• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tales of Xillia SIDE;MILLA 01

019IxMTl.png

Basically tells me the intro of Milla's side of Xillia since Namco is taking its sweet time in releasing the game.

Stinky

Moteki c1-7

Thought it was really good. I know there is at least one person here who likes Again!! so check this out.

Found out the author of these works was female in the most mindblowing way possible:

The end of volume sendoff:

Kurita

Moteki c1-7

Thought it was really good. I know there is at least one person here who likes Again!! so check this out.

Found out the author of these works was female in the most mindblowing way possible:

Huh, I was going to start watching the drama adaptation actually but since there are no quality subs...

rouken

One Piece - Fishman Island Arc

It's nice to see the story calm down again post-timeskip. I find it rather enjoyable when the characters are actually able to explore a whole new type of setting in a more leisurely way without rushing towards a certain immediate goal. In many ways, this arc actually reminded me of Skypiea, except under the seas instead of in the sky. Except it wasn't as boring in the middle, lol.

The best parts of the arc in terms of action and general plotting would be firstly seeing the crew gather together again before taking off underwater, and then later on the major fight in the plaza where they all show off their new abilities gained during the timeskip. Franky's vehicles and the DOCKING was fucking amazing. Goddamn. Finally my dream of a Super Robot in One Piece was achieved! +_+ <-- I felt like Luffy and Chopper at that moment. ^^;

Thematically I didn't really enjoy the arc that much because it was mostly one large racism story trope. Really tired of those. They're in pretty much every Tales RPG, it's in Magi right now, and a bunch of other shit everywhere. So overused. >_<

To Oda's credit, the theme was something already foreshadowed long in advance, since the Sabaody arc, so it's something which would have to be explored eventually. What I did like though, was that the arc provided a lot of development and some closure to the running theme of Fishmen throughout the story so far. We've always known that Fishmen were one of the major non-human species in the One Piece world, but we've never really seen them in their natural habitat. Having a home country for them which ties into the origin of many of the Fishmen characters previously encountered was a pretty creative way of making the reader care more about the story arc.

What's especially interesting to me though, is how many open plot points there are by the end of the arc. The prophecy of Luffy destroying Fishman Island, Noah being saved and undergoing repairs, the revelation about Poseidon and Joy Boy... it all seems to strongly suggest that at some point in the future Fishman Island will indeed be destroyed and abandoned, with all the inhabitants being carried to the surface inside Noah, driven by the Sea Kings under the princess' command. If this is the case, then I have to wonder if the "Ancient Weapons" are really "weapons" as we imagine them to be, or if they're simply three powerful tools which can be used to change the world forever...

Oh well, now that I'm kinda caught up, I don't know if I want to read through an unfinished Punk Hazard. Since it's at chapter 696 now, the arc has to be almost done right? I guess I'll wait for Punk Hazard to finish before catching up on that, and then maybe I'll read One Piece weekly from then on.

awesome read, you really get the story points and themes on each arc. as a one piece fan, i love reading you're impressions. :)

also, you should watch the anime episode of the part where luffy lost all his nakama in sabaody. its a really great chapter in the manga but more engaging in the anime just like the merry's funeral.

The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword Special

This 32 page special is included at the end of Hyrule Historia and tells the story of the very first Link who predates the Link in Skyward Sword. It shows the events that lead to Skyloft rising into the clouds along with the Godess Hylia cradling the dying body of the first Link (who fought with the Master Sword to seal Demise and raise Skyloft into the heavens) and giving him power, saying he'll be reincarnated whenever the land needs a hero. It also shows the original Link meeting the red bird in the past and in the preset shows young Skyward Sword Link meeting the same bird and becoming it's partner.

The original Link was a lot edgier then the one were used to knowing and I think it worked really well, if we got a LoZ game where he talked and acted like that I don't think anyone would complain
they'd just bitch about something else
. As a bonus with Hyule Historia it was well done and enjoyable. Honestly if you're a fan of Zelda and don't order this book

tumblr_m4njl6jhGW1rv5j9yo1_500.gif

Moteki c1-7

Hah yeah that was pretty funny. It's a shame that both Moteki and Again!! are taking so long to get translations.

Tales of Vesperia 01-03

So another adaption of the another Tales games. This does start a lot better than the actual game, tossing you right into the action or the story instead of easing you into the world which is quite enjoyable for a manga. Nothing too outstanding otherwise, but still a good adaption.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword Special

This 32 page special is included at the end of Hyrule Historia and tells the story of the very first Link who predates the Link in Skyward Sword. It shows the events that lead to Skyloft rising into the clouds along with the Godess Hylia cradling the dying body of the first Link (who fought with the Master Sword to seal Demise and raise Skyloft into the heavens) and giving him power, saying he'll be reincarnated whenever the land needs a hero. It also shows the original Link meeting the red bird in the past and in the preset shows young Skyward Sword Link meeting the same bird and becoming it's partner.

The original Link was a lot edgier then the one were used to knowing and I think it worked really well, if we got a LoZ game where he talked and acted like that I don't think anyone would complain
they'd just bitch about something else
. As a bonus with Hyule Historia it was well done and enjoyable. Honestly if you're a fan of Zelda and don't order this book

tumblr_m4njl6jhGW1rv5j9yo1_500.gif

My copy hasn't shipped yet :(

7 Seeds, 121

It's crazy to think that Summer A still has to learn the concept of saying "no". And yes, it was a shame that Ango, Ryun and Hana weren't there. I highly doubt Mozu would've survived that encounter so easily. It was also weird seeing Mozu giving in so easily, but I guess there wasn't really a point in fighting at this point.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
GENSHIKEN

The appearance of Madarame the Pimp immediately improves this manga by a degree of 10.000%

And blushing Sue improves it even further by a degree of 100.000%

duckroll

One Piece stuff

Nice read

what are your thoughts on the actual villian(s) of the arc

I think the villains of the Fishman Island arc were pretty lame. In terms of power-level, probably the weakest bunch of scrubs since Long Ring Island and Amazon Lily. In terms of character importance and personality, probably just above Long Ring Island and maybe equal to Impel Down (aside from Blackbeard's appearance).

It feels like the villains here were all mostly engineered out of convenience (read: pulled out of the ass) to have some opposition in a story arc meant to show off other more important non-conflict stuff (the underwater world, the Fishmen backstory, Poseidon, the path to the New World, etc).

At the same time, most of the action is clearly meant to show off how much stronger the characters have become, so there's very little tension at all, but it does make the action more enjoyable to read in a sense that the reader is just cheering on the heroes as all the baddies get serious beat downs.

Let's look at the sample of pathetic villains offered in the arc:

- A bunch of scrub pretenders to try to steal the Straw Hat's identities, serving as comic relief at the start of the arc.

- Rookie lamer pirates who join up with said pretenders, only to get pissed later and go after the real deal for "revenge", serving as comic relief for the rest of the arc as the captain has caught and beaten up every step of the way.

- Crazy stalker loser whose only power is to lock-on to anything. Has no training, sucks at real combat.

- Gang of super racist Fishmen who are racist for no reason than the fact that they were written to be racist (wow, this was even an actual plot point at the end where they acknowledge they had no reason to be racist at all!) and they suck so much they have to take steroids to actually beat anyone up. Steroids which make them... get older and older each time they use them! Lulz.

Fucking awful bunch of lamers! Lol.

One Piece stuff

I think the villains of the Fishman Island arc were pretty lame. In terms of power-level, probably the weakest bunch of scrubs since Long Ring Island and Amazon Lily. In terms of character importance and personality, probably just above Long Ring Island and maybe equal to Impel Down (aside from Blackbeard's appearance).

It feels like the villains here were all mostly engineered out of convenience (read: pulled out of the ass) to have some opposition in a story arc meant to show off other more important non-conflict stuff (the underwater world, the Fishmen backstory, Poseidon, the path to the New World, etc).

At the same time, most of the action is clearly meant to show off how much stronger the characters have become, so there's very little tension at all, but it does make the action more enjoyable to read in a sense that the reader is just cheering on the heroes as all the baddies get serious beat downs.

Let's look at the sample of pathetic villains offered in the arc:

- A bunch of scrub pretenders to try to steal the Straw Hat's identities, serving as comic relief at the start of the arc.

- Rookie lamer pirates who join up with said pretenders, only to get pissed later and go after the real deal for "revenge", serving as comic relief for the rest of the arc as the captain has caught and beaten up every step of the way.

- Crazy stalker loser whose only power is to lock-on to anything. Has no training, sucks at real combat.

- Gang of super racist Fishmen who are racist for no reason than the fact that they were written to be racist (wow, this was even an actual plot point at the end where they acknowledge they had no reason to be racist at all!) and they suck so much they have to take steroids to actually beat anyone up. Steroids which make them... get older and older each time they use them! Lulz.

Fucking awful bunch of lamers! Lol.

Honestly I'm glad they were just racist to be racist instead of having some sort of tragic back story ala Arlong who had reasons for his hatred of humans that we learned about during the arc. Plus it fit with the theme of the arc

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Hey, the Fake Hats were awesome as hell.
Sorry, but no. They were boring, not funny, and a total waste of time. Not to mention they totally ruined the reunion I was looking forward to by botching it and splitting it all up. I was fine with everyone showing up at different times, that just makes sense. But the stupid FSH's shit was unnecessary.

These arcs remind me a lot of the mini arcs leading up to Arabasta.

Ceasar or Hodi being the equivalent of Wapol. Im assuming one of the warlords or Flamingo will be the main baddy.

In the Baroque Works saga it was clear that Crocodile would be the endgame, there was only him. This time around it's not so obvious since we've got Kaidou, Doflamingo, and even Big Mom in the picture. It's probably going to be messier than Alabasta.

Articalys

Jump Issue #10 TOC

Koi suru Edison (Lead CP, New Series)
Naruto
One Piece
PSI Kusuo Saiki
Bleach
Assassination Classroom (Center Colour)
Kuroko no Basket
Toriko
Shokugeki no Souma (Center Colour)
Nisekoi
Sket Dance
Haikyuu!!
Beelzebub
Gintama
Medaka Box
Kochikame
Hungry Joker
Cross Manage
Rookie Policewoman Kiruko-san
Retsu!!! Date-senpai (END)

And the other new series, World Trigger, starts next week.

Jump Issue #10 TOC

Naruto
One Piece
PSI Kusuo Saiki
Bleach
Kuroko no Basket
Toriko
Nisekoi
Sket Dance
Haikyuu!!
Beelzebub
Medaka Box
Kochikame
Hungry Joker
Cross Manage

So Rookie has been near the bottom almost every week it's been up for a rating except last week right? Means the series is probably going to die unless volume sales explode

Jump Issue #10 TOC

Naruto
One Piece
PSI Kusuo Saiki
Bleach
Kuroko no Basket
Toriko
Nisekoi
Sket Dance
Haikyuu!!
Beelzebub
Medaka Box
Kochikame
Hungry Joker
Cross Manage

Hoping that world trigger is the new title coming to weekly shonen jump here, since they seemed to imply they want to start actually new series.

Guess cross manage (this tournament is boring) and kiruko will end next...

I wish psi kusuo in english would hurry...

Sorry, but no. They were boring, not funny, and a total waste of time. Not to mention they totally ruined the reunion I was looking forward to by botching it and splitting it all up. I was fine with everyone showing up at different times, that just makes sense. But the stupid FSH's shit was unnecessary.

sorry but no you're the one wrong here they were awesome.

wonzo

Banned
The latest Medaka Box spoilers are pretty fuckin' insane.

Jump Issue #10 TOC

Naruto
One Piece
PSI Kusuo Saiki
Bleach
Kuroko no Basket
Toriko
Nisekoi
Sket Dance
Haikyuu!!
Beelzebub
Medaka Box
Kochikame
Hungry Joker
Cross Manage

Nice to see Medaka Box slowly climb back up and good riddance to Kiruko.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Honestly I'm glad they were just racist to be racist instead of having some sort of tragic back story ala Arlong who had reasons for his hatred of humans that we learned about during the arc. Plus it fit with the theme of the arc

I agree with this.
I wouldn't rank Hody and his gang as good villains, they were still fodder. But their racism comes from a real place, years of anger towards humans from fishmen they idolized. While they never had trouble with humans, their environment and ideals lead to a radical fishmen group. People being racist despite having nothing done to them is a very real thing.
Hell, Freeza from Dragon Ball did most of what he did out of racism and fear. While he feared the Super Saiyan, he still wiped out the race while gleefully referring to them as monkeys.

Decken was a case of "weak character, awesome power". I could totally use the Mark Mark Fruit to troll people, and when I get bored I would move on. Instead, he focused on the giant Mermaid princess. Oh well.

The Fake Hats did lead to a couple of funny things related to the anime. Like "We Were", a cover of "We Are" by the Fake Hats, and how the voices were other Straw Hats. Like Fake Luffy was played by real Sanji.

Jump Issue #10 TOC

Naruto
One Piece
PSI Kusuo Saiki
Bleach
Kuroko no Basket
Toriko
Nisekoi
Sket Dance
Haikyuu!!
Beelzebub
Medaka Box
Kochikame
Hungry Joker
Cross Manage

Wow, how did Bleach get up there? Highest it's been in a long time.
Good riddance to Date-senpai. So stupid that nobody bothered to scanlate it. Probably would have been difficult since it was a gag manga.
I imagine Cross Manage is the next to go, especially with how low it's been. Then Hungry Joker or Kiruko. Unless volume sales save them.

FYC

Banned
D. Gray Man Vol. 2 (Chap. 8-16)

I enjoyed this arc. The fights were fun, and Allen's new weapon was neat. Relationship between the doll and the human was nice. Kanda is a pretty cool character as well so far, I feared he would end up like this, but so far, so good. Happy to see that Viz is still publishing this, both physically and digitally. Hopefully they keep going 'til the end. Or maybe I'll stop reading after the switch from weekly to monthly since I hear it's so awful, but I'll find out myself.

Also, I'm overjoyed to find out I'm not the only one who thinks Reborn is a huge piece of shit. I'll admit I liked the Mukuro and Varia arcs, but goddamn. Everything else was painful to read.

IHaveIce

Banned
Guys a question about One Piece, I thought maybe ManGAF can answer it for me.

A friend of mine reminded my just today that after Thriller Bark it was teased that something was behind the mist and you could see a shadow and even something "glowing" like a pair of eyes.

Now is my question did we ever found out what that was? I really can't remember all the stuff that Oda teases and he reveals those thing like 300 chapters later most of the time.

789shadow

Banned
Guys a question about One Piece, I thought maybe ManGAF can answer it for me.

A friend of mine reminded my just today that after Thriller Bark it was teased that something was behind the mist and you could see a shadow and even something "glowing" like a pair of eyes.

Now is my question did we ever found out what that was? I really can't remember all the stuff that Oda teases and he reveals those thing like 300 chapters later most of the time.
No.

Mr. Fix

Ducky's impressions are always a treat to read.

They suck for their role in the manga. Looking at them aside from them wasting panel time, I can see why people like them. Hell, they even had the fakes sing the OP theme song.

Ya'll a bunch of haters.

Good god...

Anyway, last year must have been pretty awful for manga-Wednesdays. We had FI, Fullbring, and Naruto.

Ducky's impressions are always a treat to read.

They suck for their role in the manga. Looking at them aside from them wasting panel time, I can see why people like them. Hell, they even had the fakes sing the OP theme song.

Good god...

Anyway, last year must have been pretty awful for manga-Wednesdays. We had FI, Fullbring, and Naruto.

Last year I think Fridays were pretty big. People still read Fairy Tail, HSDK was discussed, and TWGOK was climaxing.

789shadow

Banned
Dang, thanks.

Wonder if Oda can keep all this stuff in his head and it really will be relevant again
I don't think it's actually something we'll ever see again. The thing with Thriller Bark is that at the end of the arc you think that Moriah and his ship were behind the disappearances that made the Florian Triangle famous. But then NOPE. There is actually a giant monster. End of that plotline.

Woo Bleach in the top 5. Naruto #1 is something I don't think it deserves but w/e.

The Fake Straw Hats were annoying but funny. I disliked the reunion because of how rushed it was and it led to the boring Fisherman Island arc as well. >.<

Thinking of reading Kenshin again from the beginning.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Woo Bleach in the top 5. Naruto #1 is something I don't think it deserves but w/e.

The Fake Straw Hats were annoying but funny. I disliked the reunion because of how rushed it was and it led to the boring Fisherman Island arc as well. >.<

Thinking of reading Kenshin again from the beginning.

Kenshin's Tomoe arc was amazing, one of the best in the manga. The OVA upped it up to amazing new heights too.

It's funny though how Watsuki openly displayed his displeasure about how the OVA ended. The guy's in love with his happy endings after all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom