• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay list one enemy in One Piece that is probably more powerful than Enel that isn't named Blackbeard.

They haven't shown Enel vs. any admiral level Haki users yet. He is strong, but he was fighting against a Haki-less Straw hat group at that time. Shit, I think Zoro will even get the ability to slice elements in the next arc.

Hunter x Hunter Early Chimera Arc

Wow I really didn't expect Kite to die like that (or for him to die at all), also when the fuck are Leorio and Kurapika going to return to the plot? -.- Especially when you tease them all with a double page spread just to have another chapter of Gon and Killua training with Biscuit.

Venting aside, holy shit this arc man so good even if the art is all over the place

Edit:

TBWhjl4.png

FUCKING DAMN IT stop trolling me!

Piecake

Hunter x Hunter Early Chimera Arc

Wow I really didn't expect Kite to die like that (or for him to die at all), also when the fuck are Leorio and Kurapika going to return to the plot? -.- Especially when you tease them all with a double page spread just to have another chapter of Gon and Killua training with Biscuit.

Venting aside, holy shit this arc man so good even if the art is all over the place

I should really read that again since I didnt enjoy it as much as the others. Of course, I read it when the chapters were being released so perhaps it was a problem with Hiatus x Hiatus and not HxH

They haven't shown Enel vs. any admiral level Haki users yet. He is strong, but he was fighting against a Haki-less Straw hat group at that time. Shit, I think Zoro will even get the ability to slice elements in the next arc.

I think it's safe to assume that Zoro already has that capability. The only reason he didn't cut Monet was because she was a woman. Even Tashigi was able to cut Monet.

I think it's safe to assume that Zoro already has that capability. The only reason he didn't cut Monet was because she was a woman. Even Tashigi was able to cut Monet.

I meant him cutting a lightning strike, not at Enel himself. Not sure if he has that ability yet, seeing he was surprised when Kinemon did it.

(before anyone says that should be logically impossible keep in mind that this is One Piece, and Kinemon had just cut away an explosion.)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I should really read that again since I didnt enjoy it as much as the others. Of course, I read it when the chapters were being released so perhaps it was a problem with Hiatus x Hiatus and not HxH

Yea, the Chimera Ant arc reads really well as a whole. I sort of lump the election into the arc though since it's short and ties in really well.

wonzo

Banned
Binbougami ga! 48

What a reward.

Medaka Box 179

That panel of Kumagawa crying about Medaka's "death" reminded of that really funny Dr Doom 9/11 one.

Kiruko 8

This started off pretty decently but went to shit as usual. I really can't see this lasting more than 20 chapters.

Silver Spoon 66

This was pretty dull compared to the last few great chapters. It certainly doesn't help that this is on break for a few weeks either.

TWGOK 217

Hmm, I wonder if this stuff with Vintage will end up having anything to do with Mio's dad's death.

Molester Man 20

You did well Molester. Glad he managed to patch things up with Loli, though him not seeing either her or Kansai again is bull.

There better be a happy ending for him after all this.

tumblr_m3lcxmWRHF1rrltq5o1_500.png

Date a Live 1-5

Partly because of the anime coming up and a new chapter coming out, I decided to give this a try.

I like the premise of the story with some TWGOK vibes coming from it, with the guy acting out a dating sim to make the girls fall in love with him. Course the guy isn't anywhere near Keima's level of awesome but that just can't be helped. As for the girls, I am liking Tohka and the imouto so far. The art itself can be hit or miss in quality, especially in chapter 5.

Some of the novel chapters seem to be translated so I'll give those a try later.

GG-Duo

Yea, the Chimera Ant arc reads really well as a whole. I sort of lump the election into the arc though since it's short and ties in really well.

Agreed. The arc had a unique and pervasive sense of dread that's unrivalled. I don't think I've read anything that gave me the same sense of "oh shit!" as this arc, over and over again... but then you get surprised by the unique way Togashi built things towards the ending.

scy

Baby Steps 156 - Poor #11 seed, already overshadowed by the potential next opponent.

"Beat Nabae" will end up meaning nothing.

Edit: Also, Natsu so good.

one piece

I just watched one piece movie about hand island and I think I finally figured out why Zorro does keep his left eye closed. The Kakashi method. Zorro cannot control his haki optimally yet, so in order to not get tired from using haki all the time he closes one eye and does everything at least until he learns how to fully control it.
Shuumatsu no Laughter is only 5 chapters?
Yes.

the funny thing about Enel was the supposed Eminem inspiration LOL

He was the first person to truly show how fucking broken a logia user could be imo and while i feel his mantra wasn't as great due to his laziniess, that was use to the good guys advantage to defeat him (along with the fact Luffy is immune to his elemental attacks)

789shadow

Banned
If I had to rank One Piece sagas:

Davy Back Fight-Water 7-Enies Lobby
Laboon-Whiskey Peak-Little Garden-Drum Island-Alabasta
Thriller Bark-Sabaody-Amazon Lily-Impel Down-Marineford
Jaya-Skypeia
Captain Morgan-Buggy the Clown-Captain Kuro-Baratie-Arlong

Won't rank anything post time-skip yet as I don't know where they fit in in terms of sagas.

The problem with Skypeia was the same as the problem with Fishman Island and Punk Hazard: we saw Luffy had the upper hand over the big bad, but the fight just kept dragging on and on. It wasn't like Luffy had to come up with new techniques, he just had to keep chasing the villain until eventually he was out for the count.

Best arcs for me are Water 7 and Sabaody, with Alabastra being the worst.

wonzo

Banned
AKB49 107

Ugh, I'm sick and tired of this stupid Yoshinaga shit. I hope she gets hit by a train or something so I don't have to put up with her anymore.

Piecake

The problem with Skypeia was the same as the problem with Fishman Island and Punk Hazard: we saw Luffy had the upper hand over the big bad, but the fight just kept dragging on and on. It wasn't like Luffy had to come up with new techniques, he just had to keep chasing the villain until eventually he was out for the count.

Best arcs for me are Enies Lobby and Sabaody, with Alabastra being the worst.

Thats why I like that Jaya moment. A One hit knock out was awesome and refreshing

My favorite arc is either Thriller Bark or Water 7

Big One

Banned
It's called Observation Haki, tons of people have it.
Van Auger could do this too. Van Auger for Yonkou.
It's called Observation Haki.
Okay for one, NEVER EVER split my posts like that, unless you want to have some form of legitimate discussion for each topic. Splinting it up into three posts to say the same base thing is not only stupid, but looks like shit when people are reading this.

And no, tons of people do NOT have the level of Observation Haki that Enel did. Rayleigh couldn't even do what Enel did with it, which is understandable cause his people's culture essentially made Observation Haki as a part of their lives. Rayleigh is a haki master, but I doubt he's on the same level Enel was with his mantra tricks.

Secondly you're missing the entire point of what makes Enel the most powerful. I'm saying on a technical level, he should win against the majority of his opponents. If Enel was to jump into a recent arc he'd have just as much chance against the bad guys as anyone else. Remember when Crocodile entered the war and he was going toe-to-toe with guys that are commonly thought to be more powerful than him, and having an actual good chance? However one could argue that Doflamingo is more technically skilled than Crocodile, the fact that Oda sshowsthat a character like him as a chance pretty much throws away any concept of true power levels with a few exceptions (like Blackbeard, who's being set up as being the final boss of One Piece).

You missed the entire point of the arc and what made it special, which is a shame. The point of Skypeia was the cultural isolationism relative to the Blue Sea. This is reflected in how dirt is valuable while gold is worthless, in their technologies, and in the main antagonist. Enel had a literal God Complex because he knew nothing of the world outside Skypeia and truly believed that he was the strongest person in the world; after all, nothing he had seen in Skypeia had ever indicated differently.
Where in the world did I ever imply that I missed the point of the Skypeia arc?

Fortunately for us Oda has explicitly addressed this issue in SBS 43.
So what exactly is Oda saying that I haven't already said?

He is not more powerful than the fucking Yonkou, get a grip.
We don't even know what the other two Yonkou (Big Mom and Kaido) can do. For all we know their power comes from their crew rather than themselves.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Agreed. The arc had a unique and pervasive sense of dread that's unrivalled. I don't think I've read anything that gave me the same sense of "oh shit!" as this arc, over and over again... but then you get surprised by the unique way Togashi built things towards the ending.

Yea. Not only is it the only way the arc could have ended, but in the process it tries to make it something more than just a badass arc. I think try is a bad word, it does make it something more. It's just plain good and not just for manga but in general.

Best arcs for me are Enies Lobby and Sabaody, with Alabastra being the worst.

This is exactly it, I couldn't put my finger on it but this is it.

Well, damn.

Yup. The mangaka has a new series but not until like the fall.

FYC

Banned
D. Gray Man Vol. 1 (Ch. 1-7)

This is pretty cool so far. Allen is a fun character and The Millenium Earl is just awesome. I absolutely love his design and silly personality, looking forward to more of him. Time to start the first mission.

Hunter x Hunter Chimera Ant- END

Chimera Ant: Very good.

End of Chimera Ant
:
Extremely depressing. The king going blind...dear god, these feels.

Overall Hunter thoughts: The overarching storyline of the manga isn't really that cohesive or well-structured. It's in the individual arcs that it really shines, and Togashi is extremely skilled at creating entertaining scenarios and bringing them to a satisfying conclusion.

Hunter in Africa?: Set-up seems intriguing, but I won't be holding my breath waiting for the pay-off.

Okay for one, NEVER EVER split my posts like that, unless you want to have some form of legitimate discussion for each topic. Splinting it up into three posts to say the same base thing is not only stupid, but looks like shit when people are reading this.
UIqwj04.png

And no, tons of people do NOT have the level of Observation Haki that Enel did.
You listed Observation Haki twice, which was funny. Being able to hear someone talk shit about you from a distance is not a combat ability. In actual fights the Hancock sisters read just as much as Enel did.

Secondly you're missing the entire point of what makes Enel the most powerful.
Nothing makes Enel the most powerful, Oda said so. Take it up with Oda.
I'm saying on a technical level, he should win against the majority of his opponents.
Not according to Oda.

If Enel was to jump into a recent arc he'd have just as much chance against the bad guys as anyone else.
He'd do about as well against Akainu as Luffy did, I agree.

Remember when Crocodile entered the war and he was going toe-to-toe with guys that are commonly thought to be more powerful than him, and having an actual good chance?
I don't remember him taking a hit from anyone on my list.
Where in the world did I ever imply that I missed the point of the Skypeia arc?
You missed the fact that Enel as a character is meant to illustrate that Skypeia is so isolated that one Logia who would be just another high bounty on the Blue Sea could delude himself into believing that he was actually God.
So what exactly is Oda saying that I haven't already said?
Pretty much everything written there.

Cwarrior

the funny thing about Enel was the supposed Eminem inspiration LOL

He was the first person to truly show how fucking broken a logia user could be imo and while i feel his mantra wasn't as great due to his laziniess, that was use to the good guys advantage to defeat him (along with the fact Luffy is immune to his elemental attacks)

?

With his mantra/haki enel was able to sense& hear everyone on the island and able to give out god's judgement an orbital lighting strike against anyone that spoke out against him.

He only used one type of haki/mantra the senseing type but still the ability allowed him to carry out attacks from a great distances.

He just wasn't able to sense the strawhats inside the snakes stomache.

Still i don't think enel is admiral strong at all or yonkou.

?

With his mantra/haki enel was able to sense& hear everyone on the island and able to give out god's judgement an orbital lighting strike against anyone that spoke out against him.

He only used one type of haki/mantra the senseing type but still the ability allowed him to carry out attacks from a great distances.

He just wasn't able to sense the strawhats inside the snakes stomache.

Which was his downfall from his hubris/laziness and he kept uttering the same shit over and over.

Cwarrior

Which was his downfall from his hubris/laziness and he kept uttering the same shit over and over.

What no, his downfall was his luck,he ran into a rubber man out of all people in the world, having never heard of the rubber before he adapt rather quckly knowing his attacks don't work on luffy he decided to handycap luffy from getting in his way(avoiding the rubberman problem, tilly luffy caught up with him).

Bad luck was his downfall.

What no, his downfall was his luck,he ran into a rubber man out of all people in the world, having never heard of the rubber before he adapt rather quckly knowing his attacks don't work on luffy he decided to handycap luffy from getting in his way(avoiding the rubberman problem, tilly luffy caught up with him).

Bad luck was his downfall.

a rubber man he apparently dealt with but didn't realize due to hubris that he was still alive until it was too late. Dude could have done better.

At least we got that hit that fucked him up and rang the bell.

Teppu 14

I'm supposed to believe that the more experienced grappler was surprised by a wrestling bait that I learned on the first day I signed up? Pulling on the head then the takedown is something every one of them should know.

edit: Gator Roll! My specialty!

Cwarrior

Now you guys are arguing power levels? Jesus, I told you guys that One Piece fans have their priorities screwed up.

Maybe part of the problem but I agree,an arc with such great writing as skypiea deserves a better disscusion then some dumb power level one.

Priorities are out of wack,people want big one on one fights for all the strawhats,new crew memeber, new bounties for every arc or they aren't happy.

Teppu

Oh boy, more secret manga teenager strength beating established professional MMA fighters.

Why do you hurt yourself when you can stop?

You should read All-Rounder Meguru instead of Teppu. It's by Hiroki Endo and although it isn't as good as his previous work (Eden: It's An Endless World), it's pretty decent if you like MMA.

Dynedom

I know its been discussed countless times regarding One Piece but:

Should I just dive into the anime to catch up and then go manga or just stick to the manga?

I was watching the anime and stopped at the start of what I believe is a filler arc (the Apis arc)

dumbyugi

Naruto Part 1

This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I didn't really enjoy it that much. The story is pretty average, nothing aful but nothing great either. The story can be absolute dog shit though if I like the characters, too bad most of them are shit. Sakura is a terrible heroine who doesn't do a whole lot and is kind of annoying as well. Naruto didn't really improve as a character and he kind of annoyed me as well. Sasuke should have just stayed as Naruto's rival rather then become a bad guy, but he was the stand out in the main trio. I didn't care for most of the other ninjas. Rock Lee was the standout character and I would read a series about him as he works hard to become a top ninja. Orichimaru was a good villian and I liked that his plan at least kind of worked.

I really liked some of the fights, especially during the chuunin exam. Gaara vs Rock Lee was fantastic and my favourite in the series. The art was nice but from what I've seen of part 2 it seems to get worse. I'm probably not going to read part 2 but I might check out some of the fights from part 1 in the anime.

Art: 7/10
Story: 6/10
Characters: 5/10

Overall: 6/10

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Let me just tell you, you would absolutely hate Part 2. But if you want to join this craaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzyyyyy ride, NOW IS THE TIME.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Why do you hurt yourself when you can stop?

You should read All-Rounder Meguru instead of Teppu. It's by Hiroki Endo and although it isn't as good as his previous work (Eden: It's An Endless World), it's pretty decent if you like MMA.

Hey now, the only thing wrong about teppu is that there isn't more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom