• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Do the Blackbeard Pirates even have a chef?

One needs to be created just for this.

I hope there's more to her than just being the helpless sidekick. I cannot shake the feeling she has something to do with the whole situation, knowingly or not.

I'm just bitter that the girl with the design I liked was viciously murdered in Chapter 1 and then she lived instead.

In retrospect, maybe that's the goal.

That was obviously foreshadowing for the final War Arc at the end of the manga which has been teased since the end of Marineford. Luffy is going to return to Mariejois to take down the World Government. That big ark is going to have something to do with it. We may not live long enough to see it happen.

Robo Oda Mk. IV to finish One Piece in 2217?

upandaway

Toriko 219 - Mmm, these battles feel so hype. I refuse to believe Zaus went down like that so I'm sticking with some form of "he switched sides" to happen for him.
My first instinct seeing him this chapter (the spark in my mind was probably earlier though, his first appearance-ish) was that he was in with the Bishokukai all along.

We all know how well that went for me last time I did this, so maybe not. But whatever it is, he sure as hell isn't out of this arc just like that.

I'm hoping for full fights but ... you might be right. That said, who is Zebra fighting? There's only three Vice Chef's if I recall so I guess Zebra's on ... guard duty? Mannnnnnnnnnn...
Zebra: The Most Savage Wild Beast™
- Guard
- Navigation
- Lost Finds

Assassination Classroom 27
tumblr_inline_mh3xp6f1n71rxvwn3.png

Havent seen such a reference since Nokemon of a few seasons ago. Glad I wasnt the only one to think the same. Pretty inspiring chapter, cant wait for more.

Kreed

One Piece 696:

More accurately he wants to be able to cure any disease, it has nothing to do with competition. He's not going to challenge Law to a doctor showdown at the end of the series to prove that he can cure cancer faster.

Definitely wasn't trying to imply this. I'm not expecting Nami to have a Navigator battle or Robin to have a "knowledge" battle with anyone either. But if Law started talking how to properly navigate to the next island and Nami was screaming "OMG magic", I'd say the same thing.

I honestly think it was to show the lengths of Law's DF more so than it was to show that Chopper is behind him as a doctor. We now know that Law's DF can cut people in so small of pieces that he can remove chemicals that have been ingested, but it takes him a lot of concentration. Law probably cured the kids a whole lot faster than Chopper would have, but there is no telling that Chopper couldn't have healed them. They would have just used different methods.

I also think Law wanted to handle it so they could keep moving. If he would have left it to Chopper it could have taken longer and Law told Luffy he wanted them to keep on the move. Chopper probably wouldn't have wanted to do anything until he made sure the kids were OK and Luffy would have had his back and there is no telling how long it would have taken.

It's not that any of what you're saying isn't true, but Chopper came off looking ineffective/not as effective in this chapter as a doctor in comparison to Law. It doesn't really matter the story context for it, that's how he came off from a reader's perspective. But even looking at what you're saying, you yourself are discussing the possibility of Chopper's methods being slower/not as effective. Would you have honestly thought that prior to this chapter considering Chopper was the only one trying to cure the children before this chapter?

It's not that any of what you're saying isn't true, but Chopper came off looking ineffective/not as effective in this chapter as a doctor in comparison to Law. It doesn't really matter the story context for it, that's how he came off from a reader's perspective. But even looking at what you're saying, you yourself are discussing the possibility of Chopper's methods being slower/not as effective. Would you have honestly thought that prior to this chapter considering Chopper was the only one trying to cure the children before this chapter?

I think you're reading too much into it, it was just Chopper misunderstanding the nature of Law's ability. They were probably discussing what to do about the kids and then Law starts cutting them up, what is Chopper supposed to think? He freaks out and by the time he comes back the treatment is done.

upandaway

One Piece 696:

This is where I disagree. Maybe not YET in terms of where the story is now, but by the end of One Piece, Chopper should be able to handle any situation as a doctor of the Straw Hat crew or he will have failed his goal IMO. Law, Ivankov can still be rivals in that regard, but Chopper should have his own way of handling any "doctor problem", with or without their Devil Fruit abilities.
Well yeah, by the end of the series. But I think that will be achieved, if anything, by Chopper doing big and story-centric feats first, and then relegating to all-around "little things" (like what Law did with the little kids, or would-be curing Brownbeard) after his skill is established. He won't out of nowhere start doing these little things that we know are still beyond him.

That said, a big thing for Chopper to start on would have been in this science-themed arc (he only barely managed to stabilize Mocha).. but that didn't happen. So I'm not sure if that's where Oda's going with Chopper.

Aside from Law and Ivankov, there's also Kuma who helped with Luffy's fatigue.. so many characters showed these kinds of things, it's crazy.

One Piece 696:It's not that any of what you're saying isn't true, but Chopper came off looking ineffective/not as effective in this chapter as a doctor in comparison to Law. It doesn't really matter the story context for it, that's how he came off from a reader's perspective. But even looking at what you're saying, you yourself are discussing the possibility of Chopper's methods being slower/not as effective. Would you have honestly thought that prior to this chapter considering Chopper was the only one trying to cure the children before this chapter?

Being slower doesn't necessarily mean less effective. They are just two different methods. If surgery and medicine both fix a medical issue they are both effective, one is just faster with most likely more risks(since he needed concentration).

Chopper freaking out just goes along with his character. He just freaked out when he saw the kids getting cut apart.

That said, a big thing for Chopper to start on would have been in this science-themed arc (he only barely managed to stabilize Mocha).. but that didn't happen. So I'm not sure if that's where Oda's going with Chopper.

Speaking of a science themed arc, is anyone else disappointed there was pretty much nothing to do with Vegapunk? Were on his damn island and all we get is a flashback with him not even in it?

scy

One Piece 696:

But even looking at what you're saying, you yourself are discussing the possibility of Chopper's methods being slower/not as effective. Would you have honestly thought that prior to this chapter considering Chopper was the only one trying to cure the children before this chapter?

To be honest? I was thinking that I liked the fact that Law's ability was "Operating Room" and that he ended up using it to surgically remove the poison. Considering what he did with removing hearts, it kind of seems like it was all set up for this to happen: To physically remove the poison.

I have no doubts that Chopper would have figured it out eventually. It's just easier/faster to physically remove it all* than to treat it.

*As silly of an idea it is that you can physically remove the poison, anyway.

Law should just replace every crew member not named Sanji or Zoro.

I would be down for a Law/Luffy buddy cop manga in the New World.

"Luffy, shit is getting real three islands away. We need to get there immediately."
"Really? Okay. I will go reserve the entire local barbeque joint."
"?!?!?!?!"

Number 1-8
Read this on a whim. The art's passable for what it is: a shoujo manga. But, it's borderline BL. I thought it would just be some sort of manga like Black Cat with the assassins and stuff. All the groping and the neck licking. The author even put in a shoe-licking scene.

The main character called "Number 5" is in a group of assassins called "Tanatos" and wants to kill another guy called "Number 1" who has Mihawk's sword (seriously look). It's filled to the brim with subtext (what is this?). Then there's a point where all the assassins have to kill each other and become "Number 1". I'm contemplating reading this just to the characters kill each other off (not really though, the guy who'll probably die next ("Number 3") is kind of rapey and considering that the "Number 4" guy basically licked "Number 5"'s neck and groped him before dying, I'm not looking forward to it). There's also shoehorned Norse mythology if that's your thing. Yggdrasil, Asgard, and all that jazz.

Overall feeling about this is meh. Just felt like sharing my thoughts about this.

scy

Yamada 45 - Bits of information about the witches in general. Wonder what exactly is going to happen when all the witches are found though. Do they work like Dragonballs?

Number 1-8
Read this on a whim. The art's passable for what it is: a shoujo manga. But, it's borderline BL. I thought it would just be some sort of manga like Black Cat with the assassins and stuff. All the groping and the neck licking. The author even put in a shoe-licking scene.

The main character called "Number 5" is in a group of assassins called "Tanatos" and wants to kill another guy called "Number 1" who has Mihawk's sword (seriously look). It's filled to the brim with subtext (what is this?). Then there's a point where all the assassins have to kill each other and become "Number 1". I'm contemplating reading this just to the characters kill each other off (not really though, the guy who'll probably die next ("Number 3") is kind of rapey and considering that the "Number 4" guy basically licked "Number 5"'s neck and groped him before dying, I'm not looking forward to it). There's also shoehorned Norse mythology if that's your thing. Yggdrasil, Asgard, and all that jazz.

Overall feeling about this is meh. Just felt like sharing my thoughts about this.

Pre-empting DTL to a BL series? Nice.

Stinky

Just told some of my 14 year old Scouts to read Berserk. Lets see how they like it lol.

Haha.

Was talking with my friend today about manga, he asked what the little puffy mouth demon in the first volume of Berserk was and I of course told him "no spoilers, but its a demon fetus "

His friend was so baffled when he namedropped Fap Master Kurosawa.

scy

Haha.

Was talking with my friend today about manga, he asked what the little puffy mouth demon in the first volume of Berserk was and I of course told him "no spoilers, but its a demon fetus "

His friend was so baffled when he namedropped Fap Master Kurosawa.

It was weird randomly bringing up Molester Man in a conversation. Even if it was with fellow GAF.

Bepo - "Law, let me go to Punk Hazard and help you out."
Law - "No."
Belo - "Im sorry for being alive.

I'm curious about Bepo's backstory. He probably comes from wherever Pekoms comes from, which means there's an island out there with a bunch of upright sentient talking animals.

upandaway

I'm curious about Bepo's backstory. He probably comes from wherever Pekoms comes from, which means there's an island out there with a bunch of upright sentient talking animals.
Every time someone mentions Pekoms I go through this 5-second automated routine of trying to remember which animal he is, turtle or lion, and then remembering he has both traits.

It's so counter-intuitive.

i swear im gonna start reading Soul eater again, im waaaaay back at chap 66, i promise i will catch up! i know i musta missed some good shit

Eyeshield 21 ch. 1-143

Finally reading this. That panther arc was pretty cringe and lolworthy.

Dude, I think you're confusing the word 'explicitly' with 'exclusively'

panther arc is best arc!

RagnarokX

One Piece

IIRC people were thinking that if Shanks was the one Law wanted to go after first when he proposed the alliance Luffy would have gotten angry, but it turns out that Luffy wanted to go after Shanks first.

Kreed

One Piece 696:

I think you're reading too much into it, it was just Chopper misunderstanding the nature of Law's ability. They were probably discussing what to do about the kids and then Law starts cutting them up, what is Chopper supposed to think? He freaks out and by the time he comes back the treatment is done.

Being slower doesn't necessarily mean less effective. They are just two different methods. If surgery and medicine both fix a medical issue they are both effective, one is just faster with most likely more risks(since he needed concentration).

Chopper freaking out just goes along with his character. He just freaked out when he saw the kids getting cut apart.

Honestly none of this Chopper business would have stood out for me so much if it wasn't for Sanji getting his chance to shine in the same chapter by cooking a great meal and to a lesser extent Franky, Nami, and Ussop from a chapter before and this chapter (like they always do at the end of One Piece arcs). Maybe it's because it's Chopper so it's not as big of a deal for most people or because it's not a "fighting issue" like Zoro running into other swordsmen and having to establish himself as the superior fighter in most instances (aka Brooke and his shadow) or else he'll look weak, but I don't think this would be something to just "ignore" if it was any other Straw Hat's main strength coming into question as a gag or otherwise (say, Law cooking the party meal instead of Sanji, with Sanji having shocking reactions). Anyway that's just how it looks to me in this chapter. Oda could have Chopper be a badass next chapter and all of this arguing would be pointless anyway.

Stinky

Space Brothers is serious business yo

+ dat Main Theme in the anime :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXiiCvqDryQ

Haha I was wondering where "feel so moon" came from until I found the opening, which by the way is beyond incredible.

Huh? The translation I read said something different I think.

The first one really fucked up this conversation. As far as I'm aware Luffy was supposed to say "ah, so Shanks isn't first then?"

It is kind of out of character for him to want to take down Shanks (But its totally him to want to beat all 4 haha)

EDIT: Here are both

Superior version;
FNJvDbP.png

Earlier version:
8UXqAnB.png

One Piece

IIRC people were thinking that if Shanks was the one Law wanted to go after first when he proposed the alliance Luffy would have gotten angry, but it turns out that Luffy wanted to go after Shanks first.

Going back to the topic in may, it seems to imply that I think people were more in question of if Luffy actually needed Law or not in regards to ever taking down Shanks.

Korosenai

The first one really fucked up this conversation. As far as I'm aware Luffy was supposed to say "ah, so Shanks isn't first then?"

It is kind of out of character for him to want to take down Shanks (But its totally him to want to beat all 4 haha)
It is out of character for him to want to beat Shanks, but I think Luffy is just really ready to see Shanks and show him just how good he is and what all he's learned.

Basically, he's not saying "I want to kick his ass", he's saying "I can't wait to see him and prove that I'm the better fighter" or something along that line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom