• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynedom

...because he's always been the most volatile?

He's never done anything truly outrageous. I'd also say that Ango is (well was) far more volatile than Arashi has been at any point in the manga. I see Arashi having his "moment" before this is done. It might have already happened given what he was told the last time we saw him.

edit: Maybe my wording is wrong but I see him having a completely different personality by the end of this manga and/or blowing up huge.

Magi: The Magic of the Labyrinth - 01

...saw everyone else reading it.

Gooood, GOOOOD!

7seeds island

Still dunno what to make of this we barely got to know the first group before jumping to the other. The one well done moment was when the two leads both flash backed to realizing their parents were sending then off hence them acting odd. When does this series really start to pick up cause its still not doing much for me.

Tower of God 1-129

Spend the last five hours reading this. When I first started reading this, I thought it was sweet how Baam kept chasing after Rachel. Rak and Koon were such great characters and their interaction was nice all-round. The secondary cast was good too. The author really knows how to write enjoyable characters.
The art evolution wasn't bad either.
But, man.
That Rachel turned out to be a bitch.

Part 2 starts off nice as well. The new cast
after the time skip
took some getting used to. But they really get to you. Nice interactions between characters. Though that
the fact that they redeemed Prince didn't sit well with me for a while. When Lurker killed Nia, never forget... but seriously Wangnan, you're just as bad as Shulk. No I wouldn't forgive him. Lurker lied to and then killed him. Nia died for nothing. Ah well, at least we'll never see him again.
I'm glad they at least make some perception on what's morally redeemable. I'm really enjoying the fleshed-out world.
Rak is the best character.

Anyways, 129. I like where this is going.
Koon probably won't realize that Viole's Baam

Tower of God 1-129

Spend the last five hours reading this. When I first started reading this, I thought it was sweet how Baam kept chasing after Rachel. Rak and Koon were such great characters and their interaction was nice all-round. The secondary cast was good too. The author really knows how to write enjoyable characters.
The art evolution wasn't bad either.
But, man.
That Rachel turned out to be a bitch.

Part 2 starts off nice as well. The new cast
after the time skip
took some getting used to. But they really get to you. Nice interactions between characters. Though that
the fact that they redeemed Prince didn't sit well with me for a while. When Lurker killed Nia, never forget... but seriously Wangnan, you're just as bad as Shulk. No I wouldn't forgive him. Lurker lied to and then killed him. Nia died for nothing. Ah well, at least we'll never see him again.
I'm glad they at least make some perception on what's morally redeemable. I'm really enjoying the fleshed-out world.
Rak is the best character.

Anyways, 129. I like where this is going.
Koon probably won't realize that Viole's Baam

I was the same way with part 2. It took me a while to get used to them, and I still don't think they are as well fleshed out as part 1's cast, but I came around to them. I like that the part 2 cast has more varying personalities where as most of part 1's cast were all good. Well, the people that sided with Baam/Koon at least.

That Nia part was rough...

Also agree with your best character. Mini Rak was the best.

Cwarrior

The only post-timeskip design I dislike is Nami. Can't she wear a shirt?

Seriously what is this woman's beef with shirts, I dislike her time skip outfits, fan services clothing needs to get the hell out of one piece.

pre time skip nami > post time skip nami
pre time skip robin > post time skip robin

REAL 2

Backlog is reaching to be way too long so will just chip away at manga whenever Ive got spare time. Anyway, I think what I really like in this manga is whenever the focus is on Togawa. Couldnt really care for the random stuff with the girl coach or whatever or much of Nomiya's story portion as its just kind of dull and well there really is no dream or aspiration for him to get beyond, just having a job and remaining a dropout. Dont understand why he even left school. Anyway hope Togawa gets way more screentime.

May start Eyeshield cause that one character looks really cool.

Azure J

I'm gonna be blunt, Nami's outfit isn't as bad as you guys make it sound. Maybe I'm just desensitized, but it's neither here nor there for me. Only real comment I can make on it is how silly it is to wear during this current arc with the freezing half of the island and everything... :lol

He's going to pull an Arc Gurren Laggan and dock with the Sunny one day, I just know it. It'll be the greatest thing we've ever seen.

This is almost "The Legend of Zelda: Link on a Blimp" levels of random GAF speculation I want to see pan out.

Magi: The Magic of the Labyrinth - 01

...saw everyone else reading it.

i6VqmzNv5wyd7.gif

Kurita

I dunno if I'll click DTL links when he talks about Eyeshield 21.
Shit's sacred in my eyes, it will ruin everything.

I'm sure you'll like it though, there's friendship, manly tears and good looking boys.
(Yamato is my husbando yo)

Gokukoku no Brynhildr 39

The Esteemed Council of Shadowy Chairs remain uninteresting villains. It's probably a side effect from finishing a Medaka Box marathon, but I'd prefer it if they were more individual, or at least if we were given some more info on them.

Brynhildr

Wait... what's Nanami's hidden ability? I don't remember that.
She's extra resilient
to stain removers.

I liked her, I don't know why I keep doing this.

upandaway

Oh wow hey look! It's another one of those craaazy wacky empty posts!

Been a while since I've seen that, I really thought GAF ironed out these bugs

scy

I think Nami looks better with long hair.

Agreed.

Dude, I just finished Eyeshield, its fucking amazing. Knowing your tastes, your going to fall in love with it.

Knowing his tastes, I'm not sure he'll like the character he linked (Hiruma). Then again ... Sena x Monta doesn't seem like it'd be amazing either. Some of the other duos, though...

...oh god why am I thinking this way.

I dunno if I'll click DTL links when he talks about Eyeshield 21.
Shit's sacred in my eyes, it will ruin everything.

He hasn't even started and I'm already picturing things. It'll be that much different when the actual images are everywhere!

Gooood, GOOOOD!

7seeds island

Still dunno what to make of this we barely got to know the first group before jumping to the other. The one well done moment was when the two leads both flash backed to realizing their parents were sending then off hence them acting odd. When does this series really start to pick up cause its still not doing much for me.

It starts to get good on Team Winter

Man it's been forever since I've seen an update for this one.

;________________;

bigkrev

Knowing his tastes, I'm not sure he'll like the character he linked (Hiruma). Then again ... Sena x Monta doesn't seem like it'd be amazing either. Some of the other duos, though...

He might end up a Hiruma x Musashi fan. But most likely a Sena x Riku fan (cause there basically brothers).

Gooood, GOOOOD!

7seeds island

finish the first 4 volumes at least. everyone has the same reactions as you. the introduction of team winter on is a huge improvement.

Dynedom

7seeds island

Keep going and be prepared...When it gets going, its incredible

Agreed.

He hasn't even started and I'm already picturing things. It'll be that much different when the actual images are everywhere!

But Hiruma seems the best, and whoever the sena dude is has good arts with hiruma. The round healthy looking dude doesnt seem all that good.

One Piece - Fishman Island Arc

It's nice to see the story calm down again post-timeskip. I find it rather enjoyable when the characters are actually able to explore a whole new type of setting in a more leisurely way without rushing towards a certain immediate goal. In many ways, this arc actually reminded me of Skypiea, except under the seas instead of in the sky. Except it wasn't as boring in the middle, lol.

The best parts of the arc in terms of action and general plotting would be firstly seeing the crew gather together again before taking off underwater, and then later on the major fight in the plaza where they all show off their new abilities gained during the timeskip. Franky's vehicles and the DOCKING was fucking amazing. Goddamn. Finally my dream of a Super Robot in One Piece was achieved! +_+ <-- I felt like Luffy and Chopper at that moment. ^^;

Thematically I didn't really enjoy the arc that much because it was mostly one large racism story trope. Really tired of those. They're in pretty much every Tales RPG, it's in Magi right now, and a bunch of other shit everywhere. So overused. >_<

To Oda's credit, the theme was something already foreshadowed long in advance, since the Sabaody arc, so it's something which would have to be explored eventually. What I did like though, was that the arc provided a lot of development and some closure to the running theme of Fishmen throughout the story so far. We've always known that Fishmen were one of the major non-human species in the One Piece world, but we've never really seen them in their natural habitat. Having a home country for them which ties into the origin of many of the Fishmen characters previously encountered was a pretty creative way of making the reader care more about the story arc.

What's especially interesting to me though, is how many open plot points there are by the end of the arc. The prophecy of Luffy destroying Fishman Island, Noah being saved and undergoing repairs, the revelation about Poseidon and Joy Boy... it all seems to strongly suggest that at some point in the future Fishman Island will indeed be destroyed and abandoned, with all the inhabitants being carried to the surface inside Noah, driven by the Sea Kings under the princess' command. If this is the case, then I have to wonder if the "Ancient Weapons" are really "weapons" as we imagine them to be, or if they're simply three powerful tools which can be used to change the world forever...

Oh well, now that I'm kinda caught up, I don't know if I want to read through an unfinished Punk Hazard. Since it's at chapter 696 now, the arc has to be almost done right? I guess I'll wait for Punk Hazard to finish before catching up on that, and then maybe I'll read One Piece weekly from then on.

Nice read

what are your thoughts on the actual villian(s) of the arc

bigkrev

I'd like a 4koma manga with Eyeshield 21 characters.
Or like a spin-off like the Naruto SD thing.

After chapter 100, I was surprised they never did another 4koma chapter. I think they had a few more as vol extras, but that stopped pretty early as well.

Tales of Vesperia ~Flynn Seinaru Hakugin no Kishi~ 01-02

LPN9xDdl.png

Featuring Flynn and that's all that matters.

Not bad, focuses on Flynn and his sense of justice. Will definitely like to see where this series goes.

bigkrev

Every time Hiruma changed his backstory I wholeheartedly believed it. "What? I was kidding about that"

Haha oh my god I love ES21

He got one of my favorite moments in the series in the game against the Dinosaurs when
He gets knocked out of the game, and comes back barely able to stand but masks his injury to bluff the other team
. He has an awesome character arc.

mercviper

Every time Hiruma changed his backstory I wholeheartedly believed it. "What? I was kidding about that"

Haha oh my god I love ES21

Oddly enough, the Shogi one was pretty damn close to the mark.

The whole third question thing was awesome because I had forgotten about it too, and this is me reading chapters back to back.

Stinky

Does anyone still read Genshiken? The new one isn't awful but I'm not in love with it either. Every month when a new chapter comes out I'm reminded that the series actually exists.

I really, really liked the first series. I was legit sad when I finished it, probably because it was so damn bittersweet at the end

oh and Genshiken 84
So much blushing. Even Sue!!

Akito

I do. The second series is alright, the fujoshi talks did get stale after a while, the original cast was way more diverse therefore interesting. Maybe that's why Madarame is getting more and more screentime.

fVV1Yl.png

Renai Boukun 1

Wasn't really impressed with the manga until the page with Akane going Yandere. Instantly became my fave when she pulled out the knives.

So long as she keeps appearing, I'll keep reading.

inari-konkon-koi-iroha-img-1.jpg

Inari Konkon Koi Iroha 1

Usually not into these types of manga's but this is actually quite nice. Inari doesn't irritate me like other female protagonist and the plot is actually kinda interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom