• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynedom

Warning: Slight (but comical) metldown incoming:

7 Seeds - 120

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. GOD DAMMIT NO.
Not the fucking dogs. Not Mitsuru and Fubiki
. ;_;

I know it was inevitable to develop Aramaki (and I guess Ayu's) character and their possible relationship but no. You can't fucking kill the dogs. ;_; Omg, the shot with Fubiki and Misturu and their namesakes saying bye to Aramaki.

;_:

7 Seeds, 95

Just where the hell are they. The idea of a ship like that doesn't seem very practical, but everything about it is so mysterious. It's like a shelter on water. Ugh, I need to know more about it! I just hope it's free from diseases, or else Ango will start to kill everyone again.

Also, the Titanic parody was hilarious. It took me a second before I got it.

Kurita

Biblia Koshodou's Case Notebook (Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou) 1-2

I've always been pretty interested in checking the LN out since it's charted pretty highly on the sales charts all the time and while the novel itself hasn't been translated I can at least check this out and so far it's pretty interesting. From what I can grasp, this is basically a mystery series involving books and by that I mean not just the story itself but the actual physical book itself (things like signatures, an item tucked into the pages, what edition etc). The art's really nice and certainly helps add to the classy feel of the subject manner. Definitely worth checking out the two chapters currently out there.

So, I watched the first episode of the drama adaptation today. There's only one episode so far, it started last week.
That's pretty good, I like the atmosphere of the library in the show and I find the characters really likeable so far. The whole thing about mysteries related to the books is quite interesting. I think I'll watch the whole show.

wonzo

Banned
Hanstu x Trash 11

They better own the hell out of the uptight thugs and knock em down a few pegs.

The Seven Deadly Sins 11

Can't believe I missed Diane's eyebrow in the spot the difference from last chapter. Shit was so obvious too... Oh well, RIP Doc.

Yonafunu

Speaking of Asano...where's the next chapter of A Girl By The Sea ? :(

Here's a manga recommendation : Wolf Guy. It's quality entertainment !

I think it kinda overstayed it's welcome. Or I just got tired of it. Either way, I felt it was too long. I just remember I forgot about it like 5 chapter before it enden. Might as well finish it now.

If I'd had to recommend a series off the top of my head, I'd have to go with Hoshi no Samidare, Vagabond, or Slam Dunk, for sports (no, wait, for everything). Oh, and Hunter x Hunter.

Code:Breaker 207

Lost Toki is awesome with the magnetized gun

The revelation came from nowhere, never though nenene was simply a second joker and a vessel, though how did she transfer power, or does that mean she didnt an it was just psychological?

Yonafunu

Nanatsu no Taizai (The Seven Deadly Sins) 10-11

I'm really enjoying this series so far. Love the armour designs, and the art is great, of course.

Rebirth: The Lunatic Taker 25-29 (END)
BZfpCdI.png

I'd been holding off on reading the ending to this because I was expecting it to be so terrible that it would retroactively dissolve my (many) positive feeling about the series. But against all odds, it actually wasn't.

I usually consider characters not running away when they're fighting a hopeless battle to be a strike against them, but Ayaka is just so fucking awesome even when she's getting beaten down. I have to give Reiji credit as well for actually making me hate him (for selling out his infinitely superior sibling amongst other things), rather than inspiring the general apathy that MCs traditionally receive from me. I really hope we get a full resolution to their story in the follow-up, although skimming through the initial chapters doesn't give me a great deal of confidence.

Final score: 4.5 brocons out of 5.

Stop posting those 7 seeds pics with your updates, some of them are pretty massive spoilers. I know you're excited, but let's not set people's expectations :)

Stop posting those 7 seeds pics with your updates, some of them are pretty massive spoilers. I know you're excited, but let's not set people's expectations :)

I just went through the posts and removed the pictures. Damn, you were right, especially about that major one. And what's worse is that I did exactly what I told Laughing Banana not to do.

No more huge pictures from me, sorry.

bigkrev

Eyeshield 21 vol 1-6

My history with this title- I bought the first 10 volumes as they were being released and loved them, while having very little understanding of actual football. Even though I stopped reading it, i kept buying until around volume 25 as a matter of habit when I would go monthly manga shopping. I've been meaning to go back and re-read the series, and as we are in a gaming lull for the next month, I figured now would be a good time.

In the time since I started reading, I became a pretty hardcore and knowledgeable football fan- my 100 dollar bankroll I started the season with has an extra zero at the end of it at this point, I crush in fantasy, ect.

The first thing that sticks out is the incredible art and style the series has. All of the characters are well designed and have not just distinct looks, but distinct styles, varying from cute and cuddly to hardened and stoic. There a lot of fun to root for- they all have problems that make them more relatable, and a whimsical sense that makes you watch their interactions with a smile on your face. The actual football scenes have an incredible sense of speed and impact to them, making it feel like real football. And none of it is sloppy- football uniforms are incredibly complex, with multiple lines for face masks, padding, ect- and its all always there.

I'm also amazed at how well football strategy is used. There isn't a more dense, rule-heavy sport out there, and they managed to do a great job explaining it. I loved Hikaru no Go, but I don't think I could play watch and understand a game of Go afterwards. Here, though, they give a great explanation of the basics, and use shounen tropes of power ups to get into more detailed ideas like Play Action, route skeletons, bump and run coverage, a Shotgun spread, and more. My only issue with the football comes from my knowledge of football- i have so many burning questions that only someone who really likes football would ask

1. Why does Ojo run a 4-3 when they have a player like Shin? As best I can tell, they are using him as a WILL linebacker (there aren't many times you see them fully lined up), which is a waste of his talent. They should be running a 3-4 and using him in the rush LB role to utilize his speed and tackling ability.

2. Why is Kurita the Center? Its the one position on the line that you can get away with a more undersized player. Considering how big he is, he could be a mauler of a guard- I don't think he has the foot movement to be an OT, but his skills could be better utilized as a guard.

3. With Sena being Sena and Himura having strong scrambling abilities, why are they running a base I-formation instead of something like a Flexbone (or even a Wishbone)? It would allow both of them to better utilize their running skills, and provide extra protection. It would probably also help Monta- Calvin Johnson, the best WR in the NFL, was in a Flexbone-based offense his entire college career.

4. Without a placekicker, they have almost no success on XP attempts. Why not just go for 2 each time? Himura says that his accuracy is "around 35%" on kicks, yet the league average for 2 pt conversions is much higher than that. The Expected Value of a 2 pt attempt for the team is probably significantly higher than the EV of a kick.

But all of those are problems I am only seeing now as a football fan- when I first read this, I was just entranced by everything. I hope to get to stuff I haven't read yet soon, and considering you can get most volumes for something like 5-7 dollars shipped used on Amazon, i'm going to try to finish the series. People, if you are looking for reccomendations, and you haven't read Eyeshield yet, get to it!

Kurita

Actually, the writer of Eyeshield 21 had close to none knowledge in football when he started writing it so some tactics can look flawed.

Akama ga Kiru 33-33.5

Well that was brutal.

Didn't really care though since the only characters I find interesting in this manga are Esdese and Leone.

I do miss Braht though.

Gintama 430

Liked how the game went from Dragon Quest -> Resident Evil -> Mario Bros.

But seriously, if there was ever a Tales of Gintama game I would buy it.

Atredeus

Neo Member
What is it with everyone suddenly backing Loli now? I don't remember this at all.

I was't posting when the Kansai train was rolling. I waited until the series was completely out and marathoned it, so I missed most of the discussion and waifu wars.

Eyeshield 21 vol 1-62. Why is Kurita the Center? Its the one position on the line that you can get away with a more undersized player. Considering how big he is, he could be a mauler of a guard- I don't think he has the foot movement to be an OT, but his skills could be better utilized as a guard.

I know a bit about football, but the center would have a pretty difficult time being undersized. The nosetackle he has to go against is usually the biggest guy on the defensive line. Hard to snap a ball and block a bigger guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom