• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, another gripe with Hunter: it spends too much time on fodder enemies. I don't want to read two chapters about Gon fighting a bat ant and an owl ant. And while I'm at it, why does Gon still suck when he spends all his time training? And when will that rock paper scissors move actually be any good?

OK, another gripe with Hunter: it spends too much time on fodder enemies. I don't want to read two chapters about Gon fighting a bat ant and an owl ant. And while I'm at it, why does Gon still suck when he spends all his time training? And when will that rock paper scissors move actually be any good?

Hehehehe ahh a disbeliever, wait until you get near the end of the Chimera Arc. You are in for a shock with Gon.

ElFly

Never stop believing in togashi, bro.

Akito

Beelzebub
Pretty meh chapter, aside from Natsume doing something it felt like every other action focused chapter of Beelzebub.

Mahou Shojo of the End
Those goddamn breast man, I'm sure they are a viable weapon of choice against those Mahou Shojo. Suddenly their heads are their weakness? I'm sure the first one got her head completely smashed and still managed to regenerate. Not that it will works against the new type anyway.

Well he's absolutely right, there's no justification you can really make up, especially since Unohana was involved in various ways in the past few arcs with the exception of actually fighting, which is apparently her specialty according to the past few chapters.
It´s not me who´s justifying anything, it´s the manga itself. Yamamoto told her to stay inside. Yamamoto put her on a leash. Period.
Maybe Unohana ended up figuring out her zanpakuto's powers which turned out to be healing powers which left her incapable of killing anyone or something (sort of like Hanataro if you remember who that even is)

I said the same thing about three pages ago and Beam said -

I'm not sure I understand the rationalization here other than piling on the anime nonsense of Yamamoto himself (and indeed, others) holding back his powers against Aizen/Arrancars for no apparent reason with Unohana hiding her powers. Its just Freeza fighting at 50% power shit until proven otherwise. Even if Unohana standing around is explained, its too late to explain why Yamamoto was standing around losing arms instead of using his Bankai at that point.

How many times do do people have to repeat the same thing? If Yamamoto used his bankai in the real world it would have been catastrophic for the real world. The same world that he took a nuke to protect.

For the last time, Unohana was not hiding her powers since shinigami knew about it. Her leader put her on a leash for one reason or another, and she was forbidden to participate in combat. Hell, Yamamoto even gave her an order to stay in the barracks even though there was a war going on.

What are the chances that Kenpachis ability to survive after death is related to Unohana's Bankai? And that's why that is her sin cause she caused him to be that way.

One Piece 696:

The main thing that caught my eye about this chapter was Law vs Chopper. I never thought much about it since these two characters were never "together" until this arc, but Law really made Chopper seem ineffective this chapter in regards to his doctor abilities, especially since these cool down chapters are usually when Nami, Robin, Chopper, Franky, and Sanji show off their non battle abilities the best. But I'm going to assume Oda plans on having Chopper learn some things from Law (or maybe not, Oda has missed a lot of "opportunities" like this since Amazon Lily).

Law's doctor powers are broken because of his fruit, it's not fair to expect that level of ability from Chopper.

upandaway

Food Smut 7
Well, our smut this chapter is all male based (yay?), and kids getting "drunk" on normal drinks is one of my favorite things to happen in anime/manga/games. Glad to see it was higher in the rankings than I expected, so its probably going to continue.
Maybe I misunderstood but I was pretty sure it really was alcohol, and they just weren't saying it outright

One Piece 696:

The main thing that caught my eye about this chapter was Law vs Chopper. I never thought much about it since these two characters were never "together" until this arc, but Law really made Chopper seem ineffective this chapter in regards to his doctor abilities, especially since these cool down chapters are usually when Nami, Robin, Chopper, Franky, and Sanji show off their non battle abilities the best. But I'm going to assume Oda plans on having Chopper learn some things from Law (or maybe not, Oda has missed a lot of "opportunities" like this since Amazon Lily).
Well take it like this: Law is a surgeon while Chopper is.. isn't. If you separate doctors by fields, even on the most basic barebones level, it would be "surgeons and everyone else", so the types of things Law and Chopper treat are (well, supposed to be) different. Also it's pretty much a given that Law's doctoring abilities are maxed out while Chopper is still leveling up.

I'm not really sure what kind of doctorship Chopper is supposed to be doing. Everyone were saved by so many doctors/miscellaneous people (ex. Ivankov) on so many levels with so much of a variety of problems. It's kind of impossible to expect Chopper to be SO RELIABLE that he can deal with all of this chaos.

Kusagari

Beelzebub 189

Meh. I doubt this is going to lead to anything great. Only thing this chapter had was bringing back the Natsume hype.

upandaway

Toriko

When Toriko starts going into blowout mode, it really does get crazy. This chapter was amazing. I love the matchups, but I expect them to be skirmishes and end in stalemates rather than being full-on battles.

Edit: Do you guys think HiatusXHiatus will comeback this year? I dunno what to feel if it does come back. Always worrying if Togashi takes another break and stuff. >.>^
It seemed so right for it to come back this month. They released the volumes, there was the movie, it was keeping up with the trend of expected hiatus length, but then nothing.

In terms of Jump's ToC, I think there's still 1 spot open, so they don't even have to cancel anything to get HxH out. It seems like even Shueisha wasn't sure when it's coming back and just left all the doors unlocked and ready to be opened, so it might be ready to come back soon.

That said, if it does come back I think we can expect 30 chapters again, knock on wood. Togashi's been building up to have longer streaks with longer hiatuses rather than the other way around.

remz

Man I couldn't imagine how gory his powers would be in real life.

Aren't the bits kind of kept together by some kind of field? people's bodies still work when they're cut so they'd be like contained slices

looking at a person sliced into chunks would still be gross as shit though I guess.

Hey speaking of gory... once hunter x hunter gets through Greed Island they're going to have to animate the chimera arc right? Aka
zombies take over north korea.
That's going to be fun.

Beelzebub

Mahou Shojo of the End
Those goddamn breast man, I'm sure they are a viable weapon of choice against those Mahou Shojo. Suddenly their heads are their weakness? I'm sure the first one got her head completely smashed and still managed to regenerate. Not that it will works against the new type anyway.

Looks like the head is the weakness of the normal folks who reanimate, not the mahou shoujo, like regular old zombies. Gotta break the wands to kill the mahou shoujo. Not a fan of the whole "Mahou Shoujo of the End Project." I would have liked it better if this was just some fucked up shit happening for no reason, not some diabolical scheme.

Beelzebub

Hehe, the cover page, the words on Oga´s shirt are in French and it says i love you. This arc is shaping up to be great. The return to the Ishiyama setup is also good. I hope this upcoming fight tops the Oga/Tojo one.

upandaway

Beelzebub

I always get hyped for people going against Oga but it's wearing off a bit when every one of them ends up the same way. I don't expect Eggplant to be any different.

Beel's agitated face was great though, haha.

Hey speaking of gory... once hunter x hunter gets through Greed Island they're going to have to animate the chimera arc right? Aka
zombies take over north korea.
That's going to be fun.
Even if they've been great with that during the Spiders arc, I can't see them not censoring the Ants at least a little. The beginning is just brutal.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
How many times do do people have to repeat the same thing? If Yamamoto used his bankai in the real world it would have been catastrophic for the real world. The same world that he took a nuke to protect.

For the last time, Unohana was not hiding her powers since shinigami knew about it. Her leader put her on a leash for one reason or another, and she was forbidden to participate in combat. Hell, Yamamoto even gave her an order to stay in the barracks even though there was a war going on.

That Yamamoto thing sounds wrong - for one they were in a fake town with nobody in it. I don't recall him saying that either.

Second, its immaterial whether she was "hiding" her powers or not. She's been explained as super violent and strong and for whatever reason hasn't done anything in the entire series despite it. You could make the same argument for practically every other character that just hides their powers for no apparent reason of which there are plenty.

No. She was busy crazy killin' like usual when one day she fought a lordly dog demon with one arm. She took his sword as a trophy. From that day onward, she found that her killing stroke had instead become a healing one.

My InuYasha sense is tingling

Stinky

The anime is worth checking out, too.
The music is just amazing.

Thanks, I will. Just checked and it seems the anime is at the same point the translations are.

Uchuu Kyoudai 79-81

Surprised at Hibito's resourcefulness.. Using the flare to heat up the rocks to prevent his partner from freezing was awesome.

This whole situation reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Milhouse is like "I can't go on, you two go ahead... and carry me with you!

Man I couldn't imagine how gory his powers would be in real life.

dorohedoro_shin_by_apin_vasi-d2zpd1w.jpg

Not real life, but close enough.

That Yamamoto thing sounds wrong - for one they were in a fake town with nobody in it. I don't recall him saying that either.
It´s not wrong. the fake Karakura town was in the real world and the explosion from his shikai would have blown up a good chunk of Japan. Aizen even said that Yamamoto took the blow to save Aizen´s world, aka the world outside the barrier and people living in it. Besides Yamamoto was under hypnosis, how would he know where to strike at Aizen?
Second, its immaterial whether she was "hiding" her powers or not. She's been explained as super violent and strong and for whatever reason hasn't done anything in the entire series despite it. You could make the same argument for practically every other character that just hides their powers for no apparent reason of which there are plenty.
But we have precedent already that Yamamoto put a leash on her when the quincies invaded. That was Soul Society´s most dangerous invasion. So why would he not do the same with every other event?

Stinky

A better explanation of Yamamoto not using his bankai is just that Kubo was saving it and wasn't ready to reveal it yet. Sorry but trying to explain it any other way sounds ridiculous. Not that it would have done anything to Aizen, dat guy was hax.

Nisekoi

Haha, Chitoge's mother is set up like some sort of villain from something like One Piece. right down to the "establishing priceless sentimental object" early in the chapter and then later make the "villain" damage or talk shit about it.

mercviper

Eyeshield 21 ch. 1-143

Finally reading this. That panther arc was pretty cringe and lolworthy.

You've never heard the phrase, "what doesn't kill me makes me stronger"?

This is not an obscure concept.

Dude, I think you're confusing the word 'explicitly' with 'exclusively'

upandaway

Minamoto

Wow there, wow. That's not the reaction I expected from her!

Can't wait for Aunt's smile when she hears about this.

Nisekoi

The best thing about the popularity contest is that it would have been the same even without the 1500 Marika votes. Just a bit more and he could have made a difference!
I wonder if any of the others had that kind of thing too.

Things seem to be set up for Raku to make the mom not be a monumental jerk to Chitoge, so I hope at least that happens. As far as moms go, Onodera wins here!

Kreed

One Piece 696:

Law's doctor powers are broken because of his fruit, it's not fair to expect that level of ability from Chopper.

Agreed. Law can literally take a person apart piece by piece and find the root of the problem and fix it in no time.

I recognize it's not fair to compare the two of them power wise, but in the world of One Piece this doesn't matter when considering their end goals. Chopper wants to be the best/most dependable doctor. It doesn't matter what power his rivals/opponents have, that's his goal, similar to Luffy wanting to be the Pirate King/Zoro wanting to be the best swordsman etc. Remember when Zoro had to fight Mr. 2 with his ability to turn his body into metal? Was it fair to compare the two of their abilities? Yet Zoro overcame that. Chopper "should" be able to become a better doctor than Law at some point, if Oda still plans on keeping that theme in tact (who knows, maybe Law will stay better than Chopper in this area because of his powers?). Regardless as a reader of One Piece, Law curing the kids and Chopper running around screaming "Murderer" made Chopper look helpless in his strongest area. If Oda wanted to, he could have had Law not worry about the kids and let Chopper cure them somehow but I "think" Oda did that on purpose to give Chopper something to overcome, but we'll see.

Well take it like this: Law is a surgeon while Chopper is.. isn't. If you separate doctors by fields, even on the most basic barebones level, it would be "surgeons and everyone else", so the types of things Law and Chopper treat are (well, supposed to be) different. Also it's pretty much a given that Law's doctoring abilities are maxed out while Chopper is still leveling up.

I'm not really sure what kind of doctorship Chopper is supposed to be doing. Everyone were saved by so many doctors/miscellaneous people (ex. Ivankov) on so many levels with so much of a variety of problems. It's kind of impossible to expect Chopper to be SO RELIABLE that he can deal with all of this chaos.

This is where I disagree. Maybe not YET in terms of where the story is now, but by the end of One Piece, Chopper should be able to handle any situation as a doctor of the Straw Hat crew or he will have failed his goal IMO. Law, Ivankov can still be rivals in that regard, but Chopper should have his own way of handling any "doctor problem", with or without their Devil Fruit abilities.

scy

Toriko 219 - Mmm, these battles feel so hype. I refuse to believe Zaus went down like that so I'm sticking with some form of "he switched sides" to happen for him.

Mahou Shojo of the End

I still hate the loli.

Toriko

When Toriko starts going into blowout mode, it really does get crazy. This chapter was amazing. I love the matchups, but I expect them to be skirmishes and end in stalemates rather than being full-on battles.

I'm hoping for full fights but ... you might be right. That said, who is Zebra fighting? There's only three Vice Chef's if I recall so I guess Zebra's on ... guard duty? Mannnnnnnnnnn...

One Piece 696:

I recognize it's not fair to compare the two of them power wise, but in the world of One Piece this doesn't matter when considering their end goals. Chopper wants to be the best/most dependable doctor.

More accurately he wants to be able to cure any disease, it has nothing to do with competition. He's not going to challenge Law to a doctor showdown at the end of the series to prove that he can cure cancer faster.

Lirlond

Kreed: I think a good way to look at it is Law is a better surgeon than Chopper right now, and Ivankov is better with drugs and medicine. In order for Chopper to become a better doctor he has to beat both of them in their respective fields, and it's simply too early in the series for him to be able to do that.

scy

Nisekoi 59 - This is now a manga about the mothers isntead.

I'll reiterate my hope for this to shake up the status quo ("THE BOY FROM 10 YEARS AGO") but ... yeah. About that. ;_;

Eyeshield 21 ch. 1-143

Finally reading this. That panther arc was pretty cringe and lolworthy.

black musclessssssssssssssss

More accurately he wants to be able to cure any disease, it has nothing to do with competition. He's not going to challenge Law to a doctor showdown at the end of the series to prove that he can cure cancer faster.

Perhaps but you know what this means?

I now want Sanji to have an Iron Chef Cooking Battle at the end of the manga.

I refuse to accept anything less for him.

One Piece 696:

I recognize it's not fair to compare the two of them power wise, but in the world of One Piece this doesn't matter when considering their end goals. Chopper wants to be the best/most dependable doctor. It doesn't matter what power his rivals/opponents have, that's his goal, similar to Luffy wanting to be the Pirate King/Zoro wanting to be the best swordsman etc. Remember when Zoro had to fight Mr. 2 with his ability to turn his body into metal? Was it fair to compare the two of their abilities? Yet Zoro overcame that. Chopper "should" be able to become a better doctor than Law at some point, if Oda still plans on keeping that theme in tact (who knows, maybe Law will stay better than Chopper in this area because of his powers?). Regardless as a reader of One Piece, Law curing the kids and Chopper running around screaming "Murderer" made Chopper look helpless in his strongest area. If Oda wanted to, he could have had Law not worry about the kids and let Chopper cure them somehow but I "think" Oda did that on purpose to give Chopper something to overcome, but we'll see.

This is where I disagree. Maybe not YET in terms of where the story is now, but by the end of One Piece, Chopper should be able to handle any situation as a doctor of the Straw Hat crew or he will have failed his goal IMO. Law, Ivankov can still be rivals in that regard, but Chopper should have his own way of handling any "doctor problem", with or without their Devil Fruit abilities.

I honestly think it was to show the lengths of Law's DF more so than it was to show that Chopper is behind him as a doctor. We now know that Law's DF can cut people in so small of pieces that he can remove chemicals that have been ingested, but it takes him a lot of concentration. Law probably cured the kids a whole lot faster than Chopper would have, but there is no telling that Chopper couldn't have healed them. They would have just used different methods.

I also think Law wanted to handle it so they could keep moving. If he would have left it to Chopper it could have taken longer and Law told Luffy he wanted them to keep on the move. Chopper probably wouldn't have wanted to do anything until he made sure the kids were OK and Luffy would have had his back and there is no telling how long it would have taken.

I honestly think it was to show the lengths of Law's DF more so than it was to show that Chopper is behind him as a doctor. We now know that Law's DF can cut people in so small of pieces that he can remove chemicals that have been ingested, but it takes him a lot of concentration. Law probably cured the kids a whole lot faster than Chopper would have, but there is no telling that Chopper couldn't have healed them. They would have just used different methods.

I also think Law wanted to handle it so they could keep moving. If he would have left it to Chopper it could have taken longer and Law told Luffy he wanted them to keep on the move. Chopper probably wouldn't have wanted to do anything until he made sure the kids were OK and Luffy would have had his back and there is no telling how long it would have taken.
Law probably also wanted to help the kids but was too tsundere to say so.

Stinky

Seems like oda is always putting characters and plot threads to the side for later.

Whatever happened to the "Luffy will destroy Fishman Island" premonition? Was it wrong or might it happen later?

upandaway

Seems like oda is always putting characters and plot threads to the side for later.

Whatever happened to the "Luffy will destroy Fishman Island" premonition? Was it wrong or might it happen later?
It was already talked about at the end of FI, they said that it could still happen later on (months or years later)

He protected the island, ate all the candy and now the fat female pirate (big mama or whatever) wants to destroy the island. Luffy got angry and declared war, while putting FI under his protection.

iirc.

That was obviously foreshadowing for the final War Arc at the end of the manga which has been teased since the end of Marineford. Luffy is going to return to Mariejois to take down the World Government. That big ark is going to have something to do with it. We may not live long enough to see it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom