• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cage of Eden

If 7 Seeds was a really shitty shonen instead of the best josei, it'd be Cage of Eden.

Yep. Although to be fair Cage of Eden is much more like a very shitty remake of Drifting Classroom.

Oh and everyone should read it because it's from Kazuo Umezu, who also made Fourteen.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yep. Although to be fair Cage of Eden is much more like a very shitty remake of Drifting Classroom.

Oh and everyone should read it because it's from Kazuo Umezu, who also made Fourteen.

Not a fan due to the author's EVERYONE ALWAYS USE THE SAME SURPRISED EXPRESSION approach to his characters, hahaha.

I think everyone is being too hard on Cage of Eden here. I think it's passable and entertaining enough. Too bad it's cancelled early though; it's clear the author wanted to do much more stuff with it.

Not a fan due to the author's EVERYONE ALWAYS USE THE SAME SURPRISED EXPRESSION approach to his characters, hahaha.

I think everyone is being too hard on Cage of Eden here. I think it's passable and entertaining enough. Too bad it's cancelled early though; it's clear the author wanted to do much more stuff with it.

Cage of Eden's first few chapters were definitely promising, considering it seemed to kill characters like no tomorrow.

And then, like Heroes it seems like it likes its characters too much. You kinda can know which character won't die and those who would will have massive death flags above them.

Not to mention the fan service. It just destroys the tension and suspense that's needed in those kind of stories.

So does that mean cage of eden is shitty because it's not buttfuck insane? :p

I would take buttfuck insane than what was in Cage of Eden.

wonzo

Banned
Centaur's Worries 22-24
centaurw22.jpg

Everything's better with monster girls.

Yamada 44

SHIT IS GETTING REAL

TWGOK v19+v20 Omake

The v20 Omake actually answered some of the questions I had a bout the series. A must read really.

Tizoc

So I started reading JoJo Part 6 since I forgot 90% of the stuff that happened in it, so can some explain wtf happened in Volume 2 for me?
Jolene defeats Jongali then reality gets messed up and everything's melting...how did that happen?

Kurita

So I started reading JoJo Part 6 since I forgot 90% of the stuff that happened in it, so can some explain wtf happened in Volume 2 for me?
Jolene defeats Jongali then reality gets messed up and everything's melting...how did that happen?
Haha, I read this volume yesterday and still don't know what the hell happened.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Man, cars in that picture is the perfect example of why I can't take early Jojo seriously. That anatomy makes no sense even in the JJBA sense.

At least Wham and ACDC is consistent in that picture.

Still think it's fabulous though.

Tizoc

Haha, I read this volume yesterday and still don't know what the hell happened.

Heh decided to look that up on the JoJo wikia and this explains it:
Digestive Mist: Whitesnake can also produce an illusory mist that slowly digests objects like stomach acid. The mist can also enable it to impersonate other people for a limited amount of time with illusions. Its victims, while dissolved, are kept distracted in an delusional dream-state.

Serious question time: I know Jojo's ... weird, there's no way it isn't. But how is the plot/depth? On a shonen scale of depth where we put FT at 1 and HxH at 9, where would you guys put Jojo?

(add the big 3 on that scale while you're at it, so I know if I should take your opinion seriously <3)

Serious question time: I know Jojo's ... weird, there's no way it isn't. But how is the plot/depth? On a shonen scale of depth where we put FT at 1 and HxH at 9, where would you guys put Jojo?

(add the big 3 on that scale while you're at it, so I know if I should take your opinion seriously <3)

As much depth as Dragonball.

But as fantastic as watching a rainbow exploding into a thousand glittering stars as the manliest men you can find flexes their amazingly toned yet surprisingly limber muscles in the most flamboyant of ways.

fertygo

Heh decided to look that up on the JoJo wikia and this explains it:
Digestive Mist: Whitesnake can also produce an illusory mist that slowly digests objects like stomach acid. The mist can also enable it to impersonate other people for a limited amount of time with illusions. Its victims, while dissolved, are kept distracted in an delusional dream-state.
3 first volume scans of SO barely readable.

Its barely have any plot, and even that barely consistent. You read it for the fight and craziness.

I do think backstory for character are magnificent, the last two part have good story tho, especially the one that ongoing so far.

But as fantastic as watching a rainbow exploding into a thousand glittering stars as the manliest men you can find flexes their amazingly toned yet surprisingly limber muscles in the most flamboyant of ways.

Can't stand Jojo's artwork.

No matter how... fabulous... it is.

3 first volume scans of SO barely readable.

Its barely have any plot, and even that barely consistent. You read it for the fight and craziness.

I do think backstory for character are magnificent, the last two part have good story tho, especially the one that ongoing so far.

Well this explains why I've never heard a single person discuss Jojo's plot at all, ever.

upandaway

Do you mean just the drama aspect of it? I'd say it has less of that than OP and HxH, and its quality is really subjective. Some can't take it seriously because of the weirdness. But if you can, then it's pretty hardcore. My friend had teary eyes at a certain point.

Admittedly not a lot of people can take it seriously enough to get to that point, but it's definitely there. Maybe 5-7

Tizoc

The previous posts explain it, don't go in for the plot go in for the fabulousness and bizzare stuff that happen. Araki's art evolves and gets better over time, but his highlights IMO are Part 3 and Part 7.

It has the same depth as fist of the north star.

Only replace manly tears with fabulous poses.

HnK has as much depth as FT IMO =P

Nah if compared to Dragonball...JoJo is +3

Can't stand Jojo's artwork.

No matter how... fabulous... it is.

It's cuz you're too used to all that moe shit man.

upandaway

KATAWA SHOUJO yes I know this is a manga thread but since the official thread is almost dead already I am posting my updates here every once in a while too hope it's okay.

Finished Emi's and Hanako's route. The first is a fun girl and a fun route, the second is a d'awwwww girl and a d'awwwwwww route. Both of them are great girls/routes, despite they being really in contrast with one another.

I just couldn't stop smiling and grinning, and feeling, playing through this game. It filled me with so many feels it's unbelievable. Kind of like reading My Girl for a manga comparison (those of you who have not read it should do it I mean what the hell are you thinking not reading it yet!)

Next I am doing Lilly's route. Let's see how it fares.
Lily's route is so fluffy and nice and good and really good. And it has the best secondary characters.

Do Rin's route last!

JoJo is probably somewhere between a 3 and a 4. Araki does have some interesting ideas, but more often than not... he forgets them, leading to plot holes and/or unexplained things.

The reason to read JoJo is the badass characters, super creative abilities, well-planned out strategic battles, and poses. The art may also count depending on who you ask.

fertygo

Well this explains why I've never heard a single person discuss Jojo's plot at all, ever.

Well, part of it because its divided by part though, there is nothing to talk again except the detail.

The part that currently ongoing right now are very plot-heavy, I do seen some of the discussion here.

Lain

How many months has it been since the last chapter of Teppu (in Japan)? I'm starting to get really worried for the author.

Tizoc

How many months has it been since the last chapter of Teppu (in Japan)? I'm starting to get really worried for the author.

? Did the author take a break? Last I read was Vol. 4, and IIRC the series is released one chapter every 1-2 months.

JoJo is probably somewhere between a 3 and a 4. Araki does have some interesting ideas, but more often than not... he forgets them, leading to plot holes and/or unexplained things.

The reason to read JoJo is the badass characters, super creative abilities, well-planned out strategic battles, and poses. The art may also count depending on who you ask.

I might have to give it a look for the abilities and strategies then, maybe.

Is Jojo the series where some characters are flat out god-like? I don't quite remember.

Well, part of it because its divided by part though, there is nothing to talk again except the detail.

The part that currently ongoing right now are very plot-heavy, I do seen some of the discussion here.

I've seen people discuss part 2 v.s. part 3 and stuff like that I guess, I just figured it's kinda like the pre-post timeskip discussions for Naruto or OP.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's cuz you're too used to all that moe shit man.

Slam Dunk/Vagabond is great. Blade of the Immortal is great. Jojo is just... I don't know... weird. The funny thing is, I think you're not that far off; I can tolerate moe "shit" more than I can tolerate Jojo's art.

Hell, I can stand it less than I can stand Shoujo style and that is saying something, hahaha.

Don't know how to explain it. It's just one of those things that feel... wrong.

Lily's route is so fluffy and nice and good and really good. And it has the best secondary characters.

Do Rin's route last!

Everyone and their grandmothers say this, now it makes me curious.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Slam Dunk/Vagabond is great. Blade of the Immortal is great. Jojo is just... I don't know... weird. The funny thing is, I think you're not that far off; I can tolerate moe "shit" more than I can tolerate Jojo's art.

Hell, I can stand it less than I can stand Shoujo style and that is saying something, hahaha.

To be fair, the art does change a lot through out the series. I mean, Part 1 Jojo's art was objectively shit, but by part 2 you can see some improvements.

Edit: see, that shit up there is pretty damn awesome.

Lain

? Did the author take a break? Last I read was Vol. 4, and IIRC the series is released one chapter every 1-2 months.

Author was ill and took a break months ago but I don't remember when that was, it feels like a very long time though, like half a year or more. The last chapter published was 21.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
To be fair, the art does change a lot through out the series. I mean, Part 1 Jojo's art was objectively shit, but by part 2 you can see some improvements.

Edit: see, that shit up there is pretty damn awesome.

I should give it a chance one of these days I guess.

I mean, you're not going to survive that long unless you are doing some stuff correctly.

Bossun

I can get pretty into jojo, even without story, you get attached to the characters pretty easily.
It's fun, the combat are cray cray, magnificient and off scale.

But I liked part 1 and 2 best. Stand are nice but not on par with the combat from part 1 and 2.

Erigu

If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say Araki had just seen the Field Trip episode of The X-Files...

Tizoc

Vol 4 was the last translated volume. In japan it's now up to vol. 5.

I am aware of that, I was asking if the author had taken a break from writing the manga (sort of like what Miura keeps doing >_>)

Heh the only art I have issues with is Go Nagai's, dude's art has NOT aged well, yet Devilman remains his best work to date IMO.
Tezuka on the other hand I can handle just fine lol.

Ah its prob. cuz all the fabulousness and male characters make you feel all tingly in your naughty bits, it's OK man, take it in: ACCEPT IT!

I'm just messin' with ya bro ;P

Author was ill and took a break months ago but I don't remember when that was, it feels like a very long time though, like half a year or more. The last chapter published was 21.

Woah hope they get better.

fertygo

I can get pretty into jojo, even without story, you get attached to the characters pretty easily.
It's fun, the combat are cray cray, magnificient and off scale.

But I liked part 1 and 2 best. Stand are nice but not on par with the combat from part 1 and 2.

Part 2 maybe, part 1 tho? Last fight between Dio and Jojo just around 2 meter between them, Araki still very unpolished.

I might have to give it a look for the abilities and strategies then, maybe.

Is Jojo the series where some characters are flat out god-like? I don't quite remember.

There are some damn powerful characters, but I think there's only one that can be considered "god-like". Fights are very much conditional-based rather than power level based, so you won't really see many super broken characters.

Edit: I should mention that most of what I described in this and the other post doesn't really start until Part 3 when the means of fighting completely changes. Parts 1 and 2 have their fair share of asspulls and power-based fights, but they're good all the same.

There are some damn powerful characters, but I think there's only one that can be considered "god-like". Fights are very much conditional-based rather than power level based, so you won't really see many super broken characters.

Edit: I should mention that most of what I described in this and the other post doesn't really start until Part 3 when the means of fighting completely changes. Parts 1 and 2 have their fair share of asspulls and power-based fights, but they're good all the same.

What's the difference between the 3 parts btw?

Is it mandatory to read them in order to make sense of Jojo?

fertygo

Part 3 too.

Yup, especially first 3 part that shaped like trilogy.

One should probably skip part one, as its just plain boring, kind of dull, and riddled too much with characters saying their each and every move and thought too much. Extremely limited focus on the things that make manga good like litrally no well designed characters as everyone is disgustingly bulky, too little bonds and friendship, and just a plot that is in no way all that interesting or worth caring about. The action and fights were pretty not good and skippable. I think its pretty overhyped.

New characters in part 2 fix this, and are way cool and friendly but are still bulky, but plot is still pretty weak and kind of too basic and maybe nonsensical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom