• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
4kids. Also American audiences gravitate towards edgy characters, which is why Naruto and Bleach are more popular here. The Japanese are more open to alternative art styles and finding coolness in pretty much any character. If Luffy doesn't look edgy enough aka covered in zippers, YGO card shit, and etc. he simply isn't going to be appealing to American audiences. A good portion of the anime/manga audience in America are teenagers and young adults who feel like anime/manga are "adult cartoons" which includes both Naruto and Bleach perception-wise.

What is the deal with all the Yugioh card references? I can't ever tell if you like them or what.

Big One

Banned
What is the deal with all the Yugioh card references? I can't ever tell if you like them or what.
YGO character designs define what is everything wrong with the perception of what anime is supposed to be like to Western audiences. Featuring terrible character and monster designs where characters have random spikes, zippers, and random shit just for the purpose of making them look edgy. And this is someone who plays the YGO TCG a lot, mind you.

Everything that is wrong with character design in anime has it's prime culprit in YGO. So when you see that type of garbage in Naruto and Bleach all I can think about is these fucking awful designs on YGO cards and in the YGO anime that look exactly the same.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
4kids. Also American audiences gravitate towards edgy characters, which is why Naruto and Bleach are more popular here. The Japanese are more open to alternative art styles and finding coolness in pretty much any character. If Luffy doesn't look edgy enough aka covered in zippers, YGO card shit, and etc. he simply isn't going to be appealing to American audiences. A good portion of the anime/manga audience in America are teenagers and young adults who feel like anime/manga are "adult cartoons" which includes both Naruto and Bleach perception-wise.

Luffy looks like Huck Finn which is extremely generic looking to western audiences.

Jim_and_ghost_huck_finn.jpg

duckroll

One Piece - War Saga (Sabaody, Amazon Lily, Impel Down, Marineford, Post-War)

That was... really something. It's pretty impressive how much of a page turner One Piece can be when it gets serious. There are so many different things happening at any give time that it's really hard stop reading because you really want to know what happens next.

I think the dramatic curve of the larger arc here was really interesting because it didn't start with much indication that the Whitebeard and Ace events would have much direct connection with what the Straw Hats were doing, especially since they were on their way to the New World, and it would not have been unusual for the larger events in the world to play out without Luffy until later on.

But instead of following a more predictable pattern, the narrative presents several red herrings in the Sabaody arc, making it seem like a foregone conclusion that the characters would head off into the New World shortly. There's the introduction of a new range of rival pirates, the 3 day "time limit", and Luffy repeatedly not wanting to get involved in Ace's business. Then out of nowhere, the crew are completely separated, completely derailing the progress the story has been building up to. Surprises like this are really good, especially when the pay off they lead to is worth it.

What was particularly impressive was how the story was willing to go with a solo Luffy narrative for so long. One arc after another with just Luffy, without his ship, without his crew, and yet he manages to build an army for himself to challenge an enemy far beyond his capabilities. While this might seem initially like a sort of cop out, denying his crew of the glory and development they deserve at this pivotal moment in the story, by the end it becomes extremely clear what the intention of this was.

Luffy has grown throughout the series - he has gotten stronger, he has gotten bolder, and his crew members have increased in both quality and quantity. But has Luffy grown as a leader? Is he even a natural leader? Was it just luck that got him the support and loyalty of his crew? Did he only make it this far because of the crew carrying him? We saw back in Water 7 that Luffy's leadership qualities were definitely there, but he was still dealing with people who were already on his side. With the Impel Down and Marineford arcs, we see how much Luffy has truly grown as a force to be reckoned with in the world. His magnetic personality and willpower draws many people to him, both former foes and strangers alike. It really felt like a special sort of foreshadowing for where the series could go in the far future, if Luffy ever feels the need to create an army for a cause again.

I also think it's pretty shocking how major characters actually died at the end of the saga. The manga has always been so resistant to killing off any character, no matter how badly wounded they get. It's actually something I really enjoyed, because it gives a sense of hope for everyone - both heroes and villains, and getting beaten just means they learn from it and either improve their skills or change their outlook on the world to live a more peaceful life. Having Ace and Whitebeard actually killed, and making Luffy's entire mission just fall apart right in front of him is a pretty powerful sucker punch. I guess it's also the natural motivator for the time skip, so all the characters can get much stronger before they head into the New World.

Oddly enough, even after all that, I'll say that I personally felt the Enies Lobby arc was much better executed. The scale and twists throughout the War Saga is no doubt the highest that One Piece has ever seen, but on a character level, and in terms of pace, Enies Lobby was much more satisfying. Impel Down was a lot of fun in terms of variety, but I did go "reaaaaaaally?" a few times as they kept trying to make the prison seem more and more terrible as it got lower. After a certain point it was just comical and started to lose the effect of horror. Lol. I loved the PX units showing up in Marineford though, that was totally a X-men Sentinel moment. They're probably the best enemies the World Government have come up with so far. (Okay I just love robots, sue me. :p)

Definitely looking forward to the post-timeskip stuff. I hope they actually have details on how the crew have improved themselves in the two years. Especially Nico Robin. The Dragon plot elements are extremely interesting to me.

P.S. What did the fans reading One Piece weekly think about the chapter where they're all talking to Rayleigh and Luffy basically goes "NO SPOILERS! TELL ME AND I QUIT!" when Ussop was asking about the treasure? I thought that was pretty cool, because it served two purposes - 1) it teases readers with "hey, are you still interested in this larger mystery?", 2) it confirms that the actual direction of story is not so much about what One Piece is, but rather the journey to One Piece. I think it's a good thing to be able to dangle an "answer" in front of the audience and deny it from them, without making people really mad. It means that people are mostly reading the story for the story itself, and not for perceived promises of answers which could "justify" a lackluster ongoing story.

Big One

Banned
To be a little more descriptive of what I mean by "YGO" when I describe designs, I always think of these guys:

LDgtD52.jpg

Every single protagonist here, and their ace monsters, are overdesigned garbage, and that's the type of shit you see in Naruto and Bleach all the time that gets on my nerves.

Of course the designs in questions are meant to appeal to kids, but in the West it appeals to a large base of teenagers and adults also, which is why something like Naruto and Bleach are more appealing than One Piece to Western audiences.

P.S. What did the fans reading One Piece weekly think about the chapter where they're all talking to Rayleigh and Luffy basically goes "NO SPOILERS! TELL ME AND I QUIT!" when Ussop was asking about the treasure? I thought that was pretty cool, because it served two purposes - 1) it teases readers with "hey, are you still interested in this larger mystery?", 2) it confirms that the actual direction of story is not so much about what One Piece is, but rather the journey to One Piece. I think it's a good thing to be able to dangle an "answer" in front of the audience and deny it from them, without making people really mad. It means that people are mostly reading the story for the story itself, and not for perceived promises of answers which could "justify" a lackluster ongoing story.

Holy wall of text, how long did it take you type all that? o_O

To answer your question, Oda is just being a tease and to reiterate that One Piece exists in one form or another to keep readers hooked.

Also GAF do we have a Gaf Anime thread? Can I get a link please? Too lazy to search for it. Mostly cause I want to complain about how terrible Saint Seiya Omega is since the beginning.

Edit: God that last pic gives me nightmares, what the hell did Yu Gi Oh's author do to let Yuma happen? Made me drop the Yu-gi-oh anime completely after the awesome 5Ds (Don't judge Motorcycles and dueling was awesome imo!)

Korosenai

One Piece (Not chapter specific, but contains spoilers about possible future fights)

So what characters will Luffy be fighting in the next upcoming arcs?

People we have yet to see a lot of that play a big role in the story:

The 11 Supernovas (Mainly X-Drake and the Eustass/Hawkins/Scratchmen trio)
Kaido
Big Mom
BlackBeard
Shanks
Doflamingo
Zoro and his possible fight with Mihawk
Akainu and the marines

And i'm sure Oda is going to devote an arc to the Revolutionary Army and Dragon doing some epic shit.

I don't see how Oda is going to cram all of this into the story before everything is said and done.

Holy wall of text, how long did it take you type all that? o_O

To answer your question, Oda is just being a tease and to reiterate that One Piece exists in one form or another to keep readers hooked.

Also GAF do we have a Gaf Anime thread? Can I get a link please? Too lazy to search for it. Mostly cause I want to complain about how terrible Saint Seiya Omega is since the beginning.

AnimeGAF link
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509386

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
One Piece - War Saga (Sabaody, Amazon Lily, Impel Down, Marineford, Post-War)

That was... really something. It's pretty impressive how much of a page turner One Piece can be when it gets serious. There are so many different things happening at any give time that it's really hard stop reading because you really want to know what happens next.

I think the dramatic curve of the larger arc here was really interesting because it didn't start with much indication that the Whitebeard and Ace events would have much direct connection with what the Straw Hats were doing, especially since they were on their way to the New World, and it would not have been unusual for the larger events in the world to play out without Luffy until later on.

But instead of following a more predictable pattern, the narrative presents several red herrings in the Sabaody arc, making it seem like a foregone conclusion that the characters would head off into the New World shortly. There's the introduction of a new range of rival pirates, the 3 day "time limit", and Luffy repeatedly not wanting to get involved in Ace's business. Then out of nowhere, the crew are completely separated, completely derailing the progress the story has been building up to. Surprises like this are really good, especially when the pay off they lead to is worth it.

What was particularly impressive was how the story was willing to go with a solo Luffy narrative for so long. One arc after another with just Luffy, without his ship, without his crew, and yet he manages to build an army for himself to challenge an enemy far beyond his capabilities. While this might seem initially like a sort of cop out, denying his crew of the glory and development they deserve at this pivotal moment in the story, by the end it becomes extremely clear what the intention of this was.

Luffy has grown throughout the series - he has gotten stronger, he has gotten bolder, and his crew members have increased in both quality and quantity. But has Luffy grown as a leader? Is he even a natural leader? Was it just luck that got him the support and loyalty of his crew? Did he only make it this far because of the crew carrying him? We saw back in Water 7 that Luffy's leadership qualities were definitely there, but he was still dealing with people who were already on his side. With the Impel Down and Marineford arcs, we see how much Luffy has truly grown as a force to be reckoned with in the world. His magnetic personality and willpower draws many people to him, both former foes and strangers alike. It really felt like a special sort of foreshadowing for where the series could go in the far future, if Luffy ever feels the need to create an army for a cause again.

I also think it's pretty shocking how major characters actually died at the end of the saga. The manga has always been so resistant to killing off any character, no matter how badly wounded they get. It's actually something I really enjoyed, because it gives a sense of hope for everyone - both heroes and villains, and getting beaten just means they learn from it and either improve their skills or change their outlook on the world to live a more peaceful life. Having Ace and Whitebeard actually killed, and making Luffy's entire mission just fall apart right in front of him is a pretty powerful sucker punch. I guess it's also the natural motivator for the time skip, so all the characters can get much stronger before they head into the New World.

Oddly enough, even after all that, I'll say that I personally felt the Enies Lobby arc was much better executed. The scale and twists throughout the War Saga is no doubt the highest that One Piece has ever seen, but on a character level, and in terms of pace, Enies Lobby was much more satisfying. Impel Down was a lot of fun in terms of variety, but I did go "reaaaaaaally?" a few times as they kept trying to make the prison seem more and more terrible as it got lower. After a certain point it was just comical and started to lose the effect of horror. Lol. I loved the PX units showing up in Marineford though, that was totally a X-men Sentinel moment. They're probably the best enemies the World Government have come up with so far. (Okay I just love robots, sue me. :p)

Definitely looking forward to the post-timeskip stuff. I hope they actually have details on how the crew have improved themselves in the two years. Especially Nico Robin. The Dragon plot elements are extremely interesting to me.

I feel confident that One Piece is a 100% cotton T-shirt.

dumbyugi

To be a little more descriptive of what I mean by "YGO" when I describe designs, I always think of these guys:

LDgtD52.jpg

Every single protagonist here, and their ace monsters, are overdesigned garbage, and that's the type of shit you see in Naruto and Bleach all the time that gets on my nerves.

Of course the designs in questions are meant to appeal to kids, but in the West it appeals to a large base of teenagers and adults also, which is why something like Naruto and Bleach are more appealing than One Piece to Western audiences.

Yuma is overdesigned garbage but I don't think any of the rest of them are. Judai is probably a little bit underdesigned. He has generic hair and wears a generic school uniform. Yugi wears a slighlty modified school uniform with a few accesories. When I think of overdesigned garbage I think of Final Fantasy characters not Yu-gi-oh!.

I wish people stop saying this bullshit unless they have data to back it up. A lot of people consider ninja and death good as better than pirates. A lot of people can´t stand the art of one piece. A lot of people like Naruto and Bleach character more one piece. A lot of people think that Naruto and Bleach are better than one piece. But no, continue with this crap if it helps you sleep at night.

FYI, go to youtube and see how many people watch Naruto and Bleach reviews in comparison to one piece, and those are manga fans who read mulitple manga, and not just watch the anime. Saying that 4kids did all this damage after all this time is utter bullshit.

Bullshit that Japanese have more open mind about stuff.

P.S. What did the fans reading One Piece weekly think about the chapter where they're all talking to Rayleigh and Luffy basically goes "NO SPOILERS! TELL ME AND I QUIT!"

I thought it was predictable and stupid. It´s a way to prolong the manga. I mean he could have gotten hints and everything, but no, he has to travel to too many island and get very little out of it in terms of info on finding one piece.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
For whatever its worth, I tend to think that Naruto is not actually really... "overdesigned"..., whatever that means I guess, at least not in comparison with One Piece with all its craziness. If anything I even say that Naruto generally tend to lean to the more conservative side in terms of designs.

I thought it was predictable and stupid. It´s a way to prolong the manga. I mean he could have gotten hints and everything, but no, he has to travel to too many island and get very little out of it in terms of info on finding one piece.

I for some reason thought when I read that scene: "Heh, I guess even Oda himself got no idea where he's gonna take this story."

Pisses me off about the last arc with the blatant Oga/Hilda.

Yep. Kunieda >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hilda.

Big One

Banned
I wish people stop saying this bullshit unless they have data to back it up.
The data exists already, in the form of sales. Naruto and Bleach are two of the top selling anime/manga of all time in the West. One Piece is not.
A lot of people consider ninja and death good as better than pirates. A lot of people can´t stand the art of one piece. A lot of people like Naruto and Bleach character more one piece. A lot of people think that Naruto and Bleach are better than one piece. But no, continue with this crap if it helps you sleep at night.
None of these are the main culprit of why One Piece isn't as popular, and literally have nothing to do with anything we're talking about.

Edit: And to put it in perspective, if sales are what is defined as quality, then Fruits Basket is the best shojo manga ever, and I simply cannot accept that.

Kusagari

Solanin

Wow. What a fantastic manga. It packs such feelings of bliss, sadness, pain, confusion and heartwarming into a mere 28 chapters. The characters, and Meiko especially, all feel so realistic. Meiko really could be any college graduate trying to find his/her place in the world.

As someone who will be graduating from college this summer, it really does hit home. I'd like to say I know what I'm going to do when I get out, but that doubt and uncertainty still creeps in every so often. I could see myself being in a similar situation as Meiko and the rest of the characters soon enough.

And after reading this, it really does feel like a nice precursor to what Asano crafts with Punpun.

The data exists already, in the form of sales. Bleach are two of the top selling anime/manga of all time in the West. One Piece is not.
Yeah, but that does not mean that it was 4kids shit anime that drove people to like Bleach instead of one piece. It means that Bleach that drove people to like Bleach.
None of these are the main culprit of why One Piece isn't as popular, and literally have nothing to do with anything we're talking about.
The hell it does not, since liking character/themes have nothing to do with popularity.

Solanin

Wow. What a fantastic manga. It packs such feelings of bliss, sadness, pain, confusion and heartwarming into a mere 28 chapters. The characters, and Meiko especially, all feel so realistic. Meiko really could be any college graduate trying to find his/her place in the world.

As someone who will be graduating from college this summer, it really does hit home. I'd like to say I know what I'm going to do when I get out, but that doubt and uncertainty still creeps in every so often. I could see myself being in a similar situation as Meiko and the rest of the characters soon enough.

And after reading this, it really does feel like a nice precursor to what Asano crafts with Punpun.
Solanin is way better than Punpun, though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I propose the fact Naruto is more popular than One Piece in the US has more to do with the fact that the former is about Ninjas and the latter is about Pirates.

I might be wrong, but "Ninjas" are generally more marketable than "Pirates"; my childhood for instance are filled with Hollywood movies about ninjas but for the life of me I can't seem to recall any pirate movies, for example. In the west culture Ninjas is just generally more popular than pirates.

I propose the fact Naruto is more popular than One Piece in the US has more to do with the fact that the former is about Ninjas and the latter is about Pirates.

I might be wrong, but "Ninjas" are generally more marketable than "Pirates"; my childhood for instance are filled with Hollywood movies about ninjas but for the life of me I can't seem to recall any pirate movies, for example. In the west culture Ninjas is just generally more popular than pirates.

Hook?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Pirates of the caribbean.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Pirates of the Caribbean. All four movies.
Sure the latter three are weak, but they still made a ton of money.

Fox318

The TV dub of one piece didn't help.

I mean I personally feel like one piece is dumb. As bad as the writing is in Naruto its about characters as opposed to one piece which felt more like setups for shit to happen.

Big One

Banned
Yeah, but that does not mean that it was 4kids shit anime that drove people to like Bleach instead of one piece. It means that Bleach that drove people to like Bleach.
No it was 4kids, simple as that. I know you may not been around back in the days 4kids had the license to dub One Piece, but the mass thought when One Piece was first release that it was a garbage kids show compared to the more "badass" Naruto and Bleach. At large, people watch the anime and that's the impression they get from such series as these (and yes, that's a fact). Not to mention that even before their releases, the niche for Naruto and Bleach were much stronger than of One Piece's as both Naruto and Bleach were essentially hyped by the anime fandom BEFORE they were dubbed and there was nothing for One Piece as...
1. It was released a year before Naruto, and Bleach was released a year after that.
2. It aired on a channel where no Western anime fan really watched for outside of YGO maybe, which was always thought by the anime fanbase to be for kids.
3. Naruto aired on Toonami, which has more credibility than KidsWB/4KidsTV amongst the anime fandom. Bleach aired on Adult Swim, which has more credibility than both.

Naruto and Bleach were setup and advertised as being legit anime series with legit stories and legit characters. One Piece was setup and advertised as a comedy series primarily.

The only reason why I know this is because I used to be one of those sheeple who thought Naruto was hot shit and One Piece was "lame" and the g-word I might get banned for, without actually seeing One Piece outside of a single episode of the dub. This was the massive thought process nearly a decade ago on the Big Three.

The hell it does not, since liking character/themes have nothing to do with popularity.
Again, whether people like the show or not is irrelevant. DBZ is the most popular anime of all time, but has an almost equal amount of lovers and haters that recognize it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

It's not really about Pirates, wasn't it?

Pirates of the caribbean.

Pirates of the Caribbean. All four movies.
Sure the latter three are weak, but they still made a ton of money.

Yes, but I still stand to my opinion that generally speaking, Ninjas are just that more popular than Pirates. When people think about "Cool things" for example, people I think of are more readily to accept stuff like Ninjas, Kungfus, Shaolins, etc etc, than "Pirates"

"Ninjas" is just more universal and more marketable than "Pirates"

PoTC is more like an exception to the rule, and I'd even argue that people seeing it not because it has pirates but more because it has pretty special effects and they want to see Johny Depp fooling around, hahaha.

The TV dub of one piece didn't help.

I mean I personally feel like one piece is dumb. As bad as the writing is in Naruto its about characters as opposed to one piece which felt more like setups for shit to happen.

I heard many awful things about it, hahaha.

Fox318

It's not really about Pirates, wasn't it?

Yes, but I still stand to my opinion that generally speaking, Ninjas are just that more popular than Pirates. When people think about "Cool things from the east," for example, people think of Ninjas, Kungfus, Shaolins, etc etc.

PoTC is more like an exception to the rule, and I'd even argue that people seeing it not because it has pirates but more to see Johny Depp fooling around, hahaha.

It was bad.

Really fucking bad.

And I don't like One Piece.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
No it was 4kids, simple as that. I know you may not been around back in the days 4kids had the license to dub One Piece, but the mass thought when One Piece was first release that it was a garbage kids show compared to the more "badass" Naruto and Bleach. At large, people watch the anime and that's the impression they get from such series as these (and yes, that's a fact). Not to mention that even before their releases, the niche for Naruto and Bleach were much stronger than of One Piece's as both Naruto and Bleach were essentially hyped by the anime fandom BEFORE they were dubbed and there was nothing for One Piece as...
1. It was released a year before Naruto, and Bleach was released a year after that.
2. It aired on a channel where no Western anime fan really watched for outside of YGO maybe, which was always thought by the anime fanbase to be for kids.
3. Naruto aired on Toonami, which has more credibility than KidsWB/4KidsTV amongst the anime fandom. Bleach aired on Adult Swim, which has more credibility than both.

Naruto and Bleach were setup and advertised as being legit anime series with legit stories and legit characters. One Piece was setup and advertised as a comedy series primarily.

Don't forget the rap intro. While Naruto had a "Rock the Dragon" type intro, it still showed what the series is like. It has action.
The rap intro made One Piece seem much goofier than it really is. It also doesn't help that it's utterly terrible, even for 4Kids intros.

Back then, I was in the minority that knew One Piece was brilliant. I discovered the manga in Viz's Shonen Jump and out of all the ones featured I thought it was the best.

*twitch twitch* You don't know the half of it.

Big One

Banned
Yes, but I still stand to my opinion that generally speaking, Ninjas are just that more popular than Pirates. When people think about "Cool things" for example, people I think of are more readily to accept stuff like Ninjas, Kungfus, Shaolins, etc etc, not "Pirates"

PoTC is more like an exception to the rule, and I'd even argue that people seeing it not because it has pirates but more to see Johny Depp fooling around, hahaha.
If Ninja are more universal and marketable than Pirates, then Pirates of the Caribbean wouldn't be some of the most highest grossing films of all time in the WORLD. Not to mention that pirate themes for Halloween costumes are more popular than ninja themes. Though it doesn't really matter, there's always a time and place for whether certain themes are popular depending on what's cool and what isn't cool.

Theme isn't the issue, it's just advertising and marketing that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom