• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Fix

Also, Bon Clay isn't introduced early on where Zabuza is the first major villain they fight. A better comparison would be to Captain Morgan.

Also, what's wrong with how Luffy looks?

Sausage fingers. I actually like how varied the body types are and all that jazz, but everything seemed really rounded early on, whatever that means.

Piecake

By Satsuma, do you mean Shimazu? If that's the case, I thought he was plenty cool myself, what with his weird honor code and pride, making him act in that crazy unpredictable way which also lends to the cool factor about him. You never know how it'll end when he sets out.

Yup, I just find his character and abilities ridiculous. He has a huge invulnerability stamp stuck on him that says "cant be killed no matter how many enemies he charges into stupidly"

scy

Eyeshield 21 276-End

....Yeah, this series probably should have ended after the Ojo game. Before that Ojo game, I thought there was a chance they would loose to them again. After the win, I never felt any emotion in the games- I knew they were winning regardless of the odds. Once Sena beat Shin, there was just something missing. We did get some nice fanservice with all of the stars coming together to help train Deimon before the christmas bowl (It was kinda crazy when Ishimaru of all people broke out the Rodeo Drive in the game), and then the all star team playing in the world cup. Even though it was not that many chapters, and a ton of characters, they managed to build new character elements for some of them- Agon became one of the most interesting characters in the series IMO in this final arc. Unfortunately, with the world cup, we got back to the strange obsession the author has with black people. In a series where they payed such respect to the game of football, the ignorance they throw at race in general really comes across as ignorant at best. I did like the ending though- not showing the overtime (based on the final page, i'm guessing USA won and Panther got MVP?), and that all the players are now on different teams- Its nice to see Kurita and Hiruma on different teams going against each other, Sena and Mamori opposing, ect.

In the end, I really enjoyed the series. The art is top notch throughout, the comedy mostly works, there is a great reverence for the game, and the characters/relationships are well done. In many cases, like with Riku (who I dismissed from the beginning as existing purely for Fujoshi-bait), there is long term character development that changes your views on them by the end of the series. They do a great job of taking Shonen tropes like power ups and working them into the context of Football- when I started off, I was pretty unhappy with the football but by the end of the series, when they are breaking out Wishbone formations, Flea Flickers, Zone Blitzes and Triple Options, its a ton of fun.

In the end, Eyeshield 21 was just a really fun ride. There's a lot of dumb moments, sure, but it just ends up being so much fun throughout that it more than makes up for it.

With this done, I guess i'm going to be starting One Piece. Is it a slow starter? I want to know how long I should give it if I don't like it.

Tastes vary on this. I liked it fairly early on but it takes until Arlong's arc for things to really pick up ... which is kind of awhile in.

Malvingt2

Magi

tumblr_mhb8j50USB1rfyejmo1_500.png

This manga is too awesome.

Korosenai

Hunter X Hunter The Chimera Ant Arc

Wow

Just

Wow

This is the second time a manga/anime has legit made me cry
not counting pokemon movie 1 as a kid
, all of these feelings just rushing though me. Meruem was so complex of a character and his bond with Komugi truly was incredibly well done. Half way though the finale I started questioning who I was rooting for, our protagonist the Hunters of Meruem who truly had changed thanks to Komugi's influence. That's not even considering the other incredible moments like when Gon's slow decent into madness at the end and the moment where he snapped when he was forced to accept Kaito was truly dead.

I dunno how you guys read this live and didn't go crazy, the emotions and drama just continued to build and build to it's explosive climax at the end and each hiatus seemed like it was at an apex. I really hope the current anime gets to animate this arc because it'll truly be incredible.
Hunter x Hunter Chimera Ant Arc

What did you think of Netero vs. Meruem? It was honestly one of my favorite manga fights and put Netero in my top 5 favorite characters. He's just a beast, but Meruem was on a completely different level.

What did you think of Netero vs. Meruem? It was honestly one of my favorite manga fights and put Netero in my top 5 favorite characters. He's just a beast, but Meruem was on a completely different level.

Hunter x Hunter

and the worse thing he didn't give a fuck about the fight.

GG-Duo

Wasn't the art during that fight fucking insane? The way Netero looked was creepy and vile. It's hard to imagine the jolly old man from the beginning turned into this shriveled corpse of a man whose face has such malice.

Kusagari

Netero's face when he says "Wrong move, little ant." is one of my favorite in all of manga.

Shit gives me chills.

Edit: Found a pic of it.

HunterLeader.jpg

I loved Meruem's ending in Hunter X Hunter. Many here didn't like it from what I remembered but it was fantastic.

I reckon it's even better when you're reading the manga by the volume.

duckroll

Magi - Chapter 171

This felt so boring after reading another 100 chapters of One Piece over the weekend. It's not Magi's fault, but reading this right now was a bad idea. :(

I'll post impressions on the One Piece war saga later.

The ending was definitely the best part of the manga.

Why didn't people like it?

Huh? People didn't like Meruem's ending?

It was definitely a fitting end for him and I loved it.

I guess its "it's over now........................... BUT WAIT, ONE MORE CHAPTER!" thing.

Holy crap so you can multi-quote? :0

Anyway some here thought it was a waste of space. How it took Togashi too many pages to show Meruem's death.

Honestly it made me really dislike Netero, Meruem was willing to discuss with him and Netero had just decided it had to be fight or die. The fact that it was obvious Netero really was no match for Meruem made this fact even more frustrating. Togashi really did a great job of making the protagonist look like they were the ones in the wrong towards the end of the arc.

Edit: Please tell me Togashi is readrawing chapter 337 this is embarrassing -,-

1. The 4kids dub ruined One Piece's reputation and even to this day it can't fully escape it
  2. One Piece premiered on the doomed FOX BOX cartoon mornings while Naruto benefited from premiering on Toonami
  3. One Piece just seems more "kiddy" from the outset (hence why 4kids accidentally licensed it)
  4. One Piece just takes longer to get into for a mainstream(ish) audience
  5. The Funimation dub is still half a decade behind and not on TV
Or people actually liked Naruto more than one piece. All these justifications don't mean anything if some part of the public did not like one piece.

Quick Correction: By this I mostly mean why its not popular in english speaking countries (mostly the US). One Piece actually is more popular worldwide than Naruto.
I highly doubt that. Unless you have actual figures backing it up.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Holy crap so you can multi-quote? :0

Anyway some here thought it was a waste of space. How it took Togashi too many pages to show Meruem's death.

Dude, how is it possible that you fail to notice this? Hahaha.

As in the arc or the whole manga?

I thought it was a really touching and sombre end for the chimera ant arc, which is a rare and hard thing to find in shounen manga.

No I meant what echothreealpha said (a little mind-blown moment, I always thought its echotherealalpha). The chapter when he's shown to share his last moments with that blind lady... when everyone thought it's already done and finished BAM, one more full chapter detailing his last moment again.

I agree with you that it's really touching and I enjoyed it greatly... as cliched as it was.

I think NA or US mostly is the only place where Bleach wins over OP but i could be wrong .
Still sales of manga so small outside Japan that you add up rest of world with other series and still won't get near OP alone in Japan .
Lol what? Show me the numbers. FYI merchandizing etc are also part of the franchise.

Magi

Aladdin vs. Alibaba might happen. At least he cut the magi supply tube. The Finalis know about Aladdin.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's a super obvious answer - One Piece has non-standard anime art and the power levels aren't as readily apparent.

Hunter x Hunter

Honestly it made me really dislike Netero, Meruem was willing to discuss with him and Netero had just decided it had to be fight or die. The fact that it was obvious Netero really was no match for Meruem made this fact even more frustrating. Togashi really did a great job of making the protagonist look like they were the ones in the wrong towards the end of the arc.

Seems like the prez saw him as way too much of a threat (even if Meruem claimed to want discussion what are the chances he would turn back) plus also a challenge since he has been training for years.

One Piece has non-standard anime art and the power levels aren't as readily apparent.

not a bad reason

Hunter X Hunter Election Arc

YAY Leorio's back! Boo Kurapika only made a small cameo at the end looking especially dark and moody. I enjoyed Killua's half of the story then the actual election half of the story, though seeing Ging and Gon finally reunite was pretty heart warming. Glad to see Hisoka back as well doing what he does best and I really love Killua's little sister.

Tease for the next arc seems legit, can't wait for it to not be on hiatus... D:

I really enjoyed the Kurapika side chapters, are they supposed to tie into the film or are they there to give Kurapika some much needed screen time?

As a whole I loved Hunter X Hunter really is one of the best manga series I've read since I joined this thread and took my manga reading to a whole new level. It's in my top 3 favorites alongside One Piece and Magi and honestly it may be the best of the three if it weren't for lazy art and hiatus x hiatus status. Yeah I read it in a marathon but I still feel annoyed that it took 8 years to complete the Chimera Ant arc.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The power level thing is really important - it's the same reason Dragonball was never really popular in the US but Dragon Ball Z was wildly popular even though there wasn't any context for anything that had occurred up to that point.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Oda has legions of goons in this very thread ready to give up their internet lives for him. Odadick Riders come in GROVES.

Bleachomies gotta stick together, on the other hand. The situation is precisely reversed when it comes to percentages of haters and lovers.

Disclaimer: I am neither.

It's the same reason Dragonball was never really popular in the US but Dragon Ball Z was wildly popular even though there wasn't any context for the rest of the series.

Really did you need any context to follow any of Z's plot? Outside of the very beginning with Piccolo being "a bad guy" nothing in the rest of the series ever needed any knowledge that there was events that happened before Z.

The power level thing is really important - it's the same reason Dragonball was never really popular in the US but Dragon Ball Z was wildly popular even though there wasn't any context for anything that had occurred up to that point.

Ah DBZ power level discussion.

That shit was like a required topic in schools LOL

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Oda has legions of goons in this very thread ready to give up their internet lives for him. Odadick Riders come in GROVES.

Bleachomies gotta stick together, on the other hand. The situation is precisely reversed when it comes to percentages of haters and lovers.

One Piece fans = Odadick Riders.

Bleach fans = Bleachomies.

Naruto fans = ???

Give names also to fans of popular work here in MangaGAF, I'm curious with what you can come up with, hahahaha.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
One Piece fans = Odadick Riders.

Bleach fans = Bleachomies.

Naruto fans = ???

Give names also to fans of popular work here in MangaGAF, I'm curious with what you can come up with, hahahaha.
Narutools don't really deserve names for liking such shit. You feel me?

Or well, as the main breh Ignis might say, you blo-mie?
Don't answer that. It's not a real question.

Atredeus

Neo Member

It's "dickriders". One word. Can't mess up like that, Statbro.

Piecake

Hunter X Hunter Election Arc

YAY Leorio's back! Boo Kurapika only made a small cameo at the end looking especially dark and moody. I enjoyed Killua's half of the story then the actual election half of the story, though seeing Ging and Gon finally reunite was pretty heart warming. Glad to see Hisoka back as well doing what he does best and I really love Killua's little sister.

Tease for the next arc seems legit, can't wait for it to not be on hiatus... D:

I really enjoyed the Kurapika side chapters, are they supposed to tie into the film or are they there to give Kurapika some much needed screen time?

As a whole I loved Hunter X Hunter really is one of the best manga series I've read since I joined this thread and took my manga reading to a whole new level. It's in my top 3 favorites alongside One Piece and Magi and honestly it may be the best of the three if it weren't for lazy art and hiatus x hiatus status. Yeah I read it in a marathon but I still feel annoyed that it took 8 years to complete the Chimera Ant arc.

Personally, I think HxH is the best. You should check out the old anime. Its simply amazing.

I have absolutely no expectations that HxH will resume again though. After so many damn Hiatuses, my feelings are fuck it, when it comes out ill read it, but until then im not going to think about it

As for the next thing you should read - Tower of God. Its pure awesome

Azure J

Magi

Those Fanalis are nutsssss. I'm also very curious to see how the Titus angle all plays out now. With super refined Aladdin joining the fray, things can only get better.

You know the only reason Aladdin can be as high and mighty as he is is because he's a god damned demon. He'd have no right to say so much of this stuff if he had to try as hard as anybody else.

Big One

Banned
Still don't understand why Naruto seems more known worldwide than One Piece.
4kids. Also American audiences gravitate towards edgy characters, which is why Naruto and Bleach are more popular here. The Japanese are more open to alternative art styles and finding coolness in pretty much any character. If Luffy doesn't look edgy enough aka covered in zippers, YGO card shit, and etc. he simply isn't going to be appealing to American audiences. A good portion of the anime/manga audience in America are teenagers and young adults who feel like anime/manga are "adult cartoons" which includes both Naruto and Bleach perception-wise.

Aunt Tits

Congratualtions Minamoto....that's one fap you've earned. Savor it.

Bleach

Fuck yeah!

Naruto

Did...Lee....LEE...just use a combination attack that kicked Madara so hard he got half his torso blown off?

O_O

Wat?!

By the way, sup everyone!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom