• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajun

Neo Member
I dont mention it because it was more of a transitional arc for me. That's why earlier I said "traditional arc"...things like S.A., Amazon Lily, Impel Down, etc. Dont count.

Yeah I can understand that, but I feel like some of the best parts of OP are not the traditional arcs. Skypiea, Thriller Bark, F.I., and the middle of Punk Hazard (when it turned into a traditional arc) were all boring to me. Jaya, both Saboady arcs, Amazon Lily, and post-Enies were all filled with great moments that didn't feel forced to fit a formula.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Yeah I can understand that, but I feel like some of the best parts of OP are not the traditional arcs. Skypiea, Thriller Bark, F.I., and the middle of Punk Hazard (when it turned into a traditional arc) were all boring to me. Jaya, both Saboady arcs, Amazon Lily, and post-Enies were all filled with great moments that didn't feel forced to fit a formula.
I agree wholeheartedly. The nontraditional arcs are the best arcs in One Piece. Its because it's not full of all the bullshit of the regular arcs.

Hunter X Hunter Greed Island Arc

I'll let my last several post of rage be all I say about the artwork

Now then about the plot of Greed Island I dunno if I liked it or not. I enjoyed seeing Gon and Killua train a lot under Biscuit and become stronger but it seemed like training them took up half the arc. The idea of GI being a real place honestly I thought was a dumb twist that really made very little impact in the scheme of things outside of setting up the ending of Gon meeting Kaito again instead of Ginn (TROLLOLOLOL). I'm also going to have to complain again about Kurapika and Leorio sitting this arc out, Biscuit is a good character but she doesn't have the same chemistry as the core four.

The highlight was the dodge ball match, seeing Gon, Killua, and Hisoka work together was pretty awesome. Gon's final battle with the Bomb Devil was truly spectacular and even if Gon did get his hand back in the end thanks to nen game magic it truly was gruesome to see Gon fighting with a burnt stub.

I know that the next arc is the "BESTEST" one and where the infamous hiatus x hiatus begins.

Edit: Giant ant thing WAAAAAAT?

Why does no one ever mention Saboady Archipelago? Easily my favorite arc, from the unique island design, to the introduction of the supernovae, to Luffy punching the Tenryubito in the face, to "the final day of the strawhat crew."

That arc was the change in pace OP needed for me, because at that point, every arc was quickly devolving into a formula.

The main reason i liked the arc was due to the status quo change by their utter defeat.

The other arcs had them making it even though it was gonna be close (end of Enies for example) but they were just completely outclassed in that arc.

Atredeus

Neo Member
Every new junior should have to take him 100% seriously all the time until they become a full member.

I'm a junior, and I caught on to him and Beam before even posting.

Why does no one ever mention Saboady Archipelago? Easily my favorite arc, from the unique island design, to the introduction of the supernovae, to Luffy punching the Tenryubito in the face, to "the final day of the strawhat crew."

That arc was the change in pace OP needed for me, because at that point, every arc was quickly devolving into a formula.

Why is no one mentioning Marineford?... I really think it's by far the most epic arc, and had the biggest impact on the world, as well as staging probably overall the main villain (or at least a final boss in the future).

Man these translators should at least know the names of the moves if they're going to work on an MMA manga.

What manga?... Tough?

Molester Man 19

Well at least she wasn't stabbed.

Feel bad for Molester, but atleast he isn't giving up just yet.

TWGOK 217

Little Yui continues to be adorable.

And looks like we're going to get some much need info next week.

upandaway

Hunter X Hunter Greed Island Arc

I'll let my last several post of rage be all I say about the artwork
I say this every time HxH scribbles are brought up.. I'll go one last time: Yeah, they're really bad. Yeah, they're unforgivable. And yeah, saying "but" here is a bit wrong. BUT

They're still about ~10 chapters of scribbles. They're not a huge amount of chapters and were somewhat roughed into shape for the volume releases anyway. I heard some people not read HxH because of how much publicity those couple of chapters get.

Just so we're clear, among the volume releases, the only really offensive chapters (that weren't fixed to an acceptable way in the volumes, ex. turkey) are 182-185 (with some of 186 and 187), from my memory. Even if we go conservative, it would still be from 179 to around 187 or 188. The weekly were total armageddon though, from as early as ~165 into ~190, I think.

I may be wrong on the chapter numbers since it's been a long time, but I think those are the amounts at least.

I say this every time HxH scribbles are brought up.. I'll go one last time: Yeah, they're really bad. Yeah, they're unforgivable. And yeah, saying "but" here is a bit wrong. BUT

They're still about ~10 chapters of scribbles. They're not a huge amount of chapters and were somewhat roughed into shape for the volume releases anyway. I heard some people not read HxH because of how much publicity those couple of chapters get.

Just so we're clear, among the volume releases, the only really offensive chapters (that weren't fixed to an acceptable way in the volumes, ex. turkey) are 182-185 (with some of 186 and 187), from my memory. Even if we go conservative, it would still be from 179 to around 187 or 188. The weekly were total armageddon though, from as early as ~165 into ~190, I think.

I may be wrong on the chapter numbers since it's been a long time, but I think those are the amounts at least.

Yeah the story was good enough that it didn't bother me, and the more I read of this Chimera Ant arc it's clear the art has taken a turn for the better. It's still not as great as it was in the first 150ish chapters but it's at least acceptable.

Cwarrior

Skypiea and Thriller Bark are the best arcs in One Piece.
NiceGorillaSharkHighFive.png
Skypiea is really great arc far better then anything that came before it(much better then alabasta and arlong park) and Thriller bark is also an amazing(Dat straw hat team battle) both are up their with best of op arcs/

Wow, anime really does make everything worse.

hey it's not cool to hate on Sokeking song

Skypiea was the best written arc by no small margin, had the best Luffy fight and the best flashback while having more active threads than most of the other arcs. But 6 months after it ended, people couldn't stop bitching about bububu no powerups fuck you oda where's my angel crewmate bullshit. Just goes to show you how short the attention spans of One Piece fans are.

People weren't bitching about the lack of powerups and new crewmember, they were bitching about the glacial pacing and uninteresting villains compared to previous arcs, and less than stellar fights.

Big One

Banned
Skypiea, Drum Island, and Arlong Park are my fave OP arcs. Everyone raves about Enies Lobby, but it's full of the same bullshit everyone complains about in other manga, such as asspulls (Diablo Jambe, Asura, etc.), cheesy friendship shit, Luffy, on the brink of death, managing to beat Lucci... Just seemed like a generic Shonen fight arc to me.
There is 0 problems with the actual cliches. It's the execution that matters, always. Every manga people read on this board are cliche at all (this extends to all forms of storytelling). It's just the execution that really resonates with people.

People who complain about cliches need to get a clue. It isn't about whether certain stuff did it before, it's about how that stuff is done and if you look at it objectively you'll see that most of the stuff in the past not only did the same exact thing but were of lower quality (Dragonball and One Piece come in mind with this situation).

People weren't bitching about the lack of powerups and new crewmember, they were bitching about the glacial pacing and uninteresting villains compared to previous arcs, and less than stellar fights.

I actually thought Enel was one of the most interesting villains in One Piece. I probably would've taken issue with the pacing more if I wasn't powering through it in one go.

Piecake

Time for some French manga!

Dreamland 1-9

Were this an actual manga, it would definitely feel super off in both art and storytelling, but since it's not, it's not that bad. Does a pretty good job at emulating the feel of shounen, something I've yet to encounter in any non-Japanese/Korean comic.

The premise and name is pretty damn generic, but it's being built on in a way that makes it enjoyable. There's a whole world in the land of dreams that people can explore and stuff, with its own conflicts and whatnot. But you have to become a "Traveler" to do that, which lets you enter other peoples dreams and just explore the world in general without getting caught up in your own dreams.

Fun series, but the romance drama is pretty bullshit.

I tried reading it because the concept was cool, but the romance, like you said, is terrible, and the characters arent interesting or really developed

Big One

Banned
No, they were.
Where did you ever get this from? Especially since the characters did get powerups in the form of dials. Also this was the first arc we saw Robin actually fighting and doing shit.

People just didn't care about Skypeia because the pacing was shit. That's always the complaint that comes up.

There was no power ups in Arlong Park and Drum Island but those are huge fan-favorite arcs too.

I thought Skypeia did drag in the middle during the survival game with the highlights there being Chopper and Robin's fights. Once it got down the to final five though it was a non stop roller coast of awesome to the end. Honestly the only parts I didn't enjoy were Amazon Lilly through Marineford because just Luffy alone isn't anywhere near as good.

Azure J

If I had to rank them as sagas:

Water 7 - Enies Lobby Saga
Jaya - Skypiea Saga
Saobody Archipelago - Marineford Saga
Thriller Bark
Alabasta
East Blue

If we had to rank them individually

Water 7
Skypiea
Thriller Bark
Enies Lobby
Marineford
Impel Down
Alabasta
Arlong Park
Amazon Lily
Baratie
Early East Blue

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Chapter-wise, Skypiea is the longest arc in One Piece. 66 chapters.
Alabasta is the second-longest with 63 chapters.
Fishman Island is only the fifth longest with 51 chapters.

Personally, I feel there hasn't been a "bad" One Piece arc. Davy Back Fight came close but Aokiji saved it. Sure some arcs drag, but there hasn't been an outright bad arc.

Chapter-wise, Skypiea is the longest arc in One Piece. 66 chapters.
Alabasta is the second-longest with 63 chapters.
Fishman Island is only the fifth longest with 51 chapters.

Personally, I feel there hasn't been a "bad" One Piece arc. Davy Back Fight came close but Aokiji saved it. Sure some arcs drag, but there hasn't been an outright bad arc.

Honestly I consider Aokiji to be beginning of Water 7 and not the end of Davy Back. Aokiji is too good of a character to make his appearance in Davy Back

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Could be. I've never read Doraemon. Can you point them out for us?

This really reminds me of its art style. Though now that I think about it it's a bit of a stretch.

ueFcQbx.png

I do recall some doraemon references in previous chapters though.

I grew up reading Doraemon. It was one of the most popular translated mangas in Malaysia.

Me and my friends flipped out when Jean Reno starred as Doraemon in those Toyota commercials.

Hell yeah. I grew up in singapore but it's still roughly the same region. :p

BatDan

Honestly I consider Aokiji to be beginning of Water 7 and not the end of Davy Back. Aokiji is too good of a character to make his appearance in Davy Back

Maybe in the anime where there was additional filler separating Luffy's fight with Foxy and their encounter with Aokiji.
But in the manga, Aokiji is on Long Ring Long Land (where it all took place) and helps Tonjit get home.
I guess that's why the OP Wiki refers to it as the Long Ring Long Land arc.

oni_saru

Premise is interesting and art is fantastic. Sadly, it couldn't hold my attention very long. Once I finished all the available material I dropped it. A lot of style, very little substance.

Yes a lot of style definitely. I think I'll continue it despite the weird direction it's going to right now simply because Miwa seems to know what the overall story will be about. It's just he's taking his time and maybe changing his mind on some details as he goes.

Also i just really love the art. I bought one of the Devil May Cry novels just for the Miwa art. Dat Vergil design!!

I actually thought Enel was one of the most interesting villains in One Piece. I probably would've taken issue with the pacing more if I wasn't powering through it in one go.

Same for me Enel is mt favorite Villain and I absolutely loved Skypiea maybe had I been fallowing it weekly I would have had a problem but powering through it was complete bliss words cannot express my disgust in seeing forum posters shitting over it.

Kreed

Liar Game 167:

The explanation of Akiyama's plan was decent, although I'm surprised they didn't give more credit to Nao and her persistence. But this was an "ok" end to Harimoto's group (after revealing the true mastermind, I doubt this group will have any more major roles in any more Liar Games). The story of Harimoto's group and how they all got involved in Liar Game should be fun though.

Silver Spoon 66:

Kind of boring compared to the previous few chapters, both in humor and in story progress. The highlight was the last panel with the "What's this about skipping?" comment. I'm hoping Hachiken comes up with a money making plan in the next two chapters.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Same for me Enel is mt favorite Villain and I absolutely loved Skypiea maybe had I been fallowing it weekly I would have had a problem but powering through it was complete bliss words cannot express my disgust in seeing forum posters shitting over it.
I marathoned it and still thought it was shit. Okay, it wasn't shit, but it wasn't great either. It was just way too long and boring and I didn't give a fuck about most of the shit in it. I actually really liked Enel too.

Okay, no. Skypiea was shit.

Oh, picture my avatar spitting that truth to you, too.

Big One

Banned
Enel was fantastic. Luffy vs. God? Sign me up. Considering the dude is still probably the most powerful enemy in One Piece also makes him pretty badass. Enel totaled EVERYONE, and was a master of haki just like every other character in One Piece currently (probably at an even higher level, too). The only problem was his weakness to rubber, which so conveniently was Luffy's power.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Enel was fantastic. Luffy vs. God? Sign me up. Considering the dude is still probably the most powerful enemy in One Piece also makes him pretty badass. Enel totaled EVERYONE, and was a master of haki just like every other character in One Piece currently (probably at an even higher level, too). The only problem was his weakness to rubber, which so conveniently was Luffy's power.
Enel was one of my favorite villains for sure. He was funny, he totally kicked ass, and he wasn't up for Luffy's bullshit. Their fights were good too.

He would get wrecked by some big wigs, though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Silver Spoon 66:

Kind of boring compared to the previous few chapters, both in humor and in story progress. The highlight was the last panel with the "What's this about skipping?" comment. I'm hoping Hachiken comes up with a money making plan in the next two chapters.

I hope he never does. Would complete the manga's ultimate message of the futility of life.

Big One

Banned
Akainu
Aokiji
Kizaru
Mihawk
Big Mom
Kaidou
Sengoku
Garp

Must I go on?
Until any of these guys can read minds, kill people from afar on a whim, dodge every move, etc. none of them are more powerful. In terms of sheer, raw power Enel probably the best in this regard. That's why literally no one had a chance against him in that arc, with the exception of Luffy.

As for creating an engaging story of course someone like Garp will end up kicking Enel's ass, but if you take it from a statistical point Enel would pretty much total most of the One Piece universe. He has too much going for him and too much advantage over others.

BatDan

Until any of these guys can read minds, kill people from afar on a whim, dodge every move, etc. none of them are more powerful. In terms of sheer, raw power Enel probably the best in this regard. That's why literally no one had a chance against him in that arc, with the exception of Luffy.

As for creating an engaging story of course someone like Garp will end up kicking Enel's ass, but if you take it from a statistical point Enel would pretty much total most of the One Piece universe.

When could Eneru read minds?

Big One

Banned
When could Eneru read minds?
Okay not reading minds, but Enel could hear everyone's voices across the whole territory in Skypeia. That's why he literally killed people who denounced him as God or doubted him. Enel is stronger than people give him credit for.

As for creating an engaging story of course someone like Garp will end up kicking Enel's ass, but if you take it from a statistical point Enel would pretty much total most of the One Piece universe.

Bullshit they all have haki or can sense a person\ animals Rayleigh did just that , destroying things from afar no problem for them either .
Only reason Enel was able to do all that shit vs luffy was because he was slow as hell and had no idea what haki was .
Also Enel raw power was a joke without that arc , did everyone forget the machine that was just making storm clouds for him .

Until any of these guys can read minds
It's called Observation Haki, tons of people have it.

kill people from afar on a whim
Van Auger could do this too. Van Auger for Yonkou.

dodge every move
It's called Observation Haki.

That's why literally no one had a chance against him in that arc
You missed the entire point of the arc and what made it special, which is a shame. The point of Skypeia was the cultural isolationism relative to the Blue Sea. This is reflected in how dirt is valuable while gold is worthless, in their technologies, and in the main antagonist. Enel had a literal God Complex because he knew nothing of the world outside Skypeia and truly believed that he was the strongest person in the world; after all, nothing he had seen in Skypeia had ever indicated differently.

Fortunately for us Oda has explicitly addressed this issue in SBS 43.

D: Question!! If God Enel were to descend to the Blue Sea, how much would his bounty be? Also, what would happen if he did that? Would he rule the Blue Sea? P.N. Gorozoro

O: I see. Interesting question. Knowing how tricky he would be to beat, I'd imagine he could reach as much as 500,000,000 Beli. Luffy was lucky to be rubber. But like Luffy said, there all sorts of even crazier guys down on the Blue Sea. Enel would NOT rule it.
He is not more powerful than the fucking Yonkou, get a grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom