• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
7 Seeds 1

What the hell am I reading? The summary made it sound like a sci-fi show but what I'm getting is lost in blue crossed with 999/VLR (the why are we here aspect).

There's a lot of DTL approve Slam Dunk fan art.

A lot.

Whole lot.

Bunches.

It has good arts .

Though I have to get back to REAL.

---

Cross Manage 18

Second female love interest is really pushing the romance into the story alot. Hopefully Sakurai is oblivious and focuses on the game. Otherwise, when sports manga get to into the rules and explaining stuff they really get dull and boring, hence, skip text bubble tier chapter.

upandaway

Kurogane 1

Everyone sure got used to the ghost doll fast.

While I'm on a sports manga kick, is there any others I should check out?
What sports manga are you reading? Are board games fair?

One Piece - War Saga (Sabaody, Amazon Lily, Impel Down, Marineford, Post-War)

Definitely looking forward to the post-timeskip stuff. I hope they actually have details on how the crew have improved themselves in the two years. Especially Nico Robin. The Dragon plot elements are extremely interesting to me.
Side question: Did you know about the SHs split before reaching it? Did you know about the time skip? It seems like you didn't know about the deaths which is pretty impressive.

Always fun to see what you think about stuff

So me and Angry are the oldest ones here? :(

Except maybe for God's Beard? Hahaha.
Gunbo is older than everyone who specified their age so far (a lot older even)

I also think it's pretty shocking how major characters actually died at the end of the saga. The manga has always been so resistant to killing off any character, no matter how badly wounded they get. It's actually something I really enjoyed, because it gives a sense of hope for everyone - both heroes and villains, and getting beaten just means they learn from it and either improve their skills or change their outlook on the world to live a more peaceful life. Having Ace and Whitebeard actually killed, and making Luffy's entire mission just fall apart right in front of him is a pretty powerful sucker punch. I guess it's also the natural motivator for the time skip, so all the characters can get much stronger before they head into the New World.

I think that has been one of Oda's biggest blunders for story telling and writing. Whitebeard made sense to meet that fate but it didnt make sense for Ace. We had these huge multiple arcs and race through prison, bringing Luffy back from the doorstep of death, rallying all these allies of past foes, and all Luffy gets in the end is a big punch in the stomach and failure? Didnt really make sense to deliver such an awful and tragic end to the best arc he has ever penned and made everything that Luffy went through feel like an utter waste of time. Hopefully he has read other works by other mangaka and have learned better writing skills to improve his storytelling now. I still pray that somehow that vita vita fruit happens and Ace comes back, so we can at least finally get him, Sabo, and Luffy together, all for one as they reach their dreams in this grande adventure.

upandaway

Magi

DANG those fanalis. They sure were excited haha!

I love 'em, cute little fighters. I wanna see Mu fight for real though, he's been going pretty light which is a bit disappointing.
I really like Mu's perspective and how solid he is on what's going on. Sounds like he's got a lot to say but keeping himself in check, even if he made his position clear. The Fanalis in general seem to be pretty confident in their feelings, which is always great stuff.

Minamoto

Can he really do this?

Seems so, but, well, he also had Cousin in the same spot and look where that went.

Hayate

This is the best manga.

I love this manga.

Steroyd

I think that has been one of Oda's biggest blunders for story telling and writing. Whitebeard made sense to meant that fate but it didnt make sense for Ace. We had these huge multiple arcs and race through prison, bringing Luffy back from the doorstep of death, rallying all these allies of past foes, and all Luffy gets in the end is a big punch in the stomach and failure? Didnt really make sense to deliver such an awful and tragic end to the best arc he has ever penned and made everything that Luffy went through feel like an utter waste of time. Hopefully he has read other works by other mangaka and have learned better writing skills to improve his storytelling now. I still pray that somehow that vita vita fruit happens and Ace comes back, so we can at least finally get him, Sabo, and Luffy together, all for one as they reach their dreams in this grande adventure.

A Vita Vita fruit on an already DF'd Ace wouldn't work, he'd be re-killed the moment it revived him.

And from a storytelling perspective it was done brilliantly, it served to highlight how strong the big players of the New World were in comparison to Luffy, it also became the wake-up call to his crew that they can't just sit back and let Luffy take on everything by himself, I don't know how many manga's you've read, but that type of scenario to create a catalyst for the protag to get stronger is done very often.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Also, there's already a Devil Fruit that revives the dead. Brook ate it.

Ace isn't coming back. Deal with it.

Ezalc

I think that has been one of Oda's biggest blunders for story telling and writing. Whitebeard made sense to meant that fate but it didnt make sense for Ace. We had these huge multiple arcs and race through prison, bringing Luffy back from the doorstep of death, rallying all these allies of past foes, and all Luffy gets in the end is a big punch in the stomach and failure? Didnt really make sense to deliver such an awful and tragic end to the best arc he has ever penned and made everything that Luffy went through feel like an utter waste of time. Hopefully he has read other works by other mangaka and have learned better writing skills to improve his storytelling now. I still pray that somehow that vita vita fruit happens and Ace comes back, so we can at least finally get him, Sabo, and Luffy together, all for one as they reach their dreams in this grande adventure.

The power of friendship won't help you now DTL.

Yonafunu

This was the entire point of the arc. The whole point of the war and conclusion was to show how insignificant and weak Luffy, and by extension the whole crew, actually is, compared to the big players, especially in the New World. Luffy being in the war didn't make a difference; Ace died, and Luffy was useless. It's the motivation to grow stronger.

Stinky

Does this mean Dragonball Z will get colour print releases? I've been meaning to start reading Dragonball again, maybe buying the VizBigs.

Not sure how I feel about colour manga in the first place.. but if it was coloured with copic markers like the colour spreads you see in different Jump series that would be GLORIOUS.

Like this for example

EDIT: To be more specific, I'm on like volume 9 of Dragonball. I didn't read or watch it growing up like some a you chucklefucks.

Does this mean Dragonball Z will get colour print releases? I've been meaning to start reading Dragonball again, maybe buying the VizBigs.

Not sure how I feel about colour manga in the first place.. but if it was coloured with copic markers like the colour spreads you see in different Jump series that would be GLORIOUS.

EDIT: To be more specific, I'm on like volume 9 of Dragonball. I didn't read or watch it growing up like some a you chucklefucks.

Dragonball is getting a colour print release in JPN next week. Dont know if Viz would explore bringing that out here physically.

When you turn off your brain, DBZ can be some of the best entertainment available. Some good ass shit.

Indeed, the first Goku vs Vegeta fight will be etched into my memory for all of time (dat beam clash).

Plus i've been hearing that a new DBZ animated movie should be out soon and apparently its Toriyama approved?

Because its basically become timeless.

People love DBZ and i wouldn't be suprised if some of the older folks reappear to read it.

plus i'm suprised at the ages so far with most being over 20(?). Thought it would be skewed lower.

I'm not really disagreeing with what you're saying. I just think if anything most people would be interested in catching up on early Dragon Ball as I'm sure a lot of it's viewers(most I know at least) didn't come into the series until DBZ. Starting off at that point just seems odd, it's as if the first part doesn't exist in the US and they'd rather ignore it.

Also, there's already a Devil Fruit that revives the dead. Brook ate it.

Ace isn't coming back. Deal with it.
Unless...
Zombie_Ace__by_G0069.jpg

Indeed, the first Goku vs Vegeta fight will be etched into my memory for all of time (dat beam clash).

Plus i've been hearing that a new DBZ animated movie should be out soon and apparently its Toriyama approved?

Imagine the shitstorm if he came out and directly said that he considered GT canon.

Great troll or Greatest troll?

Well since they're doing all the translating, typesetting, etc, etc. anyways for the online service it could make sense to also release them physically?

Well I'll wait and see.

I think that is most likely, probably at least for Dragonball (havent they brought out every dragonball release, and rerelease?), but some stuff they have done digitally still have no physical release (Nisekoi for example, has had v1 done and v2 is also done digitally, and Takamagahara)

I'm not really disagreeing with what you're saying. I just think if anything most people would be interested in catching up on early Dragon Ball as I'm sure a lot of it's viewers(most I know at least) didn't come into the series until DBZ. Starting off at that point just seems odd, it's as if the first part doesn't exist in the US and they'd rather ignore it.

I honestly think thats what happened since Z appeared and catapulted to stardom then DB came afterwards, but according to the wiki

Thirteen episodes aired in first-run syndication during the fall of 1995 before Funimation cancelled the project due to low ratings and decided to shift their focus on the more action-oriented Dragon Ball Z.

So it looks like DB was given some chance but people didn't give a fuck.

Imagine the shitstorm if he came out and directly said that he considered GT canon.
Great troll or Greatest troll?

LOL.

Sounds like the movie is canon and will be placed somewhere in the period where they defeated Buu and the start of GT

Pyrokles

Neo Member

P.S. What did the fans reading One Piece weekly think about the chapter where they're all talking to Rayleigh and Luffy basically goes "NO SPOILERS! TELL ME AND I QUIT!" when Ussop was asking about the treasure? I thought that was pretty cool, because it served two purposes - 1) it teases readers with "hey, are you still interested in this larger mystery?", 2) it confirms that the actual direction of story is not so much about what One Piece is, but rather the journey to One Piece. I think it's a good thing to be able to dangle an "answer" in front of the audience and deny it from them, without making people really mad. It means that people are mostly reading the story for the story itself, and not for perceived promises of answers which could "justify" a lackluster ongoing story.

Yay, ducky finally got almost up to date on OP :D

Though I favor the more laid back and not too essay heavy (unless it's serious business Naruto/Bleach/One Piece time) side of ManGAF, I always like those longer impressions which are only possible to that extent when someone talks about chapter batches and not in the weekly/monthly release format.

Regarding your question, I felt like it was almost breaking the fourth wall as the scene mainly existed to address the reader to tell him that "Yes, it may take a while, but I haven't forgotten what the goal is. However let us have some fun with more adventures for now, since you're all like Luffy in that regard. You'd regret if afterwards if I sped through things."

Sengoku Youko

I actually like this better than Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer.

I thought it'd surpass LatBH for me towards the end of the first act, but the second act has been disappointing compared to the first one so far. I just don't find the new characters as interesting as the old ones and there's also the lack of a clearer goal compared to the first act.

Baby Steps 155-156

I wonder if we'll see the kid again depending on how long Ei-chan's career will be followed. So far there haven't been any such promises by characters that weren't followed up. The intereaction between Natsu and Ei-chan in the hotel was neat with Ei-chan getting flustered, his instinct and reason arguing and Natsu putting an end to that. Alas this indicates very slow development in their relationship. That may be expected but still a shame.

I really don't know what to make of how chapter 156 ended. It shouldn't be a big deal to lose a practice match once but the way it was used as a cliffhanger makes it seem like that'll lead to the way Ei-chan may use to beat Nabae.

One Piece 696

It isn't surprising that Luffy wants to fight the first three Yonkou, but the way it was worded I was suprised Shanks was included in that. Two translations I've read said "take down" and "wipe the floor with" and I find it weird for Luffy to use those phrases in reference to Shanks as it doesn't quite fit the level of respect Luffy has for him.

Otherwise a typical end-of-arc chapter, though I don't this kind of party has ever happened before everything was done, so I'm even more sure nothing will happen with Doflamingo if he arrives before the Strawhats leave. I wonder who Kinemon was referring too when he said to trust "they" are alright. I'm torn on whether I'd rather get the Wa no Kuni or Kaidou arc now so I hope the two aren't mutually exclusive.

And Law still not realizing how Luffy's mind works with that reaction was amusing.

I can't catch up on all my manga even though it's mostly just 1-2 chapters I'm behind, because I'm constantly dragged into playing Dota 2 by friends ;_;

Wiseblade

One Piece 696

It isn't surprising that Luffy wants to fight the first three Yonkou, but the way it was worded I was suprised Shanks was included in that. Two translations I've read said "take down" and "wipe the floor with" and I find it weird for Luffy to use those phrases in reference to Shanks as it doesn't quite fit the level of respect Luffy has for him.

I must be the only person who has no problem with it. Luffy knows that he's going to have to clash with Shanks at some point to become Pirate King, he always has. Yes, Luffy respects Shanks. But also sees him as someone to surpass. Luffy even says as much in the first chapter.

Solanin

Just read straight through this.
Have to make my mind up about it. I might post thoughts about it then.
Atm I feel some things.
Maybe a little better.
(I am happy that I am at the right age to have read it, dude was only 25 when he wrote it)

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I must be the only person who has no problem with it. Luffy knows that he's going to have to clash with Shanks at some point to become Pirate King, he always has. Yes, Luffy respects Shanks. But also sees him as someone to surpass. Luffy even says as much in the first chapter.

I've been saying that since they entered the Grandline. My only thought was if it'd be a fight because of a misunderstanding or one of those "welp you're blocking my goal I have no choice but to fight you but we both understand it would come to this".

I'm expecting the second scenario.

Tsuki Tsuki 20

Better than usual thanks to an abundance of meido. If the author'd just prune away the shitty characters (i.e. the main love interests) this could possibly graduate to being above average.

Samejima-kun & Sasahara-kun 1 - 7 (end)
tumblr_m5dd4giyq51qcff4ao1_500.gif

So glad dmp brought this over and released it in print, easily one of my favorite in the genre. As usual for my stories, friends together, one reveals he has feelings for him, confesses, and then they go on throughout trying to handle it. What I liked here was at least how silly it was at times and how Sasahara still stayed with Samejima and managed to get things to work out. Funniest scene was a restaurant scene with their friends and Sasahara started playing around and the usually calm and collected Samejima startled to fumble and around and kind of lose focus in front of everyone and such. Comedy moments in the chapter insert pages, a nice speech on friends and what not, as well as their faces really made it memorable.
Samejima afraid of being naked in front of Sasahara made me laugh so much, but then they did go all the way once he got over it the next day

Pyrokles

Neo Member

My problem is a lot in the detail of the exact way he said it. It was obvious Luffy would surpass Shanks in a fight, but maybe it's just an issue with the translation. The words used in the translation just sound like he sees Shanks as an obstacle on his path and not a milestone he has to reach. "Taking down" sounds like Shanks is someone who has to be taken off his high position and "wiping the floor with" just lacks the amount of respect Luffy has for him. I guess I'm sometimes just too nitpicky and get hung up on details like this.

Kusagari

I know. I really don't get what the deal people have with him saying that is. It's not like he wants to kill Shanks. He just wants to kick his ass and prove that he's surpassed him.

There's no way Luffy could ever consider himself Pirate King otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom