• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must be the only person who has no problem with it. Luffy knows that he's going to have to clash with Shanks at some point to become Pirate King, he always has. Yes, Luffy respects Shanks. But also sees him as someone to surpass. Luffy even says as much in the first chapter.

My first guess was that Shanks was the one Law was planning to take down, although I suppose it is early in the series for that to happen. Makes sense to me that Luffy would know he has to overcome Shanks, just like he has to (eventually) fight Coby.

I must be the only person who has no problem with it. Luffy knows that he's going to have to clash with Shanks at some point to become Pirate King, he always has. Yes, Luffy respects Shanks. But also sees him as someone to surpass. Luffy even says as much in the first chapter.

I was more surprised he was willing to work with Law to take down any of them besides Kaidou. I would expect him to want to take on Big Mom, Shanks, and BB alone, but the way he said it he seemed fine to work together as long as Shanks wasn't up first.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I was more surprised he was willing to work with Law to take down any of them besides Kaidou. I would expect him to want to take on Big Mom, Shanks, and BB alone, but the way he said it he seemed fine to work together as long as Shanks wasn't up first.

Well from the looks of it he's not so much working with Law as Law is working for him. I mean it's not like Law seems to have a whole lot of input as to where they go or when they leave or how Luffy does his thing. Luffy does what Luffy wants.

Well from the looks of it he's not so much working with Law as Law is working for him. I mean it's not like Law seems to have a whole lot of input as to where they go or when they leave or how Luffy does his thing. Luffy does what Luffy wants.

You got a point. It would still seem more in character for him to just say no though. To go against anybody really, not just the yankou.

duckroll

One Piece spoilers

Thanks for the replies about the Rayleigh chapter. I really like reading about what people thought about certain things in the story at the point they read it. It's obviously extremely hard to track down those impressions since it happened years ago. :)

Duckroll where can I read your previous impressions?

I've been catching up in the last 2 weeks, so I posted Skypiea impressions around a week plus ago? Not sure, but it should still be in this thread. There aren't impressions before that because I've mostly been stuck on Skypiea for 8 years or so. I started reading One Piece a long time ago, but it always got bored at Skypiea and stopped. :(

Side question: Did you know about the SHs split before reaching it? Did you know about the time skip? It seems like you didn't know about the deaths which is pretty impressive.

Always fun to see what you think about stuff

I knew about the time skip, that was unavoidable, especially with the new designs and the new movie. I didn't know the circumstances behind the time skip and I didn't know they would get split up. I've made quite a bit of effort to consciously ignore One Piece spoilers for years because I've always wanted to catch up. I think it's been worth it so far. :)

I think that has been one of Oda's biggest blunders for story telling and writing. Whitebeard made sense to meet that fate but it didnt make sense for Ace. We had these huge multiple arcs and race through prison, bringing Luffy back from the doorstep of death, rallying all these allies of past foes, and all Luffy gets in the end is a big punch in the stomach and failure? Didnt really make sense to deliver such an awful and tragic end to the best arc he has ever penned and made everything that Luffy went through feel like an utter waste of time. Hopefully he has read other works by other mangaka and have learned better writing skills to improve his storytelling now. I still pray that somehow that vita vita fruit happens and Ace comes back, so we can at least finally get him, Sabo, and Luffy together, all for one as they reach their dreams in this grande adventure.

Okay, whatever floats your boat! Maybe in the end they'll find that One Piece is an empty sketch pad, and Oda will encourage all readers to write and draw their own story if they're unhappy with how things in the manga turned out. He'll start the New Manga Era!!!

Kusagari

I think at this point he basically sees Law as an extension of his crew.

Plus, teaming up with Law does not mean that Luffy won't get pissed if Law tries to help him take out Shanks/Big Mom/etc or try to do it on his own. I doubt Luffy's fully thought that aspect through yet.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
tumblr_mhbq91vIcU1qap6jmo1_500.png

its on my list of plan to read

Do this means that we can expect a Yaoi SakuragixRukawa avatar some time in the future?

Surprised about DBZ Color on Shonen Jump NA but I hope it expands beyond that even more until we have 15 or more mangas running at once.

Also I want our own TOC for NA Jump, would be hilarious to see the difference in taste between Japan and NA.

Although seeing Naruto rank 1 over and over again is something I could do without.

I think I'm the youngest one here at 19 lol.

I'm wonder if Beelzebub or Soma will come to NA Jump since the issues with nudity and crap even though its mostly for laughs.

Korosenai

Kintoki

I really liked this even though it was basically Dragonball in an alternate universe. I really hope Akira keeps making chapters for this because I'd love to see where it goes.

IHaveIce

Banned
I think that has been one of Oda's biggest blunders for story telling and writing. Whitebeard made sense to meet that fate but it didnt make sense for Ace. We had these huge multiple arcs and race through prison, bringing Luffy back from the doorstep of death, rallying all these allies of past foes, and all Luffy gets in the end is a big punch in the stomach and failure? Didnt really make sense to deliver such an awful and tragic end to the best arc he has ever penned and made everything that Luffy went through feel like an utter waste of time. Hopefully he has read other works by other mangaka and have learned better writing skills to improve his storytelling now. I still pray that somehow that vita vita fruit happens and Ace comes back, so we can at least finally get him, Sabo, and Luffy together, all for one as they reach their dreams in this grande adventure.
I this happens I will hunt you down and give you a smack in the face.

It would be totally stupid if Luffy accomplished everything right there, he had luck for his own survive. There were the strongest characters of the manga and mostly they were against Luffy.

This isn't your Fairy Tail shit where every fight is meaningless because Natsu can't lose for some reason.

Atredeus

Neo Member
You should most likely start Katekyo Hitman Reborn as it was one of the best series running in JUMP through the current generation and Tsuna still remains its best protagonists thus far. How could a series with such a character even be, not good? Simply impossible.

tumblr_lec883DSOK1qeij4xo1_500.jpg

Its a really good story with lots of action adn comedy throughout and one of the manga's best artists leading the way in really good and lovable character designs and action. Sure it may start slow but its a kind of a funny slice of life type thing with all the funny characters, really silly events, and method of powering up. Its well worth reading and checking out and dont really know why people are just so bitter about the manga and the entire journey we went through with it. It had many memorable moments, answered just about every question the franchise introduced, and even had smart and thoughtful character development.

I'm late on this, but I'm now convinced DTL just rates a series on how well he can fap to it, regardless of story.

Lain

/Blush-DC 12-16

I don't know what to think.
I can understand Wataru, but Ume's reaction when Ayane asked him to fuck her and mess her up was better compared to Wataru with Motoka.
Without a serious explanation about Ayane's story it's also a bit hard to tottally root for her, as much as one can actually root for her. Both her and Wataru have some positive traits, but even more negative ones.

I do know 1 thing: I hate the uncle and hope there will be some karmic justice at the end of this to see that asshole burn in hell.

Anyone else reading it by the way?

dumbyugi

/Blush-DC 12-16

I don't know what to think.
I can understand Wataru, but Ume's reaction when Ayane asked him to fuck her and mess her up was better compared to Wataru with Motoka.
Without a serious explanation about Ayane's story it's also a bit hard to tottally root for her, as much as one can actually root for her. Both her and Wataru have some positive traits, but even more negative ones.

I do know 1 thing: I hate the uncle and hope there will be some karmic justice at the end of this to see that asshole burn in hell.

Anyone else reading it by the way?

I dropped it after I found that I hated almost every character in it.

Madao

raise your hand if you live in one of the superior countries in which DB aired before DBZ and the TV stations stuck all the way with it without skipping anything.

*raises hand*

the original DB took off in my country. i'm pretty sure running 5 eps per week helped a lot.

Cwarrior

One Piece - War Saga (Sabaody, Amazon Lily, Impel Down, Marineford, Post-War)

P.S. What did the fans reading One Piece weekly think about the chapter where they're all talking to Rayleigh and Luffy basically goes "NO SPOILERS! TELL ME AND I QUIT!" when Ussop was asking about the treasure? I thought that was pretty cool, because it served two purposes - 1) it teases readers with "hey, are you still interested in this larger mystery?", 2) it confirms that the actual direction of story is not so much about what One Piece is, but rather the journey to One Piece. I think it's a good thing to be able to dangle an "answer" in front of the audience and deny it from them, without making people really mad. It means that people are mostly reading the story for the story itself, and not for perceived promises of answers which could "justify" a lackluster ongoing story.

Personally I knew luffy wouldn't want to hear it since his in it for the Adventure and the journey is the reward for him and the one piece readers.

I felt it was their to communicate to the readers, just how much luffy is in it for the adventure and doesn't want spoil his journey by killing the mystery and luster of the One piece, somethings are better of finding out and experiencing yourself.

Luffy doesn't really care what one piece is imo and wouldn't want the adventure to end so he never takes any shortcuts and explores whatever dangerously cool sound island he wants even if it's a detour of the path.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Kurogane 51

What the fuck is going on?

Sometimes I can't tell what is actually kendo or what is shit made up on the spot by the author.

Antiwhippy

Quite frankly, the dual-wielding is what really made me LOL. That can't be real. If it is, it would look ridiculous.

forgot to post my age: 27!

Sup, younglings?

I've read enough kendo comics where dual wielding is a thing to make me think it's legit. Granted, learning from manga is putting me on pretty shakey ground already.

Better than rotating the wrist so hard that you can deflect the sword which somehow doesn't count as a hit even though it landed on the wrist. What?

bigkrev

So much shitting on DTL recently :(

One-Punch Man

Yeah, i'm going to really like this. The concept of a giant lobster passing out in the park so a kid with a scrotum for a face draws nipples on him is just perfect.

Beelzebub 143

This series really shines as a comedy.

rDJkGXf.png

It also shines when Kunieda gets screentime.

Well that's enough for now, will continue tomorrow.

Antiwhippy

All weapons-based martial arts tournaments are going to be boring as hell. Even hand to hand. MMA and Judo are the only ones I like to watch.

I do enjoy most full contact martial art matches, or even Kata/form exhibitions.

But yeah I don't really get into weapon based matches.

Tantei Gakuen Q 01-62

8F2M2Jjl.jpg

A good old fashion detective series. The mysteries are pretty interesting, it has a good cast, everything just clicks with this series. Rather do wish it was still being translated though.

Eden: It's an Endless World (end)

It's a series about crime and strife in a post-plague future reeling from the loss of 15% of the world's population. It pulls contemporary themes of human cruelty and the struggle of living in a world that stopped caring into a sci-fi vehicle driven by heavy action and political drama. Unfortunately, it doesn't do a good job of establishing setting or pacing, and it's horribly derivative of earlier works like Ghost in the Shell and Akira without capturing the core of what made those two special. An incredibly juvenile perspective of the roles of discrimination and faith in a desperate world contribute to an overall sense of laziness in terms of the story, and cheapens the impact of any potential poignancy(including the most tired Japanese end-game storytelling tropes). It's drive-by cyberpunk at it's best, and incoherent at its worst. It's not really a waste of your time, but it's also not worth a recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom