• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Magi 170

magi170.png

Fuck me, it's pretty much impossible for me to sympathize with Mogamett after that horrific fucking thing. Jesus christ...

Hunter X Hunter

After reading the Greed Island arc, i wonder when we will see the spiders again if ever, sicne they found a nen eraser and they can get back to business.

Well Kurapika had eyes full of death the last time we saw him, so I'm thinking Togashi will get to it eventually (provided he makes more chapters ever). There's also the special chapters which painted quite the brutal picture of them.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Magi 170

magi170.png

Fuck me, it's pretty much impossible for me to sympathize with Mogamett after that horrific fucking thing. Jesus christ...

Wait, why? It's a war. It's always going to be about who can kill who better.

Is raining down gunpowder any better ethically? Just less efficient.

Magi 170

Fuck. That was fucking brutal. It's kinda hard to get all excited about seeing the fanalis being cool when you just saw thousands of people get roasted.

Wait, why? It's a war. It's always going to be about who can kill who better.

Is raining down gunpowder any better ethically? Just less efficient.

Quantity matters in this kind of situation.

Antiwhippy

Also it's not like now raem isn't going to use their fanalis corps to fuck up a lot of mogomett's people.

If it's against civilians and civilian cities then I could understand, and I'm going to bet that the twist is that the machine is sucking up a lot of the lower goi's magoi, but if it's against soldiers I have no sympathies. It's not like getting disintegrated is going to be worse than getting stabbed or blown up. Probably. Better than a slow dying death anyway.

Defuser

Magi
Damn @ the genocide. Now Fanalis in the equation next chapter will be more fuck up.

Cage of Eden 185
What a fucking bullshit ending. In the end nothing got explained like who the fuck is hades or how did they wind up into the future.
Sengoku's mom is a bigger doofus. She dreamed of her son being happy on that Island? LOL

dumbyugi

Mahou Senki Lyrical Nanoha Force 21

I feel like this would be easier to follow if it were an anime, or at least a weekly series. This chapter made me feel like I had skipped a chapter that expained what the point of these robot people is. I don't remember most of the acronyms either, what the hell is the TSAB? At least it looks like some action will be happening soon.

Antiwhippy

Maybe

If the Finalis can destroy such a weapon very easily then i really underestimated them.

The Fanalis are shown to be pretty much the most OP race in Magi.

Other than the whole slavery thing.

edit: I don't really see the WW2 nuke equivalency because it's still against soldiers.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Let's keep in mind that Laem/Reim (fucking translation shift) are actually the aggressors in this scenario. And that they were practically on Magnostadt's front doorstep, killing the bulk of their military. What would you do, refuse to use your best weapons and sacrifice more of your own soldiers? Ridiculous.

Antiwhippy

That magic nuke, could a dungeon clearer's Extreme Magic match it?

So far we've seen extreme magics that can rain down a billion swords, a tsunami big enough to wipe out whole navies/cities near the sea, and just a really big beam.

So I would guess it'll be pretty close.

Dresden

edit: I don't really see the WW2 nuke equivalency because it's still against soldiers.
Sure there is. The firebombing of cities receives far less heat than the use of nuclear weapons. Even when the casualties of the former outnumber the latter, it's the nukes that gets the spotlight, due to just what they are.

It's the same discussion here - is it okay to use a weapon like that? But is using gunpowder and small-scale sorcery somehow more ethical?

Sure there is. The firebombing of cities receives far less heat than the use of nuclear weapons. Even when the casualties of the former outnumber the latter, it's the nukes that gets the spotlight, due to just what they are.

It's the same discussion here - is it okay to use a weapon like that?

The fact that the firebombing doesn't get as much attention does not negate the fact that the nukes were used against civilian targets, which is still an important distinction to what you're comparing it to. If you wanted to take this absurd argument further you could also consider irradiation and long-term effects on the population and environment.

Dresden

The fact that the firebombing doesn't get as much attention does not negate the fact that the nukes were used against civilian targets, which is still an important distinction to what you're comparing it to. If you wanted to take this absurd argument further you could also consider irradiation and long-term effects on the population and environment.

You're applying post-war sensibilities to an equivalency hinging on logic of the day.

The fact that they were civilians is irrelevant. In this example both were viable military targets.

upandaway

Magi

I wonder how Sphintus feels now. That was way, WAY more damage than Reim dealt to them beforehand.

I'd say one shot might be justified if aimed a little bit to the side. In the end, it won't even be enough to win the war (fully counting on the Finalis to destroy it), so I'm not sure just how immoral it is.

That magic nuke, could a dungeon clearer's Extreme Magic match it?
For one shot, yeah. But that weapon is practically rapid fire. It's way above extreme magic.

Haly

Magnostadt has taken someone who belongs to Raem, so theres a ground for war.

"Taken"? You mean offered Titus an opportunity at life rather than as a disposable test tube baby and used as political leverage to launch an all out invasion?

Oh yeah, real credible grounds there.

(Should I also mention that Titus is not the first of Scheherazade's test tube baby spies/diplomats)

scy

I'm bored and watching this guy scanlate this single-handedly via Dropbox, it's like witnessing an artist at work.

Gorey material though.

This is honestly sort of tame compared to some of the others (like the girl having her face carved off, the torture special chapter, etc.).

Let's keep in mind that Laem/Reim (fucking translation shift) are actually the aggressors in this scenario. And that they were practically on Magnostadt's front doorstep, killing the bulk of their military. What would you do, refuse to use your best weapons and sacrifice more of your own soldiers? Ridiculous.

I agree with this, it is war after all it was always gonna be about who is more effective at killing.

Who clearly did not want to return to Ream because he'll die.

"Taken"? You mean offered Titus an opportunity at life rather than as a disposable test tube baby and used as political leverage to launch an all out invasion?

Oh yeah, real credible grounds there.

(Should I also mention that Titus is not the first of Scheherazade's test tube baby spies/diplomats)

That´s true, but do i need to remind you that every time a high ranking official defects from enemy/not friend country, it cause a lot of political unrest between the 2 nations. Yeah Shah used this as a pretext for war, but that how things sometimes work for the quest for domination and to protect themselves from other enemies.

Dresden

I'm pretty sure some of the Fanalis have Metal/household vessels? Would be easy for them.

I think the main dude is a dungeon conqueror as well.

War sensibilities also approved internment. You'll find I apply post-slavery sensibilities when critiquing racial relations in the past.

One's a critique, the other is a comparative assessment. The first is dependent on "post-slavery sensibilities" (oh, so witty) as a lens for interpretation; the other is not.

The other problem with that argument is that this magic weapon doesn't seem to be indiscriminate. It's pretty deliberately frying the opposing force from a defensive position. It's like a second shield.

Antiwhippy

That´s true, but do i need to remind you that every time a high ranking official defects from enemy/not friend country, it cause a lot of political unrest between the 2 nations. Yeah Shah used this as a pretext for war, but that how things sometimes work for the quest for domination and to protect themselves from other enemies.

Well yeah, but I still don't see how that justifies raem's (goddamn I have no idea to spell the name anymore) position as the invaders.

Haly

Yeah Shah used this as a pretext for war, but that how things sometimes work for the quest for domination and to protect themselves from other enemies.

I really wouldn't call invading with a country's entire military might "protecting themselves". Conquest? Sure. Defense? Maybe only in a last ditch effort by a desperate military command.

Well yeah, but I still don't see how that justifies raem's (goddamn I have no idea to spell the name anymore) position as the invaders.

I really wouldn't call invading with a country's entire military might "protecting themselves". Conquest? Sure. Defense? Maybe only in a last ditch effort by a desperate military command.

I would argue if Raem allowed the Kou empire to invade Mognostadt, then the Kou empire will be too strong and will be a huge threat to the Raem empire. So by conquering Mognostadt first they are protecting themselves from a bigger and more dangerous threat. Sure it´s a shitty reason but still valid.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Cage of Eden

Absolute horseshit ending wow. That might be one of the most unsatisfying endings I've ever read.

Antiwhippy

Huh.

You know I just realised that I've forgotten quite a bit from Akame ga kill.

Any idea what chapter the dog rape is from?

Magi

I really think it´s a huge strategical error to deploy all of the Finals corps against Mognostadt, since the Kou empire is preparing for war as well. Mognostadt knew that the Kou empire is preparing for war so the Raem empire should know as well, and it should have made preparations to repell the Kou empire. Raem should have put like a 100 of the Finalis corps on reserve just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom