• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiseblade

Still don't understand why Naruto seems more known worldwide than One Piece.

Blame 4Kids. Also, I remember being really shocked how prominent the OP merch was when I went to a Parisian manga shop a couple of years ago. I'm guessing the French dub was actually decent?

When i made that most many moons ago it was more of the sales side of the Big 3 than the popularity.

I still say that POS version of the OP anime ruined whatever chance of it being as popular in the west even after it was "fixed" way later. The Naruto and Bleach animes were a different story (watched them even though i was reading the manga at the same time)

Well if your talking the west it depends on where you talking about .
In NA Bleach and Naruto more popular than OP .
If your talking EU for eg France OP has the lead over Bleach and that market makes around 40% -50% of total manga sales in EU last time i check .
If i remember right HxH also sold good in France .

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
  1. The 4kids dub ruined One Piece's reputation and even to this day it can't fully escape it
  2. One Piece premiered on the doomed FOX BOX cartoon mornings while Naruto benefited from premiering on Toonami
  3. One Piece just seems more "kiddy" from the outset (hence why 4kids accidentally licensed it)
  4. One Piece just takes longer to get into for a mainstream(ish) audience
  5. The Funimation dub is still half a decade behind and not on TV

Atredeus

Neo Member
Magi 171

I think we all knew how that magi-nuke was fueled. Surprising to see Titus taking it all down. Aladdin's speech was meh, but I'm curious to see how broken he is when he takes those crystals out.

Kurita

Blame 4Kids. Also, I remember being really shocked how prominent the OP merch was when I went to a Parisian manga shop a couple of years ago. I'm guessing the French dub was actually decent?

Meh, not really. It's not bad though, I really like Sanji, Zoro and Usopp (who has a different name in the manga, Pipo. Still a mystery...) voices but overall it's not fantastic.
Naruto and One Piece are nearly tied in France actually. Naruto wins by a small margin.
Bleach is way behind, Fairy Tail and Black Butler outsell it.

Hunter X Hunter The Chimera Ant Arc

Wow

Just

Wow

This is the second time a manga/anime has legit made me cry
not counting pokemon movie 1 as a kid
, all of these feelings just rushing though me. Meruem was so complex of a character and his bond with Komugi truly was incredibly well done. Half way though the finale I started questioning who I was rooting for, our protagonist the Hunters of Meruem who truly had changed thanks to Komugi's influence. That's not even considering the other incredible moments like when Gon's slow decent into madness at the end and the moment where he snapped when he was forced to accept Kaito was truly dead.

I dunno how you guys read this live and didn't go crazy, the emotions and drama just continued to build and build to it's explosive climax at the end and each hiatus seemed like it was at an apex. I really hope the current anime gets to animate this arc because it'll truly be incredible.

grandjedi6

1. The 4kids dub ruined One Piece's reputation and even to this day it can't fully escape it
  2. One Piece premiered on the doomed FOX BOX cartoon mornings while Naruto benefited from premiering on Toonami
  3. One Piece just seems more "kiddy" from the outset (hence why 4kids accidentally licensed it)
Quick Correction: By this I mostly mean why its not popular in english speaking countries (mostly the US). One Piece actually is more popular worldwide than Naruto.

Meh, not really. It's not bad though, I really like Sanji, Zoro and Usopp (who has a different name in the manga, Pipo. Still a mystery...) voices but overall it's not fantastic.
Naruto and One Piece are nearly tied in France actually. Naruto wins by a really small margin.

I think NA or US mostly is the only place where Bleach wins over OP but i could be wrong .
Still sales of manga so small outside Japan that you add up rest of world with other series and still won't get near OP alone in Japan .

Well if your talking the west it depends on where you talking about .
In NA Bleach and Naruto more popular than OP .
If your talking EU for eg France OP has the lead over Bleach and that market makes around 40% -50% of total manga sales in EU last time i check .
If i remember right HxH also sold good in France .

it was more of the US side i was mulling about.

Hunter X Hunter The Chimera Ant Arc

Wow

Just

Wow

This is the second time a manga/anime has legit made me cry
not counting pokemon movie 1 as a kid
, all of these feelings just rushing though me. Meruem was so complex of a character and his bond with Komugi truly was incredibly well done. Half way though the finale I started questioning who I was rooting for, our protagonist the Hunters of Meruem who truly had changed thanks to Komugi's influence. That's not even considering the other incredible moments like when Gon's slow descent into madness at the end and the moment where he snapped when he was forced to accept Kaito was truly dead.

I dunno how you guys read this live and didn't go crazy, the emotions and drama just continued to build and build to it's explosive climax at the end and each hiatus seemed like it was at an apex. I really hope the current anime gets to animate this arc because it'll truly be incredible.

Hunter X Hunter

IIRC some poster in here thought the ending wasn't great but i loved it due to the King/Komugi interaction right there (and the ones before it).

And Gon's "spiral" was also a joy to see (especially when Killua was present and seeing the change also) plus the fight between the King and the president.

Isnt one piece way further and still on tv in places outside the us?

Hunter X Hunter

IIRC some thought the ending wasn't great but i loved it due to the King/Komugi interaction right there (and the ones before it).

And Gon's "decent" was also a joy to see (especially when Killua was present and seeing the change also) plus the fight between the King and the president.

I dunno what you're talking about *whistles and walks away*

grandjedi6

Naruto isn't really cooler.
Seriously, his outfit is terrible.

1NXlc11.gif

K9qAI95.gif

Mr. Fix

Ninjas and dudes with swords are the obvious reasons why the other 2 hit it big here. Especially when it was directed at teens. And the OP art was blegh, as subjective as it is. That opening was memorable though.

Popstar

Magi 171

So many Fanalis and no Mor :( I wonder if there's a reason they come across as so much more savage in battle than she does?

It was obvious what the power source was. Looking forward to Aladdin taking off the limiters next chapter and possibly reuniting with Alibaba.

Complex Love (one shot)
tumblr_mh7i0ngPjU1rat44xo1_500.png

tumblr_mh7i0ngPjU1rat44xo2_500.png

Male beauty pageant at the university. Really short and sweet as Tomoki grows to know more of the seemingly perfect Kouya who made that declaration that if he wins the pageant then they would have to go out together. Conclusion was quite good and that message of love.

Piecake

Been reading Drifters. Cool concept, but the main Satsuma guy kinda ruins it for me. He is just super lame. Though that might be me hating on the whole OP samurai bullshit who can kill a hundred men in a blink of an eye.

Oda Nobunaga and Hannibal are awesome though. If they got rid of that Satsuma Shmuck and just focused on technology, strategy and new waves of thinking changing that fantasy world it would be really interesting

Rorschach

One Piece's character designs take some getting used to.

w0IfExU.jpg

vs
vZzs0n9.jpg

Obviously Bentham is a way bigger badass and has a more touching story of sacrifice and betrayal, but which do you think US audiences will gravitate towards?

Kuma's hat and hair still annoyed me for a while...

tumblr_m75yyp0mPv1r1h6koo1_500.jpg

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Kurogane 1

Everyone sure got used to the ghost doll fast.

While I'm on a sports manga kick, is there any others I should check out?

bigkrev

Eyeshield 21 276-End

....Yeah, this series probably should have ended after the Ojo game. Before that Ojo game, I thought there was a chance they would loose to them again. After the win, I never felt any emotion in the games- I knew they were winning regardless of the odds. Once Sena beat Shin, there was just something missing. We did get some nice fanservice with all of the stars coming together to help train Deimon before the christmas bowl (It was kinda crazy when Ishimaru of all people broke out the Rodeo Drive in the game), and then the all star team playing in the world cup. Even though it was not that many chapters, and a ton of characters, they managed to build new character elements for some of them- Agon became one of the most interesting characters in the series IMO in this final arc. Unfortunately, with the world cup, we got back to the strange obsession the author has with black people. In a series where they payed such respect to the game of football, the ignorance they throw at race in general really comes across as ignorant at best. I did like the ending though- not showing the overtime (based on the final page, i'm guessing USA won and Panther got MVP?), and that all the players are now on different teams- Its nice to see Kurita and Hiruma on different teams going against each other, Sena and Mamori opposing, ect.

In the end, I really enjoyed the series. The art is top notch throughout, the comedy mostly works, there is a great reverence for the game, and the characters/relationships are well done. In many cases, like with Riku (who I dismissed from the beginning as existing purely for Fujoshi-bait), there is long term character development that changes your views on them by the end of the series. They do a great job of taking Shonen tropes like power ups and working them into the context of Football- when I started off, I was pretty unhappy with the football but by the end of the series, when they are breaking out Wishbone formations, Flea Flickers, Zone Blitzes and Triple Options, its a ton of fun.

With this done, I guess i'm going to be starting One Piece. Is it a slow starter? I want to know how long I should give it if I don't like it.

Lain

Been reading Drifters. Cool concept, but the main Satsuma guy kinda ruins it for me. He is just super lame. Though that might be me hating on the whole OP samurai bullshit who can kill a hundred men in a blink of an eye.

Oda Nobunaga and Hannibal are awesome though. If they got rid of that Satsuma Shmuck and just focused on technology, strategy and new waves of thinking changing that fantasy world it would be really interesting

By Satsuma, do you mean Shimazu? If that's the case, I thought he was plenty cool myself, what with his weird honor code and pride, making him act in that crazy unpredictable way which also lends to the cool factor about him. You never know how it'll end when he sets out.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Yep and then we compare a character like Bon Clay who is obviously designed to look awkward to someone like Zabusa who is designed to look menacing/cool.

Not bad.

Also, Bon Clay isn't introduced early on where Zabuza is the first major villain they fight. A better comparison would be to Captain Morgan.

Also, what's wrong with how Luffy looks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom