• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super Lovers! 8
tumblr_mham36ZlTM1qbxqfpo1_250.png

France is so lucky, if it is true that they are getting this manga there. Easily my favorite of the whole genre at even just eight chapters. All four of the brothers are so good and nice now that all relatievely get along so well. Haru and Ren moments now are so good as they have been and wonder if they will go even further, and Haru finally admitted his love, thankfully, now for Ren to do the same though he still seems odd at expressing most emotions of his own through words. His school parts were interesting but I love seeing Kurosaki. Also glad Shima and Aki came to an agreement about the middle school tutor girl incident, hope shes moved on and got back on track.

AKB49 107-108

Yoshinaga still sucks.

Team Medical Dragon 100

Nice job by Kirishima getting the mediocre doctors in his side. But sometimes being mediocre wont go well.

Pumpkin Scissors 22

Spy business is serious shit.

Liar Game 167

Akiyama being awesome chapter

VInland Saga 1-90

Awesome series. Would hate to wait a month for new chapters during Farmland Saga.

Yeah Toriko is good but i feel it missing something .
I guess if have to put in into words it would be cool factor\ emotional impact \ hype factor .
Which is why i think it did not catch on like Jump wanted to .

It´s missing plenty actually. Good plot/premise (i mean really, collect food), i mean regardless of how important the author make it i will never take the issue seriously.

Lack of character development, there´s barely any development of main characters.

Lack of Terry, i mean really, Terry is an amazing character/wolf, and she has been absent for a really long time. She only shows up once in a while. What i really want is for her to accompany Toriko on all of his journeys.

Lack of development/characterizations for the villains. No interesting villains = no interesting manga.

I enjoy Toriko but i know what to expect, and what kind of manga i´m reading.

Now where the hell is my new Magi chapter?
VInland Saga 1-90

Awesome series. Would hate to wait a month for new chapters during Farmland Saga.

One of us, one of us.

It´s missing plenty actually. Good plot/premise (i mean really, collect food), i mean regardless of how important the author make it i will never take the issue seriously.

Lack of character development, there´s barely any development of main characters.

Lack of Terry, i mean really, Terry is an amazing character/wolf, and she has been absent for a really long time. She only shows up once in a while. What i really want is for her to accompany Toriko on all of his journeys.

Lack of development/characterizations for the villains. No interesting villains = no interesting manga.

I enjoy Toriko but i know what to expect, and what kind of manga i´m reading.

Now where the hell is my new Magi chapter?

One of us, one of us.

Terry is female?!

Akito

Nononono v13 (end)
I certainly didn't expect too much, Kishitani miraculously made the jump thanks to bullshit winds, had a fake death and was able to fully recover after like 2 months. Okushin High won so Nono got elected into the Olympic team and FUCKING NO ONE ELSE HAS DISCOVERED HER TRUTH YET. I don't know if the manga got axed or Okamoto was only trolling the fans because the boob shot at the end would explain the latter. Why would you even bring up the "You'll eventually be found out if you become a pro"-issue if you have no desire to touch it after all? At least she didn't actually win Olympic gold off-screen I guess.

To sum it up, is was just a as pleasant read as it sounds, almost all characters are either dumb as shit or just jackasses. If you have a thing for over the top characters, there are maybe 1 or 2 who are fairly entertaining. Nono however is one of the most poorly written main characters in a manga I've ever seen, her abilities do not improve one bit during the whole manga, she was god from the beginning and if she somehow didn't win, it was always because of some bullshit, e.g. bad luck, unfair judges etc. The constant changes between her serious and pubescent girl modes were jarring as hell. But the worst part of Nononono is definitely the smutty love comedy Okamoto seems to be so fond of, all characters seemed to have shut down their brain for that part. Or it was the overlong (attempted) rape scene. Goddamn I still believe he actually wrote that for this type of story. So if you're into bad manga, by all means give this a try.

Speaking of which, how's Okamoto's newest work, Brynhildr something?

upandaway

It's a lot better and I'm enjoying it. But then I liked Nononono, so maybe my opinion is invalid.

In any case it's a lot more like something you'd expect from Okamoto, compared to a silly sports manga

Akito

It's a lot better and I'm enjoying it. But then I liked Nononono, so maybe my opinion is invalid.

In any case it's a lot more like something you'd expect from Okamoto, compared to a silly sports manga
The synopsis seems alright but I think I'll wait until it's finished, I still have Elfen Lied sitting in the backlog if I suddenly get the urges to read an Okamoto manga anyway.

Wagatsuma-san wa Ore no Yome 01

noz3C6fl.png

A high school kid has a dream that in the future his wife is the most popular girl in the school.

It's funny, the main character is not bad. I do hope it sticks with the whole trying to woo her instead of becoming a harem or something silly like that. There's an end goal and I would like to see how he gets there.

Medaka Box 128-179 (caught up)

Marathoners gonna marathon.

- The conclusion to the Successor arc was fairly satisfying. I got a reasonable amount of enjoyment from seeing Medaka crumble, Ajimu became a party member (crazy manga characters thinking that their world is just a manga) and we said farewell to 4 of the 5 sleep-inducing trainees, so net profit across the board. Medaka III is more likeable but a bit less unique as a character. Again, net profit.

- Jet Black Bride had a couple of decent fights, though the wordplay shenanigans can die in a gasoline fuelled fire. The new student council is marginally better than the old one, with Naze and Emukae collectively compensating for Kumagawa's absence.

- This latest arc is silly(ier). Is this all really just to get Shiranui to come back to school? I've nothing against her, but trading Ajimu for her is an awful deal no matter which way you slice it. I'm still in disbelief that a strong contender for the most broken character (in theory at least) I've come across in manga met the end of her 3 billion year life at the hands of a rubber band.

- Given that Medaka's now a borderline walking corpse, I'm assuming that defeating Fresh will reverse his irreversible damage. Possibly including Ajimu's revival, though much as I like her I think her death may be a good thing for the series overall.

- Kumagawa and Naze are still the best two characters. HMs to Ajimu and Emukae. How the fresh did Akune get 2nd in the popularity poll when he's been out of the picture for ages? Anime boost? (not that I've been following it)

Wish I'd picked this up a few chapters later to avoid the cliffhanger.

Definitely feels closer to Elfen Lied than Nononono does, but it's more optimistic as the "good guys" aren't completely helpless against the main threat. Still has its fair share of despair though. Objectively, it's probably one of the best things Okamoto has done.

Kreed

When people first start calling them the Big 3 they were some of the highest selling Manga in Jump that came out around the same time but they were also popular WW don't forget the phase has been around since 2004 or 5 i think .
Which why even thought Bleach sells less than Naruto or OP in Japan (sales number were much higher years ago ) it out sold OP in NA which made it part of the Big 3 WW .
When it comes to Japan HxH should be part of the Big 3 but it's not as popular WW so it misses out ( which also thanks to Togashi breaks )

Also in Japan Naruto is the second highest sell manga by single Vol sales so of course it's should still be part of the Big 3 .
They got few other manga that used out sell it but there were not Jump titles .
As for Bleach while sales down it still popular WW more than any other title in Jump other than OP and Naruto .

This is one of the problems with the "Big 3" phrase. The "Big 3" title is strictly US term based on what was/is popular to US manga fans at the time the term was created. It has nothing to do with Japan or actual world wide sales and no one who used the phrase was actually looking at world wide sales/following sales statistics, but in order to keep this phrase "alive", fans of the phrase change the rules to keep it going. For example, if we were using Japan as a source, then Hunter X Hunter would have always been included, as it came out before Naruto and Bleach, among other top selling series in that region since 2004-5. At the same time, if we were looking at US sales, One Piece would have never been included. World wide, you'd have series like Inu Yasha or Full Metal Alchemist fighting for that spot over the years.

But the point is it's a "dated" phrase that should really stop being used. At least not in the context Infinite Justice used it in (in case you don't want to follow the trail of quotes, the reason I even made my comment was because he referenced Hunter X Hunter outselling 2 of the big 3 as if it was a major accomplishment, but in Bleach's case isn't a big deal and hasn't been for years).

Yeah I saw that list earlier, but prefer the list I posted in the post you quoted that was a collective list of total volume sales for 2012 from the same source.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-12-02/30-top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2012

For example, if you had looked at that list, you wouldn't have made that comment about Toriko, which outsold Bleach in 2012.

Yep Jump really tried with Toriko but that fail big time .
Manga Vol sales not as good as Bleach or even close .
Still bleach numbers have gone up and depending on how the manga goes i can see it getting back fans .

When people say "Big 3" I think they just mean OP, Naruto and Bleach exclusively. Not best selling anyone or most popular anydude anyguy.

Putting any technicality to this is just trying to figure out how and/or why we got to this situation. When one of the series ends, AND another series explodes in the western market, that's when people will move on.

Right, this is how it actually works, and I'm fine with using that phrase when just referring to those three in that context, but if you're going to talk about sales, the Big 3 has no basis in the current reality of manga sales.

scy

noz3C6fl.png

A high school kid has a dream that in the future his wife is the most popular girl in the school.

It's funny, the main character is not bad. I do hope it sticks with the whole trying to woo her instead of becoming a harem or something silly like that. There's an end goal and I would like to see how he gets there.

It's not a dream, it's time travel! Time travel!

This is one of the problems with the "Big 3" phrase. The "Big 3" title is strictly US term based on what was/is popular to US manga fans at the time the term was created. It has nothing to do with Japan or actual world wide sales and no one who used the phrase was actually looking at world wide sales/following sales statistics, but in order to keep this phrase "alive", fans of the phrase change the rules to keep it going. For example, if we were using Japan as a source, then Hunter X Hunter would have always been included, as it came out before Naruto and Bleach, among other top selling series in that region since 2004-5. At the same time, if we were looking at US sales, One Piece would have never been included. World wide, you'd have series like Inu Yasha or Full Metal Alchemist fighting for that spot over the years.

But the point is it's a "dated" phrase that should really stop being used. At least not in the context Infinite Justice used it in (in case you don't want to follow the trail of quotes, the reason I even made my comment was because he referenced Hunter X Hunter outselling 2 of the big 3 as if it was a major accomplishment, but in Bleach's case isn't a big deal and hasn't been for years).

Yeah I saw that list earlier, but prefer the list I posted in the post you quoted that was a collective list of total volume sales for 2012 from the same source.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-12-02/30-top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2012

For example, if you had looked at that list, you wouldn't have made that comment about Toriko, which outsold Bleach in 2012.

Right, this is how it actually works, and I'm fine with using that phrase when just referring to those three in that context, but if you're going to talk about sales, the Big 3 has no basis in the current reality of manga sales.

Bleach released 4 volumes in 2012, while Toriko released 5 volumes in 2012 and barely outsold Bleach. Toriko outsold Bleach by around 30k even though it had more volumes out.

Edit: Wow, one piece dipped 14.5 million in 2012. From 38 million in 2011 to 23.5 in 2012. A lot of manga dipped in 2012. Naruto remained largely the same.

2San

The main character is an idiot, but he's really likable. It really does have potential.

Otokogokoro 1
tumblr_mhazf44LDU1qbxqfpo1_500.png

One of my favorite types of plots point, taking care of someone who happened to fall sick briefly. Though this time with a seemingly complete stranger though later that one works at a cafe they frequently dine at. Anyway I thought its a good start and wonder where it goes, Jun is a really good character design, surprised he has no other friends and stuff with his college etc. Hopefully Saki keeps him company and continues to visit and what not to boost his spirits in numerous ways.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Bleach released 4 volumes in 2012, while Toriko released 5 volumes in 2012 and barely outsold Bleach. Toriko outsold Bleach by around 30k even though it had more volumes out.

Edit: Wow, one piece dipped 14.5 million in 2012. From 38 million in 2011 to 23.5 in 2012. A lot of manga dipped in 2012. Naruto remained largely the same.

The sales of new One Piece volumes has remind largely the same though. 2011's absurdly huge number is due to all of the new fans buying up the old volumes. Otherwise, One Piece has stayed about as consistent as Naruto's sales have.

and yeah, even though Bleach's sales have gone down over the past year or two, they've still quite good relatively. The series' real problem is that it doesn't seem to be bringing in new fans, hence the drop in Jump rankings. You'd think having a loyal fanbase buying millions of your volumes would be enough for Jump but they're primarily focused on finding making the "next big thing" for kids.

The sales of new One Piece volumes has remind largely the same though. 2011's absurdly huge number is due to all of the new fans buying up the old volumes. Otherwise, One Piece has stayed about as consistent as Naruto's sales have.

and yeah, even though Bleach's sales have gone down over the past year or two, they've still quite good relatively. The series' real problem is that it doesn't seem to be bringing in new fans, hence the drop in Jump rankings. You'd think having a loyal fanbase buying millions of your volumes would be enough for Jump but they're primarily focused on finding making the "next big thing" for kids.

Yep don't expect to see OP sales that high ever again until maybe near the ending or something like that .
It should stick around to 16 to 22 million a year depending on how vols comes out .

and yeah, even though Bleach's sales have gone down over the past year or two, they've still quite good relatively. The series' real problem is that it doesn't seem to be bringing in new fans, hence the drop in Jump rankings. You'd think having a loyal fanbase buying millions of your volumes would be enough for Jump but they're primarily focused on finding making the "next big thing". for kids.

Ah that Toriko hype

Akito

Jump should not have turned down Shingeki no Kyojin. But on the other hand, who knows how the manga would have become if it was a Jump series.

Kurita

Jump should not have turned down Shingeki no Kyojin. But on the other hand, who knows how the manga would have become if it was a Jump series.

They turned it down? Did not know that.
It's already a pretty solid hit, and the anime will help it, no doubt about it.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
fuckin BLEACH is more well known world wide than Hunter X Hunter. Pure sales, Togashi got these fuckers, sure. But as a household name, Bleach got em.

ONE PIECE is the only shit where its SO popular in Japan that its notoriety (or lack thereof) anywhere else doesn't matter one bit.

Akito

They turned it down? Did not know that.
It's already a pretty solid hit, and the anime will help it, no doubt about it.
Yeah, it was deemed unfit or something like that. I can see where they were coming from but I'm sure they have soon regretted their decision.

Magi
I expected the whole chapter to be asskicking with the Finalis Corps but I'll gladly take Aladdin's intervention, hopefully Alibaba is not far away.

Kurita

Yeah, it was deemed unfit or something like that. I can see where they were coming from but I'm sure they have soon regretted their decision.

I know I'd find it weird to see SnK in the same magazine as One Piece. It'd feel so out of place.

fuckin BLEACH is more well known world wide than Hunter X Hunter. Pure sales, Togashi got these fuckers, sure. But as a household name, Bleach got em.

ONE PIECE is the only shit where its SO popular in Japan that its notoriety (or lack thereof) anywhere else doesn't matter one bit.

When i made that most many moons ago it was more of the sales side of the Big 3 than the popularity.

I still say that POS version of the OP anime ruined whatever chance of it being as popular in the west even after it was "fixed" way later. The Naruto and Bleach animes were a different story (watched them even though i was reading the manga at the same time)

Still don't understand why Naruto seems more known worldwide than One Piece.

I hate to bring up the ninja vs pirates but i think that helped along with the OP anime being bad at first and naruto having more of those badass/rule of cool moments for the target audience (I think Bleach is the king of those though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom