• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i updated myself and apparently the translator was working on it but it sounds like time has gotten shorter (already caught up with OPM) so more waiting i guess...

maybe Ignis would have helped us out but he is retired from "the game" LOL

I actually asked Boon about it and he says he's working on it and to give him more time.

If not for that and me being busy with stuff I might have called in some favors.

I actually asked Boon about it and he says he's working on it and to give him more time.

If not for that and me being busy with stuff I might have called in some favors.

thanks for the update and i wonder what could be the other series he picks up (if time even allows).

time isn't what it used to be for me either.

Tokyo Jungle

ge5cI2dl.png

Just like the games,
just without the smut.

You know, for supposedly being a post-apocalyptic cyberpunk manga, Eden: It's an Endless World has the worst sense of setting. There are very few establishing shots, and despite being constantly pushed into the future, it looks more and more like present day compared to the earlier volumes. You really forget what the whole series is about sometimes, because it doesn't really have a clear direction. For something that steals so shamelessly from Ghost in the Shell, you'd think they'd be able to emulate some of that atmosphere and attention to detail. Everything's just half-assed despite so much work being put into it. Cut the grind in half and double the planning with these sorts of things.

fertygo

Eyeshield 21 ch 250-275

As I feared, the game against the Dinosaurs was a bit of a letdown after the emotion of the Ojo game. I
did like how Hiruma, in such a broken state, was able to take the field again after being destroyed. It reminded me of Byron Leftwich being carried to the line by his teammates after breaking his shin. With 3 weeks left before the next game, I hope we get some downtime with these characters, which he haven't had in a long time.

But its the last great game on the series :(

sorry bro to "spoiling" you a bit.

Medaka Box 94-127

Assuming this doesn't suddenly go to shit it'll become one of the few shounen battle mangas I enjoy enough to regularly keep up with.

Welp.
I'm sure she's just trolling.

Enjoyment's dipped a bit, though it's only down to great from excellent. The treasure hunt was underwhelming, largely due to the 5 trainees being generally uninteresting. Kumagawa continues to be the best male character in the history of manga.

You know, for supposedly being a post-apocalyptic cyberpunk manga, Eden: It's an Endless World has the worst sense of setting. There are very few establishing shots, and despite being constantly pushed into the future, it looks more and more like present day compared to the earlier volumes. You really forget what the whole series is about sometimes, because it doesn't really have a clear direction. For something that steals so shamelessly from Ghost in the Shell, you'd think they'd be able to emulate some of that atmosphere and attention to detail. Everything's just half-assed despite so much work being put into it. Cut the grind in half and double the planning with these sorts of things.

You with your Edens.

Akito

4 volumes left, let's do this

Nononono v10
The emperor is the most tsuntsun tsundere I've ever seen, he normally beats the crap out of people but always secretly scribbles their names on their skis as a good luck charm. Everyone should watch out for Kishitani in the second round. Let's see what's the deal with the committee chairman, I don't recognize him.

Kreed

Akito

Nononono v11
This volume is probably the best so far because it concentrates solely on ski jumping. Granted Negita's background story is is absurdly grim and over the top for a sports manga and lengths of the jumps are becoming more and more ridiculous but somehow it's quite engaging. Also dat twist at the end.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Karate minoru 165

Seriously, the plot in this is scatter shot as hell. First it's about going against the martial arts committee or something, then we go to focusing on minoru becoming better, then it's about mutou going to KOS, then the karate group got disbanded. All of them with incredibly jarring transitions.

Mutou is still the boss though

I know what he meant. It's just that in Japan these two mangas arguably wouldn't be part of a "big 3" anymore in terms of Jump rankings/sales. At the very least Bleach would have been kicked out of any "Big 3" years ago. It's mainly a traditional US manga readers thing that seems to have no rules on what makes them a Big 3 except being the three most popular to US readers during the time that phrase was created.

When people first start calling them the Big 3 they were some of the highest selling Manga in Jump that came out around the same time but they were also popular WW don't forget the phase has been around since 2004 or 5 i think .
Which why even thought Bleach sells less than Naruto or OP in Japan (sales number were much higher years ago ) it out sold OP in NA which made it part of the Big 3 WW .
When it comes to Japan HxH should be part of the Big 3 but it's not as popular WW so it misses out ( which also thanks to Togashi breaks )

Also in Japan Naruto is the second highest sell manga by single Vol sales so of course it's should still be part of the Big 3 .
They got few other manga that used out sell it but there were not Jump titles .
As for Bleach while sales down it still popular WW more than any other title in Jump other than OP and Naruto .

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-12-02/50-top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-volume/2012
Single Vol sales .

Kiraboshi Dial 1 - 6 (end)
tumblr_me8jg5L6dk1ravyleo3_250.jpg

A good story of a young doctor trying to start his career new in a small rural village as he runs from one of his issues that haunts him, and thus exploring his feelings with that and helping one of the villagers suffering from a past trauma and claustrophobia with his odd definition of how to express gratitude. Was a fast read and pretty fun at times while getting a tad bit emotional. Liked how their relationship developed as well as some of the other characters around them. Exgirlfriend was pretty awful only sticking with Kazuhita because of money for sex stuff but fortunately she had decreasing and decreased importance. I liked the character designs and the setting.

upandaway

When people say "Big 3" I think they just mean OP, Naruto and Bleach exclusively. Not best selling anyone or most popular anydude anyguy.

Putting any technicality to this is just trying to figure out how and/or why we got to this situation. When one of the series ends, AND another series explodes in the western market, that's when people will move on.

When people say "Big 3" I think they just mean OP, Naruto and Bleach exclusively. Not best selling anyone or most popular anydude anyguy.

Putting any technicality to this is just trying to figure out how and/or why we got to this situation. When one of the series ends, AND another series explodes in the western market, that's when people will move on.

They also mean Jump titles but both sales and WW popularity have something to do with it along with when they running depending on who you ask .
I wonder what Jump going to do when Bleach and Naruto done nothing has come close to them expect maybe Assassination Classroom in the last few years .
Assassination Classroom could be next huge Jump hit in Japan selling 450 k plus with no anime yet .

upandaway

They also mean Jump titles but both sales and WW popularity have something to do with it along with when they running depending on who you ask .
Well sure, both of those are common things among the Big 3. But say something of DBZ proportions pops up in a different magazine. And for how popular it is in the west, it still sells less than Bleach in Japan. Then things happen and it's big 3 after a while. The VERY SAME thing might happen, and it could still never become one of the "big 3".

In the end, what sticks sticks, just like memes and whatever whatsoever whoever (whenever).

I think I wanted to write something else but at some point I got too amused by playing with "__ever" a lot, so there you go.

I wonder what Jump going to do when Bleach and Naruto done nothing has come close to them expect maybe Assassination Classroom in the last few years .
Assassination Classroom could be next huge Jump hit in Japan selling 450 k plus with no anime yet .
Can a series in Assassination Classrooms genre really actually sell million per volume?

Well sure, both of those are common things among the Big 3. But say something of DBZ proportions pops up in a different magazine. And for how popular it is in the west, it still sells less than Bleach in Japan. Then things happen and it's big 3 after a while. The VERY SAME thing might happen, and it could still never become one of the "big 3".

In the end, what sticks sticks, just like memes and whatever whatsoever whoever (whenever).

I think I wanted to write something else but at some point I got too amused by playing with "__ever" a lot, so there you go.

Well we were talking about how the phase Big 3 came about , of course things can change over time but still that is how it started .

Can a series in Assassination Classrooms genre really actually sell million per volume?

Don't know but it is Jump next big manga that is for certain .
Selling 450k plus in such a short time and without anime is huge .
I can see Jump really pushing it when the times comes , for it to be there next million selling series or close to it .

fertygo

Bleach's popularity still up there with Naruto and OP worldwide, so we can rule it out as "Big 3" even if in Japan its starting sliding, I mean what other title that came close?

Jump wanted Toriko to replace Bleach but that failed miserably lol.

Not to say Toriko is bad since it does well and I happen to like for the first 25 chapters I've read.

upandaway

Well we were talking about how the Big 3 came about , of course things can change over time but saying how it started .
Yeah I know, I was trying to say how it could have just as easily not caught on, if things happened just a little bit differently, or it might still have caught on even if Naruto was in a different mag etc etc

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I'd hope nothing comes close to Bleach & Naruto, they're both pretty lame.

If by Bleach & Naruto you mean Naruto then sure.

Anyway, DBZ Kai has recently started showing here in the England, and I sometimes tune in to it to kill time. Last time I watched the whole series was back when it was popular, so I must have been 10 or 11. I dunno, but I'm finding the series pretty shit and boring now.
Death isn't impactful at all, seeing as you can just wish characters back to life, special powers are just basically different coloured beams with no unique attributes other than causing big explosions, everyone who isn't a Saiyan or the main antagonist is fodder, power-ups offer nothing unique other than becoming physically stronger, the story is basically "here's a stronger villain than the last, go beat him before he destroys the world", etc...

I mean, I remember liking the Ginyu Force when I was younger, but rewatching it, they're hyped up to be unbeatable, then Goku arrives like one episode later and rapes all of them... that's some Fairy Tail shit right there.
I just wonder why people hold in such high regard, even today when much more unique and greater anime/manga exist. I mean, I got a little nostalgic with some scenes, but it didn't stop from realising how utterly crap it was.

Jump wanted Toriko to replace Bleach but that failed miserably lol.

Not to say Toriko is bad since it does well and I happen to like for the first 25 chapters I've read.

Yep Jump really tried with Toriko but that fail big time .
Manga Vol sales not as good as Bleach or even close .
Still bleach numbers have gone up and depending on how the manga goes i can see it getting back fans .

K - Stray Dog Story 3
tumblr_mhak68RlGV1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Yatogami Kuroh and his love for Eichigen sama was amazing as well as the little lecture about master and disciple relationship to the old man and the apprentice cook. Galaxy Cradle and the Supernova cooking were really good page panels. And the demon taste tester...hope we get Yata Misaki in this manga sometime.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
What.

If anything I'd say that it tries to go for those too much. Which is why I feel it doesn't have as much impact as it should have.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Yeah Toriko is good but i feel it missing something .
I guess if have to put in into words it would be cool factor\ emotional impact \ hype factor .
Which is why i think it did not catch on like Jump wanted to .

I dunno about the Hype Factor. Most of the fights have tons of "DAYUM SON, OH SHIT!" moments, such as
Toriko regaining strength from the Jewel Meat and preceding to own Staar's GT Robo to avenge Rin in the Regal Mammoth, or where he loses an arm and is brought to the brink of death against Tommy, or when he comes back from Bubble Road and practically rapes that Golem creature and goes toe to toe with Chiyo, or when the Kings are demonstrating their new techniques against the 4 beasts, or when Ichiryuu busts into the Bishokukai's HQ, and especially this current fight in the Food Stadium.

I agree it lack emotional imact though, but I think the reason it hasn't done as well as Jump hoped is due to the Food premise, with some people not wanting to commit to something so "stupid", which is pretty sad. Also, the anime is aimed at children, cutting out all the gore, changing certain aspects of the story, and adding tons of silly advertisements for their shitty toys. Really annoyed me when Komatsu used that weird hand grinder toy thing to "better flavour" the Jewel Meat...

Akito

Nononono v12
Ski jumping has to be the most luck based sport ever according to this manga, the weather and winds seem to change every 30 seconds, the jury can adjust the gate and send jumpers out as they see fit. There are probably some truth in it but I suspect this is a case of Okamoto being being a shit writer who is not able to build tension properly so he has to make things as random as possible.
Now let's see how the half-dead Kishitani will make the jump. I fully expect the ending to suck given the goal of the main character is to win Olympic gold but they're still competing at Inter Highs and there's one volume left.

upandaway

Nononono v12
Ski jumping has to be the most luck based sport ever according to this manga, the weather and winds seem to change every 30 seconds, the jury can adjust the gate and send jumpers out as they see fit. There are probably some truth in it but I suspect this is a case of Okamoto being being a shit writer who is not able to build tension properly so he has to make things as random as possible.
Now let's see how the half-dead Kishitani will make the jump. I fully expect the ending to suck given the goal of the main character is to win Olympic gold but they're still competing at Inter Highs and there's one volume left.
As long as your expectations are in check!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom