set of eight sounds/actions.

To add to what Laughing Banana said, we know that the island was created by Miina's grandfather and Sengoku's mom in memory of the people that disappeared on that flight. What's funny is it's portrayed as really moving, yet it lead to the deaths of over 100 people, many including Sengoku's friends.

Also, we never find out a thing about Hades.

Welp, that made no sense to me. Too bad.

Wait so the dude doesn't get with the girl after all that?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
To add to what Laughing Banana said, we know that the island was created by Miina's grandfather and Sengoku's mom in memory of the people that disappeared on that flight. What's funny is it's portrayed as really moving, yet it lead to the deaths of over 100 people, many including Sengoku's friends.

Also, we never find out a thing about Hades.

Oh yeah that too.

I just.... if that island really is created in memory of the people that disappeared that it's very LOLworthy to think that all the nation's superpowers are joining in too (man, Sengoku's mom waltzing in to the White House to lecture the US president was very funny). For what?

Man... If I ever get to chance to meet with the author I'll smack him in the face for ending it like this *sigh*

Welp, that made no sense to me. Too bad.

Wait so the dude doesn't get with the girl after all that?

The main dude did get the main girl and he's being pretty open about it which is nice considering so many Shounen protagonist are either asexual, oblivious, or forever trapped in "I like her but can't say it" trope.

I meant the President, whose feelings suddenly evoked for no reason near the end and even then he's rejected by the object of his affection even after he's risking his life for her, ahahah, poor bastard.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
And isn't that big ass whale sea monster still lurking out there? How do they plan to get pass that??

The manga revealed during the chapter where they climbed that mountain that the sea monster is inside a huge lake--that they originally thought as the ocean--still inside the island, not the real ocean.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think I see some Akame ga Kill coming soon for those who care. I don't even know what it is but it's in the banner.

Oh well at least they got that much right.

The banner for what? AGK is well regarded by people who like evil Hitler-esque waifus

Hunter X Hunter

After reading the Greed Island arc, i wonder when we will see the spiders again if ever, sicne they found a nen eraser and they can get back to business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom