• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

So as far as recent shit endings go, which do you guys think was the worst? Reborn, Negima, or Cage of Eden?
I've only read Negima of those three, but I still want to vote for it if only because it had the balls to actively taunt the reader about the super awesome amazing final battle that happened off-screen.
Even knowing the circumstances about why it ended doesn't make it sting any less.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I would argue if Raem allowed the Kou empire to invade Mognostadt, then the Kou empire will be too strong and will be a huge threat to the Raem empire. So by conquering Mognostadt first they are protecting themselves from a bigger and more dangerous threat.

You made the assumption that Magnostadt would've lost against the Kou Empire. I can just as easily say: "Raem should've waited for Kou to invade Magnostadt, so that they can gain a greater insight into both armies' full capabilities (such as surprise death robots), and conserve their resources while the other two sides expend their armies against each other."

What Raem's motives were and whether they made the right decision is moot. The fact is they were the invaders.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I've only read Negima of those three, but I still want to vote for it if only because it had the balls to actively taunt the reader about the super awesome amazing final battle that happened off-screen.
Even knowing the circumstances about why it ended doesn't make it sting any less.

I haven't finished the other 2, but reborn doesnt have an ending. Or a conclusion. Just a thanks for reading where a new chapter should be.

You made the assumption that Magnostadt would've lost against the Kou Empire. I can just as easily say: "Raem should've waited for Kou to invade Magnostadt, so that they can gain a greater insight into both armies' full capabilities (such as surprise death robots), and conserve their resources while the other two sides expend their armies against each other."

What Raem's motives were and whether they made the right decision is moot. The fact is they were the invaders.

Well i guess you can also make this argument, and you´re right that in either argument Raem are the invaders.

On Magi still, it should be noted that war hasn't meant a license to kill the enemy in any manner you see fit in many societies historically, as well as in the present day. Magnoshutt, by introducing WMDs, escalates the scale of the conflict, and makes the war more horrific.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
On Magi still, it should be noted that war hasn't meant a license to kill the enemy in any manner you see fit in many societies historically, as well as in the present day. Magnoshutt, by introducing WMDs, escalates the scale of the conflict, and makes the war more horrific.

The developement of numerous weapons capable of massive destruction says that this is not true. It's really only after war that such methods are scrutinised, but war has been used to test out numerous weapons that are pretty horrific.

Also, honestly, it's a fact that there are people in magi that freely uses metal vessels, which could also cause quite a lot of destruction even without the extreme magics, and this is what people balk at?

Kreed

Magi 170:

What's worse than people that use the "turtle defense" to win a battle? People who use the turtle defense to win a battle that don't NEED to use the turtle defense to win a battle. Go to hell Magicians.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Magi 170:

What's worse than people that use the "turtle defense" to win a battle? People who use the turtle defense to win a battle that don't NEED to use the turtle defense to win a battle. Go to hell Magicians.

Sounds like someone salty at turtling toss players.

Wiseblade

Magi

Magic nukes and the Kou Empire hasn't even joined the fray yet. This is going to get crazy.

One Punch Man

Saitama becoming notorious among the monsters is hilarious and reminds me of Samus Aran's reputation among the Space Pirates in Metroid games.

Screaming Lessons 30
TjletfV.png

fine
adj. fin·er, fin·est
11. Satisfactory; acceptable: "It's fine if my heart remains inside my body."
12. Being in a state of satisfactory health; quite well: "If you don't swallow scissors, you'll be fine."

Spotted the twist coming within about 8-9 pages, but it doesn't stop it from being delicious. I think I'll skip breakfast this morning.

stryke

What were these circumstances?

wonzo

Banned
Magi

If we want to talk about who the aggressor is in the war then lets not forget about the fact that Magnostadt knowingly smuggled magical items to Thieves and Pirates which were later used against Reim and other kingdoms and cities.

see c164 where Titus and Scheherazade talk about them:

and c166 where Mogamett confirms it to Aladdin:

I don't see how smuggling weapons to people who are effectively terrorists isn't somehow an aggressive act.

Antiwhippy

It is why Raem is investigating them, but how is it an aggressive act against raem? Seems like they were selling them to obtain funds, not as an act of war.

7 Seeds, 69

I can't believe how brutal and cruel Team Summer is. They found another survivor, an injured kid from team Spring, and Madonna uses him as guinea pig to test our which food is poisonous and Ango is still raging about being sent here with inferior people.

I get Ango's feelings and it must be hard for all of them. They where raised for that sole purpose and lost all their friends during a battle royal, while others had a completely normal life before this. But the way they react and oppose the plan, which is to lead others, they're not really better than the barbarians of Team Autumn.

wonzo

Banned
Biblia Koshodou's Case Notebook (Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou) 1-2

I've always been pretty interested in checking the LN out since it's charted pretty highly on the sales charts all the time and while the novel itself hasn't been translated I can at least check this out and so far it's pretty interesting. From what I can grasp, this is basically a mystery series involving books and by that I mean not just the story itself but the actual physical book itself (things like signatures, an item tucked into the pages, what edition etc). The art's really nice and certainly helps add to the classy feel of the subject manner. Definitely worth checking out the two chapters currently out there.

OPM 20

Poor Saitama.

It is why Raem is investigating them, but how is it an aggressive act against raem? Seems like they were selling them to obtain funds, not as an act of war.

If they're selling "Magical Items" to Pirates and Thieves which are being used to terrorize their citizens then surely they have a right to act in self defense by not only cracking down on said Pirates and Thieves but also trying to stop them from the source considering it's a threat to the Empire (and the fact that they're knowingly selling them to people [not a state entity but literally thugs] whom are doing these terrible things).

Antiwhippy

Might be, but they definitely didn't invade under those premises. Also didn't they stop doing it? I could be wrong.

Also while the magic weapons might be more powerful, but in the end they are invading another country because that country is selling weapons, which seems weird to me. Would Raem then invade another country for selling bandits their swords and other equipment?

Magi 170

If you have a magical nuke why wouldn't you use it when an invading army is almost at your front gates. If raem had started retreating and mog kept firing that'd be one thing but at this point I'm still of the mindset neither side is right in this conflict.

7 Seeds, 73

m08D3S4.jpg

That was unexpected, but at least he's taking responsibility. I just hope he calms down at bit more as well. After all, he's the lunatic who gunned down an innocent man and used a child as bait. But I expect great things from this team up.

Gokukoku no Brynhildr 38

Well fuck. If I made any disparaging remarks about Nanami during the past 7-8 chapters, I now retcon them in their entirety. At least we can expect her to make more appearances in the future, although not quite in the way I would've hoped for.

Mangaka-san to Assistant 132

Valentine's chocolate? Really? I wish I'd read this before Screaming Lessons.

Tower of God 2: 47

Koon season.
Rabbit season.
Koon season.
Rabbit season.

I've always been pretty interested in checking the LN out since it's charted pretty highly on the sales charts all the time and while the novel itself hasn't been translated I can at least check this out and so far it's pretty interesting. From what I can grasp, this is basically a mystery series involving books and by that I mean not just the story itself but the actual physical book itself (things like signatures, an item tucked into the pages, what edition etc). The art's really nice and certainly helps add to the classy feel of the subject manner. Definitely worth checking out the two chapters currently out there.

I've been eyeing this / the LN up for a while, but I'd prefer to wait for more chapters to come out before picking this up. You should totally read the Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime manga if you haven't already, since it's another mystery series involving books (although not quite in the same way). It's the manga adaptation of the first Book Girl LN.

Antiwhippy

7 Seeds, 73

That was unexpected, but at least he's taking responsibility. I just hope he calms down at bit more as well. After all, he's the lunatic who gunned down an innocent man and used a child as bait. But I expect great things from this team up.

In what sense? :p

Kurita

I've been eyeing this / the LN up for a while, but I'd prefer to wait for more chapters to come out before picking this up. You should totally read the Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime manga if you haven't already, since it's another mystery series involving books (although not quite in the same way). It's the manga adaptation of the first Book Girl LN.

I was thinking about watching the drama adaptation that started a few weeks ago...

EDIT : huh, it premiered this week actually.

Antiwhippy

Scenes like this get me all giddy. It was a really nice and unexpected reaction, after hearing Team Summer's tragic story. I honestly didn't expect any opposition and was thinking most of them would react like Hana.

This is why team autumn is awesome, because they don't take any bullshit.

This is why team autumn is awesome, because they don't take any bullshit.

What's so nice about it is that you just get why everyone acts like they do. Everyone has their reason and motives and even though you're not supposed to sympathize with all of them and might get angry at them, frown upon some decisions, you can't really hate them either.

Antiwhippy

The teacher who went with team summer A in the capsule was definitely a scumbag. In fact most of the teachers qualify in a way, but they have a few redeeming moments.

I might be going to spoiler territory though, so I won't say any others.

The teacher who went with team summer A in the capsule was definitely a scumbag. In fact most of the teachers qualify in a way, but they have a few redeeming moments.

I might be going to spoiler territory though, so I won't say any others.
I obviously can't disagree with you about the teachers, but I was more talking about the individual team members. I think Natsu is the only one who still annoys me, but I'm certain that she'll have her moment, too. But you reminded me that Mozu is still out there. I can't wait for him to meet team summer. It's going to be a blast.

Kreed

Magi:

Sounds like someone salty at turtling toss players.

Calling them "players" is an insult to real players since it implies these people are actually playing the game they're not participating in by sitting around watching the grass grow.

One Punch Man:

Re-read OPM with Boon translations.
Sooooo much better.

Truth. Although it's not hard to do better than Mangapanda's translating.

Kaeru no Prince-sama 1 - 2
tumblr_mgxe7dqGbS1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Kind of wish different font or rather a better effort was made in that area as it sometimes came out awkward or hard to see. Though didnt really inhibit the best scenes. though in speaking of the actual manga, seems like an interesting take on the coworkers idea except with Aono who has really low confidence and is always the one people joke about due to getting so nervous he sounds like a frog or such and is working in sales oddly, and then Gouzaka takes an interests though Aono thinks hes only joking and making fun. Funny at times and emotional, will keep following to see what conclusion it gets.

Magi

I could see Sindbad and his alliance participating in the war siding with Raem empire, after all he wrote Scheherazade and she might have agreed to be his ally. Maybe he will be the back up when the Kou empire attacks both Mognostadt and Raem empire.

Dimension W 4

Revelations! Hobo Batman gets a partner.

Dangan Tenshi Fan Club Oneshot

The great pyramid of OTL lol. Aside this decent oneshot from Murata and One.

duckroll

Magi - Chapter 170

OMG! OMFG!!!!!!!!!!! Holy shit it's a real, giant, honest to God, fucking magic powered mecha. Good heavens. Magi is turning into FFXIV. Sofuckinggood.jpg

OceanBlue

Ah! I forgot about this. I was interested in the LN as well, so I'll definitely check it out.

7 Seeds, 76

lPdGp0g.jpg

Is there such a thing as "too much information"? In this case, I'd say yes. Depending on much she says in he next chapter, she might've signed her death sentence. I mean, the psychopath and leader of Team Summer, Ango, just tried to kill one of them and argued with his gun pulled out ...

Of course Hana won't die, but still, this could get pretty awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom