• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

Eyeshield 21 ch 206-240

Well, that was an epic game. To be honest, this seems like the proper time to end the series- Sena has finally beaten Shin, which is the story we were working on since the beginning. Anything else that happens now is going to be somewhat of a letdown from this emotional high. The game itself was fantastic- for the first time in the series, we saw fear and weakness from Hiruma (Shin before halftime), and while this was a pretty big case of "power of friendship", it all fit in with the story and wasn't too cheesy.

Apart from the length (again, reading this game over 8 months or so would have been HELL), the only problem I had was with a complete brainfart of strategy at the end of the game- when Deimon scored with 1 min left, why the fuck did they kick an extra point to go up 2 instead of attempting a 2pt conversion to go up 3 (so an opposing FG only ties it)?!? In that situation, there is actually zero difference between 0 and 1 points, but 2 points is huge.

IHaveIce

Banned
I know its been discussed countless times regarding One Piece but:

Should I just dive into the anime to catch up and then go manga or just stick to the manga?

I was watching the anime and stopped at the start of what I believe is a filler arc (the Apis arc)

Never watch filler arcs, never.

Atredeus

Neo Member
Why do you hurt yourself when you can stop?

You should read All-Rounder Meguru instead of Teppu. It's by Hiroki Endo and although it isn't as good as his previous work (Eden: It's An Endless World), it's pretty decent if you like MMA.

Honestly, I felt like Holyland really built up to MMA in a really good way. Not the best fighting manga, but treated all the different style with decent respect and technical knowledge.

bigkrev

Eyeshield 21 ch 241-242

I know that there is no chance of this happening (due to the tone of the manga), but it would be so cool if Gaou somehow killed Riku in this upcoming game. SOMETHING bad should be happening to him in this game based on the build, but him being killed would probably give enough emotional weight to the following game to make it bigger than the Ojo showdown. Late night whistful thinking, though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Honestly, I felt like Holyland really built up to MMA in a really good way. Not the best fighting manga, but treated all the different style with decent respect and technical knowledge.

It would be pretty good if not for creating one of the worst endings I've seen.

Oh yeah I love Holyland, but the nature of the battles in that manga are pure street fights. Some of the theories in fighting for it can't be used in MMA.

upandaway

TWOGK 217

I might be the only one who cares of or recognises the Doraemon references.
I recognized at least 3 or 4 but I felt like they were a bit too abrupt and obvious and didn't know if they should be funny or what, so I just ignore them.

Should I just dive into the anime to catch up and then go manga or just stick to the manga?

I was watching the anime and stopped at the start of what I believe is a filler arc (the Apis arc)
As a general rule in the anime, even in their worst adapted arc, they know when to slap the budget. "Important" scenes are usually great and feel really satisfying. If you're fine with pacing then the anime is pretty good. Music is really crazy too.

And yeah no filler, skip that.

The problem with Skypeia was the same as the problem with Fishman Island and Punk Hazard: we saw Luffy had the upper hand over the big bad, but the fight just kept dragging on and on. It wasn't like Luffy had to come up with new techniques, he just had to keep chasing the villain until eventually he was out for the count.

Best arcs for me are Water 7 and Sabaody, with Alabastra being the worst.

whaaa...? i loved Alabasta. revolution against a greater power. i really think Oda intentionally uses themes that are timeless (so far). and that's why i love OP. time and time again we've seen these themes throughout today and even history. for people of today we may think of the arab spring, or even saddam. fishman island teaches about discrimination, racism, etc. i truly believe some of the themes are totally universal. i don't mean to demean other manga, but some of the motivation and backstory of some villains are just so far-fetched. of course there are themes in one piece that doesn't mirror any reality of past and present.

loved the most was water 7. robin's sacrifice, conflict within the group, saying goodbye to merry, new powers, new nakama. it's literally the best.

worst? probably thriller bark. i just didn't feel it. zoro was badass, but everything else was ehhh...

marineford was underwhelming. i mean, it's the best of the best, strongest of the strongest. there was so little demonstration of capabilities. total lack of haki, in this supposed Great War.

didn'r really care too much about the whole luffy/ace backstory or even ace's execution. they should've showed ace's backstory first before his execution. that way, at least we could've gotten more attached to his character.

what i don't like about One Piece now is either a) too many StrawHat members or b) new members don't have too much lines, or repeat the same lines (brooke joke or super franky). come on, develop them as much as the previous ones before introducing a new nakama. i still couldn't get a feel for brooke's and franky's characters' other dimensions.

marineford was underwhelming. i mean, it's the best of the best, strongest of the strongest. there was so little demonstration of capabilities. total lack of haki, in this supposed Great War.

That was one aspect of the war that i think was great .
We saw how powerful some of the characters can be but Oda did not spend much time on fights or abilities .
Certain characters we going to see again and we going to see more about haki in time no need to go to deep about it in the war .

wonzo

Banned
Nozoki Ana 37-63
nozokiana60.png

lmao. This shit's so dumb and predictable you can't help but laugh at just how shameless it is. I saw that "Weekend Boyfriend" shit coming from a mile away.

Wow who knew my comment about Skypia would cause a huge debate lol.

What I really disliked about the arc were the henchmen who I don't remember the names of and the Native tribe members who are just as forgettable. The history and fights were good but the pacing really killed the arc for me.

Marineford was one of the stupid arc imo, seeing Luffy rush to Ace and get blown away was boring as hell. He literally didn't do anything except OHKO Coby and get knocked out himself.

Thiller Bark was terrible at the beginning but the end fight made it bearable.

Right now OP is missing its fall back on the crew's past. No one mentions their dreams much or advances them in a way like Zoro being able to cut metal or fight Mihawk.

Also the timeskip has been a bit of a mess as it seems like the crew is either OP or underpowered sometimes. But Oda seems to be getting back into the groove of things so I'm happy about that.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
My main beef with OP is you know the Strawhats are never in real danger. No way is Oda is killing them off until they achieve their dreams, or else their journey would be pointless. It was obvious they'd escape the Buster Call and save Robin, obvious they'd escape Kizaru on Sabaody, obvious Luffy was going to survive Magellan's poison, obvious they'd escape Caesars "deadly" gas, and it'll be obvious they'll beat or escape Doflamingo. It's not Oda's fault though, as the layout of the story intends it to be this way.
That's why I much prefer chapters focusing on the world at large, rather than the crew itself.... they're a lot more unpredictable.

Atredeus

Neo Member
Marineford was one of the stupid arc imo, seeing Luffy rush to Ace and get blown away was boring as hell. He literally didn't do anything except OHKO Coby and get knocked out himself.

That was honestly the point. I like the fact that Oda isn't afraid to set up his MC as a small fish in a big pond. Even now, he shouldn't be compared to yonkou. And it's epic that an arc happened the included the MC with a lot of emotional intensity where he factored in very little. I haven't seen it in the big 3 (where the MC has always been the "big damn heroes" moment). It makes it much more realistic, and a much more believable framing device for the continued growth that the MC is sure to go through. This gives you an idea of where Luffy's potential lies.

My main beef with OP is you know the Strawhats are never in real danger. No way is Oda is killing them off until they achieve their dreams, or else their journey would be pointless. It was obvious they'd escape the Buster Call and save Robin, obvious they'd escape Kizaru on Sabaody, obvious Luffy was going to survive Magellan's poison, obvious they'd escape Caesars "deadly" gas, and it'll be obvious they'll beat or escape Doflamingo. It's not Oda's fault though, as the layout of the story intends it to be this way.
That's why I much prefer chapters focusing on the world at large, rather than the crew itself.... they're a lot more unpredictable.

That is the same for every big shonen , main characters hardly get kill off.
The ones that do hardly important anymore or don't matter .
SH getting destroy and split apart for 2 years was unpredictable to all most everyone .

That was honestly the point. I like the fact that Oda isn't afraid to set up his MC as a small fish in a big pond. Even now, he shouldn't be compared to yonkou. And it's epic that an arc happened the included the MC with a lot of emotional intensity where he factored in very little. I haven't seen it in the big 3 (where the MC has always been the "big damn heroes" moment). It makes it much more realistic, and a much more believable framing device for the continued growth that the MC is sure to go through. This gives you an idea of where Luffy's potential lies.

It's the arc along with Sabaody that made Luffy realize how powerless he was compare to other characters .
Which made him listen to Rayleigh and power up , if want to do what ever you want you need the power to do so.

YAWN

That is the same for every big shonen main characters hardly get kill off.
The ones that do hardly important anymore or don't matter .

But there is a sense of danger. People legitimately thought Kakashi died during the Pain invasion, not only because it was stated, but also due to the circumstances. Same with Byakuya in the current arc. Replace them with Sanji, who you know won't die until he finds All Blue, and the sense of danger is gone. You know he's going to survive no matter what.
Plus there are Shonen where main characters do die, such as Jojo's.

upandaway

Can't say I agree with that. Whether we know that they'll stay alive or not, that knowledge is meaningless as long as the solution to their predicament is always solid in the context of the story. Either way it goes, I still see them "in real danger" as long as they don't cheat their way out of everything, just as much as if I was reading something where characters do die all the time.

Some examples! Fairy Tail, where no one dies because they cheat their way out of every situation nonsensically, and Akame ga Kill where people either die or survive randomly on the whim of the author: both of them have a far weaker sense of danger than OP to me. The end result is irrelevant, what matters is how they get there.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Skypiea is awesome just because Nami gets to play an important part at the end (and at the beginning too) instead of just generally standing there acting as Ms. fan-service for the readers.

Speaking of Nami: her new hair is awesome but her new New World costume is, frankly speaking, ridiculous, gah.

But there is a sense of danger. People legitimately thought Kakashi died during the Pain invasion, not only because it was stated, but also due to the circumstances. Same with Byakuya in the current arc. Replace them with Sanji, who you know won't die until he finds All Blue, and the sense of danger is gone. You know he's going to survive no matter what.
Plus there are Shonen where main characters do die, such as Jojo's.

The pain arc also help destroy the sense of danger in Naruto with Kakashi so i don't think of that as a plus
Byakuya is hardly important which was my second point .
JoJo is a exception because of how it's set up which awesome by the way .

Still my point is there no sense of danger for most main characters \groups in big Shonen manga when it comes to fights .
We all know they going to live in the context of there story .

And a personality transplant.

Robin personality is awesome .

YAWN

Can't say I agree with that. Whether we know that they'll stay alive or not, that knowledge is meaningless as long as the solution to their predicament is always solid in the context of the story. Either way it goes, I still see them "in real danger" as long as they don't cheat their way out of everything, just as much as if I was reading something where characters do die all the time.

Some examples! Fairy Tail, where no one dies because they cheat their way out of every situation nonsensically, and Akame ga Kill where people either die or survive randomly on the whim of the author: both of them have a far weaker sense of danger than OP to me. The end result is irrelevant, what matters is how they get there.

But is the solution always that great?
Pell survived a nuke just because. Waiper survived that dial that was supposed to kill if you over used it just because. The Strawhats escaped the Buster Call because their broken ship conveniently sailed to their exact postion. Luffy survived Magellan's poison through conveniently meeting the only guy in the world who could get rid of it, and survived the operation through willpower. They survived Smiley by running away from it for a couple of chapters. Most of this stuff would be right at home in Fairy Tail.
Don't get me wrong, I love One Piece, and it is a well written story. I just feel it get's passes on aspects other manga's get criticized for.

upandaway

Pell survived a nuke just because. Waiper survived that dial that was supposed to kill if you over used it just because. The Strawhats escaped the Buster Call because their broken ship conveniently sailed to their exact postion. Luffy survived Magellan's poison through conveniently meeting the only guy in the world who could get rid of it, and survived the operation through willpower. They survived Smiley by running away from it for a couple of chapters. Most of this stuff would be right at home in Fairy Tail.
Don't get me wrong, I love One Piece, and it is a well written story. I just feel it get's passes on aspects other manga's get criticized for.
Well you had to go and choose the things I'd agree with you on! Especially Pell, that wasn't cool. Magellan and Smiley were ok.
OP definitely has those moments, I was just being all "in general" there, it was about the point (on the end result stuff)! And you seem to agree so hey.

And a personality transplant.

Oh and yeah, Water 7 was the best arc: the Aqua Laguna, the Usopp vs. Luffi, the old ship --> new ship, etc etc.

No contest.

Bleh... at the very least she's not as boring as Zoro.

He's sitting firmly at the bottom in my "Most interesting Straw Hat members" list.

You guys are crazy. Robin's lack of fights sucks because her personality is so awesome (see: her reaction to docking), and Zoro is just cool, ok? It's nice having strawhats that aren't hyper all the time.

I'll be honest, eventhough those parts are bad for sure, it's nowhere NEAR FT level.

With FT my expectations are as low as possible and it still pisses me off by surprising me in bad ways.

If it was FT Natsu would've survived Magellan's poison because of his love for his friends, They would've avoided Smiley's poison by fighting it and winning And Merry's return would've ended up with Merry surviving and staying around.
Possibly in human form as a new FT member so they could still have a new cool ship.

Not even Naruto hyperventilating reaches FT levels of bad.

Bleh... at the very least she's not as boring as Zoro.

He's sitting firmly at the bottom in my "Most interesting Straw Hat members" list.

I have to agree Zoro is cool \ manly \ honor along few other aspects that we see in swordsmen all the time .
I love Robin because of how dark she is and then you see her child\female like side sometimes.

I agree but when comes to sense of danger i think context matters more than fights .

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You guys are crazy. Robin's lack of fights sucks because her personality is so awesome (see: her reaction to docking), and Zoro is just cool, ok? It's nice having strawhats that aren't hyper all the time.

My list:

Usopp >> Nami >> Sanji >> Robin >> Luffy >> Franky >> Brook >> Chopper = Zoro.

Zoro and Chopper are both uninteresting characters in my eyes. Well... uninteresting might be too strong of a word but they are certainly not as interesting as the rest of the strawhats.

YAWN

The pain arc also help destroy the sense of danger in Naruto with Kakashi so i don't think of that as a plus
Byakuya is hardly important which was my second point .
JoJo is a exception because of how it's set up which awesome by the way .

Still my point is there no sense of danger for most main characters \groups in big Shonen manga when it comes to fights .
We all know they going to live in the context of there story .

The Pain arc DID destroy Naruto's sense of danger, but we didn't know that at the time of Kakashi's death. Replace him with a Strawhat member and there wouldn't be a sense of danger in the first place.
Byakuya, in my opnion, is one the main characters. He's more developed than Ichigo's friends, and has taken place in much more fights. Kubo probably did intend for him to die, due to his appearance on the volume cover, with Kubo now stating he should have put Chojiro on it, but due to the less than stellar sales and table of contents rankings, his editors advised him otherwise.
Jojo's set-up is awesome, as you never know if a character will die. That's why I have a problem with OP's set-up, and set-ups which are based on main character's dreams and goals in general.
7 Seeds spoilers :
That's why I don't believe Hana is dead in 7 Seeds, as the author has hyped her and Arashi's eventual meeting since the beginning.

upandaway

Baby Steps

Nabae was unreasonably godly for a while, so it's about time they bring him down a few notches. Otherwise it will just feel weird for Ei-chan to be the only one who can beat him ever, and not very Baby Steps-y.

Natsu being Natsu was just the dandiest thing.

Pyrokles

Neo Member
After watching Game of Thrones and preparing for an exam (which I mostly procrastinated anyway due to GoT) for the last week I can finally catch up on some manga now.

It depends on how much you can tolerate slooooooooooooow pacing. I think it started getting to the current pace at the beginning of Amazon Lily (~ episode 400). From then on it's always been 1 chapter = 1 episode. If you don't mind that or in gerenal just prefer anime then go with the anime, but otherwise read the manga. It will also save you some time since watching one episode takes as long as reading 2-3 chapters. However as upandaway said try to watch the important scenes later if you read the manga because those are almost always nice to watch mostly thanks to Tanaka's soundtrack.

D. Gray Man Vol. 1 (Ch. 1-7)

This is pretty cool so far. Allen is a fun character and The Millenium Earl is just awesome. I absolutely love his design and silly personality, looking forward to more of him. Time to start the first mission.

I have been meaning to start that, but its just far easy to start all the one and two volume series that I have.

Naruto Part 1

This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I didn't really enjoy it that much. The story is pretty average, nothing aful but nothing great either. The story can be absolute dog shit though if I like the characters, too bad most of them are shit. Sakura is a terrible heroine who doesn't do a whole lot and is kind of annoying as well. Naruto didn't really improve as a character and he kind of annoyed me as well. Sasuke should have just stayed as Naruto's rival rather then become a bad guy, but he was the stand out in the main trio. I didn't care for most of the other ninjas. Rock Lee was the standout character and I would read a series about him as he works hard to become a top ninja. Orichimaru was a good villian and I liked that his plan at least kind of worked.

I really liked some of the fights, especially during the chuunin exam. Gaara vs Rock Lee was fantastic and my favourite in the series. The art was nice but from what I've seen of part 2 it seems to get worse. I'm probably not going to read part 2 but I might check out some of the fights from part 1 in the anime.

Art: 7/10
Story: 6/10
Characters: 5/10

Overall: 6/10
How does one prefer the gaara v rock lee over gaara v naruto? Lee lost major cool points for losing so tragically.

Gaara v Naruto was quite well done and favorite in the anime. Additionally do check out the filler episodes of kurenais team v the bikochu beetle, the infiltration of the hideout (useless deadweight saukura line) and the various naruto/kiba team antics.

Antiwhippy

7 Seeds, 107

I think this was the cutest chapter ever. So adorable.

I think this arc is the first arc of the series that puts the nature of the world in a positive light, and it does it incredibly well.

Nearing the end. Can't wait for your reaction to the final chapter.

dumbyugi

How does one prefer the gaara v rock lee over gaara v naruto? Lee lost major cool points for losing so tragically.

Gaara v Naruto was quite well done and favorite in the anime. Additionally do check out the filler episodes of kurenais team v the bikochu beetle, the infiltration of the hideout (useless deadweight saukura line) and the various naruto/kiba team antics.

I'm of the opinion that it's ok if a good character loses a battle, especially if it's one as cool as Lee vs Gaara. Rock Lee was never going to beat Gaara simply because Naruto is the main character so he has to beat the arcs villian. That's just how most battle shounen are. I liked Naruto vs Gaara as well I just don't think it was as fun to read as Rock Lee vs Gaara.

Bleach
The Pain arc DID destroy Naruto's sense of danger, but we didn't know that at the time of Kakashi's death. Replace him with a Strawhat member and there wouldn't be a sense of danger in the first place.
Byakuya, in my opnion, is one the main characters. He's more developed than Ichigo's friends, and has taken place in much more fights. Kubo probably did intend for him to die, due to his appearance on the volume cover, with Kubo now stating he should have put Chojiro on it, but due to the less than stellar sales and table of contents rankings, his editors advised him otherwise.
Jojo's set-up is awesome, as you never know if a character will die. That's why I have a problem with OP's set-up, and set-ups which are based on main character's dreams and goals in general.
7 Seeds spoilers :
That's why I don't believe Hana is dead in 7 Seeds, as the author has hyped her and Arashi's eventual meeting since the beginning.
No. Byakuya has already developed and has no more place in the story. Him being alive pissed me off. Fucking editors. Bleach is still one SJ´s top selling manga. So Kubo should have killed him for shock value and because there´s no more development Byakuya can have. He has no part of the story anymore. His death would have severely impacted the story and developed Rukia and Renji´s character great deal.

I think this arc is the first arc of the series that puts the nature of the world in a positive light, and it does it incredibly well.

Nearing the end. Can't wait for your reaction to the final chapter.

7 Seeds, 108-109

Nearing the end and not sure what to expect. The positive atmosphere and depiction of the world still feels a bit weird and out of place. But maybe I don't want the story to end yet.

Hana walking around, exploring and taking care, without mentioning the others is a bit weird. It seems she has some amnesia or maybe she just doesn't care, after what she's been through. But then she would've at least cried about Arashi. So yeah, amnesia is my tip. It's also not fair to go in this direction, right after Ango told Arashi. I mean, I think I know how Arashi would react, but still, I want to see it. Also, Hana dying at the end would be interesting. "The world is so beautiful." *gets eaten at night by the animals she traveled with*

Antiwhippy

Oh no, the story isn't anywhere near over (well, probably getting nearer with every chapter by definition, but I don't really feel like the ending arc is near yet). Nows the painful wait with uncertain translation times.

I don't think there was any amnesia, at least not a major one. I think it's just that now she's on her own she has to survive and put aside brooding over being separated and left for dead, and this is the first time she's tried to really look at the world and appreciate the beauty of it. Also helps that she seems to be in a particularly non life threatening area.

I think it's a really fresh take after how unforgiving the natural world was depicted after the last hundred pages.

Man i really need to stop posting when i half asleep and early in the morning .
I read Byakuya and was thinking about Naruto when KeasbyKnight was talking about Bleach.
After getting some sleep and getting up i find my last 2 or 3 post hilarious .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom