• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm saying that trope was generated by the concept of the ubermensch rather than DBZ. (It's the same concept that gave rise to Superman after all...)

...it might be, but we were talking about how the trope was explicitly in Dragonball. Not where it generated from.

Also I don't think Akira Toriyama is one to leaf through the works of Friedrich Nietzsche.

bigkrev

I think you're pretty much good for Bleach.

Seriously though, tackle both. One arc for one, and another for the other.

Yeah, Bleach was the one I was hoping I could avoid. I dunno about reading both at the same time though- that's over 100 vols combined, and I only have so many hours in my life.

People are freaking out about Kenpachi and Unohana romantic undertones but it would be hilarious if Kubo reveals that Unohana is Kenpachi's mother and her sin was abandoning him in District 80. lol

I do think that each time Unohana kills/injures Kenpachi she heals him again as that would explain what happened.

Jintor

Lonely Wolf, Lonely Sheep 1-4 [END]

A nice little short yuri manga about two girls who have the same name and very nearly same age, your standard oh-they're-both-attracted-to-one-another-but-afraid-of-being-rejected story. The author felt compelled to put in some crazy manipulative coworker who basically tries to control one of the character's lives though so that kind of sucked.

bigkrev

Food Smut 7
Well, our smut this chapter is all male based (yay?), and kids getting "drunk" on normal drinks is one of my favorite things to happen in anime/manga/games. Glad to see it was higher in the rankings than I expected, so its probably going to continue.

Atredeus

Neo Member
I do think that each time Unohana kills/injures Kenpachi she heals him again as that would explain what happened.

This was my thought. She's incredibly sadistic, and along with her healing powers it lets her kill/hurt/maim people as much as she wants, then heal them right back to resume the displeasure. Would certainly fit the cruel legend. But she's apparently killed a ton of people?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
...it might be, but we were talking about how the trope was explicitly in Dragonball. Not where it generated from.

Also I don't think Akira Toriyama is one to leaf through the works of Friedrich Nietzsche.

You've never heard the phrase, "what doesn't kill me makes me stronger"?

This is not an obscure concept.

Beelzebub

Yay Natsume did something, I've been waiting so long for this to happen. Now back to ignoring him for the next 200 chapters.

Aunt Tits 64

That isn't really a plan, that's just going into assault mode.

You've never heard the phrase, "what doesn't kill me makes me stronger"?

This is not an obscure concept.

Yes I have, the last sentence was of course, a joke.

What I also said though, was we were not talking where it was generated from. We were talking if that trope has always been a crutch in Dragonball, which it is.

Here's where it all started. Notice that never have we ever debated where the trope started from.

Bleach

I'd like to point out that getting-killed-makes-you-stronger trope wasn't explicitly in Dragonball... But it was in Shaman King. And it made the manga fucking awful and probably contributed to its cancellation.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sure hope Kubo sees that and makes it his continuity

Maybe Unohana ended up figuring out her zanpakuto's powers which turned out to be healing powers which left her incapable of killing anyone or something (sort of like Hanataro if you remember who that even is)

Well he's absolutely right, there's no justification you can really make up, especially since Unohana was involved in various ways in the past few arcs with the exception of actually fighting, which is apparently her specialty according to the past few chapters.

I said the same thing about three pages ago and Beam said -

She was not hiding her power. She was just not using it. Everyone knows about her power. That´s why most of them were so scared of her to begin with. Besides Yamamoto had her on a short leash.

I'm not sure I understand the rationalization here other than piling on the anime nonsense of Yamamoto himself (and indeed, others) holding back his powers against Aizen/Arrancars for no apparent reason with Unohana hiding her powers. Its just Freeza fighting at 50% power shit until proven otherwise. Even if Unohana standing around is explained, its too late to explain why Yamamoto was standing around losing arms instead of using his Bankai at that point.

This was my thought. She's incredibly sadistic, and along with her healing powers it lets her kill/hurt/maim people as much as she wants, then heal them right back to resume the displeasure. Would certainly fit the cruel legend. But she's apparently killed a ton of people?

I assumed she got trained by Tenjiro after she was "done" slaying and that it wasn't always part of her power.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Maybe Unohana ended up figuring out her zanpakuto's powers which turned out to be healing powers which left her incapable of killing anyone or something (sort of like Hanataro if you remember who that even is)

No. She was busy crazy killin' like usual when one day she fought a lordly dog demon with one arm. She took his sword as a trophy. From that day onward, she found that her killing stroke had instead become a healing one.

Kurita

Results of the 58th Shôgakukan Award by category :
Children : Kaitô Joker by Hideyasu Takahashi
Shôjo : Piece by Hinako Ashihara
Shônen : Silver Spoon by Hiromu Arakawa
General : I Am a Hero by Kengo Hanazawa

Well done, Shogakukan. Anyone read the other two?

Lain

Good.
Piece (I'm on volume 7) is pretty great in the way it handles the theme and story, as well as the various characters' interactions. It's a shojo but is kinda deep
Silver Spoon is also great. Suffering has never been that hilarious.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Toriko - A
Good shit. Always knew Coco would fight Grinpatch, and Sunny Tommyrod. Guessing Zebra's too busy with the sound barrier to fight, but I think he may go up against Kuromado. Anyway, it was cool seeing all the new techniques. Coco's Poison Machine Gun was pretty sweet, Tengu looking like he can control electricity, Tommy's new shit was sick, and does Sunny have a new move? I can't remember his hair sparkling like that...
Really hyped for the Toriko vs Star fight, but I know this won't decide it. They've been set up as rivals, and we need to learn more about Star, such as his search for that particular ingredient. Should see some cool fire bending moves though, haha.

I really like Piece based on what little of it is actually translated. Hinako Ashihara is easily one of the best modern shoujo mangaka (even if Sand Chronicles sort of ended with a whimper).

Alright I'll add it to the list.

Hunter x Hunter 30-End of Greed Island

That dodgeball match was a fujoshi's wet dream. Gon, Killua, and Hisoka all teaming up to defeat an enemy? Could they be any more explicit than this?

zJhjO1g.jpg

Also lol at the stupid shonenism when Killua insisted on holding the ball for Gon despite injuring his hands, and despite the other guy being able to hold it WITHOUT INJURING HIMSELF, and Gon agreeing. And dear god what happened to the art at the end of the arc? Is this scribble really how it appeared in Jump? I really hope the rest of the chapters used a better version.
OK, so now that I've bitched about some minor things, I have to say: Hunter x Hunter is awesome, and definitely one of the best long-running fantasy shonens I've read, and I'm probably going to stay up all night reading the rest.

Wish there were more Koko wa Greenwood Manga. Can't get enough of it. Criminal how short the anime was, but the Manga is great.

Last Manga I've read in sometime. Can you guys suggest something similar?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah it's pretty good.

I think I liked it better than Greed Island.

Also as a reminder: only read up to the second last chapter.

Looks like Beelzebub is heading towards another fighting arc. The author is adding characters like Kubo lol. Lets hope they are better than the last few.

Edit: Do you guys think HiatusXHiatus will comeback this year? I dunno what to feel if it does come back. Always worrying if Togashi takes another break and stuff. >.>^

Akito

Wish there were more Koko wa Greenwood Manga. Can't get enough of it. Criminal how short the anime was, but the Manga is great.

Last Manga I've read in sometime. Can you guys suggest something similar?
Haven't read Greeenwood but judging from the description, Hanazakari no Kimitachi e is quite similar.

Stinky

Uchuu Kyoudai 75-78

Wow, this got really real all of a sudden. One minute Mutta is bored at a lecture and the next Hibito is stuck in a moon canyon with a partner that is literally freezing to death.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Looks like Beelzebub is heading towards another fighting arc. The author is adding characters like Kubo lol. Lets hope they are better than the last few.

Edit: Do you guys think HiatusXHiatus will comeback this year? I dunno what to feel if it does come back. Always worrying if Togashi takes another break and stuff. >.>^

Yay, another Bleach fan!
I'm assuming cuz of the ava?

Kurita

Uchuu Kyoudai 75-78

Wow, this got really real all of a sudden. One minute Mutta is bored at a lecture and the next Hibito is stuck in a moon canyon with a partner that is literally freezing to death.
The anime is worth checking out, too.
The music is just amazing.

At this point I hope he finds a successor to complete it.

Hey, the dudes who made Bakuman are free! Maybe they can finish the manga for him.

come at me

Cajun

Neo Member
GE 45

So the MC is slowly but surely turning into a scumbag...at this point it seems like he's gonna seriously fuck up trying to keep every girl's feelings from being hurt, his will be hurt, and this will turn into School Days 2.0.

Akito

GE 45

So the MC is slowly but surely turning into a scumbag...at this point it seems like he's gonna seriously fuck up trying to keep every girl's feelings from being hurt, his will be hurt, and this will turn into School Days 2.0.
That's the correct reaction i.e. how we all felt at that time. You really are in for a treat :lol

Yay, another Bleach fan! I'm assuming cuz of the ava?

Yup! :) Happy to see some here as well with Naruto and OP dominating other forums for the most part.

At this point I hope he finds a successor to complete it.

Hey, the dudes who made Bakuman are free! Maybe they can finish the manga for him.

come at me

lol At worst Togashi will have to cut it short. HXH is Togashi's longest work since YYH aka the best 1990s manga ever imo.

Bakuman creators wouldn't do HXH justice because Togashi makes these crazy abilities and game rules that I don't think the Bakuman creators could manage to surpass.

Not to mention endings aren't their strongest points considering how Hiraku no Go, Death Note and Bakuman all ended.

Well actually Death Note's ending was fine, it was Go and Bakuman that was terrible.

Kreed

Toriko 219:

This manga is so "old school" with it's battles/hype. It makes me feel like I'm reading an 80s/90s manga. Obviously that's been a key to this series popularity since the beginning but it's fun seeing this in action over and over.

Beelzebub 189:

Nothing good is going to happen from this fight (just like all Beelzebub battles after the first Toujou). Either Oga is going to just mow through these guys, or Oga will get beaten and go through a training arc so he can mow through them next time. Really wish the author would give up on the battle half of this manga and improve on the comedy (which has also been suffering for a while now).

One Piece 696:

The main thing that caught my eye about this chapter was Law vs Chopper. I never thought much about it since these two characters were never "together" until this arc, but Law really made Chopper seem ineffective this chapter in regards to his doctor abilities, especially since these cool down chapters are usually when Nami, Robin, Chopper, Franky, and Sanji show off their non battle abilities the best. But I'm going to assume Oda plans on having Chopper learn some things from Law (or maybe not, Oda has missed a lot of "opportunities" like this since Amazon Lily).

Not much else to say about the chapter itself, but I'm interested in seeing what the other rookies are going to do after Law and Luffy make an attempt on Kaidou. The most obvious would be some of the rookies taking down the other Emperors to keep their level of fame up, but Oda has pretty much set up Luffy taking down all 4 of them now (excluding Shanks who will probably get taken down by Blackbeard) so I don't see that happening. Unless Luffy teams up with all the rookies at some point against each Emperor, which could happen although that could get old quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom